PDA

View Full Version : Madden: No crime but Ben does time

fordfixer
09-08-2010, 12:29 AM
Madden: No crime but Ben does time

By: Mark Madden
Beaver County Times
http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sport ... -time.html (http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sports_details/article/1501/2010/september/06/madden-no-crime-but-ben-does-time.html)

Monday September 6, 2010 11:50 PM

AP file photo by GENE J. PUSKAR Ben Roethlisberger had his six-game suspension reduced to four last week.

The final verdict: Ben Roethlisberger is suspended four games.

What a crock.

Steelers fans shouldn’t complain. NFL commissioner Roger Goodell originally ruled six games, with a possible reduction to four if Roethlisberger showed exemplary behavior. Ben did, so Goodell kept his part of the bargain. A deal’s a deal.

But so much has happened since that deal was made.

Rey Maualuga of Cincinnati: Drunk driving, no suspension. Shaun Rogers of Cleveland: Gun in an airport, no suspension. Vince Young of Tennessee: Videotaped fighting in a strip club, no suspension. Charges, convictions, evidence — no suspensions.

Compounding matters further, the legendary Brett Favre reportedly sent extremely improper texts to Jenn Sterger of the Versus network. Both were employed by the New York Jets at the time. The NFL would not confirm or deny that it’s investigating. Here’s betting it’s not.

Don’t forget, Roethlisberger was never charged with anything. Not enough evidence. Is Ben a victim? He was wrongly accused, that’s for sure.

Given Roethlisberger’s admittedly poor judgment, an avalanche of bad PR and the (intentional?) vagaries of the NFL’s personal conduct policy, the idea of a suspension is not absurd. But six games? Six games when those convicted miss zero action?

Arbitrary. Capricious. Unfair.

Goodell saw a chance to make an example of a superstar and took full advantage — not that Maualuga, Rogers and Young were scared straight. Goodell also saw a chance to make an example of a white superstar.

Of the 18 players suspended by the NFL this year, 16 (89 percent) are black. Some might racially profile. Others might note that the majority (approximately 65 percent) of the NFL is black, so the majority of those suspended should, logically, be black. Quite a difference between 89 percent and 65 percent, though.

But there’s no denying that the whole world was watching after Milledgeville, especially after the district attorney in charge of the case basically proclaimed Roethlisberger guilty despite having neither the evidence or guts to prosecute. Had Goodell been lenient, the NFL’s black majority might have been upset. Same with black special interest groups. Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton might have shown up on Goodell’s doorstep.
Advertisement

So Goodell overreacted. Can’t say I blame him.

Roethlisberger can’t complain, not too loud, anyway. More bad PR. But those on the inside know Ben is seething at the inequity.

He’s probably seething at Terry Bradshaw, too. In the same recent interview where Bradshaw said, “I wish I didn’t have to play for Pittsburgh,” the former Steelers quarterback said, “Going to bars — treating women like that, oh my God. I pray they don’t cut (his suspension) to four games. I hope they leave it at six.”

This is the same Terry Bradshaw who once wrote, in his own biography, “I had separated myself from God. I lived only for Terry Bradshaw, not for God. I tried to be one of the boys and went to every honky-tonk I could find and chased women and behaved in a way that was totally alien to anything I had ever known before.”

Apparently second chances are only good for Bradshaw, not Roethlisberger.

A vocal minority of Yinzer Nation — a lobby which is either getting quieter or diminishing in number, maybe both — still spews outrage over Ben’s alleged misogyny, demands further suspension and wishes the Steelers had traded Roethlisberger, or cut him, or hit him in the head with a hammer.

Understand this: As of Friday, those decisions have all been made. Roethlisberger wasn’t charged. The length of his suspension has been finalized. He’s still the Steelers’ franchise quarterback. Except for the delayed reaction of a few zealots, this is over.

aggiebones
09-08-2010, 12:42 AM
I agree with most of this.

