PDA

View Full Version : Dennis Dixon named Starter for the Season Opener!

cfc107
09-06-2010, 03:11 PM
The Steelers page on Facebook just announced it. Thoughts?

steelblood
09-06-2010, 03:16 PM

It is going to be a tough game. Atlanta's D is healthy, young and improving (they added Dunta Robinson and drafted Sean Weatherspoon this offseason). Out tackles will have their hands full with Abraham and Bierman. Their offense and special teams are very solid.

Flasteel
09-06-2010, 03:16 PM
Need a confirmation on this. So far...<crickets>.

eniparadoxgma
09-06-2010, 03:21 PM
Need a confirmation on this. So far...<crickets>.

I can confirm that the Steelers Facebook page announced it about 20 minutes ago.

proudpittsburgher
09-06-2010, 03:30 PM
Honestly, there are good and bad things to say about either starter, but I really wanted the Steelers to play this a bit closer to the vest. Keep Atlanta guessing as to who they need to prepare for. Why help them?

JPbucco
09-06-2010, 03:32 PM
Trib has it now.

Good.

Flasteel
09-06-2010, 03:41 PM
Well, if it's official, then I'm officially calling it a stupid move. Not so much for the choice at quarterback, but if nothing else, make Atlanta prepare for both. Who knows...maybe Dixon will get the start, but we still see Batch in there as well. Maybe that's the plan and they're trying to throw Atlanta off. Hmmm...

Genius move! :tt2

Crash
09-06-2010, 03:49 PM
I can't see Dixon having a quick hook this week. If he would they would just start Batch.

Shawn
09-06-2010, 03:56 PM
Thank you Steelers for being sane! Thank you!

Discipline of Steel
09-06-2010, 04:02 PM
Dixon's removal from the Panther game after one TD pass was a key clue. It was to protect him. If they were interested in giving prep time to Charlie Batch, he would prob have thrown more than 4 passes in 2 1/2 quarters. "Just get us safely out of this game Charlie." Also gave them a chance for another long look at Dwyer.

Snatch98
09-06-2010, 04:58 PM

It is going to be a tough game. Atlanta's D is healthy, young and improving (they added Dunta Robinson and drafted Sean Weatherspoon this offseason). Out tackles will have their hands full with Abraham and Bierman. Their offense and special teams are very solid.

The Atlanta defense isn't as strong as the Baltimore defense and Dixon did fine without a heavy dose of training camp preparation. I think that once Dixon is in there and his nerves settle he'll really come in to his own. I think it's unfair to use the Denver game where everything is very vanilla against him. His first INT's was simply a pass with a poor touch put on it and I missed the second one. (I had my fantasy football draft during the game so I was distracted)

Add in the fact that we have a much improved center and Flozell is apparently getting the grasp of the RT position. Dixon will be just fine. The defense and Mendenhall will also be able to take a good bit of the load. I'm glad Dixon is getting his due.

kiwi_sarah
09-06-2010, 05:01 PM
Really? We announce these things on Facebook now?

Good luck DD! Kinda wish it hadn't been announced so early, that's a lot of prep time for the falcons - but, what will be, will be. It's a strange set of circumstances that led us to this - there's nothing to do now but wish the kid all the luck in the world, no matter who you may wish was starting ahead of him.

Pahn711
09-06-2010, 05:17 PM
Personally, I want a guy in there who is fast enough to evade the rush. If our QB sack history is any indication, this is the right move. I'm just hoping they keep the playbook simple.

Snatch98
09-06-2010, 05:20 PM
Personally, I want a guy in there who is fast enough to evade the rush. If our QB sack history is any indication, this is the right move. I'm just hoping they keep the playbook simple.

I'm not saying throw the playbook at him but he's not a rookie and he certainly should know the offense by now. It's just a matter of making the throws. I think he'll be fine.

Relentless7
09-06-2010, 05:22 PM

There is no choice BUT to keep the playbook simple.

Pahn711
09-06-2010, 05:24 PM

I'm not saying throw the playbook at him but he's not a rookie and he certainly should know the offense by now. It's just a matter of making the throws. I think he'll be fine.

If our defense is back in shape with Polamalu, I'd rather they take the conservative approach on offense and limit DD's opportunities to throw ints. If you look at the game he started in Baltimore last year, he did a great job until there was alot of pressure on him in overtime.

Snatch98
09-06-2010, 05:27 PM
I agree. My point and my previous point was/is that he's had a entire training camp/preseason to prepare for the possibility of a start during this 4 game stint. We have to believe that is going to help calm his nerves after the initial "I'm starting for the Pittsburgh Steelers" wears off. Once he settles down he should do just fine but I also don't think they are going to throw everything at him in a hurry.

