PDA

View Full Version : Confidence in Dixon?

Oviedo
09-07-2010, 03:15 PM
What is your confidence in DD being able to successfully lead this team through four games. On a scale of 1-5 with 1=no confidence and 5=highly confident. I'm in for a "2."

I just think he is going to see eight men in a box and 5 or 6 players coming after him on blitzes every play.

I'm expecting an ugly first four games offensively and I hope for 1 win.

steelblood
09-07-2010, 03:17 PM

I'm very confident he'll make some great plays.

I'm also very confident he'll make some terrible ones.

Relentless7
09-07-2010, 03:19 PM
I'll agree with the 2.

Teams are going to FORCE us to beat them with him throwing the ball. THAT'S what I'm afraid of.

Oviedo
09-07-2010, 03:20 PM
I'll agree with the 2.

Teams are going to FORCE us to beat them with him throwing the ball. THAT'S what I'm afraid of.

I see more INTs than TDs in the first four weeks

PSU_dropout43
09-07-2010, 03:21 PM

Kordell-Stewart-type confidence.

papillon
09-07-2010, 03:28 PM
I'm in for a 2 as well; he's young with very little experience to draw from. My confidence is even lower hearing that the entire playbook is available to him. IMO, they should be treating him exactly as they did Ben in his rookie year, reduce the playbook, put him in situations that aren't 2nd and long or 3rd and long, play defense and field position and look to win the game or have the defense protect the lead.

Pappy

aggiebones
09-07-2010, 03:49 PM
I hate to tell you that he's nowhere near Kordell's level yet.
If he was our QB all year, we would not be in the playoffs. Kordell was involved in us making it to an AFC championship game.
I'm with Steelblood. He'll make a few good plays and some bad ones. Maybe by game 4, the good will outweigh the bad.
I'd give him a 2.5 and hope he gets to a 3.5 by game 4.
More importantly I hope he prevents a total game losing blunder in all 4 games, so maybe we win a couple.

Northern_Blitz
09-07-2010, 03:50 PM
I'm in for a 2 as well; he's young with very little experience to draw from. My confidence is even lower hearing that the entire playbook is available to him. IMO, they should be treating him exactly as they did Ben in his rookie year, reduce the playbook, put him in situations that aren't 2nd and long or 3rd and long, play defense and field position and look to win the game or have the defense protect the lead.

Pappy

My confidence in DD is somewhere around a 3. About the same (maybe a little less) than I would have had for Lefty. I thought Dixon looked better in the PS. He had a bad game in Denver, but then Lefty came in and couldn't even move the ball against the back-ups (who Dixon was dominating). I think we'll win 1 or 2 of the 4 games Ben was out. If we get a bunch of blitzes / 8 man fronts, I hope we run a bunch of WR screens (maybe Brown/Sanders) for easy completions and big RAC to force the secondary to spread out.

Maybe it's just me, but I put 0 confidence in what coaches say in the press about gameplans for upcoming games. This whole playbook thing sounds like typical coach BS to me. Does Ben even have 100% of the playbook open to him on gamedays? Don't we run gameplans that focus on specific plays to exploit a team's weaknesses? I think Ben may have a long list of plays the he can audible to, so maybe he has alot of the play book open to him. I don't think they'll let DD audible much if at all (same as Ben's first couple years).

Relentless7
09-07-2010, 03:54 PM

Pappy

My confidence in DD is somewhere around a 3. About the same (maybe a little less) than I would have had for Lefty. I thought Dixon looked better in the PS. He had a bad game in Denver, but then Lefty came in and couldn't even move the ball against the back-ups (who Dixon was dominating). I think we'll win 1 or 2 of the 4 games Ben was out. If we get a bunch of blitzes / 8 man fronts, I hope we run a bunch of WR screens (maybe Brown/Sanders) for easy completions and big RAC to force the secondary to spread out.

Maybe it's just me, but I put 0 confidence in what coaches say in the press about gameplans for upcoming games. This whole playbook thing sounds like typical coach BS to me. Does Ben even have 100% of the playbook open to him on gamedays? Don't we run gameplans that focus on specific plays to exploit a team's weaknesses? I think Ben may have a long list of plays the he can audible to, so maybe he has alot of the play book open to him. I don't think they'll let DD audible much if at all (same as Ben's first couple years).

If you read Tomlin's PC from today he said almost exactly the same thing. You NEVER have 100% of the playbook available... but the "scope" of the game plan would be the same regardless of who was the QB. At least that's how I read it.

RuthlessBurgher
09-07-2010, 03:56 PM
I think there will be one game where he looks awesome and is primarily responsible for a win (i.e. looks like he did vs. the Lions and Giants in the preseason...remarkably good).

I think there will be one game where he implodes and is primarily responsible for a loss (i.e. looks like he did vs. the Broncos in the preseason...multiple mistakes that absolutely kill our chances that day).

And I think the other two will be mediocre performances in which he is neither great nor awful, and it will be up to our defense, running game, special teams, etc. to be the difference in those games (i.e. looks like he did vs. the Ravens last season...some good moments, some bad moments, essentially good enough to keep us in the game for the most part).

Relentless7
09-07-2010, 03:57 PM

Pappy

If you read Tomlin's PC from today he said almost exactly the same thing. You NEVER have 100% of the playbook available... but the "scope" of the game plan would be the same regardless of who was the QB. At least that's how I read it.

Oviedo
09-07-2010, 03:58 PM
I think there will be one game where he looks awesome and is primarily responsible for a win (i.e. looks like he did vs. the Lions and Giants in the preseason...remarkably good).

I think there will be one game where he implodes and is primarily responsible for a loss (i.e. looks like he did vs. the Broncos in the preseason...multiple mistakes that absolutely kill our chances that day).

And I think the other two will be mediocre performances in which he is neither great nor awful, and it will be up to our defense, running game, special teams, etc. to be the difference in those games (i.e. looks like he did vs. the Ravens last season...some good moments, some bad moments, essentially good enough to keep us in the game for the most part).

If that equates to 2 wins and 2 losses I will be thrilled

phillyesq
09-07-2010, 04:10 PM

Kordell-Stewart-type confidence.

I had much more confidence in Kordell Stewart. Dixon wearing #10 does give me painful flashbacks to the Kordell era, but Kordell was a superior athlete in almost all respects, at least from what I've seen.

I'll put my confidence in Dixon at about 1.5, and really hope that he proves me wrong.

Slapstick
09-07-2010, 04:19 PM
The Ravens came after him with blitzes and 8 man fronts last year and Dixon burned them...

His undoing was not seeing the field against a zone defense...

If he has improved in that area, the Steelers will win at least two games...

feltdizz
09-07-2010, 04:22 PM

You pretty much described how every game plays out with a QB. Some days they carry the team, some days the team carries them.

I'll say a 4... and we go 4-0 as well.

Most of you guys who are down on Dixon said we had zero chance against the Ravens last year.

feltdizz
09-07-2010, 04:24 PM
The Ravens came after him with blitzes and 8 man fronts last year and Dixon burned them...

his undoing was seeing a tricky zone AFTER having won the game in regulation only to see the D give up the lead. :wink:

I think we are overlooking a glaring problem on the team and it isn't the O.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
09-07-2010, 04:27 PM
My confidence depends on how the D performs. If DD is asked to win us some games then I am around a 1.5. If he is asked not to lose the game then I'm around 3.5.

Despite his shortcomings, DD does bring certain skills to the table that can help him succeed. I can see him being able to lull the D into a sense of security with handoff after handoff and then bootleg for a long gainer.

I guess what I am saying is that if we are down 7 midway through the fourth then I don't have a lot of hope for him marching us down the field. If he is asked to operate on a short field all game with a decent run game and a few wrinkles thrown in then I think that he can move the ball and put up some points.

Stewie
09-07-2010, 05:07 PM
IMHO, KS was a better runner than DD; but DD is a more accurate passer. KS had trouble hitting wideopen receivers right in front of him. Let us not forget that DD was the leading Heisman candidate before he was injured. He'll do fine.

cruzer8
09-07-2010, 05:28 PM

RuthlessBurgher
09-07-2010, 05:38 PM
http://web.mac.com/ihor12/home/PI_DAY/Pi_files/pi3.14159etc.jpg

cruzer8
09-07-2010, 05:45 PM
http://web.mac.com/ihor12/home/PI_DAY/Pi_files/pi3.14159etc.jpg

Too high.

sd steel
09-07-2010, 05:46 PM
Just curious where most of you rank Ben on the same scale?

cruzer8
09-07-2010, 05:47 PM
Just to make it clear to everyone, I am not a DD hater. I want nothing more than for him to succeed but I just don't think he has what it takes based on what I have seen.

I really, really, really hope I am wrong, but I don't have confidence in him. If he succeeds I will be thrilled but if he fails I won't be the least bit surprised. I am hoping like hell for the former but I fully expect the latter.

Please prove me wrong about you, DD!

SteelBucks
09-07-2010, 05:47 PM
I'll agree with the 2.

I'm also in for 2 with the same points that you made. Unfortunately I'll also give our running game a 2....I'm always afraid Mendenhall is going to put the ball on the turf. Should make an interesting four games.

SteelBucks
09-07-2010, 05:51 PM

Too high? IMO, the Super Bowls, winning percentage, TD's and yards prove he's elite. He might force a few throws but that goes with the territory.

cruzer8
09-07-2010, 05:55 PM

5. No question. When Ben is in the game I feel we will win every time. I don't feel that with any of our other QBs.

Total confidence = 5

So-So = 3

DD = 2.25

papillon
09-07-2010, 05:59 PM

his undoing was seeing a tricky zone AFTER having won the game in regulation only to see the D give up the lead. :wink:

I think we are overlooking a glaring problem on the team and it isn't the O.

The defense's lacl luster performance last year and this year's underwhelming performances during the pre-season are part of the reason my confidence in DD is low. He is going to need good defense, a running game (like Ben had as a rookie) and good special teams to keep the Steelers in games. I didn't see anything that remotely resembled that during the pre-season.

I'm with ya, of course, I also believe the offense is going to struggle.

Pappy

Discipline of Steel
09-07-2010, 06:08 PM
Im with the middle of the roaders: one terrible, one great, two slightly above average games... 3.5

Either 2-2 or 3-1 and his run will be considered a success when Ben returns.

hawaiiansteel
09-07-2010, 06:16 PM

Too high? IMO, the Super Bowls, winning percentage, TD's and yards prove he's elite. He might force a few throws but that goes with the territory.

too bad Ben holds onto the ball too long... :roll:

frankthetank1
09-07-2010, 06:20 PM

thats what i was thinking. not only did he burn the ravens blitz last season he proved it was no fluke in the preseason. i remember a number of plays where he read the blitz and hit the hot route. my guess is dixon will see a ton of zone and have a MLB spy him

sd steel
09-07-2010, 06:21 PM
If the team rallys around the fact that we have an inexperienced QB and steps up their play like they did when Ben took over for Maddox I will probably put my confidence level up at the 4 mark. We have a good enough veteran team that should be able to be very competitive without having Dixon win it for us.

We are 2 years removed from the Super Bowl with basically the same roster, as long as Dixon plays within himself we could go 4-0. We have Troy and Aaron back, our defense should be alot stronger than last year, our center, although a rookie, is a stud, and we have a much stronger ground game than in past years. I really don't think Dixon will hurt us. I'm feeling pretty confident.

frankthetank1
09-07-2010, 06:26 PM

uh where would you rank him on the same scale? im pretty sure ben is at least top 3 in the nfl right now in 4qtr comebacks.

sd steel
09-07-2010, 07:12 PM

uh where would you rank him on the same scale? im pretty sure ben is at least top 3 in the nfl right now in 4qtr comebacks.

We were also 9-7 last year and didn't make the playoffs. So maybe the QB confidence scale isn't a very good indicator of how why might do the first 4 games.

feltdizz
09-07-2010, 08:31 PM
[quote="sd steel":3az2oo6t]Just curious where most of you rank Ben on the same scale?

We were also 9-7 last year and didn't make the playoffs. So maybe the QB confidence scale isn't a very good indicator of how why might do the first 4 games.[/quote:3az2oo6t]

We don't have to worry about the QB position when Ben has a helmet on.... he is proven.