PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Sign Eight to Practice Squad

fordfixer
09-06-2010, 09:21 AM
Steelers Sign Eight to Practice Squad
http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/ ... ce7cb34bce (http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Steelers-Sign-Eight-to-Practice-Squad/80bfc5ec-0341-48aa-ab32-5ace7cb34bce)

The Steelers signed eight first or second-year players to their practice squad today. All eight players were with the team during this summerís training camp, but were released during final roster cuts.

The players added to the Steelers practice squad include: TE Eugene Bright, OG Dorian Brooks, S DaíMon Cromartie-Smith, WR Tyler Grisham, OT Kyle Jolly, DT Steve McLendon, FB Frank Summers and DE Doug Worthington.

Clubs were able to sign up to eight players to their practice squad beginning at noon on Sunday, Sept. 5. Players are eligible for an NFL practice squad position if they have less than a cumulative eight games of NFL experience on a 53-man active roster. Players may only be eligible for a single teamís practice squad for up to three seasons.

phillyesq
09-06-2010, 09:24 AM
From the official site:

TE Eugene Bright, OG Dorian Brooks, S DaíMon Cromartie-Smith, WR Tyler Grisham, OT Kyle Jolly, DT Steve McLendon, FB Frank Summers and DE Doug Worthington.

No big surprises here. I would have liked to see Harris, but I wonder if he refused to sign with them again? If I remember, last year, he choose Carolina's PS over the Steelers, was added to their roster, cut, and then claimed by the Steelers. I remember it being something to do with him preferring the opportunity in a 4-3.

Lebsteel
09-06-2010, 09:34 AM
Out of those eight I am most excited about the potential of Dorian Brooks. He is very athletic and hopefully he can about 10 lbs (muscle) this year and compete for the RG spot vacated by Essex. Also, I am glad to see Worthington on the list. I believe he has some solid potential as well.

Sugar
09-06-2010, 10:01 AM
I wonder if they will continue to try and turn Tank into a blocker? He was never really a blocking back in school, he was a runner, but they gave him no carries. I guess I thought that they were going to try and use him as a hammer on the inside, but maybe his skillset just doesn't work here?

Oviedo
09-06-2010, 10:18 AM
I wonder if they will continue to try and turn Tank into a blocker? He was never really a blocking back in school, he was a runner, but they gave him no carries. I guess I thought that they were going to try and use him as a hammer on the inside, but maybe his skillset just doesn't work here?

Don't try to make him something he isn't. Let him carry the ball and see if he can step in next year and compete against Moore, Redman and Dwyer.

AkronSteel
09-06-2010, 10:45 AM
I'm just glad that Worthington was able to be kept. The guy probably should have made the team anyway but the QB situation lent itself out to where there just weren't enough spots to go around. I like the fact that Grisham also stayed. Knock on wood....but we never know how long Hines is going to last!! Overall I think there is a very solid set of 61 guys here and a team that can compete well into January and maybe further.

grotonsteel
09-06-2010, 10:55 AM
No Al Wood???

I thought he was signed by Steelers on PS?

I am excited what Worthington will do next year.

Sugar
09-06-2010, 12:16 PM

Don't try to make him something he isn't. Let him carry the ball and see if he can step in next year and compete against Moore, Redman and Dwyer.

When he was drafted we needed a pile-mover and that's what I thought he would be. Redman now seems to have that rep, so I'm not sure what Summers brings if they aren't going to run him. It's obvious the guy can't block and they don't give him any carries to see if he can run, so what's the point?

Stewie
09-06-2010, 12:30 PM

When he was drafted we needed a pile-mover and that's what I thought he would be. Redman now seems to have that rep, so I'm not sure what Summers brings if they aren't going to run him. It's obvious the guy can't block and they don't give him any carries to see if he can run, so what's the point?

I agree, what's the point?

papillon
09-06-2010, 12:39 PM
Burnett? Or, was he ineligible? Picked up by another team?

Pappy

Sugar
09-06-2010, 12:43 PM
Burnett? Or, was he ineligible? Picked up by another team?

Pappy

I don't believe he was eligible as he'd already aquired a year of experience.

cfc107
09-06-2010, 01:01 PM

How about they want to make sure Dwyer lives up to his potential and continues to work hard to develop that potential instead of slacking off again and only be a 2 preseason game wonder. How about they realized they screwed up trying to make him a fullback and never gave him a fair shot to develop as a runner and the practice squad will allow him to do that.

calmkiller
09-06-2010, 01:09 PM

How about they want to make sure Dwyer lives up to his potential and continues to work hard to develop that potential instead of slacking off again and only be a 2 preseason game wonder. How about they realized they screwed up trying to make him a fullback and never gave him a fair shot to develop as a runner and the practice squad will allow him to do that.

Frank is that you?

steelblood
09-06-2010, 03:07 PM
Frank is a bowling ball type runner. We already have two. That is enough.

The Steelers think so much of Frank's running skills that he has received less than 10 carries combined in two preseasons. And, we all know Frank will never be an exceptional lead blocker. This is a wasted roster spot.