PDA

View Full Version : Lolley's PS Predictions

SteelHoss
09-04-2010, 06:18 PM
http://nflfrNFL from the sidelines
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Saturday, September 04, 2010
Hartwig among final cuts
The Steelers finalized their regular season roster today when they released 11 players, including former starting center Justin Hartwig, to reach the NFL’s 53-man limit.

Hartwig's release means the Steelers are comfortable with rookie Maurkice Pouncey as their starting center.

Also released were linebacker Patrick Bailey – a former team rookie of the year – cornerback Joe Burnett, safety Da’Mon Cromartie-Smith, wide receiver Tyler Grisham, defensive end Sunny Harris, wide receiver Stefan Logan, defensive tackle Steve McLendon, fullback Frank Summers, guard Kraig Urbik and defensive tackle Doug Worthington.

Expect Burnett, Grisham, Harris, Worthington and Cromartie-Smith to be headed to the practice squad.

The Steelers’ 53-man roster includes three quarterbacks, four running backs, three tight ends, six wide receivers, nine offensive linemen, six defensive linemen, nine linebackers, 10 defensive backs, one kicker, one punter and one long snapper.
posted by Dale Lolley at 5:00 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Eddie Spaghetti
09-04-2010, 06:46 PM
no room on the PS for Urbik?

how the mighty have fallen.

winwithd
09-04-2010, 11:21 PM
I thought I read somewhere that Burnett was not eligible for the PS. Is he eligible or not?

phillyesq
09-05-2010, 12:07 PM
In the comments, Lolley clarifies that Urbik is eligible for the PS, but doesn't think he'll be added. Said he projects primarily as a center, and the Steelers have enough at the position.

I'd really like to see Worthington, Burnett and Harris on the PS. I'd also like to see a FB brought in from outside the organization for the PS.

RuthlessBurgher
09-05-2010, 12:11 PM
In the comments, Lolley clarifies that Urbik is eligible for the PS, but doesn't think he'll be added. Said he projects primarily as a center, and the Steelers have enough at the position.

I'd really like to see Worthington, Burnett and Harris on the PS. I'd also like to see a FB brought in from outside the organization for the PS.

After cutting Hartwig, I wouldn't say we necessarily have enough at center. We have Pouncey and Legursky (with minimal experience between them) and no one else. I'd like to get a center on the practice squad, and if they see any promise in Urbik (who I thought improved in year 2), then I could see him sticking around on the P.S.

fordfixer
09-05-2010, 12:18 PM
Article XXXIV of the collective bargaining agreement outlines the rules. Teams are allowed to have eight practice squad players. A team cannot simply assign a fringe player to the practice squad. He must first be waived and go unclaimed by another club. The player then would become a free agent, not bound to sign a practice squad deal.

Players must meet one of the following criteria while previously not being on a practice squad more than two seasons:

* No accrued seasons of NFL experience.
* Free agents who were on an active roster for fewer than nine regular-season games during their accrued seasons.

A season on the practice squad constitutes three weeks. There are provisions for a third season on a practice squad.

Practice squad players remain free to sign with any other club (how the Buffalo Bills pried Brian Brohm from the Green Bay Packers) but must remain on his new team's 53-man roster unless cut.

Players make a minimum of $5,200 a week on the practice squad, but any terms can be negotiated.

Stewie
09-06-2010, 12:45 PM
I guess Lolly didn't know that Burnett is not eligible for the PS.