PDA

View Full Version : Urbik Claimed!

SteelHoss
09-05-2010, 06:16 PM
Bills claim Urbik........

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-billsmoves

fezziwig
09-05-2010, 06:58 PM
Thanks for the post. I also heard Patrick Bailey was signed by the Titans.

grotonsteel
09-05-2010, 07:02 PM
Stephan Logan to Detroit Lions

fezziwig
09-05-2010, 07:08 PM
What, no one signed the Tank ? People here acted like he was the second coming of Jerrome Bettis and the media mentioned him as one of the big name Steelers that was released. I thought this guy was a reach from the start. I'm sorry for every player that gets cut and hasn't fullfilled their NFL dreams. The Tank did nothing while he was here except for an injury. I have to give it to Tomlin, he's not affraid to get rid of someone that he brings on board if they dont work out.

Eddie Spaghetti
09-05-2010, 07:10 PM
Steelers resigned the Tank

fezziwig
09-05-2010, 07:14 PM
It better be to the PS. I'd rather see Wright on the team over the Tank and Vincent.

Eddie Spaghetti
09-05-2010, 07:26 PM
Yeah, PS.

sorry.

DukieBoy
09-05-2010, 07:49 PM
Maybe too late for Urbik (and almost too late for Hills), but firing Zierlein was one of the best off-season moves the Steelers made. Z failed to develop what he was given to work with, modest though that talent (like Urbik) may have been. Kugler is making improvements, I believe.

My $.02

JPbucco
09-05-2010, 11:12 PM
...and that piece of crap Essix is still on the team.

Chadman
09-05-2010, 11:14 PM

Chadman would take a long look at Chris White from Houston to possibly push/replace Essex...

hawaiiansteel
09-06-2010, 12:34 AM

Chadman would take a long look at Chris White from Houston to possibly push/replace Essex...

now that Hartwig is gone, Essex has become the weakest link...

http://www.jumpstartmypc.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/Weakest-Link.jpg

NJ-STEELER
09-06-2010, 01:48 AM
Guard Kraig Urbik was popular today. Sent to Bills off waivers from PIT, but Bengals, Jets, Broncos and Dolphins all put in claims.
http://twitter.com/ravensinsider

DanRooney
09-06-2010, 05:57 AM
Urbik is flat out garbage. He was a mediocre guard in college too. I really don't know why scouts were high on him in the first place. I'm from SA and and another poster from there and I were horrified at this draft class from the start. Nearly all of our picks - Urbik, Lewis, Burnett, Summers, Harris, Shipley - have made no impact whatsoever. The Summers and Shipley picks were hilarious from the start because they're just so bad.

That being said, thank God for Mike Wallace. He is the only star in that class and it will probably remain that way. Ziggy was a BPA type pick and does not fit our 3-4 scheme. He's too small to play end and will continue to solely be a training camp and OTA standout. I hope I'm wrong though.

steelblood
09-06-2010, 08:30 AM
For a guy named Dan Rooney, you sure have a negative outlook. :D

Oviedo
09-06-2010, 09:12 AM
What, no one signed the Tank ? People here acted like he was the second coming of Jerrome Bettis and the media mentioned him as one of the big name Steelers that was released. I thought this guy was a reach from the start. I'm sorry for every player that gets cut and hasn't fullfilled their NFL dreams. The Tank did nothing while he was here except for an injury. I have to give it to Tomlin, he's not affraid to get rid of someone that he brings on board if they dont work out.

It was mentioned in the PG this morning that the problem with the Tank is that they tried to force him to be something he is not and that is Dan Kreider. He is a runner not a blocker and I think if they stop with the FB experiment we may not have seen the last the Summers. They never gave him a carry in the preseason. I want to see what he can do with the ball in his hands.

Discipline of Steel
09-06-2010, 09:23 AM

It was mentioned in the PG this morning that the problem with the Tank is that they tried to force him to be something he is not and that is Dan Kreider. He is a runner not a blocker and I think if they stop with the FB experiment we may not have seen the last the Summers. They never gave him a carry in the preseason. I want to see what he can do with the ball in his hands.

I dont really care how he could maybe have carried the ball. We have four better players at RB in my estimation.

fezziwig
09-06-2010, 10:14 AM
The Tank reminds me of a Weeble that will fall down. Mark my words, with his running style he will topple over like a bowling pin when he receives contact.

aggiebones
09-06-2010, 10:23 AM
He was a POOR man's Carey Davis.

Entertaining small college player. The end.

fezziwig
09-06-2010, 10:33 AM
He was a POOR man's Carey Davis.

Entertaining small college player. The end.

That's the pits because Carey Davis was the pits in my opinion. I never could understand why Carey was on the team.

Shoe
09-07-2010, 01:19 PM

FYI--I never read a word in the posts you make, with that picture in your sig. I do view every one of them though.

RuthlessBurgher
09-07-2010, 01:57 PM

FYI--I never read a word in the posts you make, with that picture in your sig. I do view every one of them though.

That's okay...with the thick Australian accent that runs through your head when you read Chadman's posts, you can barely understand what he's saying anyway. :P

hawaiiansteel
09-07-2010, 03:21 PM
Urbik: One of Colbert's Biggest Draft Busts Ever?

by t1mmy10 on Sep 6, 2010

Yesterday, the Steelers cut guard Kraig Urbik and he was picked up off of waivers by the Bills (#9 in waiver order). Only a year ago, Urbik was the 79th overall draft (3rd round) pick in the 2009 NFL draft. Some might argue he was someone the Steelers would have liked to keep and was only a victim of a deep roster. Others can say he just wasn't cutting it and deserved to go. Regardless, he now joins a list of players most Steelers fans will cringe when they hear mentioned, along with the likes of Bruce Davis and Alonzo Jackson.

During Kevin Colbert's tenure as GM since 2000, Kraig Urbik is the highest draft pick cut 1 year after he was drafted. Remember how big of a bust we thought Bruce Davis was? Well, Urbik was drafted 9 spots higher. Here's a list of some of Colbert's biggest draft busts:

Note: I only included players that were cut soon after they were drafted & were drafted before the 5th round. "Soon" was based upon what round they were drafted in. I did not include players that were "busts," but the steelers kept around for a while hoping the player would become a contributor. I think there is a difference between "we don't think you're good enough or have enough potential to get a roster spot" and "you aren't any good right now, but we'll keep you around for another year because we think you have potential."

Biggest Cuts drafted earlier that year:
Danny Farmer- 2000, 4th Rd (103 overall)
Fred Gibson- 2005, 4th rd (131 overall)
Ryan McBean- 2007, 4th rd (132 overall)
Orien Harris- 2006, 4th rd (133 overall)

Biggest Cuts drafted 1 year earlier:
Kraig Urbik- 2009, 3rd rd (79 overall)
Bruce Davis- 2008, 3rd rd (88 overall)

Biggest Cuts drafted 2 years earlier:
Alonzo Jackson- 2003, 2nd rd (59 overall)
Willie Reid- 2006, 3rd rd (95 overall)
Mathias Nkwenti- 2001, 4th rd (111 overall) [side note: he made initial cuts, but was cut during the season]

Urbik is certainly right up there as one of Colbert's biggest disappointments. Overall though, Colbert hasn't had any HUGE mis-drafts and things could certainly be worse. Like how the Broncos just traded a player they drafted early 2nd round in 2009 for a backup TE...and traded a 1st rd 2010 draft pick to get the 2nd rd 2009 pick they used on the player.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/20 ... ts-biggest (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2010/9/6/1672537/urbik-one-of-colberts-biggest)