PDA

View Full Version : Al Woods Signed To Steelers Practice

calmkiller
09-07-2010, 03:50 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2010/09/so ... ice-squad/ (http://www.steelersdepot.com/2010/09/sources-al-woods-signed-to-steelers-practice-squad/)

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/inde ... um=twitter (http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports-town/steelers/104835-ed-steelers-swap-rookies-on-practice-squad?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter)

A league source reports that the Steelers have signed former New Orleans Saints fourth round defensive tackle Al Woods to their practice squad. Ed Bouchette is reporting that the Steelers release Doug Worthington to make room for Woods.

The Steelers are making a change to their practice squad today. They are signing rookie defensive tackle Al Woods and releasing rookie defensive end Doug Worthington, their seventh-round pick.

Woods was a fourth-round draft choice of the New Orleans Saints from LSU, the 123rd pick in the draft. The Saints traded away a sixth-round pick and their fourth-rounder to Arizona to move up seven spots in the fourth round to take him.

Hes listed as 6-4, 314.

I would have rather they cut Steve Mclendon that Worthington. He was out all preseason with a knew injury. Worthington had potential. I haven't seen anything from Mclendon.

Oviedo
09-07-2010, 03:53 PM
Wow!!! That is very surprising. I have heard though that the Steelers are very high on McLendon because of his ability to play NT.

fezziwig
09-07-2010, 03:57 PM
I'm surious on why some teams release players but other teams see the talent in them ? I know there is always going to be guys that just don't fit here or there but, I wonder how they feel confident to go after some players that couldn't cut it with some other team ? To me, that would be stressful to make those choices.

calmkiller
09-07-2010, 03:57 PM
http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/20 ... n_101.html (http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2010/09/new_orleans_saints_coach_sean_101.html)

New Orleans Saints Coach Sean Payton discusses rookie Al Woods' release

One interesting omission from the New Orleans Saints' practice squad was former LSU defensive tackle Al Woods, who clearly didn't live up to expectations after the Saints traded up to draft him in the fourth round this year.
al_woods_mug.jpgAl Woods

"You're hopeful for all your draft picks," Coach Sean Payton said. "I think the mistake is maybe hanging on to them or not recognizing some of the deficiencies and all of a sudden you go two or three years into that. He did some things on a positive note that were encouraging and yet ultimately we didn't feel confident enough with where he was at right now and we went a different direction. We've tried to hold true and really evaluate the players once they get here and he was an example of that."

RuthlessBurgher
09-07-2010, 04:03 PM
I'm surious on why some teams release players but other teams see the talent in them ? I know there is always going to be guys that just don't fit here or there but, I wonder how they feel confident to go after some players that couldn't cut it with some other team ? To me, that would be stressful to make those choices.

Certain players fit better into certain systems than others. Our 3-4 and the Saints' 4-3 are profoundly different in terms of what we ask the d-lineman to do. Where Woods may have failed in their D, he might flourish in our D. Who knows...I'd imagine that we had a reasonably high draft grade on Woods (perhaps we would have taken him in the 5th round instead of Chris Scott, Crezdon Butler, or Stevenson Sylvester), and had a late round grade on Worthington.

calmkiller
09-07-2010, 04:11 PM

Certain players fit better into certain systems than others. Our 3-4 and the Saints' 4-3 are profoundly different in terms of what we ask the d-lineman to do. Where Woods may have failed in their D, he might flourish in our D. Who knows...I'd imagine that we had a reasonably high draft grade on Woods (perhaps we would have taken him in the 5th round instead of Chris Scott, Crezdon Butler, or Stevenson Sylvester), and had a late round grade on Worthington.

Yea but is a 5th round grade that much better than a 7th round grade? I feel once you are at that point its all hit or miss.

phillyesq
09-07-2010, 04:14 PM
I would have rather they cut Steve Mclendon that Worthington. He was out all preseason with a knew injury. Worthington had potential. I haven't seen anything from Mclendon.

:Agree

Very surprising to see Worthington released from the practice squad. He flashed some potential in the preseason.

The only thing I can think of is that if McLendon plays NT, he is actually needed as a practice body at that position. I remember a few years ago, during the great Jason Capizzi debates, one of the writers explaining that the PS is more about practice bodies than it is about development.

steelblood
09-07-2010, 04:36 PM
I watched LSU a lot last season and watched the d-linemen. Al Woods does not anchor well and is easily washed out. He does have some great size and good athleticism. But, I question his heart. That is never a good thing.

focosteeler
09-07-2010, 04:38 PM
to me seeing how old our d-line is i wouldve kept worthington just as incase they needed some depth at some point during the year.

hawaiiansteel
09-07-2010, 05:30 PM
this is very surprising as the Saints traded up 7 spots in Rd. 4 to draft Al Woods.

http://media.scout.com/media/image/65/655898.jpg

Chadman
09-07-2010, 05:47 PM
Seeing as how the Steelers have 84 WR's on the final 53, Chadman would have dropped Grisham to add Woods.

Woods looked like a decent option coming out of college- can't hurt to take a flyer on him. Worthington lasted until the 7th round, couldn't make the roster & was dropped from the PS- maybe there is something that the Worthington apologists are missing?

hawaiiansteel
09-07-2010, 05:59 PM
this is what it says on the Steelers Facebook page:

The Pittsburgh Steelers - A change in the practice squad. Out is DE Doug Worthington. In is DE Al Woods, who was a No. 4 pick by New Orleans in the 2010 draft. He was projected as a 2nd-3rd round pick, and was considered to have a big upside throughout the pre-draft process. Woods is 6-4, 309, and is better vs the run than as a pass rusher.

http://www.facebook.com/steelers

SteelBucks
09-07-2010, 06:17 PM
. Ed Bouchette is reporting that the Steelers release Doug Worthington to make room for Woods.

Terrible decision in releasing Worthington.

steelblood
09-07-2010, 06:39 PM
Wow!!! That is very surprising. I have heard though that the Steelers are very high on McLendon because of his ability to play NT.

I've read that too, but McClendon is listed at 6'4 280 lbs, so he more of a DE type body.

StarSpangledSteeler
09-07-2010, 07:50 PM
Seeing as how the Steelers have 84 WR's on the final 53, Chadman would have dropped Grisham to add Woods.

Woods looked like a decent option coming out of college- can't hurt to take a flyer on him. Worthington lasted until the 7th round, couldn't make the roster & was dropped from the PS- maybe there is something that the Worthington apologists are missing?

That was my initial thought as well. Then when no one said anything i thought there might be a rule (if not official at least steeler policy) about keeping a certain number of PS players at each position. If there is no restriction, why not cut Summers? It's a whole lot easier to find a running back and they adapt to the playbook much quicker: halfback - run forward. fullback - block the big guy running toward you.

But the bigger point here is the second thing you said. A lot of us bloggers think Worthington is the next Aaron Smith. The coaches appear to have a different opinion/assessment. Perhaps we should consider the possibility that although he has good size, he may not anchor well, or shed blocks well?

MeetJoeGreene
09-07-2010, 09:38 PM

That was my initial thought as well. Then when no one said anything i thought there might be a rule (if not official at least steeler policy) about keeping a certain number of PS players at each position. If there is no restriction, why not cut Summers? It's a whole lot easier to find a running back and they adapt to the playbook much quicker: halfback - run forward. fullback - block the big guy running toward you.

But the bigger point here is the second thing you said. A lot of us bloggers think Worthington is the next Aaron Smith. The coaches appear to have a different opinion/assessment. Perhaps we should consider the possibility that although he has good size, he may not anchor well, or shed blocks well?

I was thinking of summers to or that other TE. (Bright??)

MicroBioSteel
09-07-2010, 10:27 PM
Let's not forget the true purpose of the PRACTICE squad. It's not there to hide players from other teams but rather to help prepare the 53 man roster for the upcoming opponent. Given that Pouncy will be introduced to some serious NT talent in the next few months I believe the signing of Woods to the practice squad is aimed at helping Pouncy prepare for those NT's.

aggiebones
09-08-2010, 01:08 AM
That's probably true Micro.

Plus, he had a good draft grade. He could figure it out like say a Redman. He has more of a ceiling than Worthington maybe. Who knows? We don't get all the real juicy info on these decisions.

Stewie
09-08-2010, 03:04 PM

A quick look into my mind reading cam, and I detect that the majority of those so inclined wear OSU colors. :?