PDA

View Full Version : Did Dixon outplay Ryan?

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-12-2010, 04:55 PM
Dixon: 18/26, 236 passing, 0 TD, 1 Int.

Ryan: 27/44, 252 yards, 0 TD, 1 Int.

Pretty close, I would guess!

stlrz d
09-12-2010, 04:56 PM
No.

Steelers>NFL
09-12-2010, 04:58 PM
Dixon threw lots of balls at the ankles. Lots of bad throws.
Without pressure on him for the most part.
If I had to rate him A thru F, he would get a C.

chiken
09-12-2010, 04:59 PM
(bleep) No.

Our offensive line out played theirs though.

focosteeler
09-12-2010, 04:59 PM
if he didnt underthrow people constantly i would say yes, but he did so... NO

chiken
09-12-2010, 05:04 PM
if he didnt underthrow people constantly i would say yes, but he did so... NO

Yea DD caught a couple of Breaks - I think 2 of his passes should have been intercepted easy. They weren't pressure throws or Great plays by the defense either. just bad throws

DukieBoy
09-12-2010, 05:07 PM
No. One highlight for Dix was the deep ball to Wallace. He used Heath and Hines well. His out throws are scary --- needs alot of work, and probably few of those plays called.

jj28west
09-12-2010, 05:11 PM
With some more gametime I am hoping he is going to be able to learn to look off to freeze the safety because right now he is blatantly staring down the receiver.
Ben after a couple of years got really good at this.

The game still needs to slow down for him. IMO.

Iron Shiek
09-12-2010, 05:15 PM
Dixon threw lots of balls at the ankles. Lots of bad throws.

Ditto, but maybe even a D for me if not for a couple of pretty nice completions.

He made two or three throws right to Falcons players, then I don't know what that "shotput" throw to randle el on a third down in the 1st half was, but it was attrocious. Then several other ankle throws, very inaccurate.

Discipline of Steel
09-12-2010, 05:31 PM
[quote="Steelers>NFL":2kecjebr]Dixon threw lots of balls at the ankles. Lots of bad throws.

Ditto, but maybe even a D for me if not for a couple of pretty nice completions.

He made two or three throws right to Falcons players, then I don't know what that "shotput" throw to randle el on a third down in the 1st half was, but it was attrocious. Then several other ankle throws, very inaccurate.[/quote:2kecjebr]

I think the claims of inaccuracy are inaccurate. He was 18 of 26 which means he made 18 and missed 8, about 70%

He also didnt have a late pick like Ryan and that was a big bad play.

Plus Dixon won. Dixon by a nose.

Ozey74
09-12-2010, 06:03 PM
DD throws the ball low. I know his completion % was good, but he hit too many receivers ankles that ended up being incomplete passes. If Ben played, we would of killed the Falcons. Nonetheless, I'm glad DD played over Batch. I would of like to see DD use his legs -clearly a strength of his that went unused.

:tt2

papillon
09-12-2010, 06:14 PM

No, I was nervous with Ryan and the Falcons offense on the field. I never felt like Dixon had a real grasp of the offense. Any distance over 5 or 6 yards on third down was a crap shoot.

On the positive side he managed the game well, the one pick was relatively deep in Falcon territory and he didn't make any mistakes late (thank Bruce Arians for that). He played well enough with the defense playing great and Sepulveda doing an outstanding job of changing field position to win the game.

It's how the Steelers are going to have to play every game until Ben gets back if they want to win any of them. Dixon isn't winning a game with his arm or feet over the next three weeks; but he can be a good caretaker until then.

Pappy

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-12-2010, 06:17 PM

No, I was nervous with Ryan and the Falcons offense on the field. I never felt like Dixon had a real grasp of the offense. Any distance over 5 or 6 yards on third down was a crap shoot.

On the positive side he managed the game well, the one pick was relatively deep in Falcon territory and he didn't make any mistakes late (thank Bruce Arians for that). He played well enough with the defense playing great and Sepulveda doing an outstanding job of changing field position to win the game.

It's how the Steelers are going to have to play every game until Ben gets back if they want to win any of them. Dixon isn't winning a game with his arm or feet over the next three weeks; but he can be a good caretaker until then.

Pappy

Or ... we shouldn't discount that he might be a real fast learner, and that this experience at "real game speed" will make something click on in his head ... just in time for the Ravens game!

Chadman
09-12-2010, 06:19 PM
Dixon had Mendenhall playing well, Ryan had turner contained.

Dixon played against an OK Falcons D, Ryan played a good Steelers D.

Stats were about even.

Dixon won in OT.

