PDA

View Full Version : Gerry Dulac's Steelers chat transcript: 9.8.2010

hawaiiansteel
09-09-2010, 04:30 PM
Gerry Dulac's Steelers chat transcript: 9.8.2010

WEDNESDAY, 08 SEPTEMBER 2010 14:51 WRITTEN BY DAN GIGLER

TonyM from Largo Fl: Gerry thank god your chats are back! We missed you!. Were you surprised that Tomlin is going to start Dixon? Do you like that?

Gerry Dulac: Thanx for missing me....I was a little surprised, not totally floored, but based on what I was hearing I thought it could be Charlie Batch. Let me say this -- if the Steelers need a starter for 16 games, not four, then I think the entire preseason would have been devoted to making sure Dixon was that guy. But, because the Steelers only need a player to keep the seat warm until No. 7 gets back, I did not fault their thinking that Leftwich (or Batch) should be the QB. That way, all the pressure wouldn't be on Dixon and they wouldnt have to worry about destroying his confidence in they had to yank him.

Bob From Va: From the stands and on TV I became convinced that Willie Parkers' biggest problem was that he would/could not follow his blockers.

Gerry Dulac: It is hard to find fault with a two-time Pro Bowl running back that he did not follow his blockers.

Steel Curtain Rising: Welcome back Gerry, we missed you. During the spring I asked you if you thought the Steelers should bring back Nick Eason and Travis Kirske and indicated that it was "time for the Steelers to stop cutting all of their young lineman." Were you disappointed that Sunny Harris and Doug Worthington got cut, or did Nick Eason beat them out fair and square?

Gerry Dulac: Thanx, my man..... I did think that, and I still think that, but I think that only if the competition were close, as I thought it was with Harris and Eason. But, even though Eason started off slow at camp because of an appendectomy, he apparently outplayed Harris to the point that it wasn't much of a competition. Worthington, at best, was a practice squad player. And the Steelers quickly released him from the practice squad when they signed DT Al Woods yesterday.

TadAskew: Gerry - are there any "unwritten rules" of watching a football game from The Press Box ?

Gerry Dulac: Yeah, no cheering. Bring binoculars.

Steel Curtain Rising: The national media, it seems, are trying to make something out of the fact that Ben didn't get elected captain. Are they just blowing smoke, or is this an indication that in spite of all public statements to the contrary, the locker room is not united behind Ben.

Gerry Dulac: No, I just think it's awfully difficult to have a suspended player be your captain. Why isn't anything made over the fact that James Harrison is not a captain this year, either??

Hombre De Acero: Gerry, the Steelers kept 8 drafted players, however they let go of four players for the 2009 rookie class -- given the Steelers issues with age, is the class half full or half empty?

Gerry Dulac: Good point. The draft class might look good right now, but let's wait a couple years -- or, as was the case with the 2009 class, wait a year. The real test of a draft is how many players become starters or real contributors. Hey, 35 of the 53 players on the correct roster were drafted by the Steelers. Only the Packers (36) have more drafted players on their roster.

Argentine Steelers Fans: Do you know if the Steelers plan to activate all four running backs for Sunday's game?

Gerry Dulac: They probably won't dress all four, and the odd man out will be rookie Jonathan Dwyer. All the backs on the roster are halfbacks, not fullbacks (surprise, huh?), so unless Dwyer was a stand-out special teams player, which he isn't, the Steelers do not need four halfback-types active.

Hombre De Acero: Ed (seemed to) hint at this yesterday, so let me ask you. Do you think that one of the reasons Tomlin is starting Dixon is because he does not want to start Batch, whom he'll probably have to cut on week five?

Gerry Dulac: I don't think that's one of the reasons Tomlin is starting Dixon over Batch, even though there is the very real possibility that Batch's days with the team could be dwindling. But I will tell you one of the reasons Tomlin is starting Dixon -- a gut feeling. At least, that's what I was told by someone who would know. The last time a Steelers coach had a "gut feeling" and started a quarterback in the season opener, it was Jim Miller in Jacksonville in 1996. And Miller lasted all of a half before he was replaced by Mike Tomczak.

Gary S from Largo FL: Gerry why did we keep Leftwich if hes out 4 wks instead of cutting him?

Gerry Dulac: Well, probably because they intend to keep him for the duration of the season. I think if something similar happened to Charlie Batch, and not Leftwich, they would have cut Batch with an injury settlement. The Steelers signed Leftwich to a two-year contract when they traded for him, so they intend to keep him as backup this year and next.

Steel Curtain Rising: Going into training camp, some seemed to indicate that Ziggy Hood might push Brett Keisel for a starting job. That did not seem to happen. Any concern among the coaches that Hood's development might have stalled?

Gerry Dulac: Very perceptive SCR.....I did not see a thing from Ziggy Hood in the preseason games to indicate he is ready to become a starter. At training camp, he was looking like a player who deserved to be used in some kind of rotation with the starters. But, once he got in games, Ziggy did very little of anything, except get blocked. I am not ready to say his development has been stalled, nor have I been told that. But I am not ready to jump on the Ziggy Should Play bandwagon just yet.

Guest: Hi Gerry, How is the O-Line looking? Will Flozell Adams be effective at RT?

Gerry Dulac: They are looking BIG, especially with Flozell The Hotel. I think they will be fine with him at right tackle. But let's see how long he can last. He is 35, after all.

Shadoe Stevens For The Block: Ed....who do you see as the biggest (good or bad) surprise player on the team this year? The one guy who will shine the most or the one guy that will falter the most?

Gerry Dulac: Ed?

Steel Curtain Rising: Gerry, if someone had told you say in, May, that Tony Hills was going to become a top back up at tackle, what would have you said?

Gerry Dulac: I would have used my best New Jersey accent to say ....Fuhgedaboudid!! Tony Hills went from being in danger of being cut to looking like a guy who could step in for Max Starks with no apparent dropoff. The Steelers coaches think part of the reason for the turnaround is the presence of his college teammate, Jonathan Scott, who was signed in free agency from the Bills. Scott has brought out the best in Hills and the transformation has been dramatic, really.

Steel Curtain Rising: Is the prospect of Leftwich playing during week two really realistic?

Gerry Dulac: No. I have been told he will miss at least three games. Remember, he has to be able to move back there to protect himself, and an MCL tear of his nature takes some time to heal. He will also have to wear a brace when he returns. Week 4 is about the earliest possible date.

Gerry Dulac: All right, kids, that's going to do it for our first chat back. Same time next week. See you then. In the words of Myron Cope....bye now!!

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/inde ... ipt-982010 (http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports-town/gerry-dulac-chat/104856-gerry-dulacs-steelers-chat-transcript-982010)

cruzer8
09-09-2010, 04:48 PM
Steel Curtain Rising: The national media, it seems, are trying to make something out of the fact that Ben didn't get elected captain. Are they just blowing smoke, or is this an indication that in spite of all public statements to the contrary, the locker room is not united behind Ben.

Gerry Dulac: No, I just think it's awfully difficult to have a suspended player be your captain. Why isn't anything made over the fact that James Harrison is not a captain this year, either??

Such a simple explanation. But people still want to read more into it.

steelblood
09-09-2010, 04:57 PM
That chat sucked.

JDSteeler
09-10-2010, 02:26 AM
Gerry Dulac's Steelers chat transcript: 9.8.2010

WEDNESDAY, 08 SEPTEMBER 2010 14:51 WRITTEN BY DAN GIGLER

TonyM from Largo Fl: Gerry thank god your chats are back! We missed you!. Were you surprised that Tomlin is going to start Dixon? Do you like that?

Gerry Dulac: Thanx for missing me....I was a little surprised, not totally floored, but based on what I was hearing I thought it could be Charlie Batch. Let me say this -- if the Steelers need a starter for 16 games, not four, then I think the entire preseason would have been devoted to making sure Dixon was that guy. But, because the Steelers only need a player to keep the seat warm until No. 7 gets back, I did not fault their thinking that Leftwich (or Batch) should be the QB. That way, all the pressure wouldn't be on Dixon and they wouldnt have to worry about destroying his confidence in they had to yank him.

Bob From Va: From the stands and on TV I became convinced that Willie Parkers' biggest problem was that he would/could not follow his blockers.

Gerry Dulac: It is hard to find fault with a two-time Pro Bowl running back that he did not follow his blockers.

Steel Curtain Rising: Welcome back Gerry, we missed you. During the spring I asked you if you thought the Steelers should bring back Nick Eason and Travis Kirske and indicated that it was "time for the Steelers to stop cutting all of their young lineman." Were you disappointed that Sunny Harris and Doug Worthington got cut, or did Nick Eason beat them out fair and square?

Gerry Dulac: Thanx, my man..... I did think that, and I still think that, but I think that only if the competition were close, as I thought it was with Harris and Eason. But, even though Eason started off slow at camp because of an appendectomy, he apparently outplayed Harris to the point that it wasn't much of a competition. Worthington, at best, was a practice squad player. And the Steelers quickly released him from the practice squad when they signed DT Al Woods yesterday.

TadAskew: Gerry - are there any "unwritten rules" of watching a football game from The Press Box ?

Gerry Dulac: Yeah, no cheering. Bring binoculars.

Hombre De Acero: Gerry, the Steelers kept 8 drafted players, however they let go of four players for the 2009 rookie class -- given the Steelers issues with age, is the class half full or half empty?

Gerry Dulac: Good point. The draft class might look good right now, but let's wait a couple years -- or, as was the case with the 2009 class, wait a year. The real test of a draft is how many players become starters or real contributors. Hey, 35 of the 53 players on the correct roster were drafted by the Steelers. Only the Packers (36) have more drafted players on their roster.

Argentine Steelers Fans: Do you know if the Steelers plan to activate all four running backs for Sunday's game?

Gerry Dulac: They probably won't dress all four, and the odd man out will be rookie Jonathan Dwyer. All the backs on the roster are halfbacks, not fullbacks (surprise, huh?), so unless Dwyer was a stand-out special teams player, which he isn't, the Steelers do not need four halfback-types active.

Hombre De Acero: Ed (seemed to) hint at this yesterday, so let me ask you. Do you think that one of the reasons Tomlin is starting Dixon is because he does not want to start Batch, whom he'll probably have to cut on week five?

Gerry Dulac: I don't think that's one of the reasons Tomlin is starting Dixon over Batch, even though there is the very real possibility that Batch's days with the team could be dwindling. But I will tell you one of the reasons Tomlin is starting Dixon -- a gut feeling. At least, that's what I was told by someone who would know. The last time a Steelers coach had a "gut feeling" and started a quarterback in the season opener, it was Jim Miller in Jacksonville in 1996. And Miller lasted all of a half before he was replaced by Mike Tomczak.

Gary S from Largo FL: Gerry why did we keep Leftwich if hes out 4 wks instead of cutting him?

Gerry Dulac: Well, probably because they intend to keep him for the duration of the season. I think if something similar happened to Charlie Batch, and not Leftwich, they would have cut Batch with an injury settlement. The Steelers signed Leftwich to a two-year contract when they traded for him, so they intend to keep him as backup this year and next.

Steel Curtain Rising: Going into training camp, some seemed to indicate that Ziggy Hood might push Brett Keisel for a starting job. That did not seem to happen. Any concern among the coaches that Hood's development might have stalled?

Gerry Dulac: Very perceptive SCR.....I did not see a thing from Ziggy Hood in the preseason games to indicate he is ready to become a starter. At training camp, he was looking like a player who deserved to be used in some kind of rotation with the starters. But, once he got in games, Ziggy did very little of anything, except get blocked. I am not ready to say his development has been stalled, nor have I been told that. But I am not ready to jump on the Ziggy Should Play bandwagon just yet.

Guest: Hi Gerry, How is the O-Line looking? Will Flozell Adams be effective at RT?

