PDA

View Full Version : The Case for TJ Houshmandzadeh

Steelskin
09-03-2010, 04:10 PM
Amongst the Matt Leinart talk, I figured I'd dabble with a suggestion of my own: former Cincinnati receiver TJ Houshmandzadeh.

As many of us know, the longtime Bungle became a free agent last offseason after a rather bitter divorce with the team. The reality was, however, Houshmandzadeh was not in the same class as Randy Moss contrary to his belief. He waited longer than most free agents before signing a fat 5-year/$40 million dollar contract with the Seattle Seahawks.

Unfortunately, for both parties involved, this had the makings of a disaster before the ink dried. The Seahawks were a lesser team than the Bengals in every regard, the Jim Mora Jr. era was beginning (to end) and he was set to be the number one receiver--something he never was or ever will be (not necessarily a bad thing, more on that later).

Lo and behold, Matt Hasselbeck proved to be even further gone than Carson Palmer, Pete Carroll replaced Mora and Housh was limited to rather low numbers on the year. Now, with talk of his impending release, the question is raised; should we take a flier?

Before I even get started with my argument, let me begin by saying that I would encourage such an acquisition ONLY in the event of a release. I would NOT support a trade for Houshmandzadeh and his current contract.

Now that that's out of the way, let's get started.

If we were able to sign Houshmandzadeh, his role would be as our #3 (slot) receiver. This is where he would be best suited, given his penchant for holding onto the ball for solid gains. It's my belief that in Seattle (and even in Cincinnati), Housh was simply asked to do too much. Sure, he was one of the better #2's in the league, but he's proven himself to be a top 3 slot man.

At this current time, Ward and Wallace are locked in as our one and two, but the picture painted beyond them isn't so clear. Arnaz Battle and Antwaan Randle El are reliable, but have proven to have been nothing special these past few years, while Emmanual Sanders is clearly a project.

Houshmandzadeh has shown slight signs of decline at age 33, but in a case of relativity, he's still far better than the options we have beyond Ward and Wallace. Last season, with the platoon of Matt Hasselbeck and Seneca Wallace, he duplicated the previous year's ~900 yds and 3 tds (with Carson Palmer and Ryan Fitzpatrick). It's no doubt the men throwing him the ball have reeked of mediocrity and it's worth mentioning that 900 yards is a mark he hasn't fallen under for 6 straight years. That's impressive.

So now we have to ask ourselves; isn't that better than what Randle El and Battle could offer us? Definitely!

The only pause for hesitation is in regards to Houshmandzadeh's special team value; none. If we were to acquire Houshmandzadeh, it would be my guess that Antonio Brown would be shown the door, leaving us with:

Ward
Wallace
Houshmandzadeh
Randle El/Battle
Sanders

That's 5 or 6, depending on the special teams value elsewhere on our team.

In closing, you always want to make your football team the best you can personnel-wise and Houshmandzadeh could make us better. This is especially true for us (Dixon or Batch) who will need all of the weapons they can throw to in order to stay afloat in football's toughest division... and when Ben comes back, we have an elite passing attack when we factor in Miller.

Oh and I'm sure Housh wouldn't mind getting some revenge on his former team...

Thoughts?

Shawn
09-03-2010, 04:19 PM
Anyone who uses the terrible towel to shine his cleats is not welcome in the Burgh.

ramblinjim
09-03-2010, 04:20 PM
....didnt' Lendale White do that? Wasn't there a lot of Lendale love on the board?

proudpittsburgher
09-03-2010, 04:21 PM
That was very well thought out, and kinda rational. Unfortunately, I really have a short answer for you

http://www.2010-super-bowl.com/pix/tj.jpg

Hell NOOOOOOOO

Let the shoe-bomber basttich rot in rainy, whiny, dainty Seattle.

Steelskin
09-03-2010, 04:26 PM
That was very well thought out, and kinda rational. Unfortunately, I really have a short answer for you

Hell NOOOOOOOO

Let the basshoe-bomber tich rot in rainy, whiny, dainty Seattle.

Thank you.

I, myself, hate the idea of signing division players (even if they are a year removed), however, sometimes they make the most logical sense, as in this case.

While Housh's actions in that incident were offensive, I don't think we would've thought twice had Hines done something similar to Cincinnati (if they had a symbol like the towel (other than paper bags!)).

No one ever expected Terrell Owens to play in Dallas either and sure enough...

(Houshmandzadeh isn't a fraction the diva TO is. I'm just saying that a player going to a team after an insulting action towards the said team isn't unprecedented)

proudpittsburgher
09-03-2010, 04:30 PM

Hell NOOOOOOOO

Let the basshoe-bomber tich rot in rainy, whiny, dainty Seattle.

Thank you.

I, myself, hate the idea of signing division players (even if they are a year removed), however, sometimes they make the most logical sense, as in this case.

While Housh's actions in that incident were offensive, I don't think we would've thought twice had Hines done something similar to Cincinnati (if they had a symbol like the towel (other than paper bags!)).

:) No, I understand, and what you say makes perfect sense. I don't blame the guy for wanting to get away from Cincy and Ocho, he knew he was never going to win a title, and Ocho was holding him back. But with Lendale, TJ, those guys have to live with the consequences of what they did. They knew what the Steelers fanbase was like, at least TJ did.

JAR
09-03-2010, 04:35 PM
....didnt' Lendale White do that? Wasn't there a lot of Lendale love on the board?

Yes, the curse continues. Housh ends up in the abyss and Lendale is out for the year.

Steelskin
09-03-2010, 04:35 PM
:) No, I understand, and what you say makes perfect sense. I don't blame the guy for wanting to get away from Cincy and Ocho, he knew he was never going to win a title, and Ocho was holding him back. But with Lendale, TJ, those guys have to live with the consequences of what they did. They knew what the Steelers fanbase was like, at least TJ did.

Agreed.

Like any other move, this has its pro's and con's.

I guess we'll see what happens in a few days... It's certainly debatable! (Moreso than LenDale, who tore his ACL last night, by the way)

MeetJoeGreene
09-03-2010, 04:36 PM

Yes, the curse continues. Housh ends up in the abyss and Lendale is out for the year.
:Agree Good Call.

fezziwig
09-03-2010, 04:53 PM
If we didn't have Hines and Wallace I would say it would be something to bounce around but we do in my opinion have a good foundation for receivers and future receivers.

phillyesq
09-03-2010, 05:10 PM
I think the Steelers have a nice blend of youth and veteran experience at WR. Housh seems like a pain, and I'm not sure that his talent is worth the headache. No thanks.

RuthlessBurgher
09-03-2010, 06:27 PM
The case against... Doucheyourmama is a douchtastic example of douchebaggery!

Discipline of Steel
09-03-2010, 06:36 PM
Only one long haired guy per team. Troys long hair is MUCH cooler than Douchemania's.

DukieBoy
09-03-2010, 07:04 PM
He burned a bridge that we shall not rebuild.

pittpete
09-03-2010, 07:20 PM
I'll pass, Wallace & Sanders are enough for me :Cheers

fezziwig
09-03-2010, 07:22 PM
Only one long haired guy per team. Troys long hair is MUCH cooler than Douchemania's.

Speaking of long hair, where did Tyrone Carter end up ?

Relentless7
09-03-2010, 07:38 PM

Speaking of long hair, where did Tyrone Carter end up ?

Redskins

Steelskin
09-03-2010, 08:24 PM
Well it looks like the tribe has spoken!

I must say though, I really do appreciate that you were all respectful of my idea.

Respectful towards Houshmandzadeh, not so much :lol:

drprwnap
09-03-2010, 10:32 PM
Anyone who uses the terrible towel to shine his cleats is not welcome in the Burgh.
:Agree :Agree :Agree :Agree :Agree :Agree :Agree :Agree :Agree :Agree :Agree :Agree :Agree :Agree :Agree :Agree :Agree :Agree :Agree :Agree :Agree :Agree :Agree :Agree :Agree :Agree :Agree :Agree :Agree :Agree :Agree :Agree :Agree :Agree :Agree :Agree :Agree :Agree :Agree :Agree :Agree :Agree :Agree :Agree :Agree :Agree :Agree :Agree :Agree :Agree :Agree :Agree :Agree :Agree :Agree

Captain Lemming
09-03-2010, 11:05 PM
Is he still playing? Isnt he the no talent guy on the Black eyed peas?

Flasteel
09-04-2010, 12:18 AM
The case against... Doucheyourmama is a douchtastic example of douchebaggery!

Now that is an example of pure poetry.

Who would anyone of us be willing to let go to bring in Douchemanzada? I for one wouldn't give away a roster spot for Sanders, Brown, or 'Twan...not in a million friggin' years.

No thanks Douche!

Relentless7
09-04-2010, 02:00 AM

Aren't ALL members of the Black Eyed Peas "The No Talent Guy"?

Crash
09-04-2010, 02:20 AM
Hines did the Ickey shuffle in the same game and Ickey had not played for a decade plus.

Where was the outrage then?

I would sign the Shoe tomorrow and send El on his way. El's washed up.

Starlifter
09-04-2010, 02:34 AM
bottom line, we don't need whoseyourdaddy to win. Unfortunately for him, his only chance of being a winner is to join the steelers. karma is a bit#h, it's a small league and he can finish out his career in st louis for all I care.....

AngryAsian
09-04-2010, 08:58 AM
No thank you.

proudpittsburgher
09-04-2010, 08:59 AM
Hines did the Ickey shuffle in the same game and Ickey had not played for a decade plus.

So you are equating emulating another teams celebration with spit shining your shoes with the TT? One is one-upsmanship of a fad, the other is downright desacrating an object relavant to a team for decades. And FWIW, if I were a Bengals fan, I wouldn't be happy about signing HW to our team either. So again, I say Hell No to dousch . . . I'll take El yea anyday over Who's your momma shoe bomber.

Shoe
09-04-2010, 10:46 AM
FOCK TJ HOUSHMANZADEH

RuthlessBurgher
09-05-2010, 11:30 AM

Aren't ALL members of the Black Eyed Peas "The No Talent Guy"?

C'mon, man. That's ridiculous. Show some respect.

There's also a No Talent Girl too. :P

steelblood
09-05-2010, 11:50 AM

I agree on El. Last year I watched him play with the skins and he was not impressive in any way.

fordfixer
09-05-2010, 11:58 AM
Post subject: Re: The Case for TJ Houshmandzadeh

Close the case before something get's out

RuthlessBurgher
09-05-2010, 12:05 PM

I agree on El. Last year I watched him play with the skins and he was not impressive in any way.

El's not a starting calibre WR anymore (which the Redskins were paying him to be), but he still caught at least 50 balls in each of his last 3 seasons in Washington. That's more than he caught in any of his 4 seasons in Pittsburgh the first time around (his most catches as a Steeler were 47 in his rookie season). There's enough in the tank to serve as a #3 at this point in his career. And if I'm wrong and there is not, we'll still got some impressive looking rookies to fall back on (plus Arnaz Battle, who also has multiple seasons with 50+ catches in the NFL...granted, his were longer ago than ARE, so Battle is more of a special teamer at this point whose skills as a WR should only be needed in case of emergency).

steelblood
09-05-2010, 12:12 PM

El's not a starting calibre WR anymore (which the Redskins were paying him to be), but he still caught at least 50 balls in each of his last 3 seasons in Washington. That's more than he caught in any of his 4 seasons in Pittsburgh the first time around (his most catches as a Steeler were 47 in his rookie season). There's enough in the tank to serve as a #3 at this point in his career. And if I'm wrong and there is not, we'll still got some impressive looking rookies to fall back on (plus Arnaz Battle, who also has multiple seasons with 50+ catches in the NFL...granted, his were longer ago than ARE, so Battle is more of a special teamer at this point whose skills as a WR should only be needed in case of emergency).

The problem with El is that he is really a slot receiver only and we have plenty of those. Hines does really well as the slot receiver in multiple sets. Brown and Sanders physical sets are really best suited for the slot. Furthermore, El's quickness is slipping every year. I just feel that he is an unnecessary redundancy.

But, I hope he proves me wrong. :)

RuthlessBurgher
09-05-2010, 01:15 PM

The problem with El is that he is really a slot receiver only and we have plenty of those. Hines does really well as the slot receiver in multiple sets. Brown and Sanders physical sets are really best suited for the slot. Furthermore, El's quickness is slipping every year. I just feel that he is an unnecessary redundancy.

In the present, Wallace is the split end, Ward is the flanker, and El is in the slot. The kids provide depth at this time. They may offer more than that be season's end, but for now, we don't need any rookies running wrong routes resulting in interceptions for touchdowns in these vital first 4 games of the season.

In the past, when Wallace was our #3 WR, we moved Ward inside to the slot when we went 3-wide because Wallace and Holmes were better on the outside.

In the future, I expect to see Wallace as the split end, Sanders as the flanker, and Brown in the slot.

But that's the future. While we give the rooks some seasoning, ARE is our best option out of the slot in 3 WR sets at this point in time.

steelblood
09-05-2010, 02:39 PM

In the present, Wallace is the split end, Ward is the flanker, and El is in the slot. The kids provide depth at this time. They may offer more than that be season's end, but for now, we don't need any rookies running wrong routes resulting in interceptions for touchdowns in these vital first 4 games of the season.

In the past, when Wallace was our #3 WR, we moved Ward inside to the slot when we went 3-wide because Wallace and Holmes were better on the outside.

In the future, I expect to see Wallace as the split end, Sanders as the flanker, and Brown in the slot.

But that's the future. While we give the rooks some seasoning, ARE is our best option out of the slot in 3 WR sets at this point in time.

WR is the easiest position for a rook to learn. If we would have created a competition for the slot between ARE, Sanders, and Brown and really let the kids learn that position first, I'm not so sure ARE would be the guy. But, as it is they taught the rooks the outside positions first, so ARE is the only option (unless you slide Ward down and put a rook on the outside).