PDA

View Full Version : Falcons Scouting Report from steelblood

steelblood
09-07-2010, 01:50 PM
My older son is a huge Falcons fan (and obviously has terrible taste). I've watched every game that I could with him for the last 4 years. He keeps me up to date on all the latest chatter as well. Here is what I have...

Scouting Report – Atlanta Falcons

SPECIAL TEAMS

P/KO-Michael Koenen is a weapon. He has a very strong leg on both kickoffs and punts. In 2008, the Falcons set the single season punt coverage record with only 49 total yards allowed for the entire season. This was due in large part to Koenen’s great hang time.
K-Matt Bryant on kicks on PATs and FGs. Average leg strength and accuracy.
PR/KR-Eric Weems is the main guy. He is strong and smart and finds seams in the coverage units. Runs with Hines Ward's wreckless abandon and balance. Not a burner.

DEFENSE

DT-Have not had a true run stuffer since Grady Jackson left a few years ago. Peria Jerry is the only real run stuffer and weighs in at 300 even. Jonathan Babineaux is an excellent penetrator. He’ll be lined up over Kemo. Look for him to blow up 2-3 plays in the backfield.
DE-Former Jet John Abraham is the most accomplished pass rusher, but his pressures and sacks were down significantly last season. Kroy Bierman is now their most consistent DE. Bierman is a high effort, high motor guy. He is disruptive and is a decent pass rusher. Bierman will be lined up over Flozell Adams.
MLB-Curtis Lofton is a tackling machine. He brings the wood and regularly punishes ball carriers. He is a liability in coverage as he is fooled by play action and loses his man too often.
OLB-The starters seem to be the vet Mike Peterson at LOLB and the very average Stephen Nicholas at ROLB. But, expect to see rookie Sean Weatherspoon platoon on both sides. Spoon is not the surest tackler and is still making rookie mistakes, but he has much better mobility and coverage skills than either Peterson or Nicholas.
CB-Dunta Robinson was the Falcons big off-season acquisition. He has not played a down in preseason as he nurses a minor injury. He is practicing now and will play, but his conditioning has been questioned. Christopher Owens is the other starter. He is a 2nd year player who has good coverage skills, but still makes rookie mistakes. Nickelback Brent Gimes is very short, but has incredible ball skills, leaping ability, and anticipation. Keep the ball away from him.
FS-Thomas DeCoud is the playmaker of the defense. He is a gambler in centerfield and loves to go for the strip (Be aware Mendenhall!)
SS-Erik Coleman has experience but is not a very good player. 2nd year man William Moore could see snaps as they work him into the lineup. Moore has much better ball skills.

OFFENSE

QB-Matt Ryan is usually unflappable. He is not that mobile, but moves well in the pocket and throws well rolling out to either side. Ryan’s arm strength is passable and the Falcons like to go deep off of play action. Offensive Coordinator Mike Mularkey has tailored the offense to Ryan’s skill with quick reads and lot’s of check downs.
WR-Roddy White has very good size, speed, and agility. He can get sloppy and run poor routes. White will drop an easy ball occasionally and make the circus catch routinely. Michael Jenkins is a tall possession guy who runs sloppy routes and struggles to get open. He would be a backup on most good teams. He is often neutralized. But, teams also forget about him while trying to cover White, Gonzalez, and company. The slot receiver is Harry Douglas. Douglas is an outstanding slot receiver but is slowed a bit while recovering from a serious knee injury he sustained last season.
OL-Sam Baker is one of worst pass blocking starting LTs in the NFL. He lacks the necessary footwork and agility. He gets by on grit and will power. If Harrison is healthy and back to 2008 form, he should regularly visit the Falcons backfield. The rest of the line is made up of veteran lunch pail types who excel at drive blocking and down blocking. The Falcons mostly run to the right behind Tyson Clabo and Harvey Dahl. Center Todd McClure has twice contemplated retirement and is beginning to show his age.
FB-The Falcons employ a true Fullback. Ovie Mughelli is a battering ram that makes Frank Summers look like, well, Frank Summers.
RB-Michael Turner looked burned out last year. There are stories of his better conditioning for this season. But, he still looks to have lost a step. He doesn’t hit the holes as quickly as you’d like. Still, he is very effective when the OL is clearing the way and opening cutback lanes. As for the backups, the big and bruising Jason Snelling has been more effective and consistent than the always dinged up Jerious Norwood in the past year. Both will play on third downs and spell Michael Turner as needed. Snelling excels on screen passes and Norwood is more of a homerun threat.
TE-Tony Gonzalez still wins most jump balls and 50-50s. The Steelers must use man coverage on him as he and Ryan can easily dissect a zone. He is Ryan’s favorite third down target. He does not have long speed or burst out of cuts anymore, but he must be accounted for, especially in the red zone.

Offensive coordinator Mike Mularkey will certainly have a new gadget play, a new formation wrinkle, and a new misdirection play in his bag of tricks on Sunday. He loves his toys and will make sure that his old team gets a good dose of them.

RuthlessBurgher
09-07-2010, 02:06 PM
Thanks a bunch, SB. Good stuff! I hope your other children have better taste in football teams. Here's to your oldest son being disappointed on Sunday! :Cheers

steelblood
09-07-2010, 03:20 PM
Thanks a bunch, SB. Good stuff! I hope your other children have better taste in football teams. Here's to your oldest son being disappointed on Sunday! :Cheers

My younger son wears the black and gold, but his twin sister hates football . At least, I've converted my wife (and she was born in Cleveland). So 3 of 5 are Steeler's fans which is important because majority gets the big screen!

RuthlessBurgher
09-07-2010, 03:43 PM

My younger son wears the black and gold, but his twin sister hates football . At least, I've converted my wife (and she was born in Cleveland). So 3 of 5 are Steeler's fans which is important because majority gets the big screen!

At least your oldest did not choose the Bengals. I assume that being surrounded by those "fans" where you live could get quite annoying...wouldn't want one in my house. I can respect a Falcon fan (you know for sure that guy is not a bandwagon jumper, since they have never been good other than that one "Dirty Bird" year where they upset the 15-1 Vikings in the playoffs).

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
09-07-2010, 04:14 PM
Come on SB.....next time you give us a scouting report try to give us some insight. Just kidding, great look at a team that we don't see all that often.

Thanks.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
09-07-2010, 04:38 PM
Actually steel, after reading this report, this D might be well suited for our current situation.

If we can have any success running the ball then we are set up nicely for play action. Sounds like the Falcons do not have a great pass rush and a DB that bites and another who may not yet be in football shape.

A play action roll out might give DD some open receivers to shoot for. I will stay away from the "big deal, he won't see them anyway" comments and hope that it more like the PA pass he threw in the second PS game.