PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone discuss the line play?

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-12-2010, 04:43 PM
Pouncy seemed to go OK, right?

What did you guys think of the rest of it, on either side? Ziggy? Smith? Hood? Essex? Etc.?

Thanks to those who can see those things better than me!

drprwnap
09-12-2010, 04:50 PM
Pouncy seemed to go OK, right?

What did you guys think of the rest of it, on either side? Ziggy? Smith? Hood? Essex? Etc.?

Thanks to those who can see those things better than me!

Pouncy is a STUD. I've seen a number of plays where he blocks his man and slides off to make another block downfield. Write this down: he will be compared to Webby and Dawson when his career is over (barring injury).

Ziggy did okay. Smith was his normal run stuffing self. Hoke filled in okay for Casey.

I thought the OLine did a good job. We ran the ball well when we had to (3rd and short). I think the new coach is a good find.

I might not see those things better than you, but that's my take and I'm sticking to it! :tt1

chiken
09-12-2010, 04:58 PM
Eason Came in for a bit didnt he?

Man the D line was pretty awesome (IMO)- they stayed Fresh throughout the game.. Matty "ice" had the pocket pushed into his jock strap alot. Held the Burner to under 50..

In the 4th and Even into overtime they appeared to still have plenty of gas..

Relentless7
09-12-2010, 05:26 PM
LOS play on both sides of the ball was what I was most impressed about today I think. O-Line did pretty well run blocking and had one of their better pass blocking days in recent memory. Pouncy is a NICE upgrade for us on the interior.

Defensively Smith was his way above average self, and I thought Hood and and Hoke both did pretty well when they were on the field.

steelblood
09-12-2010, 05:26 PM
I thought Flozell Adams did a great job in the run game. David Johnson (not a linemen technically) blocked very well and knocked out two Falcons on Mendy's TD. Pouncey is so quick he can combo block and then steer off and chip multiple targets.

papillon
09-12-2010, 06:09 PM

Man the D league was pretty awesome (IMO)- they stayed Fresh throughout the game.. Matty "ice" had the pocket pushed into his jock strap alot. Held the Burner to under 50..

Can you translate this into Pittsburghese? Or, replace all the nicknames with real names? :P

Pappy

chiken
09-12-2010, 09:13 PM

Man the D league was pretty awesome (IMO)- they stayed Fresh throughout the game.. Matty "ice" had the pocket pushed into his jock strap alot. Held the Burner to under 50..

Can you translate this into Pittsburghese? Or, replace all the nicknames with real names? :P

Pappy

Sorry Pappy
Burner = Michael Turner
Matty Ice - Matt Ryan
D League = ooops D line..

Living in Atlanta so I hear all the nick names for the birds (Falcons)

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-12-2010, 09:23 PM

Pappy

Sorry Pappy
Burner = Michael Turner
Matty Ice - Matt Ryan
D League = ooops D line..

Living in Atlanta so I hear all the nick names for the birds (Falcons)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I love how all the cute media nicknames and predictions show how 99% of them are just buffoons.

pfelix73
09-12-2010, 09:29 PM
"Pouncy is a STUD. I've seen a number of plays where he blocks his man and slides off to make another block downfield. Write this down: he will be compared to Webby and Dawson when his career is over (barring injury). "

This is what's called zone blocking. Every team does it. Pretty easy to do actually, and yea, he does it very well.

I was somewhat impressed by Scott when he came in for Starks. When Starks went out, I thought, oh no, here we go, but Scott played well for going in cold turkey.

Essex had some good pulls too.

:tt2

Steelskin
09-12-2010, 10:08 PM
"Pouncy is a STUD. I've seen a number of plays where he blocks his man and slides off to make another block downfield. Write this down: he will be compared to Webby and Dawson when his career is over (barring injury). "

This is what's called zone blocking. Every team does it. Pretty easy to do actually, and yea, he does it very well.

I was somewhat impressed by Scott when he came in for Starks. When Starks went out, I thought, oh no, here we go, but Scott played well for going in cold turkey.

Essex had some good pulls too.

:tt2

That's what I noticed too... Essex doesn't get too much love, but he more than held his own today.

Although Atlanta was missing Babineaux on the line, they did have perennial pro-bowler John Abraham and I think our line did a good job blocking.

Djfan
09-12-2010, 11:10 PM
Scott looked better than Starks IMO.

pepsyman1
09-12-2010, 11:49 PM
I thought the O-line played okay but I didn't think their run blocking was anything special for most of the game considering the size advantage over the Falcons D-line. There were numerous plays when Mendi didn't have a lead blocker that he was still contending with contact before he reached the line of scrimmage. I thought the pass blocking as a whole looked pretty good, but the sack given up to just a 3 man rush near the end of the game was especially lame. Overall I think they looked better than last year and Pouncey looked great, I just hope they continue to improve.

frankthetank1
09-13-2010, 07:40 AM
I thought the O-line played okay but I didn't think their run blocking was anything special for most of the game considering the size advantage over the Falcons D-line. There were numerous plays when Mendi didn't have a lead blocker that he was still contending with contact before he reached the line of scrimmage. I thought the pass blocking as a whole looked pretty good, but the sack given up to just a 3 man rush near the end of the game was especially lame. Overall I think they looked better than last year and Pouncey looked great, I just hope they continue to improve.

that was pathetic!! i nearly lost it after that sack. pouncey played great though. man he is definetly going to be a stud!!

Oviedo
09-13-2010, 08:08 AM
I thought Flozell Adams did a great job in the run game. David Johnson (not a linemen technically) blocked very well and knocked out two Falcons on Mendy's TD. Pouncey is so quick he can combo block and then steer off and chip multiple targets.

I thought Adams did well in all aspects of the game. He will get better as the season goes on. He is a devastating run blocker even at his age.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
09-13-2010, 08:30 AM
Offensive Line...Still have a hard-on watching those boys work. Koogs put his thumb print on those boys. They imposed their will on them and the Falcons were concentrating on the run. Pouncey plays beyond his years & Adams was solid. I just hope Starks isn't out for long.

Defensive Line...Brought their lunch pails and let the LBs run. Did exactly what you ask them to do in a 3-4. Even with Hampton going down....Hokie picked up where he left off. Hood & Eason were solid rotation guys. They were all fresh until the end because there was no drop-off in play during rotation. I hope Hampton's injury doesn't linger all year.

Oviedo
09-13-2010, 09:10 AM
Offensive Line...Still have a hard-on watching those boys work. Koogs put his thumb print on those boys. They imposed their will on them and the Falcons were concentrating on the run. Pouncey plays beyond his years & Adams was solid. I just hope Starks isn't out for long.

Defensive Line...Brought their lunch pails and let the LBs run. Did exactly what you ask them to do in a 3-4. Even with Hampton going down....Hokie picked up where he left off. Hood & Eason were solid rotation guys. They were all fresh until the end because there was no drop-off in play during rotation. I hope Hampton's injury doesn't linger all year.

Unless Scott or Hills really surprise, we need Starks back or we have an issue. Expect to see alot of TE help on the left side as long as Starks is out

Stewie
09-13-2010, 10:20 AM
See to what THEY said:

I thought they were a very physical team; my hatís off to Coach Tomlin, his coaching staff and players.

-Coach Mike Smith

Mammoth offensive line. Big guys up front. They do a good job of firing off the ball Ė pretty athletic guys, and they have a quarterback who can run around. That makes it a little bit tougher.

-Sean Witherspoon

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/ ... 03016d2f77 (http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Steelers-Falcons-Post-Game-Quotes/e6444f00-fd36-41cd-b316-3c03016d2f77)