PDA

View Full Version : Just my opinion - I think our team will be better for ...

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-12-2010, 06:24 PM
... the absence of Ben.

Wait, wait, put down the flame throwers!

I'm not saying I'm glad Ben is out, I feel very much the opposite. But, if this team can survive 2-2, or even better, it will have done so with grit, determination, blocking, and laser-like focus on the objective.

Then when Ben comes back, and if the chips are down, it's 3rd and 1 for us, ahead 3 points, with 1:48 on the clock, and the playoffs in the balance ... the team will be able to dig deep from their experience these 1st 4 games to pull it out. Unlike last year.

This goes for everyone, from the coaches down to the back ups.

All this of course is based on the fact that we do well for the 1st 4 games. But, we're starting out just fine!!

Slapstick
09-13-2010, 10:46 AM
I think that the trend of outstanding defensive play and a better run game will have to continue for a few weeks after Roethlisberger comes back...I realize that he's working out and will have a bye week of practice in addition to the regular weeks' practice schedule to prepare, but I don't expect him to be razor sharp and/or in sync with his receivers for a few weeks...

ikestops85
09-13-2010, 11:13 AM
... the absence of Ben.

Wait, wait, put down the flame throwers!

I'm not saying I'm glad Ben is out, I feel very much the opposite. But, if this team can survive 2-2, or even better, it will have done so with grit, determination, blocking, and laser-like focus on the objective.

Then when Ben comes back, and if the chips are down, it's 3rd and 1 for us, ahead 3 points, with 1:48 on the clock, and the playoffs in the balance ... the team will be able to dig deep from their experience these 1st 4 games to pull it out. Unlike last year.

This goes for everyone, from the coaches down to the back ups.

All this of course is based on the fact that we do well for the 1st 4 games. But, we're starting out just fine!!

I understand what you are saying SASF and agree with it. Whatever doesn't kill ya makes you stronger. I felt that way about the brutal schedule we had in 2008. If we can just make the playoffs we will be battle tested and have a big advantage over the other teams.

It could turn out that way this year. Learning to play without Ben will make us stronger in other areas. Then when Ben returns and gets his sea legs under him our team will have more weapons at it's disposal.

I would love to be 3-1 but think we will be 2-2. That should be good enough to keep us in the hunt.
:tt2

Oviedo
09-13-2010, 11:15 AM
I think the side effect of the first four weeks may be that we become a much better running team and when Ben comes back that will help him in the passing game. Obviously they are going to air it out when Ben comes back but if we really establish a running game in these next few games it will be hard to defend against us. Of course avpoiding injuries like we saw Starks get will be key.

proudpittsburgher
09-13-2010, 11:38 AM
If nothing else, it will give Dennis Dixon good game experience so, if he choses to accept this role, will be a quality backup to Ben for years to come, as opposed to Batch and Lefty, who are either on their last legs (batch) or are close (lefty)

AngryAsian
09-13-2010, 11:40 AM
Attrition always impacts the depth of the team. Yes, we will become that much more talented throughout the ranks, because we're developing players that would normally have limited playing time or limited schemes drawn up for them. Colon, Starks, Ben... at least our O will have continued progression. Now if we can see more designed running plays for Dixon to capitalize on his apparent strengths, we will become that much more dangerous... because let's face it, after seeing so many underthrown balls, DD is not a pocket passer.

proudpittsburgher
09-13-2010, 12:03 PM
Now if we can see more designed running plays for Dixon to capitalize on his apparent strengths, we will become that much more dangerous... because let's face it, after seeing so many underthrown balls, DD is not a pocket passer.

See, and that's my beef. I am not a BA basher by any means, if anything I am more of an apologist . . . but the reason DD is the starting QB over charlie Batch is because of what he brings to the field with his legs. If it is CB vs DD and you make the call based purley on a passing ofense, Charlie wins that every day. But DD won it for the other things he brings to the table, so my question is, why not utilize his skill set? It is what he does, kinda like Michael Vick. If anyone saw the eagles game yesterday, Vick had a chance to walk untouched into the end zone from the 5 to make it a three point game. Instead, he listened to all those experts who say a QB needs to throw first, run second . . . the pass was incomplete, they settled for a FG, and lost the game.