PDA

View Full Version : Owen Schmitt cut.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
09-06-2010, 08:37 PM
His name came up in a topic in here. He was officially released.

http://www.seahawks.com/news/press/arti ... db0ae14803 (http://www.seahawks.com/news/press/article-1/Seahawks-announce-roster-moves/8495a8ad-a90a-42d2-9e9a-e9db0ae14803)

Oviedo
09-07-2010, 07:54 AM
I would take him over Johnson as a FB/TE hybrid any day of the week. Johnson will never be an effective blocker in space or on the second level.

Schmitt also has much, much better hands as a receiver than "stonehands" Johnson ever could hope to have.

calmkiller
09-07-2010, 08:46 AM
I would take him over Johnson as a FB/TE hybrid any day of the week. Johnson will never be an effective blocker in space or on the second level.

Schmitt also has much, much better hands as a receiver than "stonehands" Johnson ever could hope to have.

$$$$

steelblood
09-07-2010, 08:48 AM
I think Schmidtt would be great on special teams as well. Versatile guy.

feltdizz
09-07-2010, 11:48 AM
he was cut for a reason...

this isn't WVU.. no thanks.

Stewie
09-07-2010, 12:00 PM
he was cut for a reason...

this isn't WVU.. no thanks.

I'm not saying go after the dude, but I don't have any faith in the reasoning of the Seattle staff. They cut TJ and have to pay him $6.5 million. They could have kept him for less than $8m. Who are their WRS???

grotonsteel
09-07-2010, 12:04 PM
I'm not saying go after the dude, but I don't have any faith in the reasoning of the Seattle staff. They cut TJ and have to pay him $6.5 million. They could have kept him for less than $8m. Who are their WRS???

I would sign Schmitt over Johnson. We need a good blocking FB atleast for first 4 games when Steelers will be running 40 times a game and with Dixon ability to gain yards on ground.

sd steel
09-07-2010, 12:45 PM

I would sign Schmitt over Johnson. We need a good blocking FB atleast for first 4 games when Steelers will be running 40 times a game and with Dixon ability to gain yards on ground.

I'm glad you aren't in our personnel dept., pick up a big dumb guy who likes too hit himself in the head and recently got a DUI and sign him to a position that our OC doesn't use. Makes alot of sense. :shock:

feltdizz
09-07-2010, 12:59 PM

I'm glad you aren't in our personnel dept., pick up a big dumb guy who likes too hit himself in the head and recently got a DUI and sign him to a position that our OC doesn't use. Makes alot of sense. :shock:

People are seeing the WVU Owen and not the NFL Owen... and they think we are in 2004 and are going to run 50 times a game.

ANPSTEEL
09-07-2010, 01:11 PM

People are seeing the WVU Owen and not the NFL Owen... and they think we are in 2004 and are going to run 50 times a game.

yeah, this sort of falls under the Matt Jones category.

who, btw, is also available.

cruzer8
09-07-2010, 01:26 PM

About as much sense as kicking a franchise QB off a team based on accusations.

sd steel
09-07-2010, 01:50 PM

Sorry if my moral compass would have me take both sides of the story into account, as well as the previous allegations, and the numerous accounts of people saying that he hasn't treated other people well.

I am not a GM, nor do I claim to be, but I do watch every single Steeler game with my son since he was 5 years old, and watching Steeler football is a family affair, and having to explain why our QB is suspended and having to still root for the douchebag is troubling to say the least and hypocritcal at best. So yes, you are lucky that I am not the Rooney's because I would have cut him for his stupidity alone, and maybe we would be a mediocre team for the next 10 years, but I would still root for them and watch them every weekend. For now I will root for the Steelers, but will have a hard time cheering for Ben. Who knows, maybe that will all change if he wins another Super Bowl, or maybe I won't follow as closely and eventually drop Steeler Football as my favorite sport and I will become more productive during football season in other aspects of my life.

ikestops85
09-07-2010, 02:03 PM
[quote=Stewie]

Sorry if my moral compass would have me take both sides of the story into account, as well as the previous allegations, and the numerous accounts of people saying that he hasn't treated other people well.

I am not a GM, nor do I claim to be, but I do watch every single Steeler game with my son since he was 5 years old, and watching Steeler football is a family affair, and having to explain why our QB is suspended and having to still root for the douchebag is troubling to say the least and hypocritcal at best. So yes, you are lucky that I am not the Rooney's because I would have cut him for his stupidity alone, and maybe we would be a mediocre team for the next 10 years, but I would still root for them and watch them every weekend. For now I will root for the Steelers, but will have a hard time cheering for Ben. Who knows, maybe that will all change if he wins another Super Bowl, or maybe I won't follow as closely and eventually drop Steeler Football as my favorite sport and I will become more productive during football season in other aspects of my life.[/quote:1d4hh67b]

I'm sorry you found it hard to tell your son that Ben garnered bad publicity for the team and the Czar Goodell had to make an example out of him.

Do you have the same problem rooting for douchebag Harrison or does your moral compass only apply to allegations of a sexual nature?

cruzer8
09-07-2010, 02:05 PM
[quote=Stewie]

I am not a GM, nor do I claim to be, but I do watch every single Steeler game with my son since he was 5 years old, and watching Steeler football is a family affair, and having to explain why our QB is suspended and having to still root for the douchebag is troubling to say the least and hypocritcal at best. So yes, you are lucky that I am not the Rooney's because I would have cut him for his stupidity alone, and maybe we would be a mediocre team for the next 10 years, but I would still root for them and watch them every weekend. For now I will root for the Steelers, but will have a hard time cheering for Ben. Who knows, maybe that will all change if he wins another Super Bowl, or maybe I won't follow as closely and eventually drop Steeler Football as my favorite sport and I will become more productive during football season in other aspects of my life.[/quote:3ayow9bm]

We can only hope.

sd steel
09-07-2010, 02:16 PM
If the Harrison news garnered as much attention as the Ben news, he would have been gone too.

And Cruser at least I am a Steeler fan, not just a Ben fan like yourself. And why would you care whether I am supporting the Pittsburgh Steelers or not? I have been a life long fan for over 40 years, and I am originally from Pittsburgh, why wouldn't you want me rooting for the Steelers? Because I don't agree with Ben's actions?

feltdizz
09-07-2010, 02:58 PM
If the Harrison news garnered as much attention as the Ben news, he would have been gone too.

And Cruser at least I am a Steeler fan, not just a Ben fan like yourself. And why would you care whether I am supporting the Pittsburgh Steelers or not? I have been a life long fan for over 40 years, and I am originally from Pittsburgh, why wouldn't you want me rooting for the Steelers? Because I don't agree with Ben's actions?

A lot of Big Ben fans can't stand Steeler fans... most hate the city and the people who live or have lived there. :stirpot

Notice how they turn every thread into a Ben topic.

papillon
09-07-2010, 03:04 PM

A lot of Big Ben fans can't stand Steeler fans... most hate the city and the people who live or have lived there. :stirpot

I disagree here, most Steeler fans love the city (particularly those of us who grew up there) and the majority of Steeler fans were at one time or another a resident of the city or its suburbs. I'm not sure why you think most Steeler fans hate the city. :?:

Pappy

sd steel
09-07-2010, 03:06 PM

I agree, but that's cool. I love football, I love my Steelers, if they don't like the way I feel about Ben that's cool too. It wouldn't be brought up over and over if it wasn't an issue, and if they didn't feel the need to defend him. In my opinion Goodell did screw up, but Ben gave him a reason to. Nuff said I'm done with the Ben topic.

For the record, Owen is a big dumb scrub please don't sign him.

calmkiller
09-07-2010, 03:34 PM
[quote="sd steel":126w84ca]If the Harrison news garnered as much attention as the Ben news, he would have been gone too.

I agree, but that's cool. I love football, I love my Steelers, if they don't like the way I feel about Ben that's cool too. It wouldn't be brought up over and over if it wasn't an issue, and if they didn't feel the need to defend him. In my opinion Goodell did screw up, but Ben gave him a reason to. Nuff said I'm done with the Ben topic.

For the record, Owen is a big dumb scrub please don't sign him.[/quote:126w84ca]

For the record you are a dumbass.

feltdizz
09-07-2010, 04:29 PM

I disagree here, most Steeler fans love the city (particularly those of us who grew up there) and the majority of Steeler fans were at one time or another a resident of the city or its suburbs. I'm not sure why you think most Steeler fans hate the city. :?:

Pappy

Steeler fans are very different from Big Ben fans. BB fans will disappear once Ben retires. Steeler fans have been fans long before Ben was born or before he put on a jersey.

I was being sarcastic too... but there is some truth to it IMO.

sd steel
09-07-2010, 04:42 PM
[quote="sd steel":1dttjw2b]If the Harrison news garnered as much attention as the Ben news, he would have been gone too.

For the record, Owen is a big dumb scrub please don't sign him.

For the record you are a dumbass.[/quote:1dttjw2b]

What... are you Owen's sister?

grotonsteel
09-07-2010, 04:44 PM

I know you can't read but still i will try to make you understand my point.

I was talking about signing a blocking FB because Steelers might run ball more in 4 games because of new QB.

Now go on with your Ben bashing.

Sugar
09-07-2010, 04:47 PM
Steeler fans are very different from Big Ben fans. BB fans will disappear once Ben retires. Steeler fans have been fans long before Ben was born or before he put on a jersey.

I've been a Steeler fan since I knew what football was and will be until the end. That said, Big Ben is a personal favorite and I'd have bought his jersey (no matter the team) had the team been stupid enough to unload him this past spring.

As for Schmitt, I really don't see a need for him here. He fits a style we just don't play anymore and I'm not sure that he's all that good anyway.

grotonsteel
09-07-2010, 04:49 PM

In one sentence you are saying you are a Steelers fan and in another statement you are saying i won't cheer for Big Ben. In other words i will cheer Big Ben failure which equals to team failure.

Tell me how can you claim you are a Steelers fan...???

sd steel
09-07-2010, 04:49 PM

I was talking about signing a blocking FB because Steelers might run ball more in 4 games because of new QB.

Does our OC use a fullback alot even in running situations? Would he be a wise pickup by the FO if that is the case? then add on that the guy hits himself in the head on purpose and injured himself, and just recently got a DUI? Just sayin, probably not a great guy to sign...even if you are in love with him because he played at WV.

grotonsteel
09-07-2010, 04:51 PM

How can you be a Steelers fan when you pray for failure of one of the Steelers player??

sd steel
09-07-2010, 04:54 PM

In one sentence you are saying you are a Steelers fan and in another statement you are saying i won't cheer for Big Ben. In other words i will cheer Big Ben failure which equals to team failure.

Tell me how can you claim you are a Steelers fan...???
That's not what I'm saying at all, I am saying that I will always root for the Steelers, but Ben is hard to root for. And I won't have to worry about it for the next 4 games because Big dumb Ben went and got himself suspended.

I'm sure you're a long time fan too...what all 12 years of your life?

NJ-STEELER
09-07-2010, 05:12 PM
good thing SD wasn't in charge in the 70's either. we might not have had those 4 Sbs in 6 uears

the whole steel curtain might have been released after reportedly doing coke out on the town

cruzer8
09-07-2010, 05:25 PM

Pappy

The only truth is that you are a tool for believing something so stupid.

And you are incorrect, NJ. Sports news wasn't like it is today back in the 70's. So there wasn't all this negative attention on "sd's Steelers" so anything they did was ok.

In White Men Can't Jump it was said that a black man would rather look good and lose than look bad and win. That pretty much sums up sd's take on Ben. It doesn't matter if he is innocent or guilty. There was a lot of negative speculation so dump the guy regardless of how much of it is true.

:roll:

sd steel
09-07-2010, 05:26 PM
good thing SD wasn't in charge in the 70's either. we might not have had those 4 Sbs in 6 uears

the whole steel curtain might have been released after reportedly doing coke out on the town

If it's true, is that something that you are proud of? If you think doing drugs is OK, I guess that is your perogative, I can now understand why you don't have a problem with Ben's behavior. I guess it all about how you were brought up.

hawaiiansteel
09-07-2010, 05:36 PM
Owen Schmitt is a FB - please read Bruce Arians' quote below as many times as necessary for you to understand that Arians does not utilize a true FB in his offense.

I don't have a fullback. There's no fullback in my offense, there's never going to be one.

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/images/photos/000/947/288/76027591.jpg.9931_crop_340x234.jpg?1272858742

grotonsteel
09-07-2010, 05:51 PM
[quote=Stewie]

Does our OC use a fullback alot even in running situations? Would he be a wise pickup by the FO if that is the case? then add on that the guy hits himself in the head on purpose and injured himself, and just recently got a DUI? Just sayin, probably not a great guy to sign...even if you are in love with him because he played at WV.[/quote:3033bne7]

Again can TE David Johnson catch?? Johnson is used purely as a blocking TE in Steelers O-scheme. I believe Owen will be a better option compared to Johnson atleast in first 4 games.

Again i don't love Owen Schmitt and i have never pimped him on this board. Also i believe Steelers will have different O-scheme with Dixon in. I don't think BA will allow Dixon to pass 35 times a game.

grotonsteel
09-07-2010, 05:55 PM

Well i ain't Viagra popping 70 year old grandpa.

Was not born in 70s and too young to understand football in 80s. That does not make me a less of a Steelers fan IMO.

hawaiiansteel
09-07-2010, 05:55 PM
do you guyz really think the Steelers are going to sign a player who had a DUI recently? :roll:

Seahawks' Owen Schmitt arrested on suspicion of drunken driving

By Danny O'Neil
Seattle Times staff reporter

Schmitt, 24, was pulled over by Black Diamond police around midnight for speeding. He was subsequently arrested for drunken driving after his blood-alcohol content was measured at .151 and .161, according to State Patrol records. The legal limit in Washington is .08.

Arraignment is scheduled for July 8.

A written statement from Schmitt was released this morning by the Seahawks.

"I sincerely apologize to the team, the NFL, the fans and my family and friends for my actions and my poor judgment," Schmitt said. "I fully understand the seriousness of this matter, and I am disappointed in myself. I am committed to earning back the trust of everyone affected."

Schmitt was drafted in 2008 out of West Virginia and played mainly special teams as a rookie. He is expected to be the starting fullback in 2009 after the departure of Leonard Weaver, who signed with Philadelphia as a free agent in March.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/l ... ui26m.html (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2009383919_webseahawkdui26m.html)

sd steel
09-07-2010, 06:25 PM

Well i ain't Viagra popping 70 year old grandpa.

Was not born in 70s and too young to understand football in 80s. That does not make me a less of a Steelers fan IMO.

No, but it proves my point...you young whippersnapper.

NJ-STEELER
09-07-2010, 06:38 PM
i have more of a problem with a girl looking to get it on with a star and then crying wolf(rape) that can cause irreputable damage.

the curtain doing coke, the OL doing steroids. accusations
Just like Ben

so, when are you gonna start looking for a new team?

sd steel
09-07-2010, 07:08 PM
i have more of a problem with a girl looking to get it on with a star and then crying wolf(rape) that can cause irreputable damage.

Just like Ben

I will never follow another team, I might quit following pro sports, and being that I coach football and baseball it would probably give me more time for golf and travel baseball on Sundays.

As far as all these girls trying to set Ben up, why doesn't it happen to other franchise QB's, and if it happened to Flacco or Brady, twice, would you be saying that they were absolutely innocent too?

NJ-STEELER
09-07-2010, 07:39 PM
its happened to other NFL players.

why does it have to be QB position for you to compare it too? its happened to hall of famer michael irvin twice (maybe more ) that i know of

and the answer is actually simple... the 1st girl was a loon who didn't even try to criminally charge him, and the 2nd came about from the 1st accusation

....have you read any of the transcripts in either case or are you just "too disgusted" to bother

grotonsteel
09-07-2010, 08:41 PM
[quote="NJ-STEELER":2gohm1b2]i have more of a problem with a girl looking to get it on with a star and then crying wolf(rape) that can cause irreputable damage.

Just like Ben

I will never follow another team, I might quit following pro sports, and being that I coach football and baseball it would probably give me more time for golf and travel baseball on Sundays.

[/quote:2gohm1b2]

I pity those students because you definitely don't talk like a coach on this message board. Have not heard any technical analysis from you.

I guess Tiger Woods is your idol...

sd steel
09-07-2010, 11:47 PM
[quote="NJ-STEELER":3gnsgk14]i have more of a problem with a girl looking to get it on with a star and then crying wolf(rape) that can cause irreputable damage.

Just like Ben

I pity those students because you definitely don't talk like a coach on this message board. Have not heard any technical analysis from you.

I guess Tiger Woods is your idol...[/quote:3gnsgk14]

Pity all you want, my baseball teams went 38-3 this year counting allstars and came in second in the southern region of CA, and my Pop warner team is 21-0 over the last three seasons and we won the San Diego championship last year. So if you want to pity a bunch of well coached winners go ahead.

Technical analysis? I coach 10-11 year olds. I teach fundamentals, and talking X's and O's on a message board is tough because we aren't seeing what the coaches see everyday, and we don't know the reads and the game plan. Discussing X's and O's normally ends up with individuals questioning other individuals in regards to their playing and coaching experience. Normally it gets more heated than posts about whether Ben is innocent or guilty.

Because I golf Tiger Woods is my idol??? Not sure I get your angle.

stlrz d
09-07-2010, 11:50 PM
Every team I have ever coached has gone undefeated.

This is a message board so it's true because I say so.

:lol:

sd steel
09-08-2010, 12:15 AM
Every team I have ever coached has gone undefeated.

You really want to go there with me again? I think the last time you finally admitted that you never really played football. Leave it to you to be most "douchetastic" again!

Didn't you also predict that Arians would be fired? How did that turn out?

I get it that people don't like my take on Ben, and they feel he is our only chance to win and will fight tooth and nail for him, and that he is a poor innocent guy who just got set up by 2 different women, but I don't agree. So they feel the need to bash me and call me names, even though I am a huge Steeler fan. So be it.

You on the other hand are a goofball and somewhat of an internet bully which you have proven post after post. Get a life.

stlrz d
09-08-2010, 07:54 AM
[quote="stlrz d":29d28brr]Every team I have ever coached has gone undefeated.

You really want to go there with me again? I think the last time you finally admitted that you never really played football. [/quote:29d28brr]

Wrong. I played 4 years in HS (OLB) and 2 in college (safety).

Every prediction you have ever made has come true?

That's what I thought.

I get it that people don't like my take on Ben, and they feel he is our only chance to win and will fight tooth and nail for him, and that he is a poor innocent guy who just got set up by 2 different women, but I don't agree. So they feel the need to bash me and call me names, even though I am a huge Steeler fan. So be it.

No, you clearly don't get it.

You on the other hand are a goofball and somewhat of an internet bully which you have proven post after post. Get a life.

frankthetank1
09-08-2010, 08:01 AM

if you go back and look this thread was turned into a ben topic by SD steel. arent most ben fans, fans of the steelers as well? why would anyone hate the burgh? i honestly never hear a bad word about the city from people who visit there for the first time.

frankthetank1
09-08-2010, 08:04 AM

stone hands? i dont recall ever seeing johnson drop a pass. of course i think i have only seen about 4 passes thrown to him, but i dont remember him dropping any. from the FB position i think johnson is a pretty good blocker. i admit its been a few years since i have seen schmitt play.

do we really need to throw passes to the FB anyways? i dont recall danny krieder catching too many passes.

feltdizz
09-08-2010, 09:25 AM

if you go back and look this thread was turned into a ben topic by SD steel. arent most ben fans, fans of the steelers as well? why would anyone hate the burgh? i honestly never hear a bad word about the city from people who visit there for the first time.

