PDA

View Full Version : Who will be the QB when Ben's suspension is over?

SteelCrazy
09-07-2010, 05:07 PM
Tomlin said on Sirius today that he wasn't going to back himself into a corner and leave it open. I dont think for one minute that he is crazy enough to keep Dixon as the starter when Ben comes back, even if Dixon has a perfect passer rating and throws for 14 TD's. But Tomlin has made some decisions before that has left me scratching the old noggin....

What do you guys think he will do and what do you think he should do given Dixon does very very well?

SteelCrazy
09-07-2010, 05:08 PM
here is some of what Tomlin said,

Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin named third year quarterback Dennis Dixon the starter for the Steelers week one game against the Atlanta Falcons. When asked who the starter would be for Pittsburgh’s fifth game, Tomlin was less divulgent.

“I’m going to dodge that one and not artfully,” Tomlin told Sirius NFL Radio when asked about Roethlisberger’s place as the starter.

“I’m not going to back myself in corner.”

When Tomlin announced Dixon would be the starter for the season opener, he also said that Dixon would have the opportunity to start more games if he played well. However, the assumption was that two-time Superbowl winner and former pro-bowler Ben Roethlisberger would automatically be awarded “top dog” status, so to speak, when he returned to the team after his four game suspension. Tomlin’s coy response has left room for doubt.

Dixon, who has started just one game in his career, was slated to be the primary back-up behind Byron Leftwich during the weeks of Roethlisberger’s suspension, but Leftwich’s pre-season knee injury gave Dixon the opportunity to start.

Long-time Steelers quarterback Charlie Batch is also available, but Mike Tomlin said that Batch was at the bottom of the “pecking order.”

“There was a specific pecking order in camp, and Charlie [Batch's] durability or lack of durability added into it,” Tomlin said. “This is a guy who’s been on IR [injured reserve] a little bit the past couple years, but he also requires very few snaps to be prepared to play football at an acceptable level.”

Read more: http://www.footballnewsnow.com/2010/who ... z0ysdO1vnD (http://www.footballnewsnow.com/2010/who-will-start-for-the-steelers-after-bens-suspension/#ixzz0ysdO1vnD)

siss
09-07-2010, 05:11 PM
I would bet the first born that even IF Dennis Dixon averages a perfect passer rating, 10 TDs and a 80% pass completion rating, he is NOT beating out our 102 million dollar 2X winning QB.

Crash
09-07-2010, 05:24 PM
Tomlin's background wouldn't shock me if he did it. It would be stupid, but not shocking.

cruzer8
09-07-2010, 05:26 PM
Ben. Hope that helps.

SteelHoss
09-07-2010, 05:30 PM
I'm thinking that Coach T is just stirring the pot a little to juice Dixon, Ben and the qbs in waiting....Lefty and Charlie. It would be silly to not start Ben when he comes back.

BradshawsHairdresser
09-07-2010, 05:32 PM
This scenario was brought up in another thread:
Suppose Dixon goes 4-0, throws 8 tds and no interceptions.

I don't think that's likely to happen. But if it did, there would be some big-time controversy, and I would not be surprised if Tomlin stayed with the "hot hand" at QB.

sd steel
09-07-2010, 05:35 PM
I hope Dixon can get us to 2 and 2, I am not really expecting much from him.

Now if he were able to go 4-0, and he was the major reason for our success, with successful passing and was able to use his legs, and picked up locker room support, I would see what some of the veterans thought and probably go in that direction.

It would keep the PR nightmare of Big Ben from affecting the season. Then open the QB competition next season.

But unless Dixon plays lights out, Ben will be the starter game 5.

cruzer8
09-07-2010, 05:36 PM

I don't think that's likely to happen. But if it did, there would be some big-time controversy, and I would not be surprised if Tomlin stayed with the "hot hand" at QB.

1) That's not going to happen

and

B) Even if it did you don't keep your franchise QB on the bench.

cruzer8
09-07-2010, 05:37 PM
I hope Dixon can get us to 2 and 2, I am not really expecting much from him.

Now if he were able to go 4-0, and he was the major reason for our success, with successful passing and was able to use his legs, and picked up locker room support, I would see what some of the veterans thought and probably go in that direction.

It would keep the PR nightmare of Big Ben from affecting the season. Then open the QB competition next season.
But unless Dixon plays lights out, Ben will be the starter game 5.

Keep dreaming.

hawaiiansteel
09-07-2010, 05:41 PM
Ben. Hope that helps.

you took the words right out of my mouth...Ben has already won 2 Super Bowls, franchise QBs like him don't exactly grow on trees.

http://pigskinlovinglady.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/roethlisberger_beard.jpg

phillyesq
09-07-2010, 05:43 PM
Ben. No further explanation needed.

papillon
09-07-2010, 05:56 PM
Dennis Dixon isn't going to light up the scoreboard and the offense isn't going to become an unstoppable force. I hope the Steelers can win one game while Ben is out and then go 8-4 with Ben for a 9-7 record and a shot at the playoffs. Expecting Dixon to play like Ben did in his rookie year is far fetched.

Pray for two wins, hope for one win and don't think about losing them all.

Ben will be the quarterback when the suspension is over and Steeler fans everywhere will rejoice.

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
09-07-2010, 06:02 PM
If Dennis Dixon averages a perfect passer rating, 10 TDs and a 80% pass completion rating, then we trade him to Arizona for Larry Fitzgerald.

:P :tt2 :tt1

Sugar
09-07-2010, 06:05 PM
Dennis Dixon isn't going to light up the scoreboard and the offense isn't going to become an unstoppable force. I hope the Steelers can win one game while Ben is out and then go 8-4 with Ben for a 9-7 record and a shot at the playoffs. Expecting Dixon to play like Ben did in his rookie year is far fetched.

Pray for two wins, hope for one win and don't think about losing them all.

Ben will be the quarterback when the suspension is over and Steeler fans everywhere will rejoice.

Pappy

This = $$

Crash
09-07-2010, 06:14 PM
If Dennis Dixon averages a perfect passer rating, 10 TDs and a 80% pass completion rating, then we trade him to Arizona for Larry Fitzgerald.

Why? So we can have Larry get served with a PFA in Pittsburgh too?

feltdizz
09-07-2010, 06:21 PM
When has our offense been an unstoppable force? Sure, we had the potential to be unstoppable the last few years but we always had mental breakdowns or bad OL play....

I'm a little concerned with how bad people think we will be without Ben. In the last 5 years we haven't seen a huge drop off in efficiency because we adjusted our game plan. You guys keep talking like we are going to call the game like Ben is playing amd just throw Dixon in the fire.

We will be conservative, roll Dixon out a ton and if he doesn't see the WR he will tuck and run for a first down.

cruzer8
09-07-2010, 06:23 PM
When has our offense been an unstoppable force? Sure, we had the potential to be unstoppable the last few years but we always had mental breakdowns or bad OL play....

I'm a little concerned with how bad people think we will be without Ben. In the last 5 years we haven't seen a huge drop off in efficiency because we adjusted our game plan. You guys keep talking like we are going to call the game like Ben is playing amd just throw Dixon in the fire.

We will be conservative, roll Dixon out a ton and if he doesn't see the WR he will tuck and run for a first down.

I highly doubt we will see that. If DD rolls out he'll be doing that on his own, not because it's by design.

sentinel33
09-07-2010, 06:30 PM
i agree with ruthlessburger.

Do you think the Rooneys are gonna pay Ben that money to sit the bench?
No.
Dixon can probably do well enough that the team wins a couple of games(atlanta,tampa) , but it won't be because of his outstanding play. He's not quite there yet. We'll see glimpses of great play but he won't be consistent. The defense should be very close to the '08 defense that was one of the best there has ever been. And it will be the defense that will get the team to .500 when Ben comes back.
Dixon will need another year to get to startying qb caliber and, like ruthless said, we trade that kid for a top 100 draft pick or a quality starter.
Ben has always been one of the best qb's in the league. Even as a Rookie. This guy loves the game and he is gonna seriously light teams up this year.
He'll have more time to throw with Pouncey at center(upgrade) and Adams at RG(upgrade). Once the line gets comfortable in the run blocking this offense will take off. The team is nicely loaded at RB and WR. I think the rookies are gonna surprise alot of people(Sanders and Brown). They will be nice compliments to Ward Wallace and Miller.
The real season starts with game 5. I'm holding my breath 'til then.
Ben's the QB. That's it.

Crash
09-07-2010, 06:34 PM
No.

They can still trade him, no?

feltdizz
09-07-2010, 06:43 PM
There is no reason to compare Dixon to Ben. I don't care how we get the win as long as we get it. There were games Ben threw the ball 15 and 17 times and we won with ease.

I have no idea why people keep putting a Ben blanket on Dixon. He isn't a threat to take his job. Maybe some people are keeping the expectations low to keep from being disappointed but there is no reason for me to be pessimistic. I expect good things and if he plays bad... Go with Batch.

sentinel33
09-07-2010, 06:49 PM
Why would you tade a proven commodity that is so hard to find.
Now if the boy screws up again than you throw out the trash. I for one feel like he has turned the corner. He's getting good advice from Hodge and Cowher and not people like Bradshaw. It's sad that Bradshaw made the issue personal and made those remarks about the 6 game suspension etc. That also proves to me that Ben is gettin things in order. Who you get advice from says alot about you as a person.

BradshawsHairdresser
09-07-2010, 06:54 PM

1) That's not going to happen

and

B) Even if it did you don't keep your franchise QB on the bench.

Agreed.

But...

They can still trade him, no?

They could chose to unload their "franchise QB" and his franchise salary. Lots of Steelers' fans might not agree with such a move, but the team could decide to do so
anyway.

Snatch98
09-07-2010, 07:01 PM
Ben and this didn't need to be asked.

sentinel33
09-07-2010, 07:05 PM
That's true but Roethlisberger is worth the contract. It's not like he doesnt deliver.
What irks me is that Tomlin had an opportunity to back Ben and simply say that Ben is the QB. But instead he created drama. If Ben came back and stunk up the joint maybe you yank him and get him straight. It's crazy to me how that organization hasnt backed him up at all. i mean he doesnt get voted captain. i get it. but i think we are passed the point of sending the guy messages. Tomlin not backing him was weak.
You know how it goes- the popular kid gets voted prom king and class president and leads his sports teams to state championships while getting a full ride at a prestigious school. He grabs the keys to Dads porshe and goes to a party and gets lit up and wrecks the porche.
thats ben on not as grand a scale. People screw up. it's if they learn from it that really denotes true character. It amazes me how so many people have turned there back on him.

pfelix73
09-07-2010, 07:08 PM
Answer is Ben. Nuff said....

:wft Tomlin.

:tt1

sd steel
09-07-2010, 07:21 PM
That's true but Roethlisberger is worth the contract. It's not like he doesnt deliver.
What irks me is that Tomlin had an opportunity to back Ben and simply say that Ben is the QB. But instead he created drama. If Ben came back and stunk up the joint maybe you yank him and get him straight. It's crazy to me how that organization hasnt backed him up at all. i mean he doesnt get voted captain. i get it. but i think we are passed the point of sending the guy messages. Tomlin not backing him was weak.
You know how it goes- the popular kid gets voted prom king and class president and leads his sports teams to state championships while getting a full ride at a prestigious school. He grabs the keys to Dads porshe and goes to a party and gets lit up and wrecks the porche.
thats ben on not as grand a scale. People screw up. it's if they learn from it that really denotes true character. It amazes me how so many people have turned there back on him.

Getting drunk and wrecking the porshe doesn't exactly equal getting drunk and being accused of rape one year and sexual assault the next. Also the fact that he came out last year after the McNulty thing and apologized to his team and the fans and said he was innocent and he would keep his nose clean, only to have something similar happen a year later equates complete idiocy.

proudpittsburgher
09-07-2010, 07:26 PM
Seriously, how does this kind of stuff even get rationalized in people's heads?

Ben, next question.

sentinel33
09-07-2010, 07:40 PM
sd steel

No they arent the same. thats why its a metaphor. Furthermore its pretty obvious what happened to Ben. In Vegas he was being set up by that Mcnulty wench. In Georgia the girl was looking for it(DTF). Sadly Ben was too ignorant, not idiotic, to recognize what people were doing to him. His immaturity and ignorance got him into those situations. this is a learning experience if i ever saw one. At 27 yrs. old and with all the success that guy had I may have done the same thing. People make it seem like he commited Genocide or something. I'm by no means condoneing his actions. He deserved what he got. Steelers fans need to learn to forgive.

pfelix73
09-07-2010, 07:48 PM
Personally- I don't think he deserved a 4 game suspension.

:tt1

sentinel33
09-07-2010, 07:58 PM
he may not have deserved it but he sure as helln needed it. He was a loose cannon. He was so close to loseing it all.

Crash
09-07-2010, 08:08 PM
Hey sd, don't you find it odd, that Miss DTF's "witnesses" didn't feel compelled to testify at the hearing for Officer Barravecchio?

Certainly you would agree, that if he did what her friends claimed he did (One witness basically accused him of kidnapping her) they would jumped on the next airplane to Pittsburgh and let him have it, no?

Crash
09-07-2010, 08:09 PM
Btw, Tomlin's words totally taken out of context in print when you hear the tape on ESPN.

feltdizz
09-07-2010, 08:43 PM
Btw, Tomlin's words totally taken out of context in print when you hear the tape on ESPN.

Everyone knows who's team this is....

It could be interesting if Dixon has a Madden Video highlight reel.

eniparadoxgma
09-07-2010, 08:58 PM
Batch. Next question.

Captain Lemming
09-07-2010, 09:18 PM
Batch. Next question.
:Clap :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Captain Lemming
09-07-2010, 09:29 PM
This is SOOO silly.

Its Bens team regardless.

Competition is good. I think Tomlin is just adding a log to Bens competitive fire. It is funny how Ben was struggling when Lefty came in and tore it up. Despite the injury Ben was better afterward, lead us to the SB.

I hope Dixon excels big time. When Ben gets back we will see his best.

papillon
09-07-2010, 10:03 PM

Never and that's the point, why even ask who the quarterback will be when one of the top 5 quarterbacks returns to the lineup? Even if Dixon made the offense an unstoppable force Ben would be inserted into the lineup.

Felt, this offense is going to struggle to points on the board. Third and anything greater than 6 is going to feel like 3rd and 20 with Dixon at quarterback. He may convert a few with his feet, but by and large he is not going to be successful on 3rd and 6, 7, 8, etc. Unless Mendenhall has monster games Dixon will be in the unenviable position of having to throw for first downs and that is going to be difficult for him to convert.

If the offense can move the ball on the ground and allow Dixon to manage the game the Steelers will be fine, but if they can't get the running game going Dixon won't vbe able to win the game, IMHO. He needs to be a caretaker, not a risk taker.

Pappy

stlrz d
09-07-2010, 10:05 PM
Ben.

And he's not going to be traded either. The sooner people come to terms with that the sooner we can move on.

MCHammer
09-07-2010, 10:42 PM
I'm thinking that Coach T is just stirring the pot a little to juice Dixon, Ben and the qbs in waiting....Lefty and Charlie. It would be silly to not start Ben when he comes back.

That is the only rational explanation. What troubles me is the obliviousness of it all. This team needs to focus. Tomlin has mishandled the qb situation IMO since camp started. Now, when we finally ----- finally ----- had clarity, and were for better or worse going with Dixon he throws this BS into the mix.

This is unprofessional and surrounding the team with media distractions and controversy. it is an unforced error and stupid anyway you slice it.

Iron Shiek
09-07-2010, 10:44 PM

Never and that's the point, why even ask who the quarterback will be when one of the top 5 quarterbacks returns to the lineup? Even if Dixon made the offense an unstoppable force Ben would be inserted into the lineup.

Felt, this offense is going to struggle to points on the board. Third and anything greater than 6 is going to feel like 3rd and 20 with Dixon at quarterback. He may convert a few with his feet, but by and large he is not going to be successful on 3rd and 6, 7, 8, etc. Unless Mendenhall has monster games Dixon will be in the unenviable position of having to throw for first downs and that is going to be difficult for him to convert.

If the offense can move the ball on the ground and allow Dixon to manage the game the Steelers will be fine, but if they can't get the running game going Dixon won't vbe able to win the game, IMHO. He needs to be a caretaker, not a risk taker.

Pappy

Which is why they are going to have to rely HEAVILY on the defense to win games. Back to the old defense and running the ball. If Dixon can be moderately successful on those 3rd and long situations you speak of, we could get through this suspension. But THATS the million dollar question in my mind. Not whether Ben is going to get his job back...purely laughable (cue the picture of the "Browns...Playoffs?? HAHA")

papillon
09-07-2010, 10:50 PM

Pappy

Which is why they are going to have to rely HEAVILY on the defense to win games. Back to the old defense and running the ball. If Dixon can be moderately successful on those 3rd and long situations you speak of, we could get through this suspension. But THATS the million dollar question in my mind. Not whether Ben is going to get his job back...purely laughable (cue the picture of the "Browns...Playoffs?? HAHA")

Problem is I don't think the defense is going to perform at a level sufficient enough to enable Dixon to manage games, he's going to have win some games using the pass and I don't feel confident that he can do that. I'd love to be wrong on this one and gets it done; I just don't think he's there yet.

Pappy

SteelCrazy
09-07-2010, 11:01 PM
Ben is the teams QB and the backbone of the Steelers. If he doesn't get the reins when he returns I will be calling for Tomlins head............Just wanted to make it clear that I am not for Dixon at QB when Ben returns.

stlrz d
09-07-2010, 11:06 PM
Ben is the teams QB and the backbone of the Steelers. If he doesn't get the reins when he returns I will be calling for Tomlins head............Just wanted to make it clear that I am not for Dixon at QB when Ben returns.

Pssst...you're not going to have to call for Tomlin's head. ;)

fordfixer
09-07-2010, 11:28 PM

No.
Dixon can probably do well enough that the team wins a couple of games(atlanta,tampa) , but it won't be because of his outstanding play. He's not quite there yet. We'll see glimpses of great play but he won't be consistent. The defense should be very close to the '08 defense that was one of the best there has ever been. And it will be the defense that will get the team to .500 when Ben comes back.
Dixon will need another year to get to startying qb caliber and, like ruthless said, we trade that kid for a top 100 draft pick or a quality starter.
Ben has always been one of the best qb's in the league. Even as a Rookie. This guy loves the game and he is gonna seriously light teams up this year.
He'll have more time to throw with Pouncey at center(upgrade) and Adams at RG(upgrade). Once the line gets comfortable in the run blocking this offense will take off. The team is nicely loaded at RB and WR. I think the rookies are gonna surprise alot of people(Sanders and Brown). They will be nice compliments to Ward Wallace and Miller.
Ben's the QB. That's it.

sentinel I see that you have been a member here for awhile, but just started posting a few day's ago so, I think there is one thing you need to know, Never ever use the phrase "i agree with ruthlessburger". It's kinda like feeding a stray dog, if you know what I mean. :lol: :lol:

And welcome to the Planet :tt1 :tt1

Ben starts game 5 :tt1

sd steel
09-07-2010, 11:32 PM
Hey sd, don't you find it odd, that Miss DTF's "witnesses" didn't feel compelled to testify at the hearing for Officer Barravecchio?

Certainly you would agree, that if he did what her friends claimed he did (One witness basically accused him of kidnapping her) they would jumped on the next airplane to Pittsburgh and let him have it, no?

Or he could have paid everybody off.

MCHammer
09-07-2010, 11:43 PM
Or they could care less, were unaware, or otherwise not interested in testifying at an administrative hearing regarding some cop from Coraopolis when they just want to get on with there lives.

