PDA

View Full Version : So what does it mean for Pouncey?

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-03-2010, 06:57 PM
If we "lose" or trade Hartwig - is it a done deal, Pouncey starts at center? As a rookie, that's not the Steeler way!! :tt2

RuthlessBurgher
09-03-2010, 07:06 PM
He's the best player we have at center, so he plays.

As a rookie, Casey was the best player we had at NT, so he played.

As a rookie, Heathwas the best player we had at TE, so he played.

Relentless7
09-03-2010, 07:16 PM
Pouncey will be the first rookie to start the season opener on the O-Line since Kendall Simmons in 2003 I believe.

focosteeler
09-03-2010, 07:19 PM
He's the best player we have at center, so he plays.

As a rookie, Casey was the best player we had at NT, so he played.

As a rookie, Heathwas the best player we had at TE, so he played.

i had to sit and stare at "Heathwas" to figure out if we had a TE i didnt know about...then i figured it out :oops:

Discipline of Steel
09-03-2010, 07:22 PM
Actually i think it was Marvel Smith at RT in 2000.

fezziwig
09-03-2010, 07:25 PM
Pouncey is so good already I can hardly wait until he has a couple of season as our center, I'm betting he will be named to the pro bowl by his third season.

Relentless7
09-03-2010, 07:27 PM
Actually i think it was Marvel Smith at RT in 2000.

Why does it stick in my mind Kendall started for us as a rookie? Now I'll need to investigate.

Relentless7
09-03-2010, 07:32 PM
Blah. OK TECHNICALLY I was wrong. :lol:

Kendall Didn't start until week 2 against Oakland. So I was close for being off the top of my head, but you were right. Marvell Smith it is. I commend you.

Relentless7
09-03-2010, 07:33 PM

Kendall Didn't start until week 2 against Oakland. So I was close for being off the top of my head, but you were right. Marvell Smith it is. I commend you.

aggiebones
09-03-2010, 08:06 PM
Its not the Steeler way to make mistakes on a message board.
You are cut.

Discipline of Steel
09-03-2010, 09:10 PM

:moon

:P

:tt1

Relentless7
09-03-2010, 10:02 PM
Its not the Steeler way to make mistakes on a message board.
You are cut.

That sucks. There hasn't been such a high draft pick to disappoint as bad as me since Limas Sweed. I take solace in the wise words of Ryan Clark from Twitter:

If you didn"t make a team. Just know I sat across from Tom Coughlin as he said I couldnt play safety in this league.They aren't always right

I feel like I am good enough to contribute to someone's message board.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
09-03-2010, 11:17 PM
Don't tell anyone....

Pouncey may be the Steelers best OL. And if you don't believe it now....You will after Ben comes back and plays some games taking the snaps from Pouncey.

ALLD
09-04-2010, 10:50 AM
1. Mike Webster
2. Dermontti Dawson

?3. Maurkice Pouncey

Shoe
09-04-2010, 10:54 AM
Pouncey is so good already I can hardly wait until he has a couple of season as our center, I'm betting he will be named to the pro bowl by his third season.

He is a stud--it is plainly apparent. I would be disappointed if he is not (a PB'r by then).

Shawn
09-04-2010, 11:00 AM
Pouncey will be the first rookie to start the season opener on the O-Line since Kendall Simmons in 2003 I believe.

He will be the first rookie to ever start at center in Pittsburgh I believe as well.

focosteeler
09-04-2010, 11:28 AM
this may be a little early but based on how he has been so far already i would have no problem taking his brother next year

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
09-04-2010, 11:40 AM
I wouldn't be disappointd with that....And it wouldn't surprise me if that did happen if Colon is retained.

I mean come on...Is it safe to say we will have a "pretty good" idea of what Mike Pouncey would give us? Hmmm...Twins? How far can the apple fall from the tree?

Shawn
09-04-2010, 12:06 PM
this may be a little early but based on how he has been so far already i would have no problem taking his brother next year

Yup...his brother in 2011.

isonator07
09-04-2010, 12:07 PM
Eli-----Peyton i'd say pretty far. :lol:

birtikidis
09-04-2010, 12:29 PM
He's playing center today and he's not looking to hot.

Discipline of Steel
09-04-2010, 12:32 PM
He's playing center today and he's not looking to hot.

No hes not. Justy gave up the ball with a low snap. But we wont ask him to play center anyway...got that covered :Clap

birtikidis
09-04-2010, 02:02 PM
Gators need to move Mike back to guard.

Shawn
09-04-2010, 02:11 PM
Mike appears to be a very good guard and very bad center. Works out ok for the Steelers.

birtikidis
09-04-2010, 02:23 PM
true shawn, but they are killing his draft stock.. of course.. maybe jenkins in the first and pouncey n the 2nd?

Shoe
09-04-2010, 03:17 PM
Mike appears to be a very good guard and very bad center. Works out ok for the Steelers.

