PDA

View Full Version : Our FB prayers could be answered...

steelerkeylargo
09-02-2010, 11:14 AM
Seahawks | Could have decision to make at fullback
Comment (0)
Wed, 01 Sep 2010 22:40:15 -0400

Seattle Seahawks FB Owen Schmitt is the team's only true fullback, but RB Quinton Ganther is capable of playing the role, reports Danny O'Neil, of The Seattle Times. Schmitt might not be released from the team, but the Seahawks could consider letting him go when they need to reduce their roster size.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz0yNxqbamg

Oviedo
09-02-2010, 11:26 AM
I would take Owen Schmitt is a heartbeat and drive Frank Summers to the airport. That said I think he was released once before and we passed on the chance to sign him so not sure what they think now.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
09-02-2010, 11:28 AM
Hmm...He would be hard to pass on. Who makes us better....Summers or Schmitt? Would there even be a debate?

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
09-02-2010, 11:31 AM
I would take Owen Schmitt is a heartbeat and drive Frank Summers to the airport. That said I think he was released once before and we passed on the chance to sign him so not sure what they think now.
I remember that O. We even had this discussion before. But I don't believe he ever got released. It was rumored to happen before camp but I don't think it ever happened.

BradshawsHairdresser
09-02-2010, 12:05 PM
After reading the title, I thought maybe Bruce Arians had been fired.

Not sure if it matters much who plays FB in his offense, since he doesn't use a FB in his offense.

drprwnap
09-02-2010, 12:28 PM

Not sure if it matters much who plays FB in his offense, since he doesn't use a FB in his offense.

:Agree :Agree :Agree

RuthlessBurgher
09-02-2010, 12:31 PM
http://loyalkng.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/Owen-Schmitt-cracks-head-bleed-football-Seattle-just-might-be-insane.jpg

grotonsteel
09-02-2010, 12:44 PM

:Agree

Can Owen Schmitt catch ?? If so then i can see Steelers going after him.

proudpittsburgher
09-02-2010, 12:46 PM
http://loyalkng.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/Owen-Schmitt-cracks-head-bleed-football-Seattle-just-might-be-insane.jpg

Isn't this the photo from when, without a helmet, he headbutted another teammate with a helmet on? If so, I have to question his smarts.

ikestops85
09-02-2010, 12:50 PM

Isn't this the photo from when, without a helmet, he headbutted another teammate with a helmet on? If so, I have to question his smarts.

You are correct ... and it was during the pre-game warmups. Schmitt has not made a good impression with the Seahawks. The guy we really should have gone after was former Hawk Leonard Weaver. That guy can run, catch and even block some.

Either way Summers should be gone. I would rather keep Logan than keep Summers.

RuthlessBurgher
09-02-2010, 12:51 PM

:Agree

Can Owen Schmitt catch ?? If so then i can see Steelers going after him.

In his 2 seasons in Seattle (2 starts in 30 games), he has 5 rushing attempts (for 21 yards) and 12 receptions (for 50 yards). At WVU, he carried 160 times for 1,003 yards (6.3-yard average) and 13 touchdowns, as he was tackled for a loss just twice. He caught 32 passes for 288 yards (9.0-yard avg) and two scores, adding 34 yards on two kickoff returns. Four of his 21 college starts were at TE. Arians seems to love FB/TE hybrid type guys, so there is a chance (if he is indeed cut this time, unlike the last time we discussed this, when his release was only a false rumor).

RuthlessBurgher
09-02-2010, 12:54 PM

He has also been known to bash himself in the head repeatedly with his own helmet. He may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but a spark of insanity may not necessarily be an awful thing for a fullback (I'd be more worried if, say, my accountant was bashing himself in the head).

:HeadBanger

calmkiller
09-02-2010, 01:49 PM
I would trade Dixon for him right now. Let alone sign him as a FA. This would be a great pickup!

Oviedo
09-02-2010, 02:11 PM
I would trade Dixon for him right now. Let alone sign him as a FA. This would be a great pickup!

