PDA

View Full Version : The Most Overrated team in the NFL...

Dee Dub
09-09-2010, 08:07 PM
The Baltimore Ravens!!

How the so called experts can have them as a possible Super Bowl team is beyond me. More likely a result of the medias love affair with the hi-powered offense no doubt. Or what they think the Ravens offense is going to do this year. But if you examine the Ravens defense I am far from impressed. Here is what I see...

Corey Redding is a stiff at RDE.
Daniel Ellerbe at RILB is sub-par at best.
Jarrett Johnson at LOLB is descent at best.
Ray Lewis is now 35 years old.
They have a very weak secondary (without Ed Reed--it's Chris Carr, Dawan Landry, Tom Zbikowski, and Fabian Washington).

...and they really dont have any real depth on defense. If one guy gets hurt like a Suggs or Ngata this team is going to really suffer.

I am on record right here and now saying 9-7 at best.

Baltimore Ravens are Overrated!!

RuthlessBurgher
09-10-2010, 10:14 AM
But they signed all those big name WR's!!!

Only problem is that Anquan Boldin is a possession WR, T.J. Houshmanzadeh is a possession WR, and Derrick Mason is a possession WR. They should be easy to cover when they all run 5-7 yard routes all the time. Plus Boldin is always hurt, Housh is a whiny little beeyotch, and Mason is older than dirt.

With Ed Reed on the shelf and Ray Lewis decomposing, the only quality Ravens with All-Pro potential are Haloti Ngata and Ray Rice. Terrell Suggs is obscenely overrated. Joe Flacco has an All-Pro unibrow, but that's about it.

feltdizz
09-10-2010, 10:18 AM

Only problem is that Anquan Boldin is a possession WR, T.J. Houshmanzadeh is a possession WR, and Derrick Mason is a possession WR. They should be easy to cover when they all run 5-7 yard routes all the time. Plus Boldin is always hurt, Housh is a whiny little beeyotch, and Mason is older than dirt.

With Ed Reed on the shelf and Ray Lewis decomposing, the only quality Ravens with All-Pro potential are Haloti Ngata and Ray Rice. Terrell Suggs is obscenely overrated. Joe Flacco has an All-Pro unibrow, but that's about it.

I'm curious to see how Mt. Cody does this year. He ate up some guys in preseason.

NJ-STEELER
09-10-2010, 10:23 AM

it.

what is our current #1 receiver?

RuthlessBurgher
09-10-2010, 10:26 AM

it.

what is our current #1 receiver?

Hines is a possession WR, but we have a deep threat opposite of him. The Ravens have no depth threat. You can play 8 men in the box against Baltimore and not worry about getting beat deep. You can't play 8 men in the box against Pittsburgh, or Mike Wallace will make you pay.

NJ-STEELER
09-10-2010, 10:31 AM
what if they play 7 in the box and give safety help over the top on wallace
:stirpot. do you really need to put 8 in the box vs our OL? going up 1 on 1 against them seems to work well for the defenses :stirpot :stirpot

i realize they have similiar receivers, but i'm not gonna poo poo this signing. they made themselves better at a minimal cost.

that said i hope one of our DBs takes his head off the first time he crosses the middle

grotonsteel
09-10-2010, 10:34 AM

Flacco can throw deep but can Joe Flacco throw 6-7 yards passes accurately in traffic?

I still believe Raven needed a deep threat WR like Desean Jackson. They have too many possession WR on the roster. And Boldin gonna b&&ch if he is not going to be No.1 WR. Isn't that the reason Boldin left Cards?

ANPSTEEL
09-10-2010, 10:49 AM

I'm curious to see how Mt. Cody does this year. He ate up some guys in preseason.

Baltimore is going to find themselves facing a lot of 4 & 5 wide sets this season- not only to exploit their extremely weak secondary, but to keep Cody (and possibly Ngata) off the field.

in a typical two wide, 1 TE set- until Reed gets back, the Ravens are lining up second tier guys to cover the opponents starting sets- if you go 4 or 5 wide- the Ravens are forced to bring in 3rd tier guys. This is going to be exploited all season- even when Reed gets back.

On offense- while they have no true deep threat, Boldin will serve that role. He has reliable hands and is tough. TJ & Mason are dependable intermediate receivers, in addition to Heap, and Rice out of the backfield... that offense will put a lot of pressure on any defense. Against prolific passing offenses- they are going to want to control the clock with short passes, and consistent running by Rice and McLain.

As far as 9-7 goes?? Maybe. The AFC North is going to be tough this season, period.

They were swept by the Bengals last season, and it wouldn't surprise me if it happened again this year. Cincy has a good defense, and a much better secondary.

This season is a mystery for the Steelers. I'm confident Ben will come back ultra focused and out to prove something, but will it matter?? Also, I'm not convinced the team effectively replaced Holmes for the season. (the rookies look promising- but they are rookies- and likely to make as many critical errors as they do stellar plays.)

It wouldn't surprise me if the only playoff team from the division is the winner.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
09-10-2010, 11:06 AM
Unfortunately the experts deal in hype more than reality and insight.

I have never bought into Joe Flacco as a potential top tier QB. He was asked to do less than Ben ever was when he started yet Ben was a "game manager". Any success he has will be predicated by a great run game - which they may have, a solid O line - which I don't think that they have, and a top D - which is still debatable due to age and the absence of Reed.

If you then look at the big WR acquisitions there is some question. I love Boldin's game when he is on the field - but will he be on the field all season? When playing he does the things that Hines does to aid the running game as well as being a dangerous pass catcher. TJ has never proven that he can operate without Chad Johnson in his prime across from him. IMO three or so years ago Chad was a top three receiver and one of the biggest big play threats in the game. Mason also has a nice game but is declining in the skills department.

That being said, find me a team out there today without a lot of question marks. We have a bunch as well and have been picked in one article top win it all. This season I do not see a clear cut "best team" that has to be taken down before a title can be taken away. I see a whole lot of teams who can say "We are as good as anyone, and if things break our way we have as good a chance as all the others of winning it all."

anger 82&95
09-10-2010, 11:09 AM

Literally, and he was probably still hungry...

Dee Dub
09-10-2010, 11:44 AM

Agreed. They have a QB who's strength is to stretch the field but they dont have a receiver who can get behind the secondary. And the cool thing is the Steelers defense is predicated on keeping everything in front of their secondary. Those procession receivers of theirs are running routes right into the teeth of LeBeau's defense. And allows for him to keep 8 or 9 near the box and help in run support.

Slapstick
09-10-2010, 01:18 PM
Let's hope that the Ravens believe their hype...and that the Steelers disabuse them by abusing them...

papillon
09-10-2010, 01:41 PM

And they could very easily beat the Steelers twice this year, once without Ben and once at home.

Pappy

steelcurtain44
09-10-2010, 02:13 PM
I know most if not all hate the Ravens, but man give it a rest. Who really cares what prognosticaters say. That's what they do. It doesn't mean anything. On paper the Ravens do look good. Just like on paper the Steelers look good (at least with Ben). The Bengals and the Ravens are favorites in the North, as it should be. Doesn't mean that's how it will end up.

People make predictions, just like the people on this board. You don't have to agree with them, but you can't critize them, because you don't like their pick. This is honestly a wasted post.

feltdizz
09-10-2010, 02:14 PM
Baltimore is trying to put together a SB run and I'm impressed with their recent moves. Flacco isn't an elite QB but he has solidified a key position on their team. He won't win many games but he won't lose many either.

That being said... I think our D is pretty good at getting in Flacco's head. We just have to make sure Farrior isn't matched up on Rice...

I think the Jets are the over rated team this year. Their QB isn't that good.

Dee Dub
09-10-2010, 02:21 PM
Baltimore is trying to put together a SB run and I'm impressed with their recent moves. Flacco isn't an elite QB but he has solidified a key position on their team. He won't win many games but he won't lose many either.

..But It is all on the offensive side of the ball. On Defense this team is severely lacking. And for 44 years Super Bowl runs required a top flight defense.