PDA

View Full Version : No Suspension for Rogers

phillyesq
08-31-2010, 12:12 PM
Browns' Shaun Rogers gets no suspension, big fine
Posted by Michael David Smith on August 31, 2010 11:52 AM ET
Browns defensive tackle Shaun Rogers has avoided a suspension after getting busted with a gun at an airport.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that Rogers will not be not suspended, but he will be fined a significant amount.

According to Schefter, the fine will be about $300,000, although the exact amount isn't known. Rogers is due $7 million this season, meaning he makes more than $400,000 a week, so a $300,000 fine is actually less than he'd lose for a one-game suspension.

In any event, Rogers is eligible to play Week One. Now the only question is whether he'll be healthy enough to get on the field.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but carrying a gun in an airport is something of a taboo, isn't it? Yet no suspension here.

Goodell's brand of "justice" reeks of inequities.

RuthlessBurgher
08-31-2010, 12:15 PM
If you consider felony possession to be "taboo" then yes.

Ghost
08-31-2010, 12:20 PM
That's a 4.3% fine. Is that really significant?

phillyesq
08-31-2010, 12:30 PM
If you consider felony possession to be "taboo" then yes.

Under the Goodell standard, I thought "taboo" was more significant than words like "felony" or "conviction." :lol: :lol:

flippy
08-31-2010, 12:43 PM
Seems fair. My wife has no idea who Shaun Rogers is. So he has 0 effect on the shield.

feltdizz
08-31-2010, 12:54 PM
Mods!!!!! Is this Steeler news? 8)

Eich
08-31-2010, 01:10 PM

Would it be a significant fine to you if you lost 4.3% of your salary this year?

I don't understand why Ben had to be suspended but guys like Rogers and Belichick can get off with fines.

Oviedo
08-31-2010, 01:22 PM
Lucky for Rodgers he isn't a white QB. :stirpot

Does anyone think now that this wasn't about making an example of Ben and getting heat off Goodell. Rodgers freakin broke federal law and gets slapped on the wrist and doesn't miss a second of playing time.

I guess if you are a black football player you can punch out a bar patron, assault people, beat on pregnant women and violate federal laws in an era of terrorism your on easy street as far as NFL disciplene until Goodell gets his political correctness points balanced out. :stirpot :stirpot

Ghost
08-31-2010, 01:27 PM

Would it be a significant fine to you if you lost 4.3% of your salary this year?

I don't understand why Ben had to be suspended but guys like Rogers and Belichick can get off with fines.

I actually figured out what that would be for my salary and while certainly annoying, it wouldn't bankrupt me. And oh yeah, I wouldn't have $6.7 million left over.

My point was more that the fine was less than a one game check so in that context I don't see it as significant at all.

And while I agree with Flippy that no one knows Rogers it's still a news story that ties a player with carrying a gun and that's not the image the NFL is looking to have. Not getting at least a game is ridiculous.

RuthlessBurgher
08-31-2010, 01:33 PM
Ooh...that $300,000 is certainly a "big fine."

Consider that in addition to missing 4-6 games, Ben will also be losing between $1,894,116 and $2,841,174 in game checks because of this suspension.

steelblood
08-31-2010, 02:03 PM
This is starting to get ridiculous. I can't believe that Roger needs to keep the charade up with the big meeting for Ben after the final preseason game. Seriously? Drunk Driving, carrying guns, and physically assaulting people are not against the personal conduct policy? Punishing Ben for something he wasn't convicted for was a reaction to the court of public opinion and had EVERYTHING to do with his high profile and the media circus surrounding his douchie behaviour. We may very well miss the playoffs because of this witch hunt.

feltdizz
08-31-2010, 02:25 PM

Does anyone think now that this wasn't about making an example of Ben and getting heat off Goodell. Rodgers freakin broke federal law and gets slapped on the wrist and doesn't miss a second of playing time.

I guess if you are a black football player you can punch out a bar patron, assault people, beat on pregnant women and violate federal laws in an era of terrorism your on easy street as far as NFL disciplene until Goodell gets his political correctness points balanced out. :stirpot :stirpot

da white man holdin da white QB down :oops:

Slapstick
08-31-2010, 02:37 PM
Flippy is right...

Goodell's Axiom:

The severity of the punishment is directly proportional to the amount of bad press generated by the infraction...

feltdizz
08-31-2010, 02:38 PM
Browns' Shaun Rogers gets no suspension, big fine
Posted by Michael David Smith on August 31, 2010 11:52 AM ET
Browns defensive tackle Shaun Rogers has avoided a suspension after getting busted with a gun at an airport.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that Rogers will not be not suspended, but he will be fined a significant amount.

According to Schefter, the fine will be about $300,000, although the exact amount isn't known. Rogers is due $7 million this season, meaning he makes more than $400,000 a week, so a $300,000 fine is actually less than he'd lose for a one-game suspension.

In any event, Rogers is eligible to play Week One. Now the only question is whether he'll be healthy enough to get on the field.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but carrying a gun in an airport is something of a taboo, isn't it? Yet no suspension here.

Goodell's brand of "justice" reeks of inequities.

It actually happens more then you think. Most people are issued fines or a warning citation. It's not like Rogers was trying to get it through the airport for criminal purposes.

Now if he didn't have a permit or wasn't allowed to have a firearm due to past violations he should be suspended.

but he is black and Obama is president so who knows.... :roll:

Oviedo
08-31-2010, 02:42 PM

da white man holdin da white QB down :oops:

More like da white man trying to take da media pressure off himself by making what he believes is an acceptable sacrifice. Politicians do it all the time and that is what Goodell is.

Dee Dub
08-31-2010, 02:51 PM
I wouldnt put it past the city of Cleveland and their law enforcement to make up the story about Rogers allegedly helping to stop a motorist while he was under the influence.

They are straight born losers and they need anything and everything at every point in time in regards to sports. See Lebron James.

:brownssuck

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5515524

cruzer8
08-31-2010, 02:57 PM
Seems fair. My wife has no idea who Shaun Rogers is. So he has 0 effect on the shield.

Since when is she the standard for who gets suspended and who doesn't?

Now to address another point, TSA is not concerned with why Rogers brought a gun, whether his intent was criminal or whether he's just stupid. What they are concerned with is that he brought a gun into an airport, which is a felony.

Dee Dub
08-31-2010, 03:05 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now to address another point, TSA is not concerned with why Rogers brought a gun, whether his intent was criminal or whether he's just stupid. What they are concerned with is that he brought a gun into an airport, which is a felony.

Yep! Let this happen to you or I and we are Gon-Zittoe.

And the conversation after that wont go down like this...

Dalton Russell: Soon I'm gonna be sucking down piņa coladas in a hot tub with six girls named Amber and Tiffany.

..more like this...

Keith Frazier: No, it's more like in the shower with two guys named Jamal and Jesus... and here's the bad news; that thing you're sucking on? It's not a piņa colada!

Crash
08-31-2010, 03:23 PM
Ben should be freed as well then.

http://www.wpxi.com/news/21256906/detail.html

feltdizz
08-31-2010, 03:26 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yep! Let this happen to you or I and we are Gon-Zittoe.

And the conversation after that wont go down like this...

Dalton Russell: Soon I'm gonna be sucking down piņa coladas in a hot tub with six girls named Amber and Tiffany.

..more like this...

Keith Frazier: No, it's more like in the shower with two guys named Jamal and Jesus... and here's the bad news; that thing you're sucking on? It's not a piņa colada!

I knew someone's mom who had this happen to her. Yeah she was packin (a gun)
she flew out a day later.

It's not as serious as some are making it out to be. Unless you have a list of violations or are on a most wanted list you aren't going to jail over this. You go to a holding cell and sign some papers and keep it moving.

feltdizz
08-31-2010, 03:28 PM

What jail is Ben in and who the hell was the "white guy" throwing towels on the ground and joking like a big kid in Denver on Sunday night?

Northern_Blitz
08-31-2010, 03:41 PM
More evidence that the suspension was a Rooney decision, not an NFL decision.

Honestly, people need to give it a rest. It looks like the discipline has been good for Ben, even if it costs us a shot this season I'll take it if it prevents a 3rd accusation against our franchise QB.

papillon
08-31-2010, 03:47 PM

What jail is Ben in and who the hell was the "white guy" throwing towels on the ground and joking like a big kid in Denver on Sunday night?

He's in NFL h3ll for making a couple bad decisions that didn't really harm anyone. I was fine with his punishment until Goodell couldn't dole out punishment in anything resembling consistency. I was a huge proponent of Ben getting punished for poor behavior unbecoming to any man, not just famous quarterbacks. But, as the year went on and others were slapped on the wrist for actual convictions it has become a farce.

Goodell is doing more harm to his policy now than good. Everyone is seeing that he simply wanted to make an example Ben (being a high profile player); but never really intended to punish all players with any type of consistency or standard. He wanted to prove that he was large and in charge and now it's a joke.

Pappy

Crash
08-31-2010, 04:10 PM
The Rooney's IMO would have given Ben two games. Ben was willing to accept that from Goodell also.

Goodell made it 4-6, the Steelers didn't agree to it and they were concerned it may have been as high as 8-10 games.

feltdizz
08-31-2010, 04:25 PM
The Rooney's IMO would have given Ben two games. Ben was willing to accept that from Goodell also.

Goodell made it 4-6, the Steelers didn't agree to it and they were concerned it may have been as high as 8-10 games.

anyway you flip it... da white man did dis ta da white man and it's allllll because of da black media :oops:

you guys are going to shorten your lives with this frustration. Ben looks happy and has moved on. If he can move on why can't you guys?

I know it puts us in a bind but hey... the devil yo...

Crash
08-31-2010, 04:31 PM
No he hasn't moved on. Just wait. Ben will erupt at some point. He's getting fed up with everyone else being arrested and not suspended. Like I said before, you can tell in his recent interviews, he wants to sound off on Goodell.

Oviedo
08-31-2010, 04:39 PM

He's in NFL h3ll for making a couple bad decisions that didn't really harm anyone. I was fine with his punishment until Goodell couldn't dole out punishment in anything resembling consistency. I was a huge proponent of Ben getting punished for poor behavior unbecoming to any man, not just famous quarterbacks. But, as the year went on and others were slapped on the wrist for actual convictions it has become a farce.

Goodell is doing more harm to his policy now than good. Everyone is seeing that he simply wanted to make an example Ben (being a high profile player); but never really intended to punish all players with any type of consistency or standard. He wanted to prove that he was large and in charge and now it's a joke.

Pappy

:Agree I don't think this is something that should be "given a rest" because it will likely cost us this season for a non football issue where Goodell made an arbitrary decision and has done absolutely nothing to deal with other more serious issues.

Writing off this season because of Goodell's arbitrary judgements is not OK because for some players on this roster this may be their last or only season in the NFL and this steals an opportunity from them so Goodell can get his political correctness points.

SteelCrazy
08-31-2010, 05:03 PM
In Roger Goodell's new NFL, you can only be suspended if you do something totally stupid that breaks the law and you MUST be white......The African-American media has been calling Goodell a racist, so the rules had to be changed.

feltdizz
08-31-2010, 05:36 PM
I remember a guy in Georgia or South Carolina who was starting an all white basketball league. Maybe with the lock out they can start an all white football league to get back at Goodell next year.

Seriously though... Ben isn't getting increasingly fed up Crash... YOU are getting increasingly frustrated. You sound like Glenn Beck or Hannity... the black media, white guilt, why is the president riding on air force one? LOL

Jigawatts
08-31-2010, 05:52 PM
If Ben isn't getting fed up there's something wrong with him. He's watched a parade of
idiots get a free pass all while Goodell dropped the hammer on him. Ben has never been
charged with anything, by the way. No witnesses, never caught on camera. Just a girl
wearing a DTF shirt and a kook that wanted to have his baby.

RuthlessBurgher
08-31-2010, 06:08 PM
No he hasn't moved on. Just wait. Ben will erupt at some point. He's getting fed up with everyone else being arrested and not suspended. Like I said before, you can tell in his recent interviews, he wants to sound off on Goodell.

As long as he erupts all over the Browns, Dolphins, Saints, Bengals, Pats, Raiders, Bills, Ravens, Bengals again, Jets, Panthers, and Browns again, then that is fine with me.

Use frustration in a productive manner on the field. Sounding off on Goodell would be counterproductive and stupid. The best way for Ben to get back at Goodell is to force Goodell to hand the Lombardi trophy to him at the end of the season instead of his beloved Peyton, Brady, Brees, etc.

Crash
08-31-2010, 06:43 PM
Goodell hands it to the owner. Not the player.

flippy
08-31-2010, 06:44 PM

ok, your wife or girlfriend or any one else on this board. assuming they could care less about football.

Crash
08-31-2010, 07:19 PM
So Goodell gives him an obvious break, and Rogers is still appealing the fine?

What an ungrateful assclown.

Captain Lemming
08-31-2010, 08:46 PM

You know this how?

feltdizz
08-31-2010, 09:24 PM

You know this how?

He just knows...

He knows exactly what Ben is thinking, what Goodell is thinking, what the black media is thinking, what the Rooneys are thinking...
:wink:

Crash
08-31-2010, 09:25 PM
The Rooney's wanted to punish Ben themselves. The most a TEAM can give a player is four games. So obviously if they wanted to do it themselves they obviously don't agree with the six games max he got.

plainnasty
08-31-2010, 09:34 PM
And where is the players union during all of this?

feltdizz
08-31-2010, 10:12 PM
The Rooney's wanted to punish Ben themselves. The most a TEAM can give a player is four games. So obviously if they wanted to do it themselves they obviously don't agree with the six games max he got.

Do you sit in ton the FO meetings or just make this up as you go?

Crash
08-31-2010, 10:13 PM

Ben refused the player union's help on this matter per his right.

But Union Head Smith was on record saying he didn't agree with the suspension, nor did he agree with Goodell's lone wolf mentality when he handed it out.

Crash
08-31-2010, 10:29 PM

If the Rooney's wanted him to get six games why did they ask to punish Ben themselves? They can't suspend him 6 games. They are not allowed per the CBA.

Ben and his lawyers wanted 4 down to 2.

Ben and II had NUMEROUS discussions prior to the suspension. II also said that Ben was willing to accept the "consequences" of his actions.

IMO, that was a 2 game suspension from the Rooney's. The same two games he was willing to take from Goodell.

RuthlessBurgher
09-01-2010, 07:56 AM

Ben refused the player union's help on this matter per his right.

But Union Head Smith was on record saying he didn't agree with the suspension, nor did he agree with Goodell's lone wolf mentality when he handed it out.

You guys might not know this, but Goodell considers himself a bit of a loner. He tends to think of himself as a one-man wolf pack. But when Ben came to his office in New York, he knew Ben was one of his own. And that wolf pack... it grew by one. So there... there were two in the wolf pack... Roger was alone first in the pack, and then Ben joined in later.

http://www.stuffking.com/images/Hangover_One_Man_Wolfpack_Navy_Shirt.jpg

Oviedo
09-01-2010, 08:33 AM

If the Rooney's wanted him to get six games why did they ask to punish Ben themselves? They can't suspend him 6 games. They are not allowed per the CBA.

Ben and his lawyers wanted 4 down to 2.

Ben and II had NUMEROUS discussions prior to the suspension. II also said that Ben was willing to accept the "consequences" of his actions.

IMO, that was a 2 game suspension from the Rooney's. The same two games he was willing to take from Goodell.

Two games would have been appropriate. Goodell went way overboard to appease his critics.

feltdizz
09-01-2010, 09:02 AM
The critics? Naw... it was the PR battle he was losing because Ben was on CNN and CBS tickers every hour on the hour. Anytime they did updates they put Ben's face and the shield on display for the world to see.

It's easy to blame the the "black :twisted: media" LOL... but that is the "blame the other man" weakness that has taken over our new generation. It's not him it's them.... Funny because 5 years ago most of you who blame "the black :twisted: media" would scoff if someone blamed the "white 8) media" for any off field incident or Goodell suspension. Take responsibility was the mantra back then... very weak and desperate attempt at deflecting criticism from those in power. The Ronney's, Goodell, Ben, the Union... you know, the real parties involved.

It's like blaming BA or the O instead of player execution or the D last year. So easy to create a fall guy instead of looking at the truth.

Anyway... Ben sounds like he is doing good... well, he says he is but Crash will tell us differently. :wink:

RuthlessBurgher
09-01-2010, 09:39 AM
The critics? Naw... it was the PR battle he was losing because Ben was on CNN and CBS tickers every hour on the hour. Anytime they did updates they put Ben's face and the shield on display for the world to see.

It's easy to blame the the "black :twisted: media" LOL... but that is the "blame the other man" weakness that has taken over our new generation. It's not him it's them.... Funny because 5 years ago most of you who blame "the black :twisted: media" would scoff if someone blamed the "white 8) media" for any off field incident or Goodell suspension. Take responsibility was the mantra back then... very weak and desperate attempt at deflecting criticism from those in power. The Ronney's, Goodell, Ben, the Union... you know, the real parties involved.

It's like blaming BA or the O instead of player execution or the D last year. So easy to create a fall guy instead of looking at the truth.

Anyway... Ben sounds like he is doing good... well, he says he is but Crash will tell us differently. :wink:

Crash will tell you that Ben had Cocoa Krispies for breakfast this morning, but really wanted Lucky Charms. He is that far into Ben's psyche. And Rooney wanted a bagel with cream cheese, but Goodell told him to have oatmeal instead.

SteelTorch
09-01-2010, 09:54 AM
Won't be the first time he's gotten off easy. This was the same fat fruitcake who cheap-shotted Big Ben in 2008. Remember how the Steelers took a lot of fines for roughness that season?

Well this guy took two full strides before shouldering Ben to the ground AFTER he threw the ball - yet he didn't have to pay one red cent.

Here's hoping we cream these Clowns this year. :brownssuck

grotonsteel
09-01-2010, 10:09 AM
Won't be the first time he's gotten off easy. This was the same fat fruitcake who cheap-shotted Big Ben in 2008. Remember how the Steelers took a lot of fines for roughness that season?

Well this guy took two full strides before shouldering Ben to the ground AFTER he threw the ball - yet he didn't have to pay one red cent.

:Agree

If that cheap shot was against Tommy boy, Shaun Rogers would have got suspended 2 games min + fine.

NFL commish loves to keep dropping soap in front of Kraft...Screw that commish...He will bring down the NFL with his stupid decision.

Why the hell are there rules in NFL if you are not going to follow or apply them?????

cruzer8
09-01-2010, 12:25 PM

Actually he put his helmet in the crease between Ben's shoulder and chest. IIRC, Ben suffered a slight shoulder separation.

Captain Lemming
09-01-2010, 08:45 PM

WHAT? Dude you have it backwards.

There was NOTHING to stop them from suspending Ben for the four games if he wanted. It is the owners right, no need to "ask" the commish.

II met with the commish and basically assured us a suspension was coming and let the commish handle it. Why?

If Rooney wanted Ben to get MORE than four games, this was the only way to do it. That is what your own words imply. Also, the union could have fought and won far more easily if it is the team.

ROONEY was JUST as in favor of the penalty as the commish, likely ENCOURAGED IT, based on his own statements.

Rooney expressed full support for the commish before and AFTER the suspension.

There is ZERO basis for your assumption.

There is far more basis to believe things went down exactly as Rooney wanted it.