PDA

View Full Version : Where did Burnett wind up?

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-06-2010, 08:21 PM
I must have missed it somewhere on the board, but I don't remember reading his name after he was cut - is he on the PS, or did someone else pick him up?

RuthlessBurgher
09-06-2010, 08:27 PM
He's not eligible for the practice squad after playing in 15 games for us last season.

Thus far, no other team has added him to their 53 man roster. He is currently a free agent. Perhaps if we suffer an injury in our secondary at some point this season, we can give him a call if he has not signed elsewhere by then.

Discipline of Steel
09-06-2010, 08:38 PM
He had big play potential, which many on this board loved. But I guess in practice (and games), where coaches see him every day, he was inconsistent.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-06-2010, 09:35 PM
Wow, amazing that a guy with his skills is a Wal-marter. I thought for sure someone would have snatched him up, if only to put him on their practice squad.

RuthlessBurgher
09-07-2010, 10:11 AM
Wow, amazing that a guy with his skills is a Wal-marter. I thought for sure someone would have snatched him up, if only to put him on their practice squad.

He's not eligible for anyone's practice squad. With an accrued NFL season under his belt, it's a 53 man roster or nothing. I wouldn't worry for him. With the attrition rates in this league due to injuries, he is sure to get signed somewhere when a corner gets hurt at some point.

PSU_dropout43
09-07-2010, 10:51 AM
Burnett's still eligible for the PS. He becomes ineligible after one season + 9 games on the active roster.

RuthlessBurgher
09-07-2010, 12:05 PM
Burnett's still eligible for the PS. He becomes ineligible after one season + 9 games on the active roster.

Players must meet one of the following criteria while previously not being on a practice squad more than two seasons:

No accrued seasons of NFL experience.

Free agents who were on an active roster for fewer than nine regular-season games during their accrued seasons.

Burnett has an accrued season of NFL experience.

And during his accrued season, he was on the our active roster for 15 games.

Ghost
09-07-2010, 12:37 PM
Wait... whose PS did Burnett go to....

Shoe
09-07-2010, 12:58 PM
Who cares. He had his chance on the field--he showed he didn't have it.

aggiebones
09-07-2010, 01:12 PM
I think we may see him reappear for us in a couple weeks. Maybe a secret deal to keep him in Pittsburgh? I think its not uncommon.

If they were smart, they'd cut Batch and Lefty when Ben returns. Retain Batch as an assistant somehow, then if Ben or Dixon gets hurt after week 4, bring him back. No reason to have him as a 3rd QB on the roster. That would give us another free player for the year.

phillyesq
09-07-2010, 02:00 PM
He's not eligible for anyone's practice squad. With an accrued NFL season under his belt, it's a 53 man roster or nothing. I wouldn't worry for him. With the attrition rates in this league due to injuries, he is sure to get signed somewhere when a corner gets hurt at some point.

It's a shame that PS eligibility works against guys like Burnett. I would think that he could really benefit from another year of seasoning, but with no PS eligibility, he is on the street and more or less unable to do anything to raise his stock.

ramblinjim
09-07-2010, 03:03 PM

It's a shame that PS eligibility works against guys like Burnett. I would think that he could really benefit from another year of seasoning, but with no PS eligibility, he is on the street and more or less unable to do anything to raise his stock.

I agree, philly that this kid could probably do well on some teams PS for a year and is losing out for not being PS eligible at this time.

fezziwig
09-07-2010, 03:10 PM
Burnett showed little in my opinion except for potential. How many guys have rode the pine because of their "future" ability through the years ? That is one of the things I like about Tomlin, you don't produce or take advantage of your chance and he lets the dead weight go. Burnett showed a glimps here and there but, he never did much or anything against the number ones that I recall. He was just okay against the threes and fours. Glad he is gone.

RuthlessBurgher
09-07-2010, 03:40 PM
Burnett showed little in my opinion except for potential. How many guys have rode the pine because of their "future" ability through the years ? That is one of the things I like about Tomlin, you don't produce or take advantage of your chance and he lets the dead weight go. Burnett showed a glimps here and there but, he never did much or anything against the number ones that I recall. He was just okay against the threes and fours. Glad he is gone.

I disagree. Even though I did not perceive him as a likely future starting corner, I thought he showed promise as a nickel back. At the present time, Ike and BMac are starters with Gay as a nickel back. In the future, I could have seen Lewis and Butler as potential future starters with Burnett as a nickel back.

aggiebones
09-07-2010, 03:52 PM
I agree. If Gay or BMac don't elevate their games, then they will get expensive as nickle and dime guys. At that point, moving to someone like Burnett as the nickle might be a good option and much cheaper under the cap. But keeping him was too costly. It was a flux year at the position and we couldn't keep both. If someone gets hurt soon, he'll get a call. I don't think he was that far off the mark of Gay to Butler. I think the play Gay made in the preseason to make that pick may have given him the nod.

fezziwig
09-07-2010, 03:53 PM
I agree but I also believe Burnett will never amount to a starting corner or a starting corner that is good.