Bradshaw needs to read his own autobio.

sd steel
09-08-2010, 12:44 AM
If I hadn't seen a picture of Crash I would guess that he is Mark Madden, and I am one of the vocal minority of yinzer nation.

But seriously I can't see how the players union is allowing the suspension. Looks like some sort of double standard. Why isn't anyone fighting it or addressing it?

Crash
09-08-2010, 01:03 AM
Ben refused NFLPA representation per his right, as anyone who reads up on this would know.

But, NFLPA boss Demaurice Smith was against the suspension, and Goodell's lone wolf mentality in issuing it.

I think the Rooney's told Ben, take what he gives you, or you are gone.

But that doesn't mean, that Ben can't be pissed off about Goodell letting all these other guys off.

Of course it's a double standard, the uncharged white guy is sitting.

BURGH86STEEL
09-08-2010, 07:24 AM
What's done is done. Crying about it ain't gonna change a thing. Comparing it to other situations ain't gonna change a thing either. People need to move on.

Steelers>NFL
09-08-2010, 07:48 AM
What's done is done. Crying about it ain't gonna change a thing. Comparing it to other situations ain't gonna change a thing either. People need to move on.
EXACTLY!!! People still crying months after the punishment was delivered.
I refuse to be part of the arguments of why, didn't etc... It is what it is.

phillyesq
09-08-2010, 08:01 AM
He’s probably seething at Terry Bradshaw, too. In the same recent interview where Bradshaw said, “I wish I didn’t have to play for Pittsburgh,”

This quote was taken way out of context. He said that he was eternally grateful for his time in Pittsburgh, and when speaking to a Louisiana crowd, he said he wished he'd won some SBs down there.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/print/article/20100902/SPORTS0405/9020319/Roy-Lang-III-Terry-Bradshaw-says-Drew-Brees-exception-in-diva-filled-NFL

feltdizz
09-08-2010, 09:33 AM
EXACTLY!!! People still crying months after the punishment was delivered.
I refuse to be part of the arguments of why, didn't etc... It is what it is.

It seems like Ben is the only one who has moved on...

Oviedo
09-08-2010, 09:50 AM
Possibly the first intelligent, worthwhile thing that Madden has ever done.

Miracles do happen. Perhaps Dixon can really lead us to four wins.

proudpittsburgher
09-08-2010, 10:25 AM
Possibly the first intelligent, worthwhile thing that Madden has ever done.

Miracles do happen. Perhaps Dixon can really lead us to four wins.

I agree completely. I usually hate Madden and his drivel, but this one was pretty much spot on and very, um, crash-like in his argument. :) This is something that we are all going to move on from five games into the season. It's not worth rehashing whether we feel the suspension is justified or not . . . it only makes threads which should only be 1 page turn into 4 page back and forths (See: Who will be the QB when Ben's suspension is over?)

Crash
09-08-2010, 10:27 AM
He’s probably seething at Terry Bradshaw, too. In the same recent interview where Bradshaw said, “I wish I didn’t have to play for Pittsburgh,”

This quote was taken way out of context. He said that he was eternally grateful for his time in Pittsburgh, and when speaking to a Louisiana crowd, he said he wished he'd won some SBs down there.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/print/article/20100902/SPORTS0405/9020319/Roy-Lang-III-Terry-Bradshaw-says-Drew-Brees-exception-in-diva-filled-NFL

He said if he could do it all over again, he wouldn't play for the Steelers.

Unlike Jack Lambert at his HOF speech.

ANPSTEEL
09-08-2010, 10:55 AM
Madden writing a piece I agree with???

Irrespective of any opinion on Ben's behavior- the application of the policy is certainly Arbitrary and Capricious.

NJ-STEELER
09-08-2010, 10:57 AM
mortenson last night on the "insiders" show mentioned

"don't forget a lot of players in the league were waiting to see how long Ben's suspension would be".

thanks Rog for giving in to racial pressure

feltdizz
09-08-2010, 12:11 PM

"don't forget a lot of players in the league were waiting to see how long Ben's suspension would be".

he is a racist.. a self hater. A racist reversed...

phillyesq
09-08-2010, 12:18 PM

He said if he could do it all over again, he wouldn't play for the Steelers.

Unlike Jack Lambert at his HOF speech.

Again, consider the full context of the speech.

I think the rest of Madden's article is pretty much spot-on, but it could have stood on its own without out-of-context quotes.

proudpittsburgher
09-08-2010, 12:30 PM
Unless I missed that TB was retiring from the Fox booth, I have to say I am suprised he is this vocal with some of the stuff he has said about some of the current players.

Crash
09-08-2010, 12:37 PM
He's always been a vocal idiot. Even in his playing days.

Sugar
09-08-2010, 01:03 PM
I've said it before, but after his time in the league is done. When the Goodell's, Rooney's, etc of the world no longer hold power over his career or paycheck, there's a heck of a tell-all book waiting for Benjamin to write.

Crash
09-08-2010, 01:09 PM
He'll write his auto, he won't slam teammates except for two noticeable exceptions.

RuthlessBurgher
09-08-2010, 01:26 PM
He'll write his auto, he won't slam teammates except for two noticeable exceptions.

Sean Mahan and Justin Hartwig? :P

grotonsteel
09-08-2010, 01:30 PM

:lol:

I think it is safe to say Goodell and ARII.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
09-08-2010, 01:52 PM

He did say teammates.

We all know that Hines is one that Crash is referring to....not sure who the other is.

RuthlessBurgher
09-08-2010, 02:11 PM

He did say teammates.

We all know that Hines is one that Crash is referring to....not sure who the other is.

http://multimedia.heraldinteractive.com/images/8f85196b1f_Ward_12022009.jpg http://thebiglead.fantasysportsven.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Ben-Roethlisberger-Jereome-Bettis-Super-Bowl-XL.jpg

You can tell how much he hates these guys. :wink:

NJ-STEELER
09-08-2010, 08:27 PM
makes you wonder where all the "bad teammate" stuff comes from in the first palce

chuckwon okobi??

Crash
09-08-2010, 08:32 PM
It's not Okobi. It's Ward and his little mouthpiece Mike Logan.

eniparadoxgma
09-08-2010, 08:57 PM
makes you wonder where all the "bad teammate" stuff comes from in the first palce

chuckwon okobi??

hahaha I was trying to remember his name lately. I still don't know who was worse at C, him or Mahan.

NJ-STEELER
09-09-2010, 12:20 AM

he is a racist.. a self hater. A racist reversed...

how many times do insiders like him have to say it (along with players like chad johnson, dhani jones coming out and expressing it) for you to believe it

grotonsteel
09-09-2010, 09:37 AM
chuckwon okobi??

Okobi did a hip-hop video..i think he uploaded on his myspace account. I thought it was a pretty good RAP.

Maybe he has become a Hip-Hop artist? He was better at that than playing Center.

proudpittsburgher
09-09-2010, 10:03 AM

Yes, but this was some pretty nasty, bitter stuff. Just sounded a bit worse than just presenting your opinion.

Captain Lemming
09-10-2010, 02:26 AM

Gotta agree Crash, but I didnt know MADDEN was a former player :lol:

stlrz d
09-10-2010, 08:41 AM

Scroll up and look at the comment before that one. He's referring to Bradshaw.

Captain Lemming
09-10-2010, 10:32 AM
[quote=Crash]He's always been a vocal idiot. Even in his playing days.

Scroll up and look at the comment before that one. He's referring to Bradshaw.[/quote:2016d19n]

Wow thanks D. Crash and Madden sound like clones and I REALLY thought Crash did a 180 and was bashing the very opinion he promotes the most. REALLY? :lol:

Must I actually explain what I was doing? Do these LOL smiley things even give you a clue?

You crack me up man. :lol: