PDA

View Full Version : Timmons???

Oviedo
09-13-2010, 08:06 AM
Anyone out there still want to come on the board and continue sounding like an idiot and criticize him?

Kid is only 24 years old and will be a Pro Bowler soon. He was the best LB on the field yesterday and it wasn't even close.

frankthetank1
09-13-2010, 08:15 AM
timmons played lights out!! not really a suprise though. its a huge luxury to have a guy as flexible as timmons who can also play OLB. i think this game was one of many great games timmons will have this season. he was awesome against the run which has been his weak area.

papillon
09-13-2010, 08:21 AM
I would vote him the game ball from yesterday's game. He was the most consistent player on the field for the Steelers.

Although, in fairness to those criticizing him, it is only one game. If he can produce like that all year, the defense will be very stingy in giving up points.

Pappy

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
09-13-2010, 08:24 AM
He was very young when he gt here. I have seen big strides every year and that is what you want to see. He was a force against the Falcons. I hope this is a sign of the year he is about to have.

feltdizz
09-13-2010, 08:29 AM
Timmon's was a monster yesterday.

steelblood
09-13-2010, 08:39 AM
He was very good. I think his contract expires after 2011. He is beginning to make himself very expensive. It is important that we resign him after we've invested so much (high #1 and development years) in him.

SidSmythe
09-13-2010, 09:51 AM
I will eat crow.

His mind has caught up w/ his legs!! Wow. I agree...he was relentless

I'm sorry Mr. Timmons, I am really, really sorry!! :Clap

Oviedo
09-13-2010, 10:45 AM
He was very good. I think his contract expires after 2011. He is beginning to make himself very expensive. It is important that we resign him after we've invested so much (high #1 and development years) in him.

The Steelers rarely let players who are high draft choices walk after their first contract if they are performing at a high level. Unless of course they are dopers.

Signing Woodley and Timmons will be expensive but I think you have to keep both. Odd man out will definitely be Farrior and also could be Harrison, but more likely the dollars will come from Aaron Smith or Brett Kiesel's contracts.

BradshawsHairdresser
09-13-2010, 11:15 AM

The Steelers rarely let players who are high draft choices walk after their first contract if they are performing at a high level. Unless of course they are dopers.

Signing Woodley and Timmons will be expensive but I think you have to keep both. Odd man out will definitely be Farrior and also could be Harrison, but more likely the dollars will come from Aaron Smith or Brett Kiesel's contracts.

The Steelers did not sign Woodley. He is a free agent following this season. It will be quite difficult to re-sign him now. They might put the franchise tag on him, and keep him around another year...But the way they've done business in the past, if they had intended to keep him around long-term, they would have extended him before the season started. It's probably no accident they drafted two OLB's this year...they're likely hoping one of them will be Woodley's replacement.

Oviedo
09-13-2010, 11:19 AM

The Steelers did not sign Woodley. He is a free agent following this season. It will be quite difficult to re-sign him now. They might put the franchise tag on him, and keep him around another year...But the way they've done business in the past, if they had intended to keep him around long-term, they would have extended him before the season started. It's probably no accident they drafted two OLB's this year...they're likely hoping one of them will be Woodley's replacement.

I didn't say they signed Woodley. "Will be" is future tense.

Woodley's value would be based on the kind of season he has this year. I think they can still keep both him and Timmons but someone else will have to be sacrificed.

Big contracts we may have to shed: Smith, Kiesel, Ward, Farrior or Ike Taylor. Not all but probably at least two or three of them.

AngryAsian
09-13-2010, 11:30 AM

When we signed him to his rookie contract... he was going to be expensive. I'm just glad he hasn't made the pro-bowl in his previous years. People forget his agent is Drew "I'm going to stick it to the owner" Rosenhaus. He'll be expensive to re-sign regardless.

StarSpangledSteeler
09-13-2010, 12:37 PM
Anyone out there still want to come on the board and continue sounding like an idiot and criticize him?

Kid is only 24 years old and will be a Pro Bowler soon. He was the best LB on the field yesterday and it wasn't even close.

I believe Oviedo has been a Timmons supporter since day one, and has taken a lot of crap over the years for sticking up for him. I know it's only one game, but I have a feeling the word "VINDICATION" will be coming shortly.

papillon
09-13-2010, 12:41 PM

They couldn't offer him a deal that was fair to the Steelers or him because of the 30% increase rule. The Steelers would have had to give him an unheard of amount in guaranteed money to pay him according to his performance. Once the CBA is in place and the new rules are established the Steelers will offer him a deal that is commensurate with his performance. If there isn't a lockout next year, Timmons will be signed as well and some vets will either be released or asked to take decreases in salary, IMO.

The Steelers simply don't allow their young talent to walk.

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
09-13-2010, 12:42 PM

Woodley is not signed because of the uncertainty of no CBA and the absurdity of the 30% rule (not because we are looking to replace him). Because of the value of his rookie contract as a mid-2nd round pick, we would need to pay him in the neighborhood of $40 million guaranteed in order to work out a long-term extension with him right now. When there is a new collective bargaining agreement, we won't have such restrictive stipulations. Those rookie LB's were drafted because our only legit depth at OLB was our starting ILB (Andre Frazier and Pat Bailey? Seriously?). OLB is a vital position in the 3-4, so an injection of young depth was needed. That's all that should be read into those particular draft picks at this time.

Oviedo
09-13-2010, 01:01 PM

I believe Oviedo has been a Timmons supporter since day one, and has taken a lot of crap over the years for sticking up for him. I know it's only one game, but I have a feeling the word "VINDICATION" will be coming shortly.

Yea Baby!!!!!!!!!

We have drafted two 20 year old college players since Tomlin got here and both were key in yesterday's victory...Timmons and Mendenhall.

Just shows that letting our team that has been stocked with talented veterans develop their young players is the right way to go versus falling in love with rookies who are pushed into starting roles on bad teams and using that as a pretext to criticize your front office and coaching staff.

Lebsteel
09-13-2010, 01:19 PM
I'd still rather have Posluszny!!

OK, just pulling your chain...but, I'd still love to see Poz in black and gold!

Oviedo
09-13-2010, 01:24 PM

Crazy person!!!!!!!!

Captain Lemming
09-13-2010, 01:29 PM

I know they were in the same draft and it was an either or situation but they would really compliment each other well on the inside. Very different strengths.

Lebsteel
09-13-2010, 02:29 PM

Crazy person!!!!!!!!
The way Sly was playing in the preseason, I will be happy to see him step in to replace Farrior next year. I do agree with Captain, Poz has different strengths than Timmons and would compliment Timmons very well. But Timmons was a beast yesterday and I really hope he can continue that level of play. Speaking of young LBers, I watched part of the game again and Worilds was great on STs. He made at least 3 tackles and was often one of the first players down the field. :tt1

Dee Dub
09-13-2010, 02:33 PM
Timmons was good no doubt but did anyone notice how he did most of his damage when Casey Hampton was in the game? No coincidence. Big Snack it a major force and he frees up those inside guys. I think he is the most important player on defense.

RuthlessBurgher
09-13-2010, 04:08 PM
Timmons was good no doubt but did anyone notice how he did most of his damage when Casey Hampton was in the game? No coincidence. Big Snack it a major force and he frees up those inside guys. I think he is the most important player on defense.

While Snack is indeed awesome, Hoke is no slouch. Mike Turner averaged 2.2 yards with Hoke in there for half the game.

feltdizz
09-13-2010, 04:14 PM

The 3-4 all starts with the NT. Timmons tore it up in the 2nd half too.

Our D played pretty good. The one problem I see is the 10 yard out... it's there all day unless Troy jumps it. LOL!!!!

The Tennessee game will be interesting. Tennessee put together a nice highlight package last week. Stopping CJ will be much harder.

ikestops85
09-13-2010, 04:23 PM

Yea Baby!!!!!!!!!

We have drafted two 20 year old college players since Tomlin got here and both were key in yesterday's victory...Timmons and Mendenhall.

Just shows that letting our team that has been stocked with talented veterans develop their young players is the right way to go versus falling in love with rookies who are pushed into starting roles on bad teams and using that as a pretext to criticize your front office and coaching staff.

I believe Pouncey was 20 when he was drafted also so that makes 3 20 year old college players since Tomlin got here that were key in yesterday's victory.

:tt2 :tt2

Snatch98
09-13-2010, 04:40 PM

I've been on the Timmons wagon since day one because of the burst and quickness I saw in him at Florida State. I'm glad he's finally getting the full time start to showcase it. The front office has handled his development perfectly. They'll sign both Woodley and Timmons and Harrison isn't going anywhere. Harrison will retire a Steeler if you ask me.

Either way he was a monster yesterday and one of our new comers Worilds was EVERYWHERE on special teams. I think the guy was in on every tackle on kick offs yesterday. We have great, great LB depth, maybe the best we've ever had.

BradshawsHairdresser
09-13-2010, 06:17 PM

I would characterize the drop-off after Hampton went out as barely noticeable. I thought Timmons played great all game long.

NorthCoast
09-13-2010, 10:50 PM
OK, I will man up. If anyone cared to search, I was a known Timmons doubter in years 1 and 2. Have to say his game has completely changed in the span of a year and a half. He has shown he 'gets it' and has improved his strength and leverage to the point that he is no longer a liability but really now a force in run defense (I never doubted his coverage ability). This is a tribute to Timmons for his hard work and the coaching staff in getting the guy to play at his current level.

Eddie Spaghetti
09-13-2010, 11:07 PM
i really fail to see what the timmons detractors have to be so sorry about and be called idiots for wanting to see him live up to his draft status.

if expecting major contributions from a top 15 pick in his 4th season is a crime, then sue me. our 2nd pick that year made a pretty big impact and has steadily improved each year.

and save the timmons was only 20 years old when he was drafted bit. that one is played out. again, you only have to look at this years 1st rounder taken around the same time to see how it can be done. at the C position, no less.

kudos to LT for picking up his game. its about time.

AngryAsian
09-13-2010, 11:08 PM
Back during yesteryear on the old Trib board... during the time of year that is known as "MOCK DRAFT MANIA".... there was one poster regardless of how much opposition he got had him in his mock draft and made the call that the Steelers would take Lawrence Timmons.... and sure enough we drafted him in the first round. He was THE Timmons supporter and always has been...

Great call, Chadman.

StarSpangledSteeler
09-14-2010, 12:28 AM

I've been on the Timmons wagon since day one because of the burst and quickness I saw in him at Florida State. I'm glad he's finally getting the full time start to showcase it. The front office has handled his development perfectly. They'll sign both Woodley and Timmons and Harrison isn't going anywhere. Harrison will retire a Steeler if you ask me.

Either way he was a monster yesterday and one of our new comers Worilds was EVERYWHERE on special teams. I think the guy was in on every tackle on kick offs yesterday. We have great, great LB depth, maybe the best we've ever had.

The one big advantage of trading away Holmes is that we SHOULD have enough money now to re-sign some of our defensive stars. Spaeth, Colon, Essex, Gay, Hoke, and others could possibly be coming off the books after this season, as well as potential cuts like Batch, ARE, Battle, Farrior, Foote. Hopefully that gives us enough to re-sign Woodley, Timmons, and Ike.

Chadman
09-14-2010, 12:35 AM
Back during yesteryear on the old Trib board... during the time of year that is known as "MOCK DRAFT MANIA".... there was one poster regardless of how much opposition he got had him in his mock draft and made the call that the Steelers would take Lawrence Timmons.... and sure enough we drafted him in the first round. He was THE Timmons supporter and always has been...

Great call, Chadman.

Thank you Asian... :D

Chadman maintains we got the 2nd & 3rd best LB's in the draft that year- with only the 49er's Patrick Willis a superior player.

Discipline of Steel
09-14-2010, 08:15 AM

I just cant believe when i hear people talk about letting Harrison go or 'shedding' Wards contract. ???

Those are the Steelers top two professionals right there.

Oviedo
09-14-2010, 08:33 AM

Great call, Chadman.

Thank you Asian... :D

Chadman maintains we got the 2nd & 3rd best LB's in the draft that year- with only the 49er's Patrick Willis a superior player.

