PDA

View Full Version : Lewis didn't score with Tomlin on or off the field

fordfixer
08-30-2010, 11:06 AM
Lewis didn't score with Tomlin on or off the field
By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, August 30, 2010
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 97081.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_697081.html)

DENVER A bad night Sunday got worse for cornerback Keenan Lewis as the Steelers filed into the visiting locker room at Invesco Field following a 34-17 loss to the Broncos.

Lewis, who got benched in the second quarter after picking up two personal foul penalties, punched a sign that was encased in glass. The glass shattered and many of the players had to walk by a guard telling them to watch their step and Tomlin making it very clear why there was broken glass outside of the Steelers' locker room.

"That's what you call young and dumb right there," Tomlin said to the players that passed him. "Watch your step. No. (23) is playing bad and doing stupid stuff as well."

Lewis started at the cornerback spot opposite Ike Taylor in place of Bryant McFadden, who didn't play because of an arm injury.

Lewis, who appeared to be pushing McFadden for the starting job gave up an 18-yard catch to Eddie Royal on the second play of the game and then tackled the Broncos wide receiver out of bounds.

"The first (unnecessary roughness penalty) I didn't know he was out of bounds," Lewis said. "The second one, that was my fault."

Lewis got flagged in the second quarter for unnecessary roughness after tackling Bronces wide receiver Brandon Lloyd.

Gay promptly replaced Lewis at cornerback, and after the game Tomlin said of the latter, "He stunk it up."

The 6-foot, 208-pounder Lewis didn't do anything to help himself after the game as Tomlin was livid when he saw the broken glass outside of the Steelers' locker room.

Lewis said he meant to punch the wall, not the sign.

"He had a tough night," said Steelers wide receiver Mike Wallace, who is Lewis' best friend. "That's why I told him we have next week. Shake it off, bounce back. We all make mistakes. Hopefully he can get back to the Keenan I know."

SanAntonioSteelerFan
08-30-2010, 11:10 AM
I must say, Tomlin looked positively Cowher-like when he grabbed Lewis coming off the field after his 2nd personal foul.

fordfixer
08-30-2010, 11:14 AM
He should have grabbed him by the facemask

phillyesq
08-30-2010, 11:30 AM

And given him the spittle shower. :lol:

I didn't realize that Lewis also punched out some glass. Very disappointing.

I wonder if he is going to get another opportunity next week, or if Tomlin is going to sit him down to prove a point?

papillon
08-30-2010, 11:56 AM

I wonder if he is going to get another opportunity next week, or if Tomlin is going to sit him down to prove a point?

Sit him down? He may be fortunate to be on the team after tomorrow. Mike Tomlin was not a happy camper with his play or behavior.

Pappy

steelblood
08-30-2010, 12:22 PM

Sit him down? He may be fortunate to be on the team after tomorrow. Mike Tomlin was not a happy camper with his play or behavior.

Pappy

I'm not sure why we drafted him in the first place. He was overdrafted and hyped as an Ike Taylor type corner by the STeelers front office. I've been patient and waited for results. I was happy to hear he had a good camp. However, I've never seen him play well on the field in the preseason (this year or last). He does not have Taylor's footwork, speed, backpedal, or drive on the ball in front of him. He is a project who may not have the raw skills to yield enough results. He looked lost out there and was consistantly beaten.

Honestly, I'd go with Crezdon Butler and Madison (we need him on special teams). Butler has shown me more than Lewis has in preseason games and has received rave reviews throughout camp. Butler would make a great dime back and has fantastic ball skills. My corners would be IKe, BMac, Gay, Butler, Burnett (who plays decent special teams and can play the nickel in a pinch), and Madison (our coverage units looking mighty iffy AGAIN. Thanks Captain Kangaroo.)

Slapstick
08-30-2010, 12:50 PM
Personally, I don't believe that either infraction was worthy of a 15 yard flag...

Smashing a glass sign is immaturity of Jeff Reed-like proportions and is very disappointing...

But, I can understand why Lewis was frustrated...

ramblinjim
08-30-2010, 01:32 PM
It's a pre-season game so no harm no foul and I think coach Tomlin did a great job with his disciplinary action on this one, at least so far. Keenan needs to play better and then not lose his head when he's the one that didn't play well in the first place.

It's his first start in the pro's, the next one better be...well...better.

RuthlessBurgher
08-30-2010, 01:40 PM
I hope a shard of glass didn't fly up and cut Farrior on the head. :wink:

feltdizz
08-30-2010, 01:46 PM
Lewis looked like a kid who had no control over his emotions. He lost his cool fast. He was easily turned and he was just too hyped up.

pepsyman1
08-30-2010, 05:48 PM
I must say, Tomlin looked positively Cowher-like when he grabbed Lewis coming off the field after his 2nd personal foul.

I was actually VERY happy to see that! I like Tomlin, but his team looks undisciplined at times and after last year's "unleash hell" quote failed to materialize into any measurable changes in personnel or performance I'm glad to see some actual consequences for some of theses guys when they play/act stupid.

Chadman
08-30-2010, 06:08 PM
If Lewis was going to get cut, Chadman expects Tomiln wouldn't have said much to him- just cut him.

No way Lewis gets cut. Ok- 1 bad game for a guy that probably was trying too hard & not thinking hard enough. Then, the pressure built up & he acted dumb off the field.

Sounds like this is a guy that WANTS to do well, but isn't ready.

Will he sit for the year? Perhaps. But Chadman bets that he is the guy Tomlin expects to step in as a starter down the track.

NJ-STEELER
08-30-2010, 06:15 PM
how does a guy who earned a start at corner over gay and crezdon once mcfadden got hurt get cut "cause he isn't as good as them"?

Eddie Spaghetti
08-30-2010, 06:33 PM
no way he gets cut IMO.

you do have to wonder how far down in the pecking order he fell with his performance during and after the game. my guess is at least he sits behind gay in the rotation now.

NorthCoast
08-30-2010, 09:33 PM
Aren't you forgetting last week? Wasn't he flagged for a personal foul then as well? If this is the second week in a row, the kid has some serious growing to do. I would not be surprised if he gets benched for a game....he needs to learn early how to control his emotions.

Kid
08-30-2010, 09:45 PM
tomlin: 'blah blah blah'.

c'mon, who's he kidding here?

eniparadoxgma
08-31-2010, 12:21 AM

Yup...stupid overpaid janitor blah blah blah.

hawaiiansteel
08-31-2010, 12:55 AM

Yup...stupid overpaid janitor blah blah blah.

Tomlin has been our head coach for three whole years already and we only have ONE Super Bowl victory to show for it...and now he loses a preseason game!

we can't allow this to continue, this only 1 Lombardi Trophy every 3 years is totally unacceptable. oh sure, he's the youngest coach to ever win a Super Bowl, but there can't be any doubt left that Tomlin is a stupid overpaid janitor... :D