Me too!!!!!!!!!

RuthlessBurgher
09-02-2010, 02:18 PM

I don't know about that, but I'd trade Summers for him or Hartwig for him. :P

StarSpangledSteeler
09-02-2010, 02:20 PM

I would drive Summers to the airport at the same time i was picking Schmitt up from the airport. First of all it saves gas money (to re-sign Woodley). Second if we can induce a crossing of paths, we be able to provoke a head butting contest.

flippy
09-02-2010, 02:22 PM
On HardKnocks, the Jets have discussed getting rid of Tony Richardson even though he's still playing at a high level according to their coach.

sd steel
09-02-2010, 02:24 PM
I don't really understand the love for the big dumb white FB who has only played in 2 games in the NFL and likes to hit himself in the head. Then some even want to trade Dixon for him??? I'm not sure if that is just a West Virginia thing or what, but Owen isn't going to help us more than Dixon might.

Not sure why anyone would want to get rid of Dixon at this point.

feltdizz
09-02-2010, 02:30 PM
I don't really understand the love for the big dumb white FB who has only played in 2 games in the NFL and likes to hit himself in the head. Then some even want to trade Dixon for him??? I'm not sure if that is just a West Virginia thing or what, but Owen isn't going to help us more than Dixon might.

Not sure why anyone would want to get rid of Dixon at this point.

Some people can't help themselves.... Grisham is also a star in the making.

The only way Owen will succeed in the NFL is if a team runs the triple spread option.

Watch any Navy game and you will see the FB getting 10 to 15 yards a few times a game.

Slapstick
09-02-2010, 02:30 PM
I wouldn't trade Dixon...

But, to be fair, Schmitt has played in more NFL games than Dixon (and far more than two)...

feltdizz
09-02-2010, 02:39 PM
I wouldn't trade Dixon...

But, to be fair, Schmitt has played in more NFL games than Dixon (and far more than two)...

His NFL stats look like Carey Davis' LOL. He has zero highlights...
Dixon has at least 2 from the Baltimore game...

Hell no to Schmitt

Slapstick
09-02-2010, 02:45 PM
His NFL stats look like Carey Davis' LOL. He has zero highlights...
Dixon has at least 2 from the Baltimore game...

Hell no to Schmitt

His stats look better to me than Frank Summers or even David Johnson...

flippy
09-02-2010, 02:50 PM
Grisham is also a star in the making.

Glad you agree.

hawaiiansteel
09-02-2010, 03:15 PM
I would drive Summers to the airport at the same time i was picking Schmitt up from the airport.

just don't let Owen Schmitt drive...

Originally published June 25, 2009

Seahawks' Owen Schmitt arrested on suspicion of drunken driving

By Danny O'Neil
Seattle Times staff reporter

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ABPub/2009/06/25/2009384136.jpg

Seahawks fullback Owen Schmitt was arrested Saturday on suspicion of drunken driving in Black Diamond.

Schmitt, 24, was pulled over by Black Diamond police around midnight for speeding. He was subsequently arrested for drunken driving after his blood-alcohol content was measured at .151 and .161, according to State Patrol records. The legal limit in Washington is .08.

Arraignment is scheduled for July 8.

A written statement from Schmitt was released this morning by the Seahawks.

"I sincerely apologize to the team, the NFL, the fans and my family and friends for my actions and my poor judgment," Schmitt said. "I fully understand the seriousness of this matter, and I am disappointed in myself. I am committed to earning back the trust of everyone affected."

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/l ... ui26m.html (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2009383919_webseahawkdui26m.html)

Discipline of Steel
09-02-2010, 06:51 PM
We didnt even sniff at Weaver and I was greatly displeased. Schmidt is considerably less talented so I think Id prefer a Redman/Mendenhall backfield on 4th and 1, goal to go.

BURGH86STEEL
09-02-2010, 07:29 PM
Kind of silly that some fans believe a FB is the cure for the short yardage run game. The blocking problems usually occur between the Oline or TE's. Having a better FB is not going to solve that problem.