SteelCrazy
09-06-2010, 05:37 PM
It took all preseason...and an injury to name a 4 game starter...not really rushing it

Chadman
09-06-2010, 05:43 PM
Hmm...Chadman would have picked Batch, but if Dixon is the choice- so be it. It is possibly the decision that dictates how the Steelers travel this season- if they lose more than 2 of the games without Ben, it really puts them behind in the division & then requires some excellent play & a bit of luck to come out on top by season's end.

Hopefully the defense is on.

Hopefully the RB's can generate a good ground game.

Have to win the turnover battle.

Come on DD...

DanRooney
09-06-2010, 06:07 PM
I hope Dixon comes out throwing. Something safe like screen passes to Ward and then we eventually commit more to the run. We cannot play with the same gameplan of running on first and second down and letting Dixon try to convert a 3rd and 14. Ben is the only QB in the league that can consistently do this.

fezziwig
09-06-2010, 06:19 PM
Another briliant move to start a guy with hardly no experience, can't read the defense, can't find the open receivers, has happy feet and throws interceptions.
I just hope he has a short leash.

Stewie
09-06-2010, 06:20 PM
What Coach said:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/pittsburgh-st ... _headlines (http://www.nfl.com/videos/pittsburgh-steelers/09000d5d81a505af/Dixon-to-start?module=HP_headlines)

fezziwig
09-06-2010, 06:26 PM
Pillsbury has a new food product called, "Dixon Turnovers."

Djfan
09-06-2010, 06:31 PM
The leadership at Atl can't be too stupid. They are preparing for both.

IMO, it doesn't matter who starts. We will see both. I am hoping that the scarecrow we have for OC ("If I only had a brain....") uses both of them on the same play a few times.

Keep the D guessing.

aggiebones
09-06-2010, 06:46 PM
Hmm, there were benefits to either starter being named. Dixon is athletic. We'll see if that is enough. I still think Batch with an increasing dose of Dixon was a better option. Now if you have to yank Dixon, then he's shot. I think increasing Dixon's PT was a better option forcing defenses to concentrate on both. Then if Dixon had been doing well, give him games 3&4. This is a sink or swim thing and I don't think it was necessary.
He's not a very good QB. That we've seen. He can move, no doubt, but after about 20 plays, he is exposed. I have a feeling this could be a VERY rough 4 weeks before Ben comes back. 4 weeks is a long time. We can't hide his inefficiencies that long like we did in Baltimore last year for 1.5 quarters.

Captain Lemming
09-06-2010, 06:49 PM

I was thinking the same thing.
In fact, let me add, how exactly does one "prepare" for Batch anyway.

Just be prepared for Dixons propensity to run no matter who starts.

Batch is just a very plain regular backup QB with so special skills.

These guys prepare for Batch everyday, its called practice.

DanRooney
09-06-2010, 07:39 PM
Weren't some of you calling for Dennis Dixon to be our future QB 4 months ago? lol most Steeler fans have no clue about the quarterback position. The same applies to those of you who want Batch to start. He's thrown picks in every single game he's been in since 2006. This is not the same team. Batch is a playaction quarterback. It was fine when we were playing Billy Ball but we have Arians as our OC now.

frankthetank1
09-06-2010, 08:59 PM
Weren't some of you calling for Dennis Dixon to be our future QB 4 months ago? lol most Steeler fans have no clue about the quarterback position. The same applies to those of you who want Batch to start. He's thrown picks in every single game he's been in since 2006. This is not the same team. Batch is a playaction quarterback. It was fine when we were playing Billy Ball but we have Arians as our OC now.

do fans of other nfl teams no more about the qb position than steeler fans? i dont think that is true at all. i dont think anyone really believed that dixon was a future franchise qb, especially when we already have an elite qb. if anything most dixon supporters were hoping for a matt cassell situation where 4 games could land the steelers a good draft pick. personally i am on the fence with batch and dixon. they are both average for different reasons, but i think you have to go with the better athlete.

Djfan
09-06-2010, 09:04 PM
if anything most dixon supporters were hoping for a matt cassell situation where 4 games could land the steelers a good draft pick.

Don't know if most were, but I am. I think that there are so few legit QBs in the league that there are teams who will pull the trigger on a DD trade for picks, players or both.

There will be a few QBs coming out of the draft in the next few years that we don't have to worry about it.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
09-06-2010, 10:30 PM

do fans of other nfl teams no more about the qb position than steeler fans? i dont think that is true at all. i dont think anyone really believed that dixon was a future franchise qb, especially when we already have an elite qb. if anything most dixon supporters were hoping for a matt cassell situation where 4 games could land the steelers a good draft pick. personally i am on the fence with batch and dixon. they are both average for different reasons, but i think you have to go with the better athlete.

Frank, I think that the four months ago that he is talking about occured right after the Ben "situation" when fans were calling for him to be traded, cut, shot, and many other things.

For many the QB solution was Dixon who would take over for Ben immediately as we basked in the glory of the seventh round pick that he got for us.

winwithd
09-06-2010, 11:31 PM
I am glad to see DD finally get his shot. I think his first pick in Denver was not a lack of knowledge of the playbook but DD trying to do too much to impress. He should have just thrown it away.

Yes there will be growing pains but there will also be big plays too. DD played well enough against Baltimore last year to give us a 4th quarter lead. With a healthy Troy and Smith maybe that game doesn't go to overtime and we win. Beside BB was the starter up until that Saturday. Dixon has more time to prepare this time and HOPEFULLY BA will come up with some wrinkles to utilize DD's athleticism (at least he has more time to think about it). I think if they had used Dixon's legs more in that Baltimore game we'd have been up by more and that game never goes overtime. I think Dixon is more likely to get hurt but trying to stay in the pocket anyway. He's been running for years.

If I am wrong, you can say whatever you like. I think Dixon gives us a better chance to win. All this negativity makes you sound like Iggles fans (I live near Harrisburg so I hear plenty of them.) I trust the coaches.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know the situation where Dixon injured his knee in college? Was it while throwing from the pocket, like Brady and Palmer, or something freaky like with Troy? Or out in the open field?

fordfixer
09-06-2010, 11:51 PM
I am glad to see DD finally get his shot. I think his first pick in Denver was not a lack of knowledge of the playbook but DD trying to do too much to impress. He should have just thrown it away.

Yes there will be growing pains but there will also be big plays too. DD played well enough against Baltimore last year to give us a 4th quarter lead. With a healthy Troy and Smith maybe that game doesn't go to overtime and we win. Beside BB was the starter up until that Saturday. Dixon has more time to prepare this time and HOPEFULLY BA will come up with some wrinkles to utilize DD's athleticism (at least he has more time to think about it). I think if they had used Dixon's legs more in that Baltimore game we'd have been up by more and that game never goes overtime. I think Dixon is more likely to get hurt but trying to stay in the pocket anyway. He's been running for years.

If I am wrong, you can say whatever you like. I think Dixon gives us a better chance to win. All this negativity makes you sound like Iggles fans (I live near Harrisburg so I hear plenty of them.) I trust the coaches.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know the situation where Dixon injured his knee in college? Was it while throwing from the pocket, like Brady and Palmer, or something freaky like with Troy? Or out in the open field?

Dixon, Oregon's gifted starting quarterback, hurt his left knee on an option play in the first quarter. He crumpled to the turf without being touched and took Oregon's national championship hopes with him.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/c ... on160.html (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/collegesports/2004017486_oregon160.html)

Flasteel
09-07-2010, 12:07 AM

IMO, it doesn't matter who starts. We will see both. I am hoping that the scarecrow we have for OC ("If I only had a brain....") uses both of them on the same play a few times.

Keep the D guessing.

You would think, but I'd imagine they are planning alot more heavily on the challenges Dixon brings to the table, as well as the best ways to exploit him following this "announcement". Regardless, I think we should be seeing a healthy dose of both quarterbacks, just to maximize their skill sets.

If Dixon shows that he can make plays and limit the mistakes, I think he becomes the defacto starter until Ben gets back...getting all the snaps. If he struggles, we need to see more of Batch, and eventually lefty, with Dixon still getting some packages.

I share the same skepticism as you do with BA. I wonder how much of his play-calling against Baltimore last year was framed by the QB situation, or how much of it was his typical unimaginitive brain. I hope he opens the playbook to a degree, but also tailors some packages and plays to maximize the damage DD can inflict.

Give the monkey enough bananas and maybe he can figure it out. :tt2

winwithd
09-07-2010, 12:17 AM
Thanks Fordfixer.

This is my first source for Steelers info. I really appreciate it. You guys come up with some really awesome stuff.

BTW, I think we go 3-1 to start and 12-4 overall.

fordfixer
09-07-2010, 12:21 AM
Thanks Fordfixer.

This is my first source for Steelers info. I really appreciate it. You guys come up with some really awesome stuff.

BTW, I think we go 3-1 to start and 12-4 overall.

Your welcome :tt1