Agree. Our LB haul that year was outstanding

hawaiiansteel
09-14-2010, 05:54 PM
Titanic task: Timmons must help curtail explosive back

By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, September 14, 2010

http://files.pittsburghlive.com/photos/2010-09-13/0914sttimmons-a.jpg

Lawrence Timmons
Chaz Palla | Tribune-Review

Lawrence Timmons answers to "Law Dawg," and the moniker that Steelers coach Mike Tomlin gave him in 2007 is now more than just a play on his name.

"He's the new sheriff in town," fellow inside linebacker James Farrior said. "I feel like it's his time this year."

The emerging Timmons figures to be a central figure Sunday when the Steelers try to corral Chris Johnson.

Johnson is the reigning NFL Offensive Player of the Year, and the third-year running back is out of the blocks quickly in his quest to rush for 2,500 yards this season.

Timmons and the Steelers shut down Michael Turner in a 15-9 win over the Falcons, but Johnson, who gashed the Raiders for 142 rushing yards and two touchdowns Sunday, presents a different challenge.

"Both of them like to cut back, but the speed between the two is night and day," Timmons said a day after he registered 11 tackles, including three for a loss, in the Steelers' season opener. "(Johnson) is a guy that can take it to the house. Not saying Turner can't either, but speed kills."

The good news for the Steelers? They have held Johnson to 126 rushing yards and a touchdown on 31 carries in the two games they have played against the 5-foot-11, 191-pounder.

The not-so-good news: Johnson has cracked the 100-yard mark in 11 consecutive games and averaged 141.1 rushing yards per contest during that span.

Timmons, 24, will pull extra duty in Nashville when it comes to Johnson. He will shadow the 2008 first-round draft pick on passing plays.

"I definitely have my hands full," Timmons said.

The youngest Steelers starter on defense has the speed and athleticism to keep up with players such as Johnson in open space.

Those attributes along with his experience are why teammates and coaches alike have predicted a breakout season for Timmons.

"Lawrence," defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau said, "is a playmaker."

PLAYERS TO WATCH

Steelers NT Chris Hoke: Even if Casey Hampton (hamstring) is able to play against the Titans, the Steelers may need to lean on one of their most reliable backups in Nashville.

Steelers LT Jonathan Scott: With Max Starks (ankle) all but out for Sunday's game, the all-important task of protecting the QBs blind side falls to Scott.

Titans WR Nate Washington: Ex-Steeler had 88 receiving yards, the second-highest game total of his career, and a touchdown in 38-13 blowout of Raiders.

NUMBERS

.500 -- Steelers winning percentage on the road under coach Mike Tomlin.

3 -- 100-yard rushers in a regular-season game that the Steelers have allowed since 2007.

9 -- Wins the Titans have had in their past 11 games.

47 -- Dennis Dixon's completion percentage on third down in his two NFL starts.

142.8 -- Vince Young's passer rating in the Titans' romp over the Raiders.

QUOTABLE

"Teams are going to test us. We're old and washed up. Teams are going to see if we can still play."

-- Defensive end Brett Keisel, tongue firmly in cheek, on the collective age of the defense.

"I think every game, especially with the win, it gives you confidence going forward. There's a lot to learn from when you watch the film. He can move forward from there and continue to grow."

-- Running back Rashard Mendenhall, on quarterback Dennis Dixon after the latter's second career start.

"I just hope both sides get it resolved. From a fan's perspective, when I was little once the season's over everybody can't wait for the season to start (again). Hopefully everything gets done, because you don't want to be a year away from football."

-- Inside linebacker Lawrence Timmons, on the specter of a lockout in 2011.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_699379.html

JTP53609
09-15-2010, 09:51 AM
people the ripped him are the same people that were calling mendenhall a bust in the PRESEASON last year....somehow a guy who only played in 3 career regular season games because he got hurt in his rookie year was a bust..

feltdizz
09-15-2010, 10:07 AM
people the ripped him are the same people that were calling mendenhall a bust in the PRESEASON last year....somehow a guy who only played in 3 career regular season games because he got hurt in his rookie year was a bust..

I wasn't down on Mendenhall but I definitely had a wait and see approach with him. IMO Mendenhall didn't show enough the first 3 games and the preseason to make you say he was going to be a beast. He also had 4 fumbles in 2 games I believe.

Timmon's on the other hand showed athleticism and was closing on RB's in the flat at speeds we have never seen by a LB. He showed weakness in shedding blocks but he was all over the field hitting guys.

JTP53609
09-15-2010, 10:19 AM

I wasn't down on Mendenhall but I definitely had a wait and see approach with him. IMO Mendenhall didn't show enough the first 3 games and the preseason to make you say he was going to be a beast. He also had 4 fumbles in 2 games I believe.

Timmon's on the other hand showed athleticism and was closing on RB's in the flat at speeds we have never seen by a LB. He showed weakness in shedding blocks but he was all over the field hitting guys.

fair assesment, I kind of gave mendy the whole "wait and see" approach too, I hoped he would turn out

ikestops85
09-15-2010, 10:58 AM

fair assesment, I kind of gave mendy the whole "wait and see" approach too, I hoped he would turn out

I think I take the "wait and see" approach with most players. Up until he started last year Mendy hadn't shown much. That's not saying he was a bust but that we couldn't annoint him as our next feature back until he earned it.

The same goes for Timmons. I think we could tell Timmons was going to be a special player was in 2008. He showed his closing speed on a ball carrier rivals that of Troy. If he keeps playing this year the way he played in pre-season and game 1 I think we have ourselves an All-World linebacker ... and that makes me happy. :tt2 :tt2

phillyesq
09-15-2010, 12:36 PM
i really fail to see what the timmons detractors have to be so sorry about and be called idiots for wanting to see him live up to his draft status.

if expecting major contributions from a top 15 pick in his 4th season is a crime, then sue me. our 2nd pick that year made a pretty big impact and has steadily improved each year.

and save the timmons was only 20 years old when he was drafted bit. that one is played out. again, you only have to look at this years 1st rounder taken around the same time to see how it can be done. at the C position, no less.

kudos to LT for picking up his game. its about time.

I agree with Eddie here. If Oviedo needs to call people out on a message board to feel better about himself, then so be it.

I was absolutely disappointed with Timmons for the last three years. That said, I'm also very excited about him finally living up to his potential this year, and so far, it appears that he will do so.

StarSpangledSteeler
09-15-2010, 12:41 PM
To be honest, Timmons probably did take a little longer to develop than most. While his speed was there since day one, his brute strength was not. And his technique was not. I personally am okay with that. However, I can see how some people may rightfully expect faster development out of a number 15 pick.

To those people I would remind you, this was not a college 4-3 OLB going to a pro 4-3 OLB system. In that case, hell yes, by the second year he should be starting. Timmons played OLB in a 4-3 scheme, for only one full year in college, and was drafted to play OLB in a 3-4 scheme. That transition alone is often too much for some players to make, especially to produce on a pro-bowl level as we often expect. Then he was asked to transition to ILB in a 3-4 in Dick LeBeau's scheme, which likely required a degree of recognition/interpretation/decision making he was not prepared for at 20 years old.

Plain and simple. He was drafted for potential. I realize it is rare to draft a "project" in the first round especially at 1:15, but that was the choice that was made and there were some here on this board who supported that and some who did not. We're ALL happy that he has progressed to this point. But this is an interesting case to bookmark for those spewing definitive opinions on draft choices.

aggiebones
09-15-2010, 12:53 PM
I find it funny that Oviedo is asking others to eat crow when he himself turns a blind eye to some of his remarks about players. Hoping noone remembers. lol

I for one thought Timmons was a good pick. I wasn't overly excited by it, but certainly not down on it. I thought it was a nice pick for the slot. He may outplay his slot, but right now, I'd say it was a god place to get him.
Now Woodley was a steal.

Oviedo
09-16-2010, 08:14 AM
No one has been asked to eat crow although I'm sure a few have feather between their teeth right now. My whole point was maybe we can see an end to the ridiculous made up criticisms like "not stout against the run" when there is absolutely no evidence to support that but it was said once and many jumped on the bandwagon and supported it.

It was clear from Day 1 that Timmons had physical skills that no LB we had could do. He was raw and was going to take time and patience (few seemed willing to have that) but the wisdom of picking him is shining through now. Point is if that is OK for the organization why are fans so impatient looking for immediate gratification. How has waiting for Timmons to mature hurt the team...not at all. They did it right and good for them to take that approach so we aren't the Buffalo Bills or Detroit Lions. Starting to hear the same crap about Hood, Worilds, etc.

feltdizz
09-16-2010, 09:41 AM
No one has been asked to eat crow although I'm sure a few have feather between their teeth right now. My whole point was maybe we can see an end to the ridiculous made up criticisms like "not stout against the run" when there is absolutely no evidence to support that but it was said once and many jumped on the bandwagon and supported it.

It was clear from Day 1 that Timmons had physical skills that no LB we had could do. He was raw and was going to take time and patience (few seemed willing to have that) but the wisdom of picking him is shining through now. Point is if that is OK for the organization why are fans so impatient looking for immediate gratification. How has waiting for Timmons to mature hurt the team...not at all. They did it right and good for them to take that approach so we aren't the Buffalo Bills or Detroit Lions. Starting to hear the same crap about Hood, Worilds, etc.

:Beer

people were talking about Timmon's like he was an absolute bust.

phillyesq
09-16-2010, 09:57 AM

:Beer

people were talking about Timmon's like he was an absolute bust.

Dizz, you miss the point. Oviedo comes on here calling people who were disappointed with what Timmons did his first three years idiots. This is the same poster who has campaigned against the defensive scheme and coordinator that has led the NFL in points allowed over the last three years. That criticizes a pass rush that was second in the league in sacks. That told us all that Pouncey would be a terrible pick. The list goes on. To have that type of track record, and smugly post for the purpose of saying "I told you so" - give me a break.

I was absolutely, unequivocally disappointed in what Timmons did for his first three years in the league. Mendy was also a 20 year old, and was able to produce just fine in his second year (after losing his first year to injury). Only now, in his fourth year, does Timmons appear poised to meet his potential. As a Steelers' fan, I hope that he does. It's about time.

papillon
09-16-2010, 10:53 AM
I'll give you Timmons' first two years as disappointing, but last year he was good, very good, just not at the "he needs to be accounted for level" that appears to be in the making this year.

You draft a twenty year old with unparalleled physical attributes you realize that it is going to take him one year longer than a 21 year old to mature into an NFL player. I hope he can be consistent in his play now that it seems he has reached an acceptable level for a first round draft pick. Consistency will be his next critical goal. I hope he doesn't disappear for long stretches during the season.

The Steelers typically have the luxury of bringing along rookies and allowing the game to slow down before they insert them into the lineup and that is a by-product of by and large never being below .500 at the end of the year.

Pouncey is your exception; had he not been totally lights out in training camp and pre-season Justin Hartwig would still be the center until Pouncey was ready.

If you've followed the Steelers for period of time longer than one year you know how they handle their draft picks. It's nice to be a fan of a team that is rarely in dire straights talent wise to where they have to throw a rookie into the fire and let him learn.

Enjoy the Steelers' version of LT instead of complaining or crowing about him. It should be exciting if you let it be.

Pappy

ikestops85
09-16-2010, 11:08 AM
I'm sorry but I guess I'm in the minority here. I think Timmons had an awesome year in 2008. The guy made some spectacular plays and helped our defense immensely. Last year I don't think he was great but the defense as a whole took a step backwards.

Sometimes you have to realize that a player can only do as much as the coaches let him. Many here criticized Redmen saying he couldn't run against the 1st string defense. Of course nobody knew whether he could or couldn't because he hadn't had the chance. Given the chance he has done alright so far.

The same goes for Timmons. If he had started his first year he would be further along in his development. But we had Foote in front of him who is a good linebacker in his own right. So Timmons had to wait and was gradually inserted into the lineup. He has been making plays ever since. I'd say we have a keeper ... no matter what position he was drafted in.

:tt2

Eddie Spaghetti
09-16-2010, 11:49 AM
No one has been asked to eat crow although I'm sure a few have feather between their teeth right now.

maybe you can tell us how pouncey crow tastes. since you told everyone for MONTHS what a terrible pick it would be.

phillyesq is right on the money here. Ovi constantly produces the same type of behavior he mocks others for. makes his posts far less enjoyable than they should be.

feltdizz
09-16-2010, 06:42 PM
No one has been asked to eat crow although I'm sure a few have feather between their teeth right now.

maybe you can tell us how pouncey crow tastes. since you told everyone for MONTHS what a terrible pick it would be.

phillyesq is right on the money here. Ovi constantly produces the same type of behavior he mocks others for. makes his posts far less enjoyable than they should be.