Crash
09-07-2010, 11:45 PM

Or he could have paid everybody off.

Yeah that's it. :Blah

No need to pay everyone off when the evidence doesn't support the accusation.

Unlike The Great Ray Lewis.

stlrz d
09-07-2010, 11:48 PM
They were all lying all along. Anyone who took the time to read all the reports and listen to all of the witness statements could tell that while at the same time visualizing the Georgia DA doing one of these: http://dangerous-dads.co.uk/SMF/Smileys/classic/facepalm_anim_test-03.gif

Crash
09-07-2010, 11:51 PM
Or they could care less, were unaware, or otherwise not interested in testifying at an administrative hearing regarding some cop from Coraopolis when they just want to get on with there lives.

Or they were lying and don't want to face perjury charges.

I'm sorry but if I claimed to have seen one of my friends basically being kidnapped by a police officer? I'm singing like a canary.

MCHammer
09-08-2010, 12:00 AM
Well I'm glad you cracked the code. I'm thinking you have a theory and are grasping at pieces that seem to fit. My sense is that whatever happened in GA that night, the witnesses are likely not that interested in flying to Pittsburgh to testify before a borough board over some cop's job and I'm not even sure perjury is an issue in what amounts to a administrative hearing held by local elected officials, but I could be wrong.

If you are so into this, you could contact Santicolla for comment.

Crash
09-08-2010, 01:09 AM
Seem to fit? No, they fit. They accused Ben of raping their friend. They accused Ben's big mean bodyguard of "dragging her" down the hallway so she could be raped.

And now you are telling me they don't care enough? Spare me.

This was BS from the start. Ben and Miss DTF stopped doing what they were doing, Ben went and sat down and talked with another girl, and that pissed her and her friends off.

One of whom was thrown out of the VIP room for calling him a rapist earlier in the night.

This was nothing but payback to embarrass him, and it worked.

And Goodell only made it worse by suspending him.

Perjury may not be an issue, but Ben can sue them when they admit they lied, no?

frankthetank1
09-08-2010, 07:56 AM
who cares what ben may have or may have not done? its old news and he is suspended for four games. nothing is going to change that. if he really did rape that whore than why didnt they charge him? you know the GA DA was dying to charge ben.

these guys are football players not priests. ben probably wasnt being a gentlemen but he isnt a raper either. who cares though? if ben isnt your relative or friend what difference does it make? as long as any steeler isnt killing dogs or commiting any other violent crimes i could careless what they do in their personal lives. as long as they win games they can do whatever off the field.

ramblinjim
09-08-2010, 08:33 AM
I don't know why I find it amusing that this thread has gone on for so long...
:HeadBanger

MCHammer
09-08-2010, 08:41 AM
Perjury may not be an issue, but Ben can sue them when they admit they lied, no?

In theory, yes. But even assuming he could convince a jury they lied you'd have the public spectacle of a trial with testimony unfriendly to Ben's reputation. I doubt it is in his interest to pursue that and the NFL probably would frown upon it. It could also be against the terms of any settlement Ben may or may not have signed with the lady/ies in question.

RuthlessBurgher
09-08-2010, 09:52 AM

No.
Ben's the QB. That's it.

sentinel I see that you have been a member here for awhile, but just started posting a few day's ago so, I think there is one thing you need to know, Never ever use the phrase "i agree with ruthlessburger". It's kinda like feeding a stray dog, if you know what I mean. :lol: :lol:

I think sentinel should just put "i agree with ruthlessburger" in big, bold letters as his sig. Instant respect from all. :mrgreen:

fordfixer
09-08-2010, 08:33 PM

No.
Ben's the QB. That's it.

I think sentinel should just put "i agree with ruthlessburger" in big, bold letters as his sig. Instant respect from all Browns fans both of them :mrgreen:

Fixed that for you :lol:

Dee Dub
09-09-2010, 03:00 PM

:P :tt2 :tt1

Or wait till after the season and trade him for a number 1 and then draft these guys...

Patrick Peterson CB LSU
Rahim Moore S UCLA

:wink: