PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Defense in NFL History

Discipline of Steel
09-12-2010, 07:23 AM
http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/20 ... nalysis-on (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2009/3/10/775679/a-statistical-analysis-on)

The article is too long to post but here is an excerpt...the conclusion. The writer picks the 1991 Eagles based on opponent strength :roll: but then argues for the 2008 Steelers. I thought if you totaled up all the analysis, the 1976 Steelers came out on top. I mean 9 points a 5 game run with 3 shutouts in a row is pretty tough to beat...

After looking at all of this, although I would favor the Eagles in this analysis, there are so many valid arguments for the 1976 and 2008 Steelers, as well as the 1985 Bears, that I would not argue strongly against any of them. I do believe, though, that the data does pretty well rule out the 1973 Rams, 1977 Falcons, and 2000 Ravens. All three played over half their schedules against bottom half offenses. Granted, the Offensive Opponent Factor for the 2008 Steelers was among the bottom three. But, when reviewing the data more closely, there are several points that argue in their favor.

1.First, they played in one the top two seasons in terms of average offensive performance, second only to 1985.

2.Second, while their Opponent Offensive Factor was low because they had an above average number of bottom 5 and bottom 3 offenses, they also had an above average number of top half offenses and average numbers of top 10, 5, and 3 offenses.

3.Third, like the 1991 Eagles, they had a bottom 3rd rush offense. And, as we Steelers fans were well aware this season, the offense often went through long periods of stagnant production.

4.Finally, I think we can safely say that 2008 was a season in which officiating and rules favored the offense over defense more than any other year in history. So, the 2008 Steelers defense certainly had several obstacles to overcome.

fezziwig
09-12-2010, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the post. I appreciate those teams that come together for one season and end up on top but, a true champion or the best that there is are the guys that do it each year or for a decade of play.

When your the Steelers and a constant defensive power house it is difficult to maintain healthy guys and to remain on top as they did.

My heart and fair outlook over this topic remains with giving the Steelers the props.