PDA

View Full Version : Waiver Wire/PS Fits?...

Steel Life
09-04-2010, 10:24 AM
Cody Brown - OLB, UConn, 6'3" 244 lbs. - 2nd rnd. pick a year ago, seems a good fit for 3/4 OLB.

Jarrett Brown - QB, West Virginia, 63 219 lbs. - Inexperienced, but athletic & a great arm.

Khalif Mitchell - DL, ECU, 6'6" 306 lbs. - Big, strong but a poor fit for 4/3...possible 3/4 end?

Charles Scott - RB, LSU, 6' 238 lbs. - FB/TB tweener who can take the LSU PS spot from Vincent.

Rhett Bomar - QB, Sam Houston, 6'2" 225 lbs. - Played well this pre-season, has a good arm & is athletic.

Selvish Capers - OT, WV, 6'5" 298lbs. - Nice project for PS, good athleticism & feet for OL.

Myron Rolle - S, Fl. St., 6'2" 218 lbs. - Rhodes Scholar the Steelers were high on, good tools to work with, possibly a great PS pick-up.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
09-04-2010, 11:36 AM
Jarrett Brown - West Virginia, 63 219 lbs. - Like him for PS.

Khalif Mitchell - ECU, 6'6" 306 lbs. - Like him for PS.

Charles Scott - LSU, 6' 238 lbs. - Thought he was traded to Cardinals?

Here are some guys released early that I would consider bringing in on (53) or PS:

Al Afalava (53) - S Started as rookie for Bears. Teammate of Lewis at Oregon State. Think he would upgrade the S spot at Mundy's expense.

Herman Johnson (PS)- OL Cardinals parted ways with him. Weight issues but talent is there.

Adam Terry (53)- OT Colts rumored to want to bring him back after week 1. Good OT option to push Adams.

Some guys rumored to be released who I would consider for (53) or PS:

Stacy Andrews (53) - OL Looks like Eagles traded for his replacement. Not happy about that and rumored to be on his way out.

Carlton Mitchell (PS) - WR Had the dropsies in Browns camp. May be headed out. Stick him on the PS. Like his potential coming out. Steelers were interested in him too before draft.

Relentless7
09-04-2010, 12:51 PM
Cin. cut Matt Jones.

Mia. cut Pat White.

Not advocating either for the Steelers, just sharing.

NJ-STEELER
09-04-2010, 01:46 PM
wow, miami cut white?

wasn't he a 2nd rd pick last year?

boy does tomlin look like an idiot

Relentless7
09-04-2010, 02:10 PM
Glazer is reporting that Ariz. has informed Leinart they intend to release him.

Jay_Glazer

Matt leinart has been informed that he is being released today. Wiz to inform the media in an hr

Lonbull
09-04-2010, 02:30 PM
Add T.J. Houshmanzadeh to the list -

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5531522

My guess is that Pete Carroll is giving the young guys a chance to learn as he rebuilds the Seahawks - however T.J. was the surest thing he had at WR -

My guess is Leinart is on his way to Seattle as soon as the Cardinals drop him.

L.B.

jj28west
09-04-2010, 05:31 PM
The Steelers are stacked at WR but still lack a tall physical attacking the ball type receiver. Maybe Brandon London (6'4") could stay on the PS.

DukieBoy
09-04-2010, 07:13 PM
James Hardy got cut in Buffalo. 2nd round pick two years ago, thought he would be a stud.

Steel Life
09-04-2010, 07:49 PM
Add...
Jeff Owens (DT, UGA 6'3" 305) - Run Stopper with great motor.

Seth Olsen (OG, Iowa 6'5" 306) - Power blocker...McDaniels goofed in letting this guy go.

PSU_dropout43
09-04-2010, 08:15 PM
Jay Alford - a former Nittany Lion.

NJ-STEELER
09-04-2010, 08:34 PM
Jay Alford - a former Nittany Lion.

wow, thats a suprise

wonder if he can play 3-4 end

edit...didn't realize he was coming off a knee injury

Djfan
09-05-2010, 02:26 AM
Add...
Jeff Owens (DT, UGA 6'3" 305) - Run Stopper with great motor.

He was getting a lot of attention on this board IIRC.

jj28west
09-05-2010, 08:39 AM
What about this guy?

http://www.catscratchreader.com/2009/4/ ... on-gilbert (http://www.catscratchreader.com/2009/4/14/835046/holly-cow-this-is-jarron-gilbert)

If you google him he looked really good coming out of college. Maybe it was a numbers game but he is the same size as Brett with the Diesel' speed. Seems like a natural raw fit for a 3-4 DE.

