PDA

View Full Version : Lolley Says Charlie Is It!

SteelHoss
09-05-2010, 04:07 PM
NFL from the sidelines
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com ... arter.html (http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/2010/09/look-for-batch-to-be-starter.html)

Sunday, September 05, 2010
Look for Batch to be the starter
After thinking about it for the past couple of days, the Steelers appear to be ready to head into the regular season using their backup quarterbacks to Ben Roethlisberger the same way they had planned - with one exception.

It looks like they're leaning to substituting Charlie Batch for injured Byron Leftwich and use Dennis Dixon as a change of pace.

The move actually has some merit particularly since the Steelers feel Leftwich's knee injury will be more of the two to three-week variety. That could have him back in Week 2, with Week 3 at Tampa Bay being the better possibility.

They'll tell him to stay in the pocket and leave the scrambling to the kid.

If you remember, two of Batch's more recent injuries - a broken collar bone in a preseason game and a broken hand during a regular season start - came on him running with the ball or at least attempting a QB sneak.

The Steelers will drive home the point to Batch that he has to stay in the pocket and will emphasize a safe game plan that won't put him in a lot of jeopardy - if you can do that with a QB in an NFL game.
posted by Dale Lolley at 12:37 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JPbucco
09-05-2010, 04:21 PM
Charlie is toast.

1.Play your best players.
2.When Charlie goes down you have no back up.

I hate this idea!

Flasteel
09-05-2010, 04:23 PM
Charlie is toast.

I hate this idea!

1. This is the best solution we can go with. I like it.

2. If Batch does go down, then we still have Dixon.

The Man of Steel
09-05-2010, 04:27 PM
Charlie is toast.

I hate this idea!

1. This is the best solution we can go with. I like it.

2. If Batch does go down, then we still have Dixon.

......and Randel-El.

frankthetank1
09-05-2010, 05:54 PM
hard to debate this when dixon looked so horrible against an nfl starting defense. there is no comparison when it comes to who is the smarter qb. dixon is obviously a lot more athletic though.

aggiebones
09-05-2010, 06:16 PM
This could also be a false lead from the Steelers front office.

Since Lefty could be back in a couple weeks, it definitely is OK to work Batch. If he gets hurt, then Dixon goes and Lefty backs him up while healing.

Either way, if Dixon plays ewll in games 1 and 2, then he could get games 3/4. And frankly, he hasn't EARNED an F'in thing. He lost the job straight up to Lefty, which puts him as the 3rd best QB on the roster. Had Batch been given a chance, then Dixon may have been an obvious 4th. But Dixon obviously needed the reps, so Batch steps aside.

fezziwig
09-05-2010, 07:03 PM
I'm glad and sad at the same time they are going with Batch. Batch has the skills, smarts and experience to be the starter but, he cracks like an egg.

While watching I believe Super Bowl 40 it showed Charlie Batch at the game on crutches and street clothing. What was that injury about, does anyone remember ?

RuthlessBurgher
09-05-2010, 10:27 PM
I'm glad and sad at the same time they are going with Batch. Batch has the skills, smarts and experience to be the starter but, he cracks like an egg.

While watching I believe Super Bowl 40 it showed Charlie Batch at the game on crutches and street clothing. What was that injury about, does anyone remember ?

Batch was in uniform for SBXL. Below is a pic of Cowher grabbing Ben's jersey and about to playfully shove Ben when the championship was all but wrapped up (shortly before his Gatorade bath), and you can see Charlie on the field in full uniform.

Batch was in street clothes for SBXLIII (broken clavicle during preseason resulted in I.R. for him; that's when we brought in Leftwich the first time).

http://cache1.asset-cache.net/xc/56753479.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF878921F7C3FC3F69D929FD63E560F3A95AACA0 FF15C1343AA59601EDAB0ABF26887432

Stewie
09-06-2010, 06:21 PM
Lolley was wrong.

BradshawsHairdresser
09-06-2010, 10:32 PM
Lolley was wrong.

Yeah. Another strike against his credibility.