PDA

View Full Version : Last Round Up for Some Players?

Oviedo
09-08-2010, 10:48 AM
Some players have already been cut free like Hartwig and Logan. Dusting off an old topic who may we be watching for the last time starting this coming Sunday? Some thoughts.

Likely doing their last rodeo with the Steelers:

1. Flozell Adams--Is he realy anything more than a one year stop gap? Will we ever even remember he was once a Steeler?

2. Aaron Smith--great Steeler but age and injuries plus a $4+M salary will combine to reduce the possibility he is on the roster in 2011. Could hold on for one more season to take us into 2011 because we don't have subs ready to step in.

3. James Farrior: Already slowing down. Greatest Stelers free agent pick up ever, but his days are clearly over.

4. Hines Ward: Heart and soul of the team but nagging injuries are starting to get to him. Maybe get one more in 2011 but nothing past that.

5. Willie Colon: Can anyone have worse luck? Injury at the worst time in a contract year and facing a lockout plus the type on injury is tough to come back from. Could allow the Steelers to sign him at a discount.

Now the hard ones:

1. Ike Taylor: Had a bad season last year and is the final year of a contract. If he plays well this season he will be looking for a big contract. Not sure that at his age of over 30 and the possibility of a reduced cap works in his favor. Add in that 3 CBs have been drafted in the past two years plus Bmac returning and it is unlikely he gets a big contract and stays.

2. Troy Poalamalu: Are the injuries a "fluke" or the start of a general decline? This season will be vritical. If he can't stay healthy do you keep him and his cap number? Remember they let Ron Woodson walk at about the same point in his career. I think he stays though no matter what.

3. James Harrison: A stat to worry about: only 2 sacks in the final 8 games last year. Is he going Jason Gildon on us or was that a fluke? Do we risk not having cap space for Woodely to keep Harrison? Tough decision if he doesn't have a great season. Chances of being on roster in 2012: >50%

Just something to think about. Your thoughts? Anyone else?

NJ-STEELER
09-08-2010, 10:51 AM
when is troy's contract up?

adams most likely is a 1 year stop gap, unless he shows he can still perform and if willie wants to be paid like a top OT in the game, they may keep him

phillyesq
09-08-2010, 12:21 PM
I'm hoping that Adams is a one-year stopgap, but I could see him sticking next year if the Steelers don't resign Colon and draft a young OT early (and if he isn't terrible this year). He has been around a long-time, and could serve as a mentor until the pick eases him out of his spot.

papillon
09-08-2010, 12:22 PM
Some players have already been cut free like Hartwig and Logan. Dusting off an old topic who may we be watching for the last time starting this coming Sunday? Some thoughts.

1. Flozell Adams--Is he realy anything more than a one year stop gap? Will we ever even remember he was once a Steeler?

One year stop gap is all Flozell is going to be.

2. Aaron Smith--great Steeler but age and injuries plus a $4+M salary will combine to reduce the possibility he is on the roster in 2011. Could hold on for one more season to take us into 2011 because we don't have subs ready to step in.

We'll see how this season plays out, but I don't think this is it for him. I'm not certain when his contract is up.

3. James Farrior: Already slowing down. Greatest Stelers free agent pick up ever, but his days are clearly over.

I agree, he may stay on as a backup next season.

4. Hines Ward: Heart and soul of the team but nagging injuries are starting to get to him. Maybe get one more in 2011 but nothing past that.

People have been writing him off for years; until Hines says he's done I believe he'll play and play at a high level.

5. Willie Colon: Can anyone have worse luck? Injury at the worst time in a contract year and facing a lockout plus the type on injury is tough to come back from. Could allow the Steelers to sign him at a discount.

Now the hard ones:

1. Ike Taylor: Had a bad season last year and is the final year of a contract. If he plays well this season he will be looking for a big contract. Not sure that at his age of over 30 and the possibility of a reduced cap works in his favor. Add in that 3 CBs have been drafted in the past two years plus Bmac returning and it is unlikely he gets a big contract and stays.

I could see him being gone if this year's rookies make an impact on the defense.

2. Troy Poalamalu: Are the injuries a "fluke" or the start of a general decline? This season will be vritical. If he can't stay healthy do you keep him and his cap number? Remember they let Ron Woodson walk at about the same point in his career. I think he stays though no matter what.

Troy's injury was a freak accident and then he tried to come back too quickly. He's still has plenty left in the tank and with the LBs playing better his blitzing has been reduced. I think he's good for a few more years.

3. James Harrison: A stat to worry about: only 2 sacks in the final 8 games last year. Is he going Jason Gildon on us or was that a fluke? Do we risk not having cap space for Woodely to keep Harrison? Tough decision if he doesn't have a great season. Chances of being on roster in 2012: >50%

Yea, he did look rather pedestrian in the second half of the season last year. Lets see what happens and he signed a deal that will certainly take him to the end of his productive days.

Pappy

steelblood
09-08-2010, 12:25 PM
I'd move Aaron Smith down to the bottom category. He is still very effective. IF he stays healthy, he'll play one more season and the STeelers respect him too much to cut him. Heck, I think LeBeau and Mitchell would leave their wives for him.

RuthlessBurgher
09-08-2010, 12:47 PM
The only way I see Troy leaving any time soon is if he pulls a Robert Smith/Barry Sanders (which is not out of the realm of possibility, I suppose).

You constantly make way too much out of Harrison having 2 sacks in the last 8 games. You do realize that Woodley had only 2 sacks in the first 8 games last season, right? Each player had an above average half-season and a below-average half season. I don't see the big difference here.

ramblinjim
09-08-2010, 12:50 PM

I'm guessing stop gap but you never know. Playing RT may invigorate the old guy.

Aaron Smith's last day as a Steeler will be a sad day for the Nation. If he can keep the injury bug away I'll say we get one year after this one.

He's slowing down but wouldn't it be great to have him mentoring Sly for a year or two?

Our next Wide Receivers coach

is this guy really a premier RT like everyone says? I've never seen it myself. I think the Steelers will offer him a mid-level RT salary and be done with it.

Now the hard ones:

I think Dan Snyder, Jerry Jones or their ilk give Ike big bucks next year. The Patriots & Ravens have also had trouble in their secondaries so they could be places for him also

Not sure when Troy's contract is up but I could see him playing the last year of his contract and retiring.

I think Deebo's going to get some holding calls this year with the new ref placement and hurt some people.

Oviedo
09-08-2010, 01:36 PM
The only way I see Troy leaving any time soon is if he pulls a Robert Smith/Barry Sanders (which is not out of the realm of possibility, I suppose).

You constantly make way too much out of Harrison having 2 sacks in the last 8 games. You do realize that Woodley had only 2 sacks in the first 8 games last season, right? Each player had an above average half-season and a below-average half season. I don't see the big difference here.

Not sure we can afford Woodley and Harrison taking turns playing at a premier level for half a season, especially this season when the defense will need to win some games for us especially early.

I'll believe refs calling holding when I see it.

NJ-STEELER
09-08-2010, 01:51 PM
i think harrison has at least 1 good year left and prolly a second.

he still gets in there with pressure even though he's held and even though he may just miss some sacks by a split second.

the key is pressure and not just number of sacks...get the QB to throw the ball before he wants to and hit him.

as an example, we all hear how the saint's defense banged up farve in the NFCC last year.
their sack total for the game was ZERO

Stewie
09-08-2010, 03:11 PM
Where are Foote and ARE on the list??? Just call me "The Pruner."

Relentless7
09-08-2010, 03:49 PM

Harrison was also playing with a torn muscle in one arm the second half of the season, basically making him one armed. Harrison is a Beast... always has been always will be. He's going to have a BIG year this year in my opinion.