Nope.... there are a few guys on here who are Single White QB fans... LOL. If they watched Ben slap an old lady the first thing they would do is ask her what she did to deserve it.

These guys bash the city, the fans, the yinzers with ease.

grotonsteel
09-08-2010, 09:38 AM

Nope.... there are a few guys on here who are Single White QB fans... LOL. If they watched Ben slap an old lady the first thing they would do is ask her what she did to deserve it.

These guys bash the city, the fans, the yinzers with ease.

Again who turned this topic into Ben topic??? Definitely not a Big Ben fan.

Ben bashers come here talking sh%^ saying they will not cheer for Big Ben and has the balls to say they are Steelers fan. WTF

grotonsteel
09-08-2010, 09:39 AM
[quote="sd steel":1akwcobd][quote="NJ-STEELER":1akwcobd]i have more of a problem with a girl looking to get it on with a star and then crying wolf(rape) that can cause irreputable damage.

Just like Ben

I guess Tiger Woods is your idol...[/quote:1akwcobd]

Pity all you want, my baseball teams went 38-3 this year counting allstars and came in second in the southern region of CA, and my Pop warner team is 21-0 over the last three seasons and we won the San Diego championship last year. So if you want to pity a bunch of well coached winners go ahead.

Technical analysis? I coach 10-11 year olds. I teach fundamentals, and talking X's and O's on a message board is tough because we aren't seeing what the coaches see everyday, and we don't know the reads and the game plan. Discussing X's and O's normally ends up with individuals questioning other individuals in regards to their playing and coaching experience. Normally it gets more heated than posts about whether Ben is innocent or guilty.

Because I golf Tiger Woods is my idol??? Not sure I get your angle.[/quote:1akwcobd]

I am Vince Lombardi of High School football...

sd steel
09-08-2010, 11:04 AM
[quote="sd steel":39kqr4lg][quote="NJ-STEELER":39kqr4lg]i have more of a problem with a girl looking to get it on with a star and then crying wolf(rape) that can cause irreputable damage.

Just like Ben

I guess Tiger Woods is your idol...

Because I golf Tiger Woods is my idol??? Not sure I get your angle.[/quote:39kqr4lg]

I am Vince Lombardi of High School football...[/quote:39kqr4lg]

Like I said, I get it you are about 12 years old.

sd steel
09-08-2010, 11:06 AM
[quote="sd steel":1skxu5q0][quote="stlrz d":1skxu5q0]Every team I have ever coached has gone undefeated.

You really want to go there with me again? I think the last time you finally admitted that you never really played football. [/quote:1skxu5q0]

Wrong. I played 4 years in HS (OLB) and 2 in college (safety).

Every prediction you have ever made has come true?

That's what I thought.

No, you clearly don't get it.

:lol:[/quote:1skxu5q0]

Why did you admit that you never played then? You were a self proclaimed bandfag. No worries, Liar.

sd steel
09-08-2010, 11:08 AM

Sorry here is where the Big Ben fan brought Ben into the Owen Schmidt thread.
So follow along grotonsteel, cause Cruser is about as big a ben fan as you.

feltdizz
09-08-2010, 12:02 PM

Hijacked

grotonsteel
09-08-2010, 12:15 PM
Like I said, I get it you are about 12 years old.

Well you can't read and now you can't do simple math. Jezz and you teach fundamentals to 10-11 year old kids...God Help those Kids.

Keeping popping those Viagra...Good for your health...Grandpa...

cruzer8
09-08-2010, 12:55 PM
[quote=Stewie]

Sorry here is where the Big Ben fan brought Ben into the Owen Schmidt thread.
So follow along grotonsteel, cause Cruser is about as big a ben fan as you.[/quote:37rge47i]

No, I'm a Steelers fan. And Ben is a Steeler. He will continue to be a Steeler no matter how much you dislike that and cling to that laughable "evidence" that you believe proves he is guilty.

You, on the other hand, are an a-hole. A rather large one.

stlrz d
09-08-2010, 01:07 PM
Stating that I never played would be a lie, which is why I've never done such a thing. So it is you who is lying. Maybe it is time for you to talk to someone about your drinking problem and how it is affecting your memory?

RuthlessBurgher
09-08-2010, 01:14 PM
All right, all right...settle down, folks.

A thread about Owen Schmitt being cut by the Seahawks has disintegrated into petty back-and-forth namecalling between numerous posters? Really?

Normally, this garbage tends to be a vendetta between just two posters who don't particularly like one another, but now we seem to have more than just a pair going after each other.

So to anyone and everyone involved, I'd like to say a big ol'...

http://www.theospot.net/pictures/misc/francis.jpg

That is all.

Sheesh.

AngryAsian
09-08-2010, 02:22 PM

A thread about Owen Schmitt being cut by the Seahawks has disintegrated into petty back-and-forth namecalling between numerous posters? Really?

Normally, this garbage tends to be a vendetta between just two posters who don't particularly like one another, but now we seem to have more than just a pair going after each other.

That is all.

Sheesh.

This is my colleague's tactful way of serving all who are involved a notice to please adhere to the board rules when interacting with one another. Thank you.

RuthlessBurgher
09-08-2010, 02:23 PM

That is all.

Sheesh.

This is my colleague's tactful way of serving all who are involved a notice to please adhere to the board rules when interacting with one another. Thank you.

Yeah, what he said. :wink:

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
09-14-2010, 09:25 AM
After all of that.

Schmidt will sign with Eagles after Weaver is out for year.

feltdizz
09-14-2010, 09:56 AM
After all of that.

David Johnson opened up a huge hole for Mendy...

I haven't seen one highlight of Schmidt ON the field... just in the pregame.

I guess we will finally get to see if he has game since the Eagles should get some primetime this year.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
09-14-2010, 11:12 AM
After all of that.

I guess we will finally get to see if he has game since the Eagles should get some primetime this year.

Johnson had a nice game. He played well last year too. If you single out any player in a replay for your team you could see what they do. Any fan would be saying the same thing about Johnson if they compare him to a player on their team, so I don't know why that sentence would mean anything. Eagles are my local NFC team so I always see alot of them when they play.

feltdizz
09-14-2010, 11:35 AM
[quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":39oeoglz]After all of that.

Johnson had a nice game. He played well last year too. If you single out any player in a replay for your team you could see what they do. Any fan would be saying the same thing about Johnson if they compare him to a player on their team, so I don't know why that sentence would mean anything. Eagles are my local NFC team so I always see alot of them when they play.[/quote:39oeoglz]

I'm pretty sure this thread was started to suggest Schmidt could solve our FB woes...
I brought up Johnson because he is our FB and cleared the way for a game winning TD.

I have never seen Schmidt do anything to suggest he is anything special in the NFL. Now I will finally get a chance to see if we missed on a great FB. If he looks like Carey Davis then surely all the love for Schmidt as a Steeler is unwarranted.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
09-14-2010, 12:33 PM
[quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":spsmavrj]After all of that.

Johnson had a nice game. He played well last year too. If you single out any player in a replay for your team you could see what they do. Any fan would be saying the same thing about Johnson if they compare him to a player on their team, so I don't know why that sentence would mean anything. Eagles are my local NFC team so I always see alot of them when they play.

I'm pretty sure this thread was started to suggest Schmidt could solve our FB woes...
I brought up Johnson because he is our FB and cleared the way for a game winning TD.

I have never seen Schmidt do anything to suggest he is anything special in the NFL. Now I will finally get a chance to see if we missed on a great FB. If he looks like Carey Davis then surely all the love for Schmidt as a Steeler is unwarranted.[/quote:spsmavrj]

I actually started this thread because his name came up in a thread as being rumored to be released. I started this thread when it was official.

As far as putting the weight on Johnson for clearing the way for the game winning TD, it was a great block. But there were 6 other blocks that also had something to do with the play. Putting that block in the context of the result of the play doesn't make him any better than his total body of work for the game. If that run was in the 4th and the Falcons took the next series 50 yards and scored the FG as time expired, the block would still be a good block but nobody would be ready to put him on the Pro Bowl roster.

I don't think anyone suggested that Schmitt or Johnson for that matter was anything special. Schmitt wasn't used that much in Seattle but he served well leading for J Jones. They were disappointed because his 3rd round grade didn't amount to anything in that offense and was a wasted roster spot for the number of plays he sees the field. Johnson gives you a FB & 3rd TE at a 7th round value. He isn't a Kredier but he was better than Davis & Summers at lead blocking and serves as an in-line blocker as the 3rd TE.

Personally, the way the roster settled, I would take Johnson over Schmitt. If the Steelers kept Summers for a lead blocker, I would rather have Schmitt. Schmitt is better than Summers and equal to Johnson at lead blocking. Johnson gives you more value on the current roster over Schmitt since they kept 4 true HB. Johnson even has room for improvement. I'm not sure Schmitt does.

ikestops85
09-14-2010, 12:34 PM
I think a lot of people liked Schmitt's attitude. He reminds me of a Rocky Bleier type of player who fights and scraps for every little thing. I think he'll end up being a nice role player for some team.

feltdizz
09-14-2010, 02:50 PM
No need to get defensive Nasty... I just think there was an Owen Schmidt in Pitt fan clubthat had nothing to do with his NFL game thus far. They were talking as though Schmitt has done something in the NFL thus far that makes him a perfect fit for us...

I was just pointing out that I think we have a decent FB/TE who did what most people were saying Schmitt would be perfect at.

I haven't seen anything from Owen besides hitting his head with a helmet and getting a DUI. I'm curious to see if he was cut for a reason or if he makes an impact in Philly.

feltdizz
09-14-2010, 02:51 PM

$$$$

or better yet.... this is who the post really for :tt1

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
09-15-2010, 10:18 AM
No need to get defensive Nasty... I just think there was an Owen Schmidt in Pitt fan clubthat had nothing to do with his NFL game thus far. They were talking as though Schmitt has done something in the NFL thus far that makes him a perfect fit for us...

I was just pointing out that I think we have a decent FB/TE who did what most people were saying Schmitt would be perfect at.

I haven't seen anything from Owen besides hitting his head with a helmet and getting a DUI. I'm curious to see if he was cut for a reason or if he makes an impact in Philly.
If I came across as being defensive...I apologize. Not looking to argue about Schmitt. I also said with the current 53, I like Johnson over Schmitt. If the Steelers decided to try to sneak Dwyer on the PS and keep Summers as the FB (Johnson would also be on the roster) I would pick Schmitt over Summers. Schmitt has been more effective at lead blocking in his career than Summers.

Just some comments on the helmet incident. He busted himself open in an introduction. If he didn't bust himself open, that would never be something brought up. He has done that through his whole career back to college. Hitting yourself in the head with your own helmet isn't as odd as you think on any level. There are many rituals of self hurting that some players do. You would be surprised what happens in the locker room, tunnel, or sideline. I did and experienced things myself. I had two OL that we would head butt each other without our helmets when we were in the locker room. Slapping each other in the face. I also experienced 2 players that did the same as Schmitt. Funny thing is, the one in high school finished in the top 5 of our class and went to West Point. I tease him all the time when I see him. Tell him if he didn't do that stuff, they might have let him in an Ivy League school. But he was a grunt and always wanted to be one. Last I heard, he is working Border Patrol. He was always a deliberate man. That is a good quality to be an NFL player. I'm not saying that will make you smash your head with a helmet, but being on that edge of violence comes in handy in a violent sport like the NFL. That stuff doesn't concern me and it obviously doesn't concern coaches. As long as it isn't a distraction or cost the team penalties...I'll take those guys on my team at certain positions.