PDA

View Full Version : Just heard on "The Drive"

Djfan
09-09-2010, 03:24 PM
Redman was told by Brucey A, that Mendenhall is the goal line guy, and not Redman.

What is this guy doing? I officailly hate BA again.

steelsnis
09-09-2010, 03:48 PM
Good news for me! Mendy is on my fantasy team!

hawaiiansteel
09-09-2010, 03:49 PM
if our offense struggles this season (particularly the running game) I believe Arians will be on thin ice...in my opinion, Bruce already is. he's lucky Ben went to bat for him or he might be unemployed right now.

http://www.smashingapps.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/thin-ice.jpg

Slapstick
09-09-2010, 03:55 PM
"Goal line" guy is different from "short yardage" guy...

I think that Mendenhall is a good choice for the end zone packages...

Crash
09-09-2010, 03:56 PM
Won't matter if Spaeth is on the field.

Steelers>NFL
09-09-2010, 04:00 PM

Why in the blue he77 is he still on this team????

aggiebones
09-09-2010, 04:26 PM
I'll be glad when the season starts, so that the speculation all ends from the million discussions. Coaches say one thing and do another for many reasons.
All I know is Redman gets things done when he's in there. If he goes out in the regular season and lays an egg, we'll all know and we can move on to when Dwyer will become Bettis II. lol

Football is here Football is here.
Hooray for me football is beer.

Djfan
09-09-2010, 05:02 PM
if our offense struggles this season (particularly the running game) I believe Arians will be on thin ice...in my opinion, Bruce already is. he's lucky Ben went to bat for him or he might be unemployed right now.

I am one who thinks he doesn't use the sterngths of the players well, nor does he exploit the weaknesses of the other defenses well, nor does he go away from the strengths of the other defenses well.

Other than that he is OK. Except for the getting fired by the Stains thing.

fezziwig
09-09-2010, 05:05 PM

I agree that BA stinks but is it confirmed that Ben went to bat for Bruce ?

feltdizz
09-09-2010, 05:48 PM
Ben didn't save BA's job because he was never on the hot seat. Our O had amazing stats last year... our D and ST's had horrible stats last year. Why is the OC on the hot seat? It makes no sense...

Reporters put their personal agenda's before facts when it came to BA. Russ Grimm was also our HC a few years ago...

People need to stop fantasizing about BA being fired.

RuthlessBurgher
09-09-2010, 06:06 PM
I agree that BA stinks but is it confirmed that Ben went to bat for Bruce ?

Perhaps the girl in Milledgeville went up to Ben and whispered into his ear, "What kind of pansy@$$ team goes empty backfield on 3rd and 1?" before leaving to use the restroom. Ben then followed her down the hallway to defend Bruce's honor. It's all BA's fault again!!!

Snatch98
09-09-2010, 06:29 PM
Mendenhall should be the goal line. I like Redman and I'm glad he made the team but his "cute" nickname doesn't make him a better option at the goaline than Mendenhall. He doesn't have the burst or the vision of Mendenhall and the last I checked Rashard is a strong boy himself. Redman will come in when Rashard is to gased to push for the extra yards but he (Mendenhall) needs to be in when we're in goal line sets. Period.

feltdizz
09-09-2010, 06:55 PM
Mendenhall is the feature but best believe when we need 2 yards Redman will get touches.

Sugar
09-09-2010, 07:02 PM
Ben didn't save BA's job because he was never on the hot seat. Our O had amazing stats last year... our D and ST's had horrible stats last year. Why is the OC on the hot seat? It makes no sense...

Reporters put their personal agenda's before facts when it came to BA. Russ Grimm was also our HC a few years ago...

Ahhh, some sanity at last!!

Aside from a few short yardage situations and the Cleveland game in general, the Offense was about as good as one could ever expect to be. We are now looking to repair the short yardage effectiveness and hopefully will be able to continue our success even with the challenges that have been presented to us.

AngryAsian
09-09-2010, 07:31 PM
We do not have Sean Peyton orchestrating our O... we have BA. Rolaids/Tums are compulsory with every season.

stlrz d
09-09-2010, 09:28 PM
Our O had amazing stats last year

BFD. Stats don't mean sh!t.

feltdizz
09-09-2010, 09:47 PM

Then why do they keep them?

stlrz d
09-09-2010, 09:51 PM

So people who don't know anything about football can use them to pretend they do.

kiwi_sarah
09-09-2010, 09:59 PM
[quote=feltdizz]Our O had amazing stats last year

So people who don't know anything about football can use them to pretend they do.[/quote:2qz4x574]

I'll admit it, I giggled.

papillon
09-09-2010, 10:04 PM

General managers and owners sure seem to pay the guys with the best stats more than those without them. Are the GMs and owners pretending to know football? Just sayin.

Pappy

ikestops85
09-09-2010, 10:06 PM

So people who don't know anything about football can use them to pretend they do.[/quote:1dde02ot]
We were an offensive juggernaut between the 20's last year. We just had a hard time getting it into the endzone. Some of that was due to the failure of the O line and some due to Arians not properly utilizing weapons we do have.

I feel Spaeth could be a TD machine if we only threw him the ball near the goal line. Instead we throw fades to one of the smaller wide receivers. It just leaves me scratching my head. :HeadBanger

stlrz d
09-09-2010, 10:24 PM

So people who don't know anything about football can use them to pretend they do.
We were an offensive juggernaut between the 20's last year. We just had a hard time getting it into the endzone. Some of that was due to the failure of the O line and some due to Arians not properly utilizing weapons we do have.

I feel Spaeth could be a TD machine if we only threw him the ball near the goal line. Instead we throw fades to one of the smaller wide receivers. It just leaves me scratching my head. :HeadBanger[/quote:3nztqpry]

Which is exactly why stats don't mean sh!t. Glad to see you get it.

Carson Palmer's thrown for almost 19k yards in his career. How much of that was because of his team being out of it early and throwing the ball like crazy to try and get back in? And he's just one example of many.

Glad I could entertain you, KS. :lol:

steelnavy
09-09-2010, 10:53 PM

Dude, are you BA's lover? You are THE ONLY person that continuously slobbers over this guy and comes out of the woodwork to defend him EVERY time someone dares to say something less than glowing about the below average historied coach whose last claim to fame was being fired by Cleveland for sucking as an O coordinator.

Steelers stats last year:
Offense ranked 17th (if my memory is correct) and that equals "amazing"?!?
Defense ranked 5th and that equals "horrible"?!?

Give it a break.

kiwi_sarah
09-09-2010, 11:00 PM
[quote=feltdizz][quote="stlrz d":nm2v44rj]

I feel Spaeth could be a TD machine if we only threw him the ball near the goal line. Instead we throw fades to one of the smaller wide receivers. It just leaves me scratching my head. :HeadBanger[/quote:nm2v44rj]

Carson Palmer's thrown for almost 19k yards in his career. How much of that was because of his team being out of it early and throwing the ball like crazy to try and get back in? And he's just one example of many.

Glad I could entertain you, KS. :lol:[/quote:nm2v44rj]

I might have been laughing at you :P

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
09-10-2010, 09:28 AM
Mendenhall should be the goal line. I like Redman and I'm glad he made the team but his "cute" nickname doesn't make him a better option at the goaline than Mendenhall. He doesn't have the burst or the vision of Mendenhall and the last I checked Rashard is a strong boy himself. Redman will come in when Rashard is to gased to push for the extra yards but he (Mendenhall) needs to be in when we're in goal line sets. Period.

$$ Snatch.

This is not a team with a platoon situation at RB. It is not like the Giants and we can say "Do we go with Bradshaw or Jacobs at the GL....make it Jacobs because he is bigger."

We have a feature back and some role players as backups. One role player comes in when we are in a passing situation, one is good to pick up short yardage - which sounds like goal line back but it isn't.

When we are close to scoring you put in the guy who you are paying to gain yards - your feature back. That is Mendenhall. And before anyone starts discussing Jerome and his 5 yards in three carries for three TDs....we don't have Jerome Bettis on this team.

Mister Pittsburgh
09-10-2010, 09:31 AM

I don't think Spaeth is necessarily a bad player. I think Bruce Arians has no idea how to create gameplans or more specifically design plays for the specific skill sets of the players he has available for him to use. That is why we still have the same problems we have for the past few years.

Djfan
09-10-2010, 09:52 AM
[quote=Crash]Won't matter if Spaeth is on the field.

I don't think Spaeth is necessarily a bad player. I think Bruce Arians has no idea how to create gameplans or more specifically design plays for the specific skill sets of the players he has available for him to use. That is why we still have the same problems we have for the past few years.[/quote:34d7rd1n]

$$$$

As for Mendy's job vs. Redman's, I saw Redman push piles, and haven't seen Mendy do it as much. Before anyone brings up the "scrubs and third team players" argument, let me point out that even those guys have experience and strength. Also, Redman pushed piles of 4-6 guys many times in the preseason.

I don't want to see Mendy turn into a punching bag on the goal line, and get hurt. I see Redman as having skills to put meat on meat. Maybe BA can put them both in on goal line situations. Nah. Makes too much sense.

ESPN radio just said that BA picked Mendy over Redman because:

1) He showed ability (agreed)
2) Not enough time in goal line situations to substitute players.

WTH???? Another genius comment by Brucey.

feltdizz
09-10-2010, 10:00 AM

Dude, are you BA's lover? You are THE ONLY person that continuously slobbers over this guy and comes out of the woodwork to defend him EVERY time someone dares to say something less than glowing about the below average historied coach whose last claim to fame was being fired by Cleveland for sucking as an O coordinator.

Give it a break.

Stat's don't mean sh!t! :wink: or do they only mean sh!t when they serve your agenda?

The Defense blew last year. Never said stats meant everything... but they definitely mean something or they wouldn't be kept.

I defend BA because he gets blame for everything on our team. The ST's.. the D.. it's all BA's fault. :roll:

Arians last claim to fame was a SB ring... what was yours?

I'm sorry if defending the OC of our team who Ben loves... who has produced a 4000 yard passer, 2 - 1000 yard WR's and a 1200 yard RB... the guy made Nate Washington look like a WR worth spending money on, he put Sweed in position to be the next great #3WR.. and he put Wallace in situations that made him a household name.

So sorry I'm bursting your balloon by rooting for BA.

feltdizz
09-10-2010, 10:08 AM

Glad I could entertain you, KS. :lol:

It's football... :HeadBanger :HeadBanger

You run or you pass... and as you have said in the past, it's a passing league?

Too easy...

feltdizz
09-10-2010, 10:10 AM

General managers and owners sure seem to pay the guys with the best stats more than those without them. Are the GMs and owners pretending to know football? Just sayin.

Pappy

shh... stats don't mean sh!t. :wink:

cruzer8
09-10-2010, 10:45 AM
Yeah I'm not a stats guy either. Neither are GMs or coaches or scouts. They know who should be able to play within their system. They know who shouldn't be a good fit.

Stats are for baseball fans and fantasy geeks.

feltdizz
09-10-2010, 02:06 PM
Yeah I'm not a stats guy either. Neither are GMs or coaches or scouts. They know who should be able to play within their system. They know who shouldn't be a good fit.

Stats are still part of their equation when evaluating talent or coaches. Anyone who thinks they aren't referenced is fooling themselves.

cruzer8
09-10-2010, 02:58 PM

Stats are still part of their equation when evaluating talent or coaches. Anyone who thinks they aren't referenced is fooling themselves.

It is the opposite that is true.

Slapstick
09-10-2010, 04:07 PM

Really?

Then why add incentives and escalators into contracts based upon statistical performance?

RuthlessBurgher
09-10-2010, 04:09 PM

I swear you guys just automatically take opposite stances no matter what the discussion is.

cruzer8
09-10-2010, 04:47 PM

Really?

Then why add incentives and escalators into contracts based upon statistical performance?

You're missing the point of the discussion. When a GM is looking for a guy to draft or sign they are not looking at statistics. They are looking at how the guy fits the system employed by the team.

How many times do you hear the term "product of the system" with regard to players?

Stats are virtually meaningless in football. It's the ultimate team game. And many of the stats accumulated (like the Palmer example given before, or like the Steelers between the 20's last season) are arbitrary and situational, which means nothing.

Stats are for fantasy geeks.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-10-2010, 05:19 PM

I swear you guys just automatically take opposite stances no matter what the discussion is.

No they don't!

:P

feltdizz
09-10-2010, 06:35 PM
Stats mean something. They aren't the end all but they definitely are used in the equation when evaluating talent.

I'm glad a few people are starting to realize there is a "Party of No" on here. :wink:

fordfixer
09-10-2010, 08:06 PM

No they don't!

Yes they do

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-10-2010, 08:34 PM

No they don't!

Yes they do

Do not!!
http://www.scottberkun.com/wp-content/themes/scottberkun/images/40-1.jpg

Now wait a minute!!
http://www.posters.ws/images/862266/three_stooges.jpg

RuthlessBurgher
09-10-2010, 10:07 PM
Less Filling!

http://www.mentalfloss.com/quiz/uploads/1211344623396.jpg

fordfixer
09-10-2010, 11:20 PM

No they don't!

Yes they do

Do not!!
http://www.scottberkun.com/wp-content/themes/scottberkun/images/40-1.jpg

Now wait a minute!!
http://www.posters.ws/images/862266/three_stooges.jpg

Do too

Nuk,nuk,nuk

Djfan
09-11-2010, 09:54 AM
FF,

You always have the most insightful things to add. I have to admit you changed my mind about this issue. I agree. Does not.

steelnavy
09-11-2010, 08:37 PM
[quote=feltdizz]Ben didn't save BA's job because he was never on the hot seat. Our O had amazing stats last year... our D and ST's had horrible stats last year. Why is the OC on the hot seat? It makes no sense...

Give it a break.

Stat's don't mean sh!t! :wink: or do they only mean sh!t when they serve your agenda?
You show a lot of immaturity in your ability to argue a point. When did I ever say that stats didn't mean anything? Thats right, I didn’t. And BTW, what stat is more important, ranking 1st in offensive production (the official stat used by the NFL to decide the most productive offense) or how many yards a quarterback passes in a season (see Carson the ‘weiner eating’ Palmer for how important that stat is), which is used by Feltdizz, the smartest man in the world. Ranking #1 in offensive production equals the best offense in the NFL. Ranking 17th in offensive production equals ‘ok’ offense. You are on a one man crusade to try to convince everyone that the world is flat, and the most ironic part is that you sit up high on your pedestal looking down on all the poor souls that just don’t get it…

The Defense blew last year. Never said stats meant everything... but they definitely mean something or they wouldn't be kept.
Again, the official NFL position is that the Steelers defense ranked 5th in production, meaning that they outplayed 26 other defenses, but in the fantasy world that you live in, BA walks on water and the defense “blew.” If the Steelers D blew, then what did the other 26 defenses do?!? You sound like a card carrying member of the Flat Earth Society.

I defend BA because he gets blame for everything on our team. The ST's.. the D.. it's all BA's fault. :roll:
You make this ridiculous statement over and over. Please show me ONE TIME when anybody ever wrote that. You can’t. Please stick to the facts. Again, immature ranting.

Arians last claim to fame was a SB ring... what was yours?
So Arians has arrived since he has a SB ring. What about the 3rd string scrubs that got one too? By asking me what I accomplished lately, are you saying that since Arians got a SB ring and I don’t, little old me has no right to say anything about him?!? Does being on a team that won the SB make him beyond reproach? Does that mean I shouldn’t say anything bad about Carey Davis because he got a SB ring? And does that make him better than me too? Once again, immature argument.

I'm sorry if defending the OC of our team who Ben loves... who has produced a 4000 yard passer, 2 - 1000 yard WR's and a 1200 yard RB... the guy made Nate Washington look like a WR worth spending money on, he put Sweed in position to be the next great #3WR.. and he put Wallace in situations that made him a household name.
He helped Sweed, our #2 pick, to get to where he is now? WOW. Now THAT is something to brag about.

Thank gawd BA was there to make Wallace who he is. Remind me, was Wallace an undrafted, washed up scrub when he showed up? Oh, that’s right, he was a #3 draft pick. Those guys NEVER flourish on their own. Guess BA ran out of his magic potion when it came to the offensive line, huh?

So sorry I'm bursting your balloon by rooting for BA.[/quote:2ifmk9t2]
My bubble? Now that’s funny!

fordfixer
09-11-2010, 11:46 PM
FF,

You always have the most insightful things to add. I have to admit you changed my mind about this issue. I agree. Does not.

Well change it back you were right the first time........................I think :?

Djfan
09-11-2010, 11:47 PM
FF,

Well change it back you were right the first time........................I think :?

Well... My teleprompter broke, so whatever you need me to say, I just did!

Discipline of Steel
09-12-2010, 07:14 AM
There is one stat that actually does mean something. Total Points Scored. The only way to win a game in the NFL is to score points. The Steelers were #12 in Total Points Scored last year.