PDA

View Full Version : Dear BA, let Dennis roll out a little more next week, please

steelblood
09-13-2010, 09:09 AM
BA,

First, I loved the fake end around to El-screen back the other way to Mendy on first drive of the game. It was a very well designed play.

Next week, would you please get Dennis out of the pocket on designed roll outs and bootlegs a little more. It gets him in space where he can beat linebackers and safeties with the run and make simplified reads with receivers in front of him. He also has great arm strength and passable accuracy to throw deep if safeties rush up to tackle him and leave their posts. It plays to his strengths and puts a lot of pressure on defenses as they need to commit more than one player to shadowing our QB. This will be a good alternative on 1st down.

Thanks very much,
steelblood.

bostonsteeler
09-13-2010, 09:19 AM
BA,

First, I loved the fake end around to El-screen back the other way to Mendy on first drive of the game. It was a very well designed play.

Next week, would you please get Dennis out of the pocket on designed roll outs and bootlegs a little more. It gets him in space where he can beat linebackers and safeties with the run and make simplified reads with receivers in front of him. He also has great arm strength and passable accuracy to throw deep if safeties rush up to tackle him and leave their posts. It plays to his strengths and puts a lot of pressure on defenses as they need to commit more than one player to shadowing our QB. This will be a good alternative on 1st down.

Thanks very much,
steelblood.

Dear Steelblood,

While at it, could you also pray for me to win the Powerball lottery. The odds are better and I promise to give you 1% of the winnings..

-B

steelblood
09-13-2010, 09:30 AM
BA,

Thanks very much,
steelblood.

Dear Steelblood,

While at it, could you also pray for me to win the Powerball lottery. The odds are better and I promise to give you 1% of the winnings..

-B

Shhhh! I'm trying something different here.

Oviedo
09-13-2010, 09:31 AM
BA,

Thanks very much,
steelblood.

Hopefully it was just a matter of letting Dixon get his feet under him and staying conservative. I think we will see rollouts and other things added each week he is in there.

Steelers>NFL
09-13-2010, 09:37 AM
BA,

Thanks very much,
steelblood.

Hopefully it was just a matter of letting Dixon get his feet under him and staying conservative. I think we will see rollouts and other things added each week he is in there.

You know this is BA we are talking about? So thinking and hoping are two different things.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
09-13-2010, 09:51 AM
You guys are asking for too much. Do you know that Dixon has only done that once in his career as a starter in the regular season??? What do you want from the guy?

Oh yeah, it went for a TD against Baltimore. :lol:

NorthCoast
09-13-2010, 10:35 PM
The offensive gameplan in general was very blah. I suppose that was due to circumstances with a young QB, but it makes the defense's job a whole lot easier when they know only about a dozen plays will be run. I, too, was surprised at the lack of moving the QB and wondered if it was the coaching staff forcing Dixon to become a pocket passer.
Dixon has a whole lot of room for improvement, like not staring down your receiver. But for only his second game and it being opening day, I think he did fine and really about what I expected.

Starlifter
09-13-2010, 11:08 PM
a smart offensive coordinator could design a game plan that is not only conservative for a young QB but takes advantage of the natural gifts that athlete has. To keep Dixon a 3 step pocket passer 20% of the time and hand off the other 80% is crazy. If that was the game plan, he should have just parked Charlie back there. Batch would have made better decisions, better throws and not taken 2 sacks in a row at the end of the 4th quarter.

Of course that's what a smart OC would do......... :evil:

papillon
09-14-2010, 09:48 AM
Remember that roll outs may make the reads easier, but you effectively eliminate half of the field for the defense to cover. You can only have so many receivers running routes to one side of the field, so you likely eliminate a WR or two as an option. You can get routes with depth, short, medium and deep, but that's a bout it with a QB rolling one way or another.

It does, however, give Dixon the option to make something happen with his feet and that's a good thing, it's hids best attribute right now.

Pappy

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
09-14-2010, 10:22 AM
I don't know, but maybe the reason that they aren't rolling Dixon out is that if he gets hit hard enough then Batch comes in.