LOL... draft hounds are funny. I can't see how people can hold a grudge against a Steeler pick because it isn't their guy.

RuthlessBurgher
09-16-2010, 07:09 PM

LOL... draft hounds are funny. I can't see how people can hold a grudge against a Steeler pick because it isn't their guy.

The only draft pick that I truly hated was the Troy Edwards pick. I wanted a WR that year, and would have gladly taken Torry Holt (yeah!) or David Boston (ugh!), but when those two guys were gone, I couldn't believe that we made a stupendous reach for Edwards instead of going with the B.P.A. such as John Tait or Jevon Kearse. That was the only guy who I would consider to be a personal "grudge" pick for me.

There were other picks that I were not entirely thrilled about at the time (Hampton, Simmons, Timmons, Hood), but they eventually grew on me over time...once they became Steelers, they got my support. There were others that I was really psyched for (Faneca, Burress, Roethlisberger, Miller, Mendenhall), so they did not need to grow on me since I was already there. I really liked the Polamalu and Holmes picks as individual players, since each was the best player in those drafts at a position of big need at the time, but I was also concerned at the time that we may have given up too much to move up to get them, so I was somewhat torn in my immediate emotions for those particular picks.

stlrz d
09-16-2010, 10:43 PM
Many here criticized Redmen saying he couldn't run against the 1st string defense. Of course nobody knew whether he could or couldn't because he hadn't had the chance. Given the chance he has done alright so far.

Actually what was said is we didn't know if he could do it because we hadn't seen it. And that was said in response to people who were certain he could do it despite not having seen it.

I always take a "wait and see" approach with players and I was waiting to see with Redman. He's now had his shot in one game and looked decent. I'm curious to see how he'll perform against better defenses and my hopes are that he'll produce.

As for Timmons, someone else pointed out that he not only came to the team very young but also had to change positions...all while coming to a team that didn't have an immediate need at the LB position.

He's justified 1.15 thus far and will continue to do so...I believe anyway.

BURGH86STEEL
09-17-2010, 05:28 AM
Many here criticized Redmen saying he couldn't run against the 1st string defense. Of course nobody knew whether he could or couldn't because he hadn't had the chance. Given the chance he has done alright so far.

Actually what was said is we didn't know if he could do it because we hadn't seen it. And that was said in response to people who were certain he could do it despite not having seen it.

I always take a "wait and see" approach with players and I was waiting to see with Redman. He's now had his shot in one game and looked decent. I'm curious to see how he'll perform against better defenses and my hopes are that he'll produce.

As for Timmons, someone else pointed out that he not only came to the team very young but also had to change positions...all while coming to a team that didn't have an immediate need at the LB position.

+1

phillyesq
09-17-2010, 11:24 AM

When Timmons came to the team, there was actually a glaring need at OLB. Porter was gone. Harrison, at that point, was a special teams player who made some amazing plays in his limited opportunity. Harrison and Timmons were competing at ROLB, with Woodley being worked at LOLB.

Timmons wasn't moved to ILB until after the Steelers determined that there wasn't a place for him on the outside with Harrison and Woodley.

phillyesq
09-17-2010, 11:27 AM

This is a point on which we can agree to disagree. This year, he seems poised to do so, but, IMO, he didn't do so in the past. I enjoy respectful disagreements and different opinions - otherwise, the board would just be a boring mutual admiration society.

I take issue with the OP, who apparently feels the need to repeatedly call out other posters, and who makes inflammatory posts (such as his original post here) for no other purpose than to do that.

ikestops85
09-17-2010, 01:27 PM

Well I never saw anybody say they were certain he could do it ... just that he had success against whom he played against and deserved a chance. Some probably bolstered his abilities to compensate for those who called him a "camp wonder" and would never make the squad.

I do agree we should all take a 'wait and see' approach to all players. It shouldn't matter if they are 1.1 or Mr. Irrelevant. Just don't give a guy a job because he is a 1.1 pick and don't exclude a guy because he is a late rounder.

As far as Timmons goes I am happy we seem to have picked up a helluva dynamic linebacker.