RuthlessBurgher
09-05-2010, 09:54 AM
What about this guy?

http://www.catscratchreader.com/2009/4/ ... on-gilbert (http://www.catscratchreader.com/2009/4/14/835046/holly-cow-this-is-jarron-gilbert)

If you google him he looked really good coming out of college. Maybe it was a numbers game but he is the same size as Brett with the Diesel' speed. Seems like a natural raw fit for a 3-4 DE.

I was a huge Jarron Gilbert guy prior that draft. I thought he could be the prototypical 3-4 DE for us. I was really hoping that he would fall to us with the 64th pick in the 2nd round in all of my mocks that year. Well, he did, but we did not take him because we had already taken DE Ziggy Hood at #32. Instead, we traded our 2nd and 4th rounders to Denver for their 3 third rounders, and Jarron Gilbert went to the Bears shortly thereafter with the 4th pick in the 3rd round (didn't understand why they took him, since I did not see where he would fit in their 4-3...and it turns out he did not fit there). Instead, we took Kraig Urbik with the first of two Denver 3rd round picks ( :evil: ) but I can't argue about the trade too much because we got Mike Wallace with their others pick ( :Bow ).

In related Bears cut news, they also released former Penn State LB Tim Shaw, who was a board favorite once upon a time. He hasn't shown much as a LB so far in his NFL career, but he has been a special teams standout (30 ST tackles last year in Chicago). We can always use special teams demons considering our special teams woes, but I don't see a spot for him considering our decision to keep 9 LB's already (and I wouldn't be willing to give up on the promise of Stevenson Sylvester to get a special teamer like Shaw).

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
09-05-2010, 10:20 AM
As I said in another post, the Steelers scouted every Bears preseason game. Gilbert is a possibility. Maybe Afalava in place of Mundy. It will be interesting to see who the steelers had their eye on.

RuthlessBurgher
09-05-2010, 10:22 AM
As I said in another post, the Steelers scouted every Bears preseason game. Gilbert is a possibility. Maybe Afalava in place of Mundy. It will be interesting to see who the steelers had their eye on.

Gilbert did record 2 sacks in the preseason...Hmmm....

Steel Life
09-05-2010, 12:05 PM
Blair White - WR, Mich. St. - Hines tough, good hands, good speed.

Dre Moore - DT, UM - I think everybody had him on our roster coming out...not really cut out for Tampa defense.

RuthlessBurgher
09-05-2010, 12:08 PM
Blair White - WR, Mich. St. - Hines tough, good hands, good speed.

I like White, but we would not add him to our 53 man roster...and if he was going to go onto a practice squad, he'd likely prefer to stay in Indy, which seems like a really good situation for him (just got caught in a numbers game there, since they seem to be stacked with WR's right now).

Stewie
09-05-2010, 02:40 PM
Add T.J. Houshmanzadeh to the list -

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5531522

My guess is that Pete Carroll is giving the young guys a chance to learn as he rebuilds the Seahawks - however T.J. was the surest thing he had at WR -

My guess is Leinart is on his way to Seattle as soon as the Cardinals drop him.

L.B.

Good guess, but Seattle has no interest in Leinart.

steelblood
09-05-2010, 03:12 PM
You'd have to consider trying to find a place on the 53 man for Gilbert. At least give a hard push for a PS spot.

RuthlessBurgher
09-05-2010, 03:16 PM
You'd have to consider trying to find a place on the 53 man for Gilbert. At least give a hard push for a PS spot.

Can he long snap? :lol:

grotonsteel
09-05-2010, 07:00 PM
Any idea what is Steelers PS??

I thought they had like 24 hours?

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
09-05-2010, 08:08 PM
I think Gilbert is a system cut. He is just to upright-long player to be a tackle in the 4-3. I think hs only shot in this league will be a 3-4 DE.

BradshawsHairdresser
09-05-2010, 09:13 PM
As I said in another post, the Steelers scouted every Bears preseason game. Gilbert is a possibility.

That would help make sense of why they kept only 6 D-linemen (only one of whom is under age 30).

Chadman
09-05-2010, 10:50 PM
How about a guy like RG Chris White from Houston?

Played in a rotation with Antoine Caldwell last season, played decently, but Caldwell moved into the starting line-up fulltime this season, making White an expensive back-up.

Upgrade over Essex? Quite possibly- and at a decent price.

Chadman
09-05-2010, 10:52 PM
Dre Moore would be an interesting addition to the PS along with Harris & Worthington. If even only 1 of those guys goes on to make the 53 next season, it's a good investment.