PDA

View Full Version : Dale Lolley's Post-Denver Thoughts

phillyesq
08-30-2010, 10:14 AM
http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/2010/08/post-denver-thoughts.html#links

Post-Denver thoughts
Still think Dennis Dixon is a better option to open the season at quarterback for the Steelers instead of Byron Leftwich?

Sunday night against Denver, we got a good look at some of the poor decision making that scares the Steelers coaching staff with Dixon.

Leftwich didn't look good either, but he was playing with an offensive line made up of reserves.

Yes, Dixon has potential, but this is a team that can't wait for that to develop. It needs an NFL-ready QB in two weeks.

That's why Leftwich will be the starter when the Steelers open the season against Atlanta.

Actually, what the Steelers need is a cross between Dixon and Leftwich. That proved to be Charlie Batch Sunday night, but, as the Steelers have found, when Batch plays too much, he gets hurt.

Maurkice Pouncey did a credible job against the Broncos and more than held his own. In fact, the first-team offensive line played pretty well.

And spare me the "this guy sucks because he gave up a sack or had a false start" stuff. Offensive linemen are beaten on occasion and Denver is one of the loudest stadiums in the league.

The personal fouls by the Pittsburgh defense for the second consecutive game were troubling.

The call against James Harrison on the opening drive was a little ticky tacky, but the others were pretty legit. Those are the kind of things that can't happen.

Jonathan Dwyer finished with 89 yards on 13 carries, but also made a couple of mental mistakes.

Those are the things that have really frustrated the coaching staff with Dwyer. It's one thing to miss time with injuries. It's another to miss that time and not pay attention enough to know what you're supposed to do.

Troy Aikman was making a big deal of Denver's supposed ability to establish a running game against the Steelers. But Denver had 38 yards rushing on 14 carries in the first half, a nifty 2.7 yards per carry average.

That, folks, is not establishing a running game.

The Steelers pulled a number of defensive starters long before Denver took out its offensive starters.

Antonio Brown didn't help his cause to win the return job by fielding a punt inside the 5. But it's a rookie mistake that can be corrected.

He's still the best option for this team returning kicks.

He makes a good point on Dwyer. Despite some nice runs, there was the attempted hand-off where he ran the wrong way, and I'm sure other mental mistakes that I didn't notice.

Oviedo
08-30-2010, 10:30 AM

Post-Denver thoughts
Still think Dennis Dixon is a better option to open the season at quarterback for the Steelers instead of Byron Leftwich?

Sunday night against Denver, we got a good look at some of the poor decision making that scares the Steelers coaching staff with Dixon.

Leftwich didn't look good either, but he was playing with an offensive line made up of reserves.

Yes, Dixon has potential, but this is a team that can't wait for that to develop. It needs an NFL-ready QB in two weeks.

That's why Leftwich will be the starter when the Steelers open the season against Atlanta.

Actually, what the Steelers need is a cross between Dixon and Leftwich. That proved to be Charlie Batch Sunday night, but, as the Steelers have found, when Batch plays too much, he gets hurt.

Maurkice Pouncey did a credible job against the Broncos and more than held his own. In fact, the first-team offensive line played pretty well.

And spare me the "this guy sucks because he gave up a sack or had a false start" stuff. Offensive linemen are beaten on occasion and Denver is one of the loudest stadiums in the league.

The personal fouls by the Pittsburgh defense for the second consecutive game were troubling.

The call against James Harrison on the opening drive was a little ticky tacky, but the others were pretty legit. Those are the kind of things that can't happen.

Jonathan Dwyer finished with 89 yards on 13 carries, but also made a couple of mental mistakes.

Those are the things that have really frustrated the coaching staff with Dwyer. It's one thing to miss time with injuries. It's another to miss that time and not pay attention enough to know what you're supposed to do.

Troy Aikman was making a big deal of Denver's supposed ability to establish a running game against the Steelers. But Denver had 38 yards rushing on 14 carries in the first half, a nifty 2.7 yards per carry average.

The Steelers pulled a number of defensive starters long before Denver took out its offensive starters.

Antonio Brown didn't help his cause to win the return job by fielding a punt inside the 5. But it's a rookie mistake that can be corrected.

He makes a good point on Dwyer. Despite some nice runs, there was the attempted hand-off where he ran the wrong way, and I'm sure other mental mistakes that I didn't notice.

I'd still keep Dwyer over Summers. Just too much there to let go. Give him time to learn. No way he makes it to the PS and even if he did as RB injuries started to pile up he would get grabbed.

Slapstick
08-30-2010, 10:35 AM
If it's the play I'm thinking of, I don't think Dwyer ran the wrong way...

The fullback was offset to the QB's left and Leftwich turned right...

But, it is entirely possible that there was another botched handoff..

aggiebones
08-30-2010, 10:47 AM
totally Dwyer there. Sadly, had we not played him much or he hadn't busted off some nice runs against the 4th string D, we could EASILY have stashed him on PS. I still doubt anyone will take him and put him on their active roster. Teams are looking for those ready to contribute, not projects. So I still think he goes PS.

I'm also wondering how many guys we can put on the PUP? Do they go on the active 53 or are they bonuses?
It wouldn't hurt for Urbik, Dwyer or someone similar to catch a bad ankle sprain to go on IR. We won't be using them, but they could bloom late.

phillyesq
08-30-2010, 10:51 AM
I'd still keep Dwyer over Summers. Just too much there to let go. Give him time to learn. No way he makes it to the PS and even if he did as RB injuries started to pile up he would get grabbed.

I'm not so sure that he would get grabbed by another team. For many teams, it seems that RB is often a difficult cut. They'll have a guy that leads the team in rushing in the preseason but then doesn't stick on the roster (think Redman last year). Every team has guys that know their system, that the coaches have gotten to know through camp and preseason. I'm also not sure that a team would rush to put somebody on the roster that isn't quite NFL ready.

I like Dwyer's potential, but I'd like to see him spend some time on the PS.

As for Summers, I'd cut him and grab a real FB. There will invariably be a few real blocking FBs cut. Grab one of them. The fact that Summers makes me pine for Carey Davis tells me all I need to know about him.

steelblood
08-30-2010, 12:28 PM

Post-Denver thoughts

BINGO! Summers is terrible. He whiffed several times again. Even on Dwyer's TD, he almost missed his man. Dwyer simple used Summers as a pick. David Johnson is a better FB and showed some nice hands in the game. Johnson is also huge (dude looks 270 this year). Still he moves pretty well. Keeping Summers is a tactical error. He has never shown anything resembling NFL talent as a blocker.

Slapstick
08-30-2010, 01:00 PM
Post-Denver thoughts

Okay, Dale...why has Leftwich never looked good behind the first string O-Line?

And when Dixon is playing behind the offensive line made up of reserves, why does he look good?

cruzer8
08-30-2010, 01:32 PM
Post-Denver thoughts

And when Dixon is playing behind the offensive line made up of reserves, why does he look good?

Because he's playing against the first team D?

Because he's playing against reserves?

Nice breakdown by Lolley. Thanks for sharing.

dsmith
08-30-2010, 01:58 PM
Post-Denver thoughts

Dixon is an athlete. When he is on the field with the reserves, he can keep plays alive with his athleticism and make plays against the 2nd string defense. When he tries to do things against the starting defense, the gaps are smaller and his athleticism is neutralized as everyone is faster.

On the other hand, Leftwich has zero athleticism at this point and if he doesn't get outstanding OL play he can not extend the play at all.

I'm not thrilled with Leftwich starting, but I do believe he gives the Steelers the best chance to win.

Lebsteel
08-30-2010, 02:25 PM
Post-Denver thoughts

Dixon is an athlete. When he is on the field with the reserves, he can keep plays alive with his athleticism and make plays against the 2nd string defense. When he tries to do things against the starting defense, the gaps are smaller and his athleticism is neutralized as everyone is faster.

On the other hand, Leftwich has zero athleticism at this point and if he doesn't get outstanding OL play he can not extend the play at all.

I'm not thrilled with Leftwich starting, but I do believe he gives the Steelers the best chance to win.
I can't argue with your logic, but without the mistakes made by Dixon last night, he was far more effective than Leftwich. If Dixon could learn quickly from his mistakes, I'd rather go with him. I think he moves the ball down the field much better than Lefty. BUT, his mistakes are game changing ones and in a tight game that would kill us. I guess I would start Lefty, but IF he is totally ineffective, I would not hesitate a bit to insert Dixon.

dsmith
08-30-2010, 04:09 PM
I can't argue with your logic, but without the mistakes made by Dixon last night, he was far more effective than Leftwich. If Dixon could learn quickly from his mistakes, I'd rather go with him. I think he moves the ball down the field much better than Lefty. BUT, his mistakes are game changing ones and in a tight game that would kill us. I guess I would start Lefty, but IF he is totally ineffective, I would not hesitate a bit to insert Dixon.