Seriously, what is up with him? It's not like they threw him in there haphazardly; he's had all this off-season to work on this...

birtikidis
09-04-2010, 03:22 PM

Seriously, what is up with him? It's not like they threw him in there haphazardly; he's had all this off-season to work on this...
he was having trouble in the spring with high snaps. it looks like his problem is that he's trying to pull BEFORE he finishes his snap motion. When he pulled he was pretty brutal.

Relentless7
09-04-2010, 03:26 PM
He was absolutely horrid in that game. Holtz and May just tore him up on ESPN's post game. Granted this was the first game I've ever "focused" on him playing... but at this point I'd rather draft Tyrone Carter's brother than Maurkice's.

And I don't even know if Carter's brother is out of jail yet.

birtikidis
09-04-2010, 04:19 PM
He was absolutely horrid in that game. Holtz and May just tore him up on ESPN's post game. Granted this was the first game I've ever "focused" on him playing... but at this point I'd rather draft Tyrone Carter's brother than Maurkice's.

And I don't even know if Carter's brother is out of jail yet.
Mike's play at center doesn't mean anything to me. we have our center. we need a guard. i know what mike can do at guard. He's actually a better player than his brother. just not at center.

RuthlessBurgher
09-05-2010, 11:17 AM
Eli-----Peyton i'd say pretty far. :lol:

Eli and Peyton don't share the exact same DNA like Mike and Maurkice do, though.

Think Vancouver Canucks' Henrik and Daniel Sedin (if you follow hockey at all). They are each individually very good players, but playing next to each other, with all of the chemistry they have from being together their entire lives, they are even that much greater. The same could hold true for a Pouncey brothers reunion in the NFL (since RG is our weakest position on the OL, and Mike played RG quite well for the Gators last year next to his twin brother at center).

RuthlessBurgher
09-05-2010, 11:19 AM
1. Mike Webster
2. Dermontti Dawson

?3. Maurkice Pouncey

I'd go...

1. Dermontti Dawson
2. Mike Webster
3. Ray Mansfield
4. Jeff Hartings
5? Maurkice Pouncey
873. Justin Hartwig
874. Chukki Okobi
875. Sean Mahan

Captain Lemming
09-06-2010, 11:09 AM
true shawn, but they are killing his draft stock.. of course.. maybe jenkins in the first and pouncey n the 2nd?

Who cares?
I don't want him to be the number one center in the draft.
We want him as a guard anyway.

If Maurkice has the season we hope for, and his twin is just as good at center, Mike goes higher in the draft than Maurkice did. We have no shot at him.

Killing his draft stock is exactly what you want from a Steeler perspective.

birtikidis
09-06-2010, 12:10 PM

Who cares?

If Maurkice has the season we hope for, and his twin is just as good at center, Mike goes higher in the draft than Maurkice did. We have no shot at him.

I'm sure Mike cares.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
09-06-2010, 12:40 PM
1. Mike Webster
2. Dermontti Dawson

?3. Maurkice Pouncey

I would also throw Jeff Hatings in there. He wasn't there as long as Webby or Dirt, but he was solid for us while he was here.

Captain Lemming
09-06-2010, 01:04 PM

Who cares?

I'm sure Mike cares.

But Mike does not come from "a Steeler perspective" yet. :lol:
I'm sure Mike would like to be the first player picked in the entire draft too.
But as a Steeler fan,I am not in the least bit interested in what's best for Mike until he becomes a Steeler.

If moving him to a wrong position makes him available to us, I'm all for it.

I hope he has trouble with snaps for the rest of the year. :lol:

birtikidis
09-06-2010, 01:13 PM
well, capt, i kinda know the guy (just a real little bit, from a mutual friend), so, i'm kinda pulling for him. would love him to be a steeler but, hate that he's getting hosed.

Captain Lemming
09-06-2010, 01:29 PM
well, capt, i kinda know the guy (just a real little bit, from a mutual friend), so, i'm kinda pulling for him. would love him to be a steeler but, hate that he's getting hosed.

I get that. It makes sense from your POV

I'm sure you understand that for most here, our interest is in biding able to draft the guy.

Its selfish but I can at least "pretend" to care about Mike.

Let me try to Spin it...
Sure he might lose a few million dollars. But for these closer than close twin brothers to be separated just for money!?

I just want to see these two dear twin brothers "reunited" working side by side and enjoy multiple championships together. That is something that money cannot buy and is truly a beautiful thought. :lol:

birtikidis
09-06-2010, 02:30 PM
I like the way you think cap'n
you know, if mike falls to the second round... he can always borrow some coin from his brother... lol

Captain Lemming
09-06-2010, 02:48 PM
I like the way you think cap'n
you know, if mike falls to the second round... he can always borrow some coin from his brother... lol

And don't forget if he is a Steeler he can just stay with Markice the brothers can be "roomies" allowing Mike to use his minute million dollar signing bonus on other "necessities" like a fully tricked out black and gold Hummer. :lol: