PDA

View Full Version : Why is it...

StarSpangledSteeler
09-08-2010, 02:02 PM
... that so many of our OL fail to finish their blocks? I'm asking seriously here. What is the reason? They must watch themselves on tape. They must see themselves blocking for two or three seconds then basically giving up. They must see guys like Pouncey come in and drive his man until the whistle, or chip one guy and block a second one, or bust his ass to get downfield and block a safety, and think - "Wow. Why don't I do that?" Are they that out of shape physically? Or are they just lazy?

Crash
09-08-2010, 02:04 PM
Marvel "One block" Smith was the master. Watch his old games. Made one attempt, win or lose, and he was done.

BradshawsHairdresser
09-08-2010, 06:43 PM
Marvel "One block" Smith was the master. Watch his old games. Made one attempt, win or lose, and he was done.

$$$

I got blasted on the Trib boards for pointing out his over-ratedness.

BURGH86STEEL
09-08-2010, 07:45 PM
... that so many of our OL fail to finish their blocks? I'm asking seriously here. What is the reason? They must watch themselves on tape. They must see themselves blocking for two or three seconds then basically giving up. They must see guys like Pouncey come in and drive his man until the whistle, or chip one guy and block a second one, or bust his bad word to get downfield and block a safety, and think - "Wow. Why don't I do that?" Are they that out of shape physically? Or are they just lazy?

I believe that you mention something that is an issue league wide. Not easy for a 300lb men to move that easily. Sometimes, the people they block have a say.

Pouncey has the talent that many Olinemen don't.

BURGH86STEEL
09-08-2010, 07:50 PM

$$$

I don't believe Smith was ever overrated. He was a very good player for the team for several seasons.

BradshawsHairdresser
09-08-2010, 08:40 PM

$$$

I don't believe Smith was ever overrated. He was a very good player for the team for several seasons.

Didn't say he wasn't a good one...but he wasn't worthy, as some thought, of All-Pro status, and he did have a penchant for making just one try on his blocks.

birtikidis
09-08-2010, 10:58 PM
I've noticed, many pros have terrible fundamental technique and aren't "finishers"
i was watching a minnesota/green bay game and on display was the worst tackling i had ever seen, at any level (this was like 3 years ago). it was terrible. and it's all aspects of the game.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
09-09-2010, 08:48 AM
You should see a in the regular season under Koogs. You don't expect it from the vets in the preseason but it is go time. That is why the young guys stood out because they needed to do it. I say guys like Pouncey, Hills, Legursky, Scott, and Urbik fightin until the whistle, cutting LB & DB down field. We should start seeing that from the vets in week 1.

stlrz d
09-09-2010, 08:50 AM
You should see a in the regular season under Koogs. You don't expect it from the vets in the preseason but it is go time. That is why the young guys stood out because they needed to do it. I say guys like Pouncey, Hills, Legursky, Scott, and Urbik fightin until the whistle, cutting LB & DB down field. We should start seeing that from the vets in week 1.

Can't remember who it was, but I heard a former NFL player on Fox Sports Radio yesterday saying that very thing.

Oviedo
09-09-2010, 09:10 AM

$$$

I would take a healthy Marvel Smith back onto this OL in a heartbeat. He would be better than everyone except Pouncey and Starks.

grotonsteel
09-09-2010, 11:12 AM

$$$

I don't think Marvel Smith was ever an Orlando Pace kinda player but injury-free Marvel Smith was a better OT than current Steelers OT.

For a 2nd Rd player he did pretty well.

BradshawsHairdresser
09-09-2010, 11:16 AM

$$$

I would take a healthy Marvel Smith back onto this OL in a heartbeat. He would be better than everyone except Pouncey and Starks.
So in your estimation, a healthy Smith < Starks...just reinforces my claim that Smith was over-rated, because Starks is no all-pro.

I, too, would take a healthy Smith back for this OL. That's not a testament to how great Smith was, so much as it is an admission of how bad our OL has been.