Given the circumstances, Ryan probably outplayed Dixon, but it means squat- the Steelers are 1-0!!

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-12-2010, 06:20 PM

Pappy

Or ... we shouldn't discount that he might be a real fast learner, and that this experience at "real game speed" will make something click on in his head ... just in time for the Ravens game!

SteelAbility
09-12-2010, 07:02 PM

16 yards less on 18 less passes. Yeah, I would say that's outplaying your opposing QB.

YPA
Dixon 9.1
Ryan 5.7

QB Rating
Dixon 81.6
Ryan 67.6

Of course, Ryan did go up against a better D.

Slapstick
09-12-2010, 07:03 PM
Maybe so, maybe not...but, it would be harder to convince me that Ryan outplayed him...

Matt Ryan clearly was not "Matty Ice" as the commentators were saying...the Falcons put the ball in his hands and he threw a pick at a critical point in the game...

Dennis at least had the Steelers in position to win in regulation, provided that Reed makes a 40 yard FG...Ryan couldn't even do that...

steelz09
09-12-2010, 07:10 PM
No -- He did not outplay Ryan

Quite honestly, it was painful watching that game from a steelers offense perspective (especially Dixon). Kudos to the defense, they played very well.

I just hope Big Ben comes back with the Steelers having a 2-2 record. We barely won this one.... Dixon needs to be a better job. Arians also needs to do a better job.

Steel Life
09-12-2010, 07:12 PM
Yes - Dixon did outplay him...given the experience disparity Ryan played crappy game as his completion percentage will attest. Now I don't think the INT was his fault, That was more Troy making a great play. Yes Dennis threw some bad ones, but all QBs do at times & in the end he managed the game well enough to win where Ryan didn't.

skyhawk
09-12-2010, 07:15 PM
Yes, DD outplayed Ryan.

Which is not saying much for Matt.

Yes, Ryan played a better Steeler D, but Dixon DOESN'T have the beast Roddy White at WR either.

Steelgal
09-12-2010, 07:43 PM
Yes, he definately outplayed him, if you consider experience and I do. This was Dixon's 2nd start against Matt's several seasons. DD definately has a lot of improvements he can make to his game, but having some legitimate playcalling would help too. Arians needs to be yelled at after this game.

And if I had to hear the term Matty Ice again or hear how Mora slobbered all over him, I was going to vomit :HeadBanger

Steel Life
09-12-2010, 07:55 PM
Yes, he definately outplayed him, if you consider experience and I do. This was Dixon's 2nd start against Matt's several seasons. DD definately has a lot of improvements he can make to his game, but having some legitimate playcalling would help too. Arians needs to be yelled at after this game.

And if I had to hear the term Matty Ice again or hear how Mora slobbered all over him, I was going to vomit :HeadBanger
:Agree ...Mora was getting on my nerves with all the praise & I loved that CJ said right before Troy's INT something like "let's see if all the praise Ryan's been anointed with can translate to win" (I'm paraphrasing but you get the gist).

grotonsteel
09-12-2010, 08:20 PM
I hope Leftwich is ready to play against Tenn.

Steelerphile
09-13-2010, 04:43 AM
I thik DD represented himself pretty well. He started off slow. I think he was nervous and threw some passes in the ground, and got away with a few almost picks. But he loosened up in the second half and threw some very good passes. It was one of the few times I have seen deep ball hit Wallace in stride. I thought his reads were good.

He didn't play like the "running quaterback". I was hoping he would make at least one big play with his feet but he ran not at all. How could that be called a horrible game with a 81 QB rating and high ypa. Not great but acceptable. I think he outplayed some more experienced QBs in the league today, not just Ryan. The game was very reminiscent of several games the Steelers have played the last two years when Roethlisberger started. The Steelers seldom blow any teams out and the game is usually hanging in the balance until the final moments. The Steelers for example beat Tennessee in last year's opener 13-10 in OT.

So, I think he has earned another try. I think he needs to not be nervous next week because I think he'll need a better effort and to direct the team to some TDS in regulation.

Doogie36
09-13-2010, 05:39 AM
We should rename this thread to be: DID DIXON outplay Charlie Batch??? THe answer is YES!!! Where's all the CHARLIE IS THE ONLY ANSWER PEOPLE????

That's what I thought!!!!

No one will ever know what Charlie would have done nor do I really care to find out but at 1-0 we can simply say CHARLIE ISNT THE ONLY ANSWER.

:-)

It's so great being right but whats more important is COVERING THE SPREAD and winning the bet!!!!!!!!!! We beat the BUCS and we are sitting 2-2 and right where we need to be for BEN!!!

The Bengals looked HORRIBLE yesterday and Delhome had like a 53 QB rating against the BUCS!!!!!!!! It's safe to say we do have a shot at that wild card spot after only 1 week of action!!!!!!!!

Bengals vs Ravens next week and if we can somehow grind out a win in TENN LOOK OUT AFC NORTH!!!!!!!!!

frankthetank1
09-13-2010, 07:32 AM

Quite honestly, it was painful watching that game from a steelers offense perspective (especially Dixon). Kudos to the defense, they played very well.

I just hope Big Ben comes back with the Steelers having a 2-2 record. We barely won this one.... Dixon needs to be a better job. Arians also needs to do a better job.

i didnt think the play calling was all that bad at all. especially with a qb with no expierence playing. jeff reed needs to do a better job!! 40 yd field goals should be automatic especially in that situation

feltdizz
09-13-2010, 08:26 AM
Dixon played OK but his short passing game was disgusting. The guy throws 5 yard passes like LB's don't exist. He has to get better at arcing the ball on some of those throws.

He is very good at throwing 15 to 30 yards. We need more pass plays with guys crossing over the middle in that range because that is his sweet spot IMO.

Matt Ryan was not impressive to me at all. Gay should have picked him off and outside of the 12 yard out on McFadden's side he rarely had any success.

Steelskin
09-13-2010, 10:16 AM
I'm going to go against the majority and say yes, Dixon outplayed Ryan.

Not only statistically, but look at the box score--who won?

When Dixon needed to come up huge, he did (pair of beauties to Ward)

When Ryan needed to come up huge, Troy Polamalu did instead :tt2

Many of the ESPN "experts" were calling Ryan one of the elite; he gets no breaks.

On the contrary, Dennis was set up to fail and he pulled it through. I'm proud of him and I'm happy to have him as part of our team.

cruzer8
09-13-2010, 12:35 PM
It was closer to a draw, if anything.

ikestops85
09-13-2010, 12:52 PM
It was closer to a draw, if anything.

I'm with you Cruzer ... I think they cancelled each other out. To me that means Dixon came up big playing as well as a top pick from a few years ago who was more experienced and seasoned.

Dixon certainly didn't look great but he didn't lose the game for us which is what we wanted. The D, special teams, and even the O-line, to a certain degree, came up big for us.

1-0 Baby :Boobs

Captain Lemming
09-13-2010, 12:56 PM

Quite honestly, it was painful watching that game from a steelers offense perspective (especially Dixon).

I didnt see the game so I can only read what others are saying.

Might the "from a Steeler perspective" cloud our judgement? We were disappointed that Dixon wasnt "better" but was he better than Ryan in this game?

If we were Falcon fans expecting big things from your QB cringing at his misses and mistakes, might we have a different take?

I do think the fact that Ryan was playing against our defense makes his task more difficult, so the comparison is not exactly fair.

RuthlessBurgher
09-13-2010, 01:43 PM
I think the claims of inaccuracy are inaccurate.

Is this like how it is ironic that a song titled "Ironic" has no actual examples of irony in it? :mrgreen:

Captain Lemming
09-13-2010, 01:57 PM
I think the claims of inaccuracy are inaccurate.

Is this like how it is ironic that a song titled "Ironic" has no actual examples of irony in it? :mrgreen:

In the song "you're so vain" isnt the song clearly "about him"?
Is he really vain, if it is the truth?

steelz09
09-13-2010, 07:19 PM
I can't speak for others but the reason why I DON'T think he outplayed Ryan is:

1) Our defense made Ryan's job for difficult than Dixons. I also think the Steelers offense is far superior to their defense.

2) Many balls that hit our receivers in the shoe laces. A lot of those receivers were wide open and many of those were for 1st downs.

3) Ryan made NFL, starting QB throws. He's supposed to do that. He had some nice throws toward the sidelines and a couple nice timing routes. Although Ryan didn't have a good day, I don't think Dixon could have made some of those throws. I didn't see that with Dixon. Dixon will improve though. I agree that Gay could have had another interception. But Dixon very easily could have had 2 more.

feltdizz
09-13-2010, 07:51 PM
Matt Ryan has 2 to 3 years on Dixon as a starting QB. He didn't wow me given the expectations and nickname. Dixon missed a few throws underneath but he had a decent game. He needs to respect the underneath coverage but that can improve in the next game or two. He did enough to win and didn't do anything to lose the game.

He outplayed Matt Ryan. Dixon is/was 3rd string. Matt Ryan is ATL's franchise QB and he threw the INT that should have lost the game.