PDA

View Full Version : W. Parker to be released

anger 82&95
09-04-2010, 12:04 PM
Parker also is in the process of hiring a new agent, and many around the league believe he will select Peter Schaffer, who represented former Pittsburgh Steelers running back Jerome Bettis.

as per ESPN-http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5531095

Running back Willie Parker is changing teams and changing agents.

The Washington Redskins informed Parker on Saturday that he will be released, according to a league source.

The Redskins signed Parker in the spring to a one-year deal, telling him there would be an open competition for the starting job, with Larry Johnson, Clinton Portis and Ryan Torain also in the mix.

Parker, a Pro Bowler in 2006 and 2007, averaged 1,337 yards in three seasons for the Steelers from 2005 to 2007.

He became Pittsburgh's backup last season in his fifth full year as the Steelers turned to Rashard Mendenhall as their featured running back.

Parker finished 2009 with 389 yards on 98 carries.

Relentless7
09-04-2010, 12:14 PM
That's too bad. I've always liked FWP. I hope he hooks on somewhere at some point.

steelblood
09-04-2010, 12:33 PM
He's not FWP anymore, just WP.

fezziwig
09-04-2010, 01:12 PM
He was a good fit for the team and running outside while Mayhan was allowing the center of the line to fold. Hartwig wasn't exactly busting holes open for Parker either but, he was somewhat better than Mayhan. I wonder if Mayhan is still playing in the league ?

DukieBoy
09-04-2010, 01:19 PM
He was a good fit for the team and running outside while Mayhan was allowing the center of the line to fold. Hartwig wasn't exactly busting holes open for Parker either but, he was somewhat better than Mayhan. I wonder if Mayhan is still playing in the league ?

He's coaching youth league football in Bangladesh, I think.

DukieBoy
09-04-2010, 01:22 PM
And, thanks for the great memories, FWP. Let's not weaken them.

NJ-STEELER
09-04-2010, 01:47 PM
FWP

FormerlyFast Willie Parker

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-04-2010, 02:44 PM
Now that we have a right tackle who's undisputed great strength is run blocking/sealing the corner (Hotel), I wonder if FWP's skill set is a good match for the Steelers again (not like when Colon was there)?

:stirpot :stirpot

fordfixer
09-04-2010, 04:42 PM
Washington Redskins cut RB Willie Parker
04:23 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/Index

The Washington Redskins cut veteran RB Willie Parker on Saturday, ESPN and the Washington Post reported.

Parker was one of three big-name tailbacks on the roster, with incumbent Clinton Portis and Larry Johnson.

A two-time Pro Bowler with the Pittsburgh Steelers, Parker, 30, will now be a free agent. He rushed for just 389 yards last season with the Steelers.

ESPN reported that Parker is also changing agents.

-- Sean Leahy

anger 82&95
09-04-2010, 05:06 PM
Now that we have a right tackle who's undisputed great strength is run blocking/sealing the corner (Hotel), I wonder if FWP's skill set is a good match for the Steelers again (not like when Colon was there)?

:stirpot :stirpot
Somewhere, LVG is feverishly attempting to reinstate his status as a forum member.

fezziwig
09-04-2010, 07:50 PM
Parker seen the toll Arians offense was taking on him without Krieder. I think these today runningbacks are not going to last too long since most teams no longer use a blocking back.

I wish Willie well.

RuthlessBurgher
09-05-2010, 10:24 AM
I'm quite content with our RB corps of Mendenhall, Moore, Redman, and Dwyer...thank you very much.

The Man of Steel
09-05-2010, 12:00 PM
I think that if Willie Parker would have signed as a rookie FA with any other team but the Steelers that he would have gotten cut in training camp and his NFL career would have ended up being nothing more than a blip on the radar screen. The Steelers basically turned a nothing college RB into something NFL RB and Willie should be eternally grateful for that.

fezziwig
09-05-2010, 03:22 PM
I think that if Willie Parker would have signed as a rookie FA with any other team but the Steelers that he would have gotten cut in training camp and his NFL career would have ended up being nothing more than a blip on the radar screen. The Steelers basically turned a nothing college RB into something NFL RB and Willie should be eternally grateful for that.

I feel this way about Jeff Reed

BradshawsHairdresser
09-05-2010, 08:40 PM

I feel this way about Jeff Reed

In other words, you think that, without the Steelers, about all Reed would be kicking right now is bathroom towel dispensers?

RuthlessBurgher
09-05-2010, 10:03 PM
The Pittsburgh Steelers: We specialize in bringing in former Tar Heel UDFA's, giving them NFL jobs, and paying them millions of dollars. Just ask Willie Parker and Jeff Reed!

Did you play football at the University of North Carolina? Does no NFL team want you? Then call the Pittsburgh Steelers today! Operators are standing by... :lol: