PDA

View Full Version : Good Start!!

AkronSteel
09-12-2010, 05:50 PM
Overall it was not that impressive of a victory but I will take it nonetheless, lots of opportunities left on the field!!! Skippy missing the field goal at the end of regulation was terrible. I thought for sure that we were going to lose in OT, but thank goodness I was wrong. Interesting that Dixon's first two starts have gone to OT, interesting fact!!!

Thought the D played fantastic! They kept the Falcons in front of them and made plays when they had to. I was unimpressed with BMac and how he was giving up a ton of catches in front of him but I guess all in all if he keeps the guy out of the end zone you can't complain too much. Troy's interception was awesome and one that would fit with that highlight reel he put together in 2008. He and Aaron being back are big, although we don't know how long Casey will be out. Hoke has held his own in the past if nothing else.....

The offensive line definitely looking better than it has in a good long while, Pouncey looks like the next great Steelers C, I thought Kemo and Trai played well too. Hope that Big Max isn't out for too long but it didn't look good!!! From what I saw of Hills in the preseason there wasn't much of a drop off to Tony from Max. I guess we are all going to find out. Rashard had a nice day overall, the long run at the end definitely helped his stats. Dixon is a work in progress and next week will probably be a nice struggle but he did fine limiting turnovers and not making huge mistakes. He wanted to a couple of times but Atlanta didn't take advantage, I guess I can't complain.

I said all along I would be happy with 2-2, being half way to the goal after 1 game is nice. Maybe just maybe we can actually do better???? That wouldn't be so bad!! Overall, I'm very happy!!!

:2c

:tt1

Ozey74
09-12-2010, 05:55 PM
I'd rather win ugly than lose pretty.

A hard fought win and we caught some breaks late in the game. Last year we got no breaks late in the game so this was a nice change of pace.

:Beer

Chadman
09-12-2010, 06:16 PM
Chadman wouldn't be expecting to win many style points early this season- hard nosed defnse, hard nosed blocking & plenty of running will be the key to early season success.

Chadman will take 4 OT wins if they are available... :Cheers

papillon
09-12-2010, 06:19 PM
Chadman wouldn't be expecting to win many style points early this season- hard nosed defnse, hard nosed blocking & plenty of running will be the key to early season success.

Amen to my brother from Down Under! Some folks just can't simply accept an ugly win; any win the Steelers get between now and when Ben gets back is going to be an ugly, slobberknocking affair with great defense, good special teams and heavy dose of Mendenhall and Redman.

Amen again.

Pappy

Stewie
09-12-2010, 06:23 PM
AAAAnnnndddddd, if the Jets knock off Baltimore, we'll have a game up on the division.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-12-2010, 06:27 PM
AAAAnnnndddddd, if the Jets knock off Baltimore, we'll have a game up on the division.

J-E-T-S, JETS, JETS, JETS!!!

(I kind of like the Jets, except not so much now that an Ex-raven coordinator is loud-mouthing so much).

buckeyehoppy
09-12-2010, 06:38 PM
What a difference having Smitty and Troy back is.

Our D won that game. But DDix didn't look too shabby. He just needs to improve his vision of the field and keep working his hot reads w/o throwing the ball into the line.

I can't get too down on Skippy. The first miss was a 55 yarder. Anything over 50 at Heinz is a crap shoot, even for Skippy or anyone else posing as our kicker. And, FWIW, he should have NEVER been in the situation he was in at the end. OK, so he missed on a 40. That's a concern, but hardly a big one.

What is a big concern is that F--- Pig Arians runs the same, predictable BS on 3rd and 1 that he has every time he encounters that situation since he was hired. And he ran that really needing the 1st to kill the rest of the clock. If they couldn't get in the endzone anyway, so be it. The FG attempt would have been a chip shot and ATL wouldn't have had a chance to do much with the ball had they got it back anyway. In short, we would have won in regulation anyway.

We can't get away with this same vanilla attack next week in any way. BBA needs to let DDix loosen it up a little. I think that's where he shines. We'll see if BBA's offensive "coordination" can match the skill set of his QB or whether we'll see the same old dog $hit that keeps the D on the field all day.

buckeyehoppy
09-12-2010, 07:15 PM

Amen to my brother from Down Under! Some folks just can't simply accept an ugly win; any win the Steelers get between now and when Ben gets back is going to be an ugly, slobberknocking affair with great defense, good special teams and heavy dose of Mendenhall and Redman.

Amen again.

Pappy

I think that's what we saw today, Pappy!

I'm concerned about the O, I won't lie to you or anybody here. But, as we saw a couple years ago, our D, when healthy, will be superior to any O in the league. I think our D is right where it needs to be to weather the storm of Ben's absence. So long as we don't get screwed to the ground with injuries, I feel like we can go 3-1 w/o Ben.

With or w/o Ben, we need to hold serve at home, period. All these games are winnable. All of them can be losable as well if we keep running a one-dimensional pile of dog dirt for an offense. Every game will need a different approach on both sides of the ball. But we really need to see it from the O and don't just limit DDix to what we saw today. He can do a lot more to keep defenses honest and this should be the approach a lot of the time.