Gerry Dulac: They are looking BIG, especially with Flozell The Hotel. I think they will be fine with him at right tackle. But let's see how long he can last. He is 35, after all.

Shadoe Stevens For The Block: Ed....who do you see as the biggest (good or bad) surprise player on the team this year? The one guy who will shine the most or the one guy that will falter the most?

Gerry Dulac: Ed?

Steel Curtain Rising: Gerry, if someone had told you say in, May, that Tony Hills was going to become a top back up at tackle, what would have you said?

Gerry Dulac: I would have used my best New Jersey accent to say ....Fuhgedaboudid!! Tony Hills went from being in danger of being cut to looking like a guy who could step in for Max Starks with no apparent dropoff. The Steelers coaches think part of the reason for the turnaround is the presence of his college teammate, Jonathan Scott, who was signed in free agency from the Bills. Scott has brought out the best in Hills and the transformation has been dramatic, really.

Steel Curtain Rising: Is the prospect of Leftwich playing during week two really realistic?

Gerry Dulac: No. I have been told he will miss at least three games. Remember, he has to be able to move back there to protect himself, and an MCL tear of his nature takes some time to heal. He will also have to wear a brace when he returns. Week 4 is about the earliest possible date.

Gerry Dulac: All right, kids, that's going to do it for our first chat back. Same time next week. See you then. In the words of Myron Cope....bye now!!

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/inde ... ipt-982010 (http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports-town/gerry-dulac-chat/104856-gerry-dulacs-steelers-chat-transcript-982010)

We'll see if he shows up on Sunday!!!!

JD

hawaiiansteel
09-10-2010, 03:24 PM
Gerry: What a difference from '09

FRIDAY, 10 SEPTEMBER 2010 10:20 WRITTEN BY GERRY DULAC

Has anybody stopped to think how different the offense will look against the Falcons as opposed to last year’s season opener against the Tennessee Titans?

The Steelers will have a different quarterback (Dennis Dixon), a different running back (Rashard Mendenhall), a different big-play wide receiver (Mike Wallace) and three different offensive linemen (center Maurkice Pouncey, right tackle Flozell Adams and guard Doug Legursky) if G Chris Kemoeatu is unable to play because of an ankle injury.

As opposed to a year ago, they will begin the season without a two-time Super Bowl winning quarterback (Ben Roethlisberger), a two-time Pro Bowl running back (Willie Parker), a Super Bowl MVP (Santonio Holmes) and their best offensive lineman (Willie Colon).

That means six offensive starters against the Falcons were not in that position a year ago when the Steelers opened at Heinz Field, whether because of suspensions, trades, injuries or waivers.

And people want to know why the Falcons are a 2 ½-point favorite?

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/inde ... um=twitter (http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports-town/steelers/104894-gerry-what-a-difference-from-09?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter)

hawaiiansteel
09-10-2010, 03:30 PM
Gerry: No more shadow coverage

FRIDAY, 10 SEPTEMBER 2010 10:06 WRITTEN BY GERRY DULAC

I wouldn’t be looking for CB Ike Taylor to follow Pro Bowl receiver Roddy White on Sunday when the Falcons come to Heinz Field.

For starters, the Steelers rarely do that when the other team has more than one quality receiver, like the Falcons do with tight end Tony Gonzalez and wideout Michael Jenkins.

But, after a season in which the secondary allowed so many big pass plays, the Steelers will probably not do much of that, if any of that, this season.

They want to concentrate of being more fundamentally sound in the secondary and go back to having their cornerbacks practice the basic tenet of keeping the ball in front of them – Dick LeBeau’s No. 1 priority.

That did not happen last season.

When Taylor is assigned to shadow the other team’s top receiver, the Steelers also rotate at least one of their safeties toward that receiver, allowing quarterbacks to throw away from coverage. That was one of the reasons CB Willie Gay was picked on so much last season – and one of the reasons he has been replaced by Bryant McFadden.

The Ike Taylor Lockdown experiment is probably a thing of the past.

http://ht.ly/18WZdL