PDA

View Full Version : James Harrison say Kyle Orton "got what he had coming"

fordfixer
08-30-2010, 01:11 PM
James Harrison say Kyle Orton "got what he had coming"
Posted by Mike Florio on August 30, 2010 1:04 PM ET
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ad-coming/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/30/james-harrison-say-kyle-orton-got-what-he-had-coming/)

When a bank robber gets away with the money, the last thing he should do is call the bank the next day, identify himself, and say, "You're damn right I took the money."

A similar concept applies when a football player apparently gets away with a fairly blatant case of unnecessary roughness.

After recovering a fumble, which eventually was ruled not a fumble, in Sunday night's game between the Steelers and the Broncos, linebacker James Harrison encountered Broncos quarterback Kyle Orton. Orton, not cognizant of the line between bravery and lunacy, tried to tackle Harrison. So Harrison unloaded on Orton. Hard.

"He was running his mouth and getting in the way of the train," Harrison said after the game, per Mike Klis of the Denver Post. "And the train wasn't coming off the track."

If Harrison had said nothing more, we think he'd be fine. It was a rough play, but no one told Orton to get in the way of the train. But then Harrison added a sentence or two that creates the impression that he was trying to injure Orton.

"He was popping off down there the first time they were about to score," Harrison said. "So you run your mouth, expect to get something. Everything's between the lines, so he got what he had coming."

Even though Orton wasn't throwing the ball or otherwise within the protections that apply to quarterbacks, the rules prevent specific instances of unnecessary roughness. Despite the fact that no flag was thrown, Harrison's word could be enough to trigger a letter from the league office informing him that he's getting what he has coming, as in money coming out of his check.

Slapstick
08-30-2010, 01:14 PM
Hey, if Kyle Orton wants to try to tackle James Harrison in a preseason game, then I agree that he got what was coming to him...

SanAntonioSteelerFan
08-30-2010, 01:16 PM
Clearly, the thin air at Mile High Stadium caused mass brain dysfunction to the Steelers - 3 personal fouls, Lewis then punching out the glass in the locker room, and now we find out Harrison couldn't keep his mouth shut after the game.

Not indicative of a highly focused team, IMO.

It will be interesting to see how the next week or two pans out.

MCHammer
08-30-2010, 01:32 PM

Agreed.

Harrison also needs to tone it down a bit with the tough guy act. The last thing we need are refs breathing down our backs because we have a few "bad boy" characters on defense. I didn't see anything wrong with that play, but such comments are only going to attract further scrutiny of Harrison in the future.

ramblinjim
08-30-2010, 01:36 PM
I thought the play was clean too. What in the world was Orton thinking anyway? And I'm to afraid of James Harrison to make any comment on James Harrison.

cruzer8
08-30-2010, 01:36 PM
Hey, if Kyle Orton wants to try to tackle James Harrison in a preseason game, then I agree that he got what was coming to him...

Nothing wrong with what Harrison did on that play or said after. Loved it!

dsmith
08-30-2010, 01:44 PM
A similar concept applies when a football player apparently gets away with a fairly blatant case of unnecessary roughness.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

WTF? When did the NFL turn into the league of pansies? "fairly blatant case of unnecessary roughness"???

I've always hated Profootball talk. Not only do generally get things outrageously wrong, they have to insert their own biased view into every piece of !!!! they write. Florio needs to STFU and maybe focus on a different sport - cricket or soccer maybe.

feltdizz
08-30-2010, 01:57 PM
Great play... smart football IMO. I thought he was going to run out of bounds but I think when he saw Orton he made him pay.

lame the refs for not calling it an incompletion. How is a guy running with the football and trying to get as many yard as possible a roughing penalty?

birtikidis
08-30-2010, 02:11 PM
I have no problem with what Harrison said. The guy was running his mouth. was he running his mouth after he tried to tackle harrison? bet not. all harrison said was I have the ball now, it's your job to tackle me. we are in the field of play, and i'm not going out of bounds just cause you're a qb.
and the play itself? as a coach i always tell my players get lower then the other guy. to me, harrison was protecting his knees. if a qb doesn't want to get hit, stay off the field. pansie.

fezziwig
08-30-2010, 02:21 PM
It did look like James was trying to put the smack on Orton. It's a tough game and that kind of physical stuff goes on. Orton knows the rules and if you don't want contact, you better decide whom your going to challenge.

aggiebones
08-30-2010, 02:28 PM
Not sure what was wrong with what he said either:

"So you run your mouth, expect to get something. Everything's between the lines, so he got what he had coming."

He didn't say I was trying to hurt him. He just said he was talking ****e and he got run the F over. Its football. You get in my way, I trample you! Period. What the hell? I'm all for general protection of defenseless players, but he wasn't hardly defenseless. Though he did look like he regretted his decision to tackle Harrison and was in the process of digging a hole in the ground when James got to him.

ikestops85
08-30-2010, 04:03 PM
Old School football ... on any turnover you look for the QB. In this case it was the guy with the ball. As much as Harrison isn't my favorite it was just physical football.

steelblood
08-30-2010, 04:20 PM
Big physical backs try to unload on safeties all the time, like AP on Gay. If a QB goes for a tackle, he is subject to the same sort of impact. I'm so sick of all the rules to protect the QBs. Now the press thinks they can't be hit in an intentionally violent way. It is a contact sport in which the tougher more agressive player often gets an advantage. Was James trying to hurt him? Yes! That is sort of the point of running physically. Now was he trying to cheap shot him in a way that is outside the rules of the game? I don't think so. There was no helmet to helmet or anything that could justify a penalty.

RuthlessBurgher
08-30-2010, 04:39 PM
There is a difference between trying to hurt someone (inflict physical punishment...completely legal), and trying to injure someone (cheap shots...completely illegal). Harrison was merely trying to inflict pain (which is perfectly fine within the game of football), not trying to put Orton out for the season or anything (which would have been bush league, but that is not the case here).

Sugar
08-30-2010, 05:07 PM
Jack Lambert is rolling in his grave that this is even a discussion point- and he isn't even dead yet!!!

Shoe
08-30-2010, 05:19 PM
Jack Lambert is rolling in his grave that this is even a discussion point- and he isn't even dead yet!!!

Seriously....

I'm curious what those (on this board) who think he needs to "tone his act down" see as out-of-bounds? The play itself was totally legitimate, even with the back-story. And, what's wrong with any of his comments? I don't see them the least been inflammatory for a defensive player. William Gay (worst player in football in '09, next to Joe Burnett) could've said it, and I wouldn't have a problem.

Flasteel
08-30-2010, 05:50 PM
I have no problem with the play and no problem with the comments Harrison made. As a matter of fact, I loved both.

_SteeL_CurtaiN_
08-30-2010, 06:16 PM
Orten went low like he was going for the knees, as I'm watching that I am thanking the heavens James went down low and nailed him otherwise he could be on crutches with a blown out knee. Couple that with the trash talk and he got what he deserved.

AkronSteel
08-30-2010, 07:12 PM

Agreed.

Harrison also needs to tone it down a bit with the tough guy act. The last thing we need are refs breathing down our backs because we have a few "bad boy" characters on defense. I didn't see anything wrong with that play, but such comments are only going to attract further scrutiny of Harrison in the future.

I tend to disagree! I kinda like the fact that the team is playing with a little bit of a chip on their shoulders. So we got some personal foul calls and we got some extra attitude that we are carrying on and off the field. I like when the Steelers play to hurt someone or do some damage to someone. It's just a preseason game. I think the team will be fine come 13 days from now. I didn't like the sloppiness but again I don't mind that the team is playing with a little anger!!!

:2c

fezziwig
08-30-2010, 07:51 PM
I wonder what the Steelers favorite critic is saying about it ? Florio that is.

stlrz d
08-30-2010, 09:11 PM

He called it a cheap shot.

DukieBoy
08-30-2010, 09:17 PM

He called it a cheap shot.
Florio is one of the rainbow connection boys. Wasn't he high on Brady Quinn at one time?

When Deebo hit Orton, I thought "That's what Jack Lambert would do --- that's Steeler football right there."

eniparadoxgma
08-30-2010, 09:30 PM

Nothing wrong with what Harrison did on that play or said after. Loved it!

:Agree
:tt2 :tt2 :tt2

kagefury
08-30-2010, 09:56 PM
That play made me a little misty eyed'...it made me reminisce to when Bettis would run from the wide open sideline to the middle of the field...just so he could run over a CB for the hell of it...or perhaps he knew he just couldn't run any further and really just wanted the play to end...asthma...less lung capacity and all...but I digress....

The days of a player with the football in hand lookin' to blow someone up, instead of just tryin' to get to the end-zone so they can prance around and do a little dance are nearly dead...not that players don't just dance around for any damn reason anymore...

Oh, look at me, I totally just tackled that guy after he gained 8 yards...I'm awesome...that deserves my patented pose fist pump combo!!! But, I digress...again...

Alright,anyway,the only point I have is...That hit on Kyle made me chuckle then and it brings a smile to my face now.

I eF'in loved it.

AngryAsian
08-30-2010, 11:14 PM
I loved the post game comments. I need some kind of signal that there are playmakers on this defensive unit that are serious about inflicting havoc this season. This is old-school and I hope this take no prisoners mentality is infectious in the locker room. We now need to back up the swagger with stellar play.

SteelTorch
08-31-2010, 12:04 AM
Just saw who posted the "article".

Why do we still insist on posting stuff from this hack??? :HeadBanger

And why is it whenever he says "we", he really means "I"? :|

fordfixer
08-31-2010, 12:30 AM

I posted the article. I take it you didn't like it

SteelTorch
08-31-2010, 01:10 AM

The "posting" I spoke of was referring to Florio, not you. :P

fordfixer
08-31-2010, 01:11 AM

Fair enough then

RuthlessBurgher
08-31-2010, 10:22 AM

Fair enough then

Florio is a hack, but fordfixer is our hack. :lol:

flippy
08-31-2010, 12:53 PM
I think Harrison was sending a message to the league. When he has the ball, let him score.

I say we never take this guy off the field. D, ST, and we work him into the offense. Call him a TE so Bruce will love him.

Eich
08-31-2010, 01:11 PM
I wish some reporter would've asked Jimmy, "Do you think you hit Orton too hard?"

And Jimmy could've responded, "I hit him as hard as I could !".

That would've been perfect.

RuthlessBurgher
08-31-2010, 01:14 PM
Nah...Harrison should have come out with a perfect Sam Jackson voice, saying "Yes, he deserves to die, and I hope he burns in Hell!" :P

flippy
08-31-2010, 01:34 PM
Nah...Harrison should have come out with a perfect Sam Jackson voice, saying "Yes, he deserves to die, and I hope he burns in Hell!" :P

Or the Ivan Drago voice..."If he dies, he dies."

RuthlessBurgher
08-31-2010, 01:42 PM

Or the Ivan Drago voice..."If he dies, he dies."

Harrison's body with a Russian accent would just be weird. If you are going Rocky characters, he must be Clubber Lang (except Silverback pities no one...not even fools :P ). "My prediction: Pain." I could definitely see Deebo referring to the press as "parasites and leeches."