PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Notebook: Sports Illustrated pick defies Big Ben

fordfixer
09-01-2010, 01:16 AM
Steelers Notebook: Sports Illustrated pick defies Big Ben logic
Wednesday, September 01, 2010
By Ray Fittipaldo, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10244/1084047-66.stm

Ben Roethlisberger's suspension for at least four games and the team's 9-7 record last season has many in the prognostication field leaving the Steelers out of the playoffs again this season. But one prominent NFL reporter is picking the Steelers to raise the Lombardi Trophy for the seventh time.

Sports Illustrated picked the Steelers to win Super Bowl XLV. Senior NFL writer Peter King predicted the Steelers will beat the Green Bay Packers, 33-27, to win the championship.

"Sounds good to me," defensive end Brett Keisel said. "We're excited to get another one. I think we have the makeup for a great team in here. If we can just stay healthy and play hard, then I think we have the guys to do it."

Veteran receiver Hines Ward said the Steelers usually do their best work when the experts don't pick them.

"I like Peter King," Ward said. "Look back in time. The years we won, we kind of flew under the radar. There is something about this team. We play pretty good when people count us out."

The last time King correctly predicted the winner of the Super Bowl before the season? It was 1995, when the Cowboys beat the Steelers in Super Bowl XXX. This week's issue of Sports Illustrated hits newsstands today.
Lewis apologetic

Second-year cornerback Kennan Lewis had a rough game in the 34-17 loss Sunday night at Denver. He was flagged twice for personal foul penalties, the second of which prompted coach Mike Tomlin to pull him for the rest of the game.

After the game was over, Lewis hit a sign and shattered glass on his way to the locker room. Tomlin said that Lewis would pay for the damage.

"I know I was wrong in what I've done," Lewis said. "That's why I'm here positive today and trying to get better."

Lewis had been battling veteran Bryant McFadden for a starting position. McFadden is not expected to play against Carolina in the preseason finale Thursday night at Heinz Field.

"It was a bad night," Lewis said. "We play ball for a long time. You have bad moments sometimes. I'll study harder and go from there."
Frazier among cuts

The Steelers reached their 75-man roster limit after making six moves on Tuesday.

The team waived five players who were not on their roster last season: linebacker Brandon Renkart, cornerback David Pittman, fullback Dwayne Wright and guard Adrian Jones. Rookie guard Chris Scott, who had been on the physically unable to perform list since the beginning of training camp, was placed on the reserve/PUP list.

Veteran linebacker Andre Frazier, on the roster for each of their past two Super Bowl teams, was released from the injured reserve list.

The Steelers must decide on their 53-man roster by Saturday.
Quick hits

Fans are encouraged to arrive early for Thursday's game to avoid expected traffic jams. Gates will open at 5:30 p.m. ... Carolina is 1-2 in the preseason with the lone victory coming last week against Tennessee. The Panthers lost to Baltimore and the New York Jets. ... Three former Pitt players are on Carolina's offensive line: starting right tackle Jeff Otah, backup guard C.J. Davis and third-string tackle Rob Petitti.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10244/10 ... z0yFhVlR2V (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10244/1084047-66.stm#ixzz0yFhVlR2V)

BURGH86STEEL
09-01-2010, 05:46 AM
Ward said. "Look back in time. The years we won, we kind of flew under the radar. There is something about this team. We play pretty good when people count us out."

I don't believe in the flying under the radar stuff.

proudpittsburgher
09-01-2010, 06:58 AM
Ward said. "Look back in time. The years we won, we kind of flew under the radar. There is something about this team. We play pretty good when people count us out."

See, I do. Less pressure on the players. I know that they are professional and things like that shouldn't matter . . . they shouldn;t need any extra motivation outside of having a contract and making millions of dollars . . . but they do. The us against the world mentality has been taken and run with quite a few times.

stlrz d
09-01-2010, 08:13 AM

I don't either.

feltdizz
09-01-2010, 08:28 AM

See, I do. Less pressure on the players. I know that they are professional and things like that shouldn't matter . . . they shouldn;t need any extra motivation outside of having a contract and making millions of dollars . . . but they do. The us against the world mentality has been taken and run with quite a few times.

:Agree

As soon as the media list us as a "team to beat" we go out and play flat.

When it's us vs. the world we play much better. When know one gives us a chance we tend to kick azzz. However when we are the "favorites and obvious choice" we look like we expect to show up and win.

Steelers>NFL
09-01-2010, 08:31 AM

Apparently it bolds true in the Steelers account. Twice in the last 5 years they won the SB, not being favored. Then only to miss the playoffs the season after both times
after coming off SB victories.

SteelHead
09-01-2010, 11:56 AM
I agree completely that there are plenty of other influences that go into how well professional athletes perform other than just that innate desire we think they should all have. Also , I'll take the word of multiple teammates that said they tend to play a little better when they are an underdog....amazing how us fans totally dismiss what comes from the horses mouth sometimes.

Shoe
09-01-2010, 01:35 PM
I don't understand how you can not "believe in" the flying undert the radar thing. Mindset is extremely important. e.g. It's why so many teams fall flat after a great season. It's why SB losing teams invariably fall off the next year (they flew under the radar the previous year, and then... they have to face more adversity the next year).

I DO NOT like some complacent, "media"-type like Peter King picking us. I suppose the only thing worse would be that fat blowhard Berman.

cruzer8
09-01-2010, 01:55 PM
That flying under the radar stuff is all BS.

RuthlessBurgher
09-01-2010, 02:03 PM
I don't understand how you can not "believe in" the flying undert the radar thing. Mindset is extremely important. e.g. It's why so many teams fall flat after a great season. It's why SB losing teams invariably fall off the next year (they flew under the radar the previous year, and then... they have to face more adversity the next year).

I DO NOT like some complacent, "media"-type like Peter King picking us. I suppose the only thing worse would be that fat blowhard Berman.

Isn't he still picking Bills vs. Niners Super Bowls every year?

SteelHoss
09-01-2010, 02:03 PM
I have to agree with Hines and company. The Steelers definitely play up when they are the underdog. The reverse is true when they've been favored. Its weird, but true and I've been watching them for 50+ years
n :Clap w. :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1

NC Steeler Fan
09-01-2010, 02:16 PM
Look at how many AFCCG we lost at home...

I hate it when we ride "too high".

Give me #6 seed on the road any day...

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-01-2010, 02:35 PM
Look at how many AFCCG we lost at home...

I hate it when we ride "too high".

Give me #6 seed on the road any day...

:Agree :Agree SteelerChick and SteelHoss - I gotta agree, 100%. I think the magic jersey color has gone from black to white in the last decade!

Nice to see you back, SC!

feltdizz
09-01-2010, 03:04 PM
That flying under the radar stuff is all BS.

proof...