PDA

View Full Version : Max Starks...

Snatch98
09-12-2010, 04:30 PM
We need to try and stay abreast of this because losing him for a extended period of time is going to be a blow. Hopefully it's just a high ankle sprain and he's only down for a few games. Ideally he's back next week but not being able to walk off the field was a bad sign. He couldn't put any weight on it. Hopefully we hear more soon. Scott didn't seem to do too bad though.

kiwi_sarah
09-12-2010, 04:31 PM
yeah, worrying for sure. Fingers crossed he's ok.

Lebsteel
09-12-2010, 04:32 PM
I agree, Scott did fine, but if Starks is out, I would think Hills would start at LT.

Relentless7
09-12-2010, 04:33 PM
We need to try and stay abreast of this because losing him for a extended period of time is going to be a blow. Hopefully it's just a high ankle sprain and he's only down for a few games. Ideally he's back next week but not being able to walk off the field was a bad sign. He couldn't put any weight on it. Hopefully we hear more soon. Scott didn't seem to do too bad though.

Agreed. Scott did "OK" after that first play when he got blown up. But THAT'S the worst thing about our O-Line being so bad. they make AVERAGE (at best) players like Starks and Colon absolutely indispensable.

Snatch98
09-12-2010, 04:36 PM

Agreed. Scott did "OK" after that first play when he got blown up. But THAT'S the worst thing about our O-Line being so bad. they make AVERAGE (at best) players like Starks and Colon absolutely indispensable.

I thought our offensive line did a pretty solid job all things considered. The sacks were coverage sacks and they were pushing back on their defensive line. After a few healthy games our O-line is very formidable especially with Pouncey leading the charge in the middle. The problem we just had Starks get banged up. Hopefully Hills can step in and show what he's made of our Scott can continue with his consistency. Obviously in a ideal world Starks isn't down for long if at all.

Our offensive line is not bad.

msp26505
09-12-2010, 04:39 PM
I know what you mean (no broken bones or Achilles, etc.), but hoping for "just" a high ankle sprain is pretty worrisome to me. Those things can last all season.

drprwnap
09-12-2010, 04:43 PM
Guys, a high ankle sprain can keep him out for WEEKS! That is a notch below a torn ACL (in my book). I've seen guys out for 6 weeks (or more) with a high ankle sprain. Be careful what you wish for......

D Rock
09-12-2010, 04:45 PM
I hated how every time things got positive, something else fell apart.

Long pass to Wallace, followed by a sack as Starks got smoked, false start by Adams...

4th quarter...completion to Hines to get things rolling, then back to back sacks on play calling and getting beat by a 3 man rush.

I don't think the problem is so much skill as it is focus with this team.

D Rock
09-12-2010, 04:46 PM
oh and as for the high ankle sprain

I'd rather see a broken bone and no ligament damage. It will be less of a lingering problem.

Snatch98
09-12-2010, 04:48 PM
I know what you mean (no broken bones or Achilles, etc.), but hoping for "just" a high ankle sprain is pretty worrisome to me. Those things can last all season.

I wasn't downplaying the high ankle sprain but it looked bad and that's at the low end of serious. Obviously the high ankle sprain can keep him out for a while especially when you consider the amount of weight he carries on that frame. I'm just assuming the prognosis is going to be poor so might as well wish for the lowest end of the serious scale. :cry:

DukieBoy
09-12-2010, 04:50 PM
On first take, looks like we could be w/o Max for at least a few games. Wonder if they'll start Hills at LT of keep Scott there.

Stewie
09-12-2010, 04:50 PM
I don't think Hills is a major downgrade. I am more worried about Big Snack. But a W is a W. If we beat Tampa Bay, we come out of the wilderness at least 2 and 2. Tip of the hat to the D. Mike Turner and Tony Gonzalez were non-factors in the final analysis.

I hate to pile on Arians, but his play calling sucked. IMHO. What happened to the play action rollouts that we saw in pre-season???

Snatch98
09-12-2010, 04:55 PM
I don't think Hills is a major downgrade. I am more worried about Big Snack. But a W is a W. If we beat Tampa Bay, we come out of the wilderness at least 2 and 2. Tip of the hat to the D. Mike Turner and Tony Gonzalez were non-factors in the final analysis.

I hate to pile on Arians, but his play calling sucked. IMHO. What happened to the play action rollouts that we saw in pre-season???

I didn't think the play calling was bad. A few bad calls but all things considered a solid game considering Dixon was under center. Should have ran on that one possession where Dixon got gobbled up in the backfield. I also don't think Hills will be a big downgrade but I'd wager it's Scott seeing as he's the one that went in not Hills.

Stewie
09-12-2010, 05:09 PM
Was hills active?

DukieBoy
09-12-2010, 05:10 PM
Was hills active?
Word on chat was that he was inactive today.

hawaiiansteel
09-12-2010, 05:14 PM
Was hills active?

STEELERS-FALCONS GAME INACTIVES

SEPTEMBER 12, 2010

STEELERS INACTIVES

1. #4 Byron Leftwich, QB
2. #23 Keenan Lewis, CB
3. #27 Jonathan Dwyer, RB
4. #28 Crezdon Butler, CB
5. #66 Tony Hills, OT
6. #73 Ramon Foster, OG
7. #84 Antonio Brown, WR
8. #90 Thaddeus Gibson, LB

buckeyehoppy
09-12-2010, 05:17 PM
Guys, a high ankle sprain can keep him out for WEEKS! That is a notch below a torn ACL (in my book). I've seen guys out for 6 weeks (or more) with a high ankle sprain. Be careful what you wish for......

A HAS involves a bone, not a joint. Maxx finally caught in his propensity not to move his feet when he blocks. I'll be very curious to see how Hills and Scott do in his stead... VERY curious!

Stewie
09-12-2010, 05:19 PM
Was hills active?

Then Scott's selection today doesn't necessarily mean anything. He was active because of his posflex. I hope that Hills starts next week.

buckeyehoppy
09-12-2010, 05:20 PM
Was hills active?

He will be now.

buckeyehoppy
09-12-2010, 05:24 PM
oh and as for the high ankle sprain

I'd rather see a broken bone and no ligament damage. It will be less of a lingering problem.

He's carrying a LISTED weight of 345 POUNDS. A sprain is nothing more than a compromised structure to a bone or joint. That can't be good. Max Starks is probably headed for the PUP list, meaning a 6 game stretch. We'll get to see how Hills and Scott do in his absence.

DukieBoy
09-12-2010, 05:38 PM
I agree, Scott did fine, but if Starks is out, I would think Hills would start at LT.
I'm thinking so, too. Scott is the swingman and must prep for LT and RT back-up, I think.

buckeyehoppy
09-12-2010, 05:57 PM
I'm thinking so, too. Scott is the swingman and must prep for LT and RT back-up, I think.

Hills is only a LT, so far as I can see. If he's active, he will be the starter. Scott was active today because he can play like every line position short of the center. Fatzell better start playing or Scott's gonna have his job before too much longer.

papillon
09-12-2010, 06:06 PM

Hills is only a LT, so far as I can see. If he's active, he will be the starter. Scott was active today because he can play like every line position short of the center. Fatzell better start playing or Scott's gonna have his job before too much longer.

This wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing; Flozell has underwhelmed since he signed. It's time to get some other guys a chance on the O-line. If Hills gets a start or two; I hope he performs well enough to make the coach's decision difficult about who to start when Starks gets healthy.

Pappy

buckeyehoppy
09-12-2010, 08:00 PM

This wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing; Flozell has underwhelmed since he signed. It's time to get some other guys a chance on the O-line. If Hills gets a start or two; I hope he performs well enough to make the coach's decision difficult about who to start when Starks gets healthy.

Pappy

And this is where I'm at, Pappy. FWIW, there was not much of a difference between today's starting 5 and the guys who would back them up during the pre-season. Hills, Scott and Foster, IMHO, are almost at par with Fatt Maxx, Fatzell and Kemo (Kemo I would give an edge over Foster, but Foster would be able to cover his action capably if he had to).

If we have these young guys around, the Steelers really need them to make the coaches jobs hard. That wouldn't break my heart at all.

TD386Steel
09-12-2010, 08:08 PM
High Ankle Sprain

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... le-sprain/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/09/12/report-max-starks-has-a-high-ankle-sprain/)

The Steelers offensive line has another big injury. And it comes again at the tackle position.

Alex Marvez of FOXSports.com reports that left tackle Max Starks has a high ankle sprain and left Pittsburgh in a boot Sunday evening.

The Steelers already were thin at tackle with Flozell Adams taking over at right tackle for Willie Colon. The team could move Flozell back to his natural left side.

Either way, Dennis Dixon's job just got a little more challenging the next few weeks.

Eddie Spaghetti
09-12-2010, 08:17 PM
FWIW, there was not much of a difference between today's starting 5 and the guys who would back them up during the pre-season. Hills, Scott and Foster, IMHO, are almost at par with Fatt Maxx, Fatzell and Kemo (Kemo I would give an edge over Foster, but Foster would be able to cover his action capably if he had to).

pure speculation on your part. Max Starks and Kemo have played on 2 SB winning OL's. i thought Flozells play was at or near the line as coach likes to say.

the OL played pretty damn well today. tough call on who to move, but i lean towards starting hills/scott at LT and leaving Flozell on the right side.

Chadman
09-12-2010, 08:24 PM
Gee, we're quick to give up on Flozell!

He's oviously very experienced, obviously no longer at his prime. But give him some time- he is starting behind in time to the rest of the group, and as far as Chadman can see, not stinking it up.

The OL is going to be a bit hit & miss for the first few weeks anyway- learning Kug's methods on gameday are different to in practice, Dennis Dixon is a different QB to Ben & the OL needs to learn to adjust to protecting him, and we now have 3 changes to last season's starting line-up. It'll take time.

Happy to give Flozell another few weeks before claiming Jon Scott as his replacement.

DukieBoy
09-12-2010, 08:59 PM
Are some of you guys down on Flozell's play today? Didn't look bad to me. The run plays to his side generally looked better than the runs to the left. Did he give up a sack? One false start, just one I think.

Discipline of Steel
09-12-2010, 09:07 PM
Towards te end of the game, i noticed runs to the left were not going anywhere. Then we sprung a 50 yrd, game winning TD to the right. Pretty sure we are going to see Hills at LT against the Stains.

BradshawsHairdresser
09-12-2010, 11:42 PM
Well, I'm not sure Starks will be missed all that much. Except we won't have as much depth now.

Maybe we'll find out we're just fine without Starks and Hampton, and can cut them loose after the season. We could probably use some of the money we've been paying them to re-sign some players that we aren't fine without.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
09-13-2010, 09:10 AM
Depending on the length he could be out, the Steelers might have to carry 10 OL. I feel Battle, Sylvester, and Madison are 51-53. Battle & Madison have guranteed salaries now they played week 1. I don't know if Sly makes it to the PS.

That being said, I guess they need to look for depth. Ugoh (if healthy) is still out there and there will be some movement Tuesday now that vet's contracts won't be guranteed if you sign them so they better act fast if they want to do something in FA.

It looks like Ugoh was placed on IR by the Colts so scratch his name.

Oviedo
09-13-2010, 09:16 AM
FWIW, there was not much of a difference between today's starting 5 and the guys who would back them up during the pre-season. Hills, Scott and Foster, IMHO, are almost at par with Fatt Maxx, Fatzell and Kemo (Kemo I would give an edge over Foster, but Foster would be able to cover his action capably if he had to).

pure speculation on your part. Max Starks and Kemo have played on 2 SB winning OL's. i thought Flozells play was at or near the line as coach likes to say.

the OL played pretty damn well today. tough call on who to move, but i lean towards starting hills/scott at LT and leaving Flozell on the right side.

:Agree As fashionable as it has become to come on the board and just repeat the same old rote criticisms of the OL I thought the OL played generally well yesterday. Adams was solid. Not sure what game his critics watched. IMO Kemo remains the weakspot on the OL but all and all they were pretty solid all day yesterday.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
09-13-2010, 09:19 AM
Max Starks is probably headed for the PUP list, meaning a 6 game stretch. We'll get to see how Hills and Scott do in his absence.

The option of putting a player on the PUP list for 6 games id only for before the season starts. That is where Chris Scott is right now.

Once TC starts then the only way to take a player off the roster is IR and that puts them out for the season. So if Max is going to be out for several weeks then we either take up a roster spot and deactivate him or place him on IR and replace him.

steelblood
09-13-2010, 09:21 AM
Adams is great right now as we run more than pass. His pass blocking is very average at best. There is no reason to move him to the left side where he does not know the plays yet. There is also no reason to sign another linemen. We go only go with 7 active guys anyway. We have three guys capable of playing left tackle in Scott, Hills, and Essex (in a pinch). Hopefully, Max has no serious damage and can be back after the bye.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
09-13-2010, 09:44 AM
Adams is great right now as we run more than pass. His pass blocking is very average at best. There is no reason to move him to the left side where he does not know the plays yet. There is also no reason to sign another linemen. We go only go with 7 active guys anyway. We have three guys capable of playing left tackle in Scott, Hills, and Essex (in a pinch). Hopefully, Max has no serious damage and can be back after the bye.

You don't want to move to many guys on an OL especially after the season started. The Steelers, right now, can fill the void with what is on the roster. Understanding the system is the biggest learning curve for bringing in an OL and the Steelers are one more injury at OT from being in trouble. If Max is looking at a 4-6 week recovery, which is where the HAS will be, the Steelers will be in need of getting another OT familiar with this system. Hills will start and Scott & Legursky will be active. I do believe they will look at their options in FA and would not be surprised to see someone brought in. I think best case scenario will be Starks returning when Ben comes back after bye week. I think the best way of looking at it would be the "what if" scenario. "What if" we have another OT go down, Is Jolly our answer or would the Steelers be better with a vet guy who has a couple of weeks under his belt.