I think it is fair to say that Dixon has more upside than Leftwich. However, at this point we hopefully just need someone to not loose the game. I think Aikman said something similar last night. This is a team with decent aspirations being 2 years removed from a championship. I think going with the unflashy vet at this point is the smart thing to do.

Slapstick
08-31-2010, 08:43 AM

So, when Dixon plays with the reserves, it makes him look good...but when Leftwich plays with the reserves, it makes him look bad?

I'm confused...is playing with the reserves good or bad?

If Dixon looked good against other teams' 2nd string, why couldn't Leftwich complete a pass against Denver's? If Dixon looks good playing against reserves, shouldn't Leftwich dominate them?

ikestops85
08-31-2010, 11:36 AM

So, when Dixon plays with the reserves, it makes him look good...but when Leftwich plays with the reserves, it makes him look bad?

If Dixon looked good against other teams' 2nd string, why couldn't Leftwich complete a pass against Denver's? If Dixon looks good playing against reserves, shouldn't Leftwich dominate them?

Quit trying to use logic when reading these so called 'reporters'. It will only make your head hurt.

feltdizz
08-31-2010, 11:55 AM

Quit trying to use logic when reading these so called 'reporters'. It will only make your head hurt.

It sounds like people are using excuses to make their choice look good. LOL...

Dixon looks bad against the starters because they are faster...
Lefty looks bad against the reserves because they are slower.
Dixon looks good against the reserves because they are slower...
Lefty looks better against the starters because...

well outside of the bomb to Wallace I can't really say Lefty has looked good but he hasn't thrown INT's.

Go with Batch.

SteelAbility
08-31-2010, 12:03 PM
I really think with some proper coaching about situational passing, Dixon would end up being more effective than Leftwich. My 2C. There are arguments both ways. I think the tie-breaker is that Dixon can extend plays better and make Ds back off a bit with the threat of running put into the mix..

cruzer8
08-31-2010, 02:48 PM

Dixon's speed against back ups is what sets him apart when playing against the reserves.

Lefty, having a reserve O-Line that is getting beat can't move like Dixon can.

Lefty looks better with the starters because he has a better O-Line in front of him.

Dixon looks worse with the starters because his speed isn't as much of a differentiating factor.

Dixon can't read a defense as well as Lefty can.

See, it's not that complicated.

frankthetank1
08-31-2010, 03:21 PM

Dixon's speed against back ups is what sets him apart when playing against the reserves.

Lefty looks better with the starters because he has a better O-Line in front of him.

Dixon looks worse with the starters because his speed isn't as much of a differentiating factor.

why did lefty look horrible against detroit then? he played with the first string o-line against detroits first string defense. it was the same result in denver with the back up o-line against a backup defense.

Oviedo
08-31-2010, 03:33 PM

why did lefty look horrible against detroit then? he played with the first string o-line against detroits first string defense. it was the same result in denver with the back up o-line against a backup defense.

He actually had a nice drive going until the fumbles by our RB.

cruzer8
08-31-2010, 04:07 PM
I didn't think Lefty looked horrible.

And another thing fans need to keep in mind: Teams do NOT game plan for the pre-season. They put in things they want to work on but they do NOT game plan for what an opponent may do.

ikestops85
08-31-2010, 04:10 PM

Didn't Dixon have that same reserve O-line that gets beat. Although our reserve O-line completely dominated the Giants reserve D-line. :?

Lefty looks better when playing with the starters because the O-line is better? Better than what? Our starting O-line is probably ranked in the bottom third of the league.

I agree that Dixon can't read a defense as well as Lefty but Lefty can't react as fast as Dixon to pressure put on by said defense.

See, it's not that simple.

cruzer8
08-31-2010, 04:13 PM
Actually it is that simple. ;)

feltdizz
08-31-2010, 04:20 PM
Pouncey...

all the reserves vs. starters OL talk isn't needed.

Pouncey was the difference in both... he was a reserve and he is now a starter.

It's that simple.

Slapstick
08-31-2010, 10:15 PM

So, Leftwich can't move the ball vs. starters or reserves and it's everybody's fault but his? If you call 0/4 looking better, I suggest you visit http://www.dictionary.com

blacknblue80s
08-31-2010, 10:53 PM
IMO, Dixon looks better with the reserves because that is where he has been getting most of his practice and preseason reps. He has been playing with the backups and knows their tendencies. Lefty has been getting the reps with the first team and thus, is more comfortable with the starters.

I really think the coaching staff should have given Dixon a chance earlier in training camp instead of just handing the job to Leftwich.