PDA

View Full Version : "Claiming" strategy??

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-05-2010, 06:20 PM
Hearing that Urbik (Bills) and Bailey (Titans) got claimed ...

how exactly does that work? Does that mean that those teams had to cut someone today, in addition to the cuts they made yesterday?

More to the point ... if we claimed someone, we'd have to cut someone right?

Haven't read much on the board about WHO we would cut if we claimed someone, so maybe I'm not understanding this right -

any help ... thanks!!

SteelHoss
09-05-2010, 06:33 PM

how exactly does that work? Does that mean that those teams had to cut someone today, in addition to the cuts they made yesterday?

Haven't read much on the board about WHO we would cut if we claimed someone, so maybe I'm not understanding this right -

any help ... thanks!!

The way I understand it any player that is claimed will have to be signed to the claiming team's 53! No more PS for Urbik for right now anyway.

phillyesq
09-05-2010, 06:35 PM

any help ... thanks!!

Players with less than 4 years of service (like Bailey and Urbik) must pass through waivers. If claimed, they are assigned to the team that claimed them. I'm not 100% sure how waiver priority is established, but I believe, at this point in the season, it is the same order as the draft (i.e., reverse order of records).

The Steelers could claim anybody out there, but if they did so, they'd have to cut somebody.

Relentless7
09-05-2010, 06:37 PM
Schefter Reports:

The Lions have claimed Stefan Logan.

To make room they released Dennis Northcutt.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-05-2010, 07:53 PM
Thanks, guys.

So can it be assumed that we drafted better than most, since it looks like we let a lot of people go that other teams want (more than vice versa)?

aggiebones
09-05-2010, 10:02 PM
Is it correct that if they want to move this player to their PS, then we'd have first right to do so.
That said Buffalo would hold onto Urbik, no doubt.

phillyesq
09-05-2010, 10:39 PM
Is it correct that if they want to move this player to their PS, then we'd have first right to do so.
That said Buffalo would hold onto Urbik, no doubt.

I don't think you can just assign somebody to a practice squad. I believe the players are FAs, free to sign on any PS they choose, and that most end up with the team they spent camp with with because they're familiar with the team and vice versa.

aggiebones
09-07-2010, 02:05 PM
I don't think that's true.
Not positive. But if we WANT them, we have first rights to our PS. Now if we don't want them, I think they can go to another PS.
Someone that knows for sure, please correct me.

Slapstick
09-07-2010, 02:25 PM
Any player with less than four years of experience must be waived and clear waivers before they can be signed to ANY practice squad, provided that they are PS eligible...

For the players' union, the priority is to get players on an active roster...as previously stated, the waiver priority is by draft order...any team can claim a player off the waiver wire, but the team with the worst record has the priority...

Once a player clears the waiver wire, they are free to sign with any practice squad for which they receive an offer...not necessarily the team that released them...

A player can be signed off of another team's practice squad, but that player must then be placed on the signing team's 53 man roster...the team that has the player signed to their PS has the right of first refusal, but must then place the PS player on their 53 man roster...

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-07-2010, 03:09 PM
Very helpful, guys, thanks.

Anyone know - do all PS players get the same salary, or can there be "bidding" wars among teams?

Relentless7
09-07-2010, 03:30 PM

Anyone know - do all PS players get the same salary, or can there be "bidding" wars among teams?

There's a minimum they have to get (not sure the number off the top of my head) but players can and do negotiate with teams to get more money.

phillyesq
09-07-2010, 03:33 PM

There's a minimum they have to get (not sure the number off the top of my head) but players can and do negotiate with teams to get more money.

I think the minimum for PS players is $5k per week. I also read somewhere that one of the quirks in the CBA is that PS players in the uncapped year get the difference between the PS salary and the NFL minimum salary if they stay on the PS of the team that drafted them.

So I think that Worthington may be getting the NFL minimum.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-07-2010, 03:58 PM

I think the minimum for PS players is $5k per week. I also read somewhere that one of the quirks in the CBA is that PS players in the uncapped year get the difference between the PS salary and the NFL minimum salary if they stay on the PS of the team that drafted them.

So I think that Worthington may be getting the NFL minimum.

You Philly, Esq., are the man with the facts! The Tom Hagen (consiglieri) of the Planet!