PDA

View Full Version : Denver Game - Random Thoughts and Observations

phillyesq
08-29-2010, 11:23 PM
For me, the general theme tonight was disappointment. Lots of young guys getting a chance, and most were unimpressive.

- I Hope Farrior is ok. Hopefully it is just a gash, and nothing more serious.

- Sepulveda disappointed on KOs again. Then again, Reed wasn't any better.

- The offense is still frustrating in red zone.

- I was hoping for big things from Keenan Lewis, but was really disappointed. Who knows how deep those personal fouls get him in the doghouse. I'm not giving up on him by any means, but I hoped to see more.

- I know that I'm a critic of the Timmons pick, but I'll certainly admit that he looked good.

- Did Brown play his way out of a roster spot? He made some nice grabs (including the touchdown), but was generally unimpressive on returns, showing poor decision making. Logan didn't do much, but we know what he can do on returns.

- IMO, Dixon’s best pass was the incomplete pass to Wallace late in the second quarter - I was glad to see him keep his eyes downfield when he got out of the pocket. Otherwise, I was unimpressed with Dixon. I was thinking, at one point, that he looked a bit better running the 2 minute drill, but then he ended it with a terrible decision. He may be ok in some special packages, but overall, I think it was clear that Leftwich will be the starter while Ben is gone. Even though he had a few nice runs, he wasn't as quick when playing against first stringers.

- Great picks by Gay and Butler, but then Butler turns around and gets beat.

- The special teams are still terrible. Why does it look like the Steelers never have any blocking for their return guys? A few nice plays from Sylvester and Logan of all people covering KOs, but it would be nice if Sepulveda didn't always have to take an active role covering punts.

- Some good, hard runs from Dwyer. Not sure if it gets him on the 53, but still a nice effort.

- Tank Summers doesn't impress me at all as a FB - if the Steelers can get a real blocking FB on waivers, they should do so without hesitation.

Chadman
08-29-2010, 11:35 PM
Did Dwyer just earn himself another look on the roster?

Quite possibly.

Dixon did what Chadman expected- some good, some bad. He's the #3 QB on the team. Leftwich was brought in to hold the spot until Ben is back. Leftwich is Batch Mark 2. He doesn't have to be great- just servicable.

The OL...hmm....starting to think that Essex should go & just let Foster play. Can't be much worse. Adams will make the team, Max & Kemo hopefully pull their head out & do 'something' on the left. Waiting for the Kugs effect to take place...

Defense is playing very vanilla. Not too worried at this stage. Timmons looks ready...

SanAntonioSteelerFan
08-29-2010, 11:35 PM
For me, the general theme tonight was disappointment. Lots of young guys getting a chance, and most were unimpressive.

- I Hope Farrior is ok. Hopefully it is just a gash, and nothing more serious.

- Sepulveda disappointed on KOs again. Then again, Reed wasn't any better.

- The offense is still frustrating in red zone.

- I was hoping for big things from Keenan Lewis, but was really disappointed. Who knows how deep those personal fouls get him in the doghouse. I'm not giving up on him by any means, but I hoped to see more.

- I know that I'm a critic of the Timmons pick, but I'll certainly admit that he looked good.

- Did Brown play his way out of a roster spot? He made some nice grabs (including the touchdown), but was generally unimpressive on returns, showing poor decision making. Logan didn't do much, but we know what he can do on returns.

- IMO, Dixon’s best pass was the incomplete pass to Wallace late in the second quarter - I was glad to see him keep his eyes downfield when he got out of the pocket. Otherwise, I was unimpressed with Dixon. I was thinking, at one point, that he looked a bit better running the 2 minute drill, but then he ended it with a terrible decision. He may be ok in some special packages, but overall, I think it was clear that Leftwich will be the starter while Ben is gone. Even though he had a few nice runs, he wasn't as quick when playing against first stringers.

- Great picks by Gay and Butler, but then Butler turns around and gets beat.

- The special teams are still terrible. Why does it look like the Steelers never have any blocking for their return guys? A few nice plays from Sylvester and Logan of all people covering KOs, but it would be nice if Sepulveda didn't always have to take an active role covering punts.

- Some good, hard runs from Dwyer. Not sure if it gets him on the 53, but still a nice effort.

- Tank Summers doesn't impress me at all as a FB - if the Steelers can get a real blocking FB on waivers, they should do so without hesitation.

:Agree

feltdizz
08-29-2010, 11:48 PM
Dixon didnt help his cause with that INT in the endzone.

Is Lefty any better? He looked like he had no interest coming in late in the 3rd. It would have been nice/reassuring if he marched us down field.

The OL is still hard to watch. Pouncey was great but he other guys were terrible tonight.

Lewis was boo boo. I know he is young but it looked like he takes completions too personal. He was easily turned around.

The D as a whole was bad. The 5 to 7 yard out is easy money. It's there all night and unless CB's start jumping routes or Troy turns it on it could be a long year.

Timmons is a beast.

Dwyer surprised me and finally played like we all hoped. It may still be too late.

Reed made a great comment. It definietely looks like the ST's players don't want to be out there. Sep showed how hard it is to kick it in the endzone. Denver did it wth ease but Sep couldnt do it once. He is great at fighting off blocks but hmmmm... Should he really have to make so many tackles?

Brown put Logan back in the mix... he made some terrible mistakes on ST's.

Overall we looked like hot garbage tonight. It looked like Tomlin and the other coaches said tonight will decide who makes the team and all the players tried way too hard to impress the coaches. Is rare we get to see the Steelers in prime time in the preseason and they stunk up the place.

Thin air? Is Denvers D that good? Does our O stink without Ben? Is our D headed for another long 4th quarter? Who knows but this is what preseason is for. :tt1

BradshawsHairdresser
08-29-2010, 11:54 PM
Is Lefty any better? He looked like he had no interest coming in late in the 3rd.

Does Lefty EVER look interested?

ANPSTEEL
08-29-2010, 11:55 PM
Ditto on the Summers comments... not sure what he brings as a FB. At this point- I'd rather see Johnson lined up as the FB than Summers. - maybe even Redman - at least he is a real running threat.

I know it's preseason and all- but it is extraordinarily clear, how difficult this offensive line has with quicker athletic DLinemen. Pouncey makes the rest of the OL look like slugs.

The game hasn't slowed down for Dixon yet- maybe it never will. He looked uncomfortable, and certainly made some terrible decisions.

Lefty looks exactly like what I am afraid we get with him in there. ooooppphhh.

Dwyer was auditioning for someone else's roster- unless he has show some ability to play FB- that we have not seen.

Brown, imo, helped Logan's cause as the returner.

Kennan Lewis had a terrible night. On the plays that I could see him, he was getting caught back on his heels. When a DB does that its over.

Hartwig finaly got in- and one of his first couple snaps was a lookout block- that got Lefty smushed. In all fairness, Scott threw a lookout on the same play.

No real way to put lipstick on that pig. It certainly seemed like Denver came out more focused and intent upon winning the game. Pitt looked... well, they looked disinterested and confused.

hawaiiansteel
08-30-2010, 12:00 AM
Is Lefty any better? He looked like he had no interest coming in late in the 3rd.

Does Lefty EVER look interested?

one time back in his college days Leftwich looked very interested in helping his team win...

http://assets.espn.go.com/i/pkg/ncf/100/top_plays_100.jpg

plainnasty
08-30-2010, 12:01 AM
I don't think Dwyer makes the 53 man roster, but he may have at least secured an invite to the practice squad. He needs a redshirt year anyways.

The thin air didn't seem to help our kickers.

I would be more comfortable going into the season with Logan as the returning, but I don't see the numbers working out that way.

I am still waiting for Spaeth to either make a block or pick up a yard after a catch.

I think that Grisham would produce if given the chance, but he won't get it.

I thought that Sylvester played himself off of the 53 and onto the practice squad.

I would expect that 5 of these players will be released tomorrow: Jolly, Pitman, Wright, McLendon, Bright, Brooks or A. Jones

StarSpangledSteeler
08-30-2010, 12:16 AM
I don't think Dwyer makes the 53 man roster, but he may have at least secured an invite to the practice squad. He needs a redshirt year anyways.

I would be more comfortable going into the season with Logan as the returning, but I don't see the numbers working out that way.

I am still waiting for Spaeth to either make a block or pick up a yard after a catch.

I thought that Sylvester played himself off of the 53 and onto the practice squad.

I would expect that 5 of these players will be released tomorrow: Jolly, Pitman, Wright, McLendon, Bright, Brooks or A. Jones

Gloom and doom for you huh? I'd like to see your 53, because i bet you have some washed up vets on there.

I think Sly is on the final 53.

Shawn
08-30-2010, 12:16 AM

Quite possibly.

Dixon did what Chadman expected- some good, some bad. He's the #3 QB on the team. Leftwich was brought in to hold the spot until Ben is back. Leftwich is Batch Mark 2. He doesn't have to be great- just servicable.

The OL...hmm....starting to think that Essex should go & just let Foster play. Can't be much worse. Adams will make the team, Max & Kemo hopefully pull their head out & do 'something' on the left. Waiting for the Kugs effect to take place...

Defense is playing very vanilla. Not too worried at this stage. Timmons looks ready...

I would like to see Dwyer stay and Summers go.

Crash
08-30-2010, 12:19 AM
The offense is still frustrating in red zone.

And it will be as long as Matt Speath is on the field.

plainnasty
08-30-2010, 12:30 AM

Gloom and doom for you huh? I'd like to see your 53, because i bet you have some washed up vets on there.

I think Sly is on the final 53.
Sounds like a challenge

StarSpangledSteeler
08-30-2010, 12:47 AM
1) Pouncey looks like a 3-year pro. His blitz pick up awareness is superb. And he seems to be locking onto his defender well with good technique (without holding).

2) Antonio Brown actually looks like a promising receiver (returns aside).

3) Wallace is not just speed. He has good hands as well.

4) At some point, Arians has to be fired. Or take away his short yardage play calling privileges.

5) This was a valuable learning experience for Dixon. I don't think he outright sucks. I just think he needs a lot of work on his reads and decision making. He did run the ball well though.

6) Part of the reason Hills is doing so well is his hands. He's really locking up those DE's when he can. Then punching on occasion to keep them off balance.

7) Troy, Ike, and Timmons look really really fast out there.

8) It will be up to our defense to get us to 2-2 without Ben.

9) I liked the QB snap distribution tonight.

10) Kemo might be our worst OL right now. Unless it's a vanilla run left side play, he really struggles.

brothervad
08-30-2010, 01:09 AM
All those folks who are so sour on Dixon...you have been spoiled by the unearthly success of a rookie Big Ben.

That was a HUGE exception not the rule.

Remember how the Titans took a rather cautious/measured approach with Steve McNair?

That turned out rather well for them...I would suggest that most QB's take 2-3 seasons before they start to "get" it.

I am not suggesting that Dixon is McNair...I am just saying...making a call now is just a bit premature.

brothervad

NJ-STEELER
08-30-2010, 01:36 AM
RE: summers

on dwyer's TD, he missed the block on the guy who almost tackled JD in the backfield

hellbanger
08-30-2010, 01:40 AM
1) Pouncey looks like a 3-year pro. His blitz pick up awareness is superb. And he seems to be locking onto his defender well with good technique (without holding).

2) Antonio Brown actually looks like a promising receiver (returns aside).

3) Wallace is not just speed. He has good hands as well.

4) At some point, Arians has to be fired. Or take away his short yardage play calling privileges.

5) This was a valuable learning experience for Dixon. I don't think he outright sucks. I just think he needs a lot of work on his reads and decision making. He did run the ball well though.

6) Part of the reason Hills is doing so well is his hands. He's really locking up those DE's when he can. Then punching on occasion to keep them off balance.

7) Troy, Ike, and Timmons look really really fast out there.

8) It will be up to our defense to get us to 2-2 without Ben.

9) I liked the QB snap distribution tonight.

10) Kemo might be our worst OL right now. Unless it's a vanilla run left side play, he really struggles.

Good post. Kemo is bad. I dont know if he is dumb or doesnt like football or just outclassed but with Hartwing out, He was the one getting pushed back constantly. Hartwig probably should be cut. He was whiffing his blocks against the Broncos back-ups. I think he's butt hurt a rookie outplayed him in every apect of his game.

Pouncy is a monster and might be our best lineman by mid-seadon. Which is great and kinda sad at the same time.

Timmons needs to stay healthy, hes a future pro-bowler.

If Arians calls a pitch out, bootleg or whatever retarded play, for one lousy yard, Tomlin needs to punch his face.

KO coverage still suspect.

Is Keenan Lewis too much of a hot head? I remember Ike was a big time hothead when he came in the league. He turned out all right.

I think this team needs Ben. Hes damn good. No one tell him that though. We need his head straight, damnit.

Larry foote. He doesnt look good. Hes bad on ST. He looks slow too. He has not had a good pre-season.

I was kinda bummed with Sanders performance, He didnt really go after the balls thrown to him.

Logan wants a job. He made a Great tackle on ST. I think theres something good with Brown though He really had bad blocking on his returns. I think he's a keeper over Logan in the bigger picture though.

focosteeler
08-30-2010, 03:49 AM
sorry i know this is lazy i didn't bother reading the others....

i was there for warm ups and sep was putting kick offs into the endzone, i dont understand why its so hard gametime

ben makes our offense work, moore shouldve had a touchdown catch

tv does not do wallace justice...you have to be there to fully comprehend the speed :shock:

pouncey is a man beast :Bow

never realized how average kemo is

dwyer looked pretty good (against 3rd stringers)

dixon needs to throw the ball away :HeadBanger

i know dixon can run but the 4th and short call made me want to hit someone

batch is not as fragile as i thought

logan may be small but he made a nice tackle

back up safties gave tebow huge throwing lanes

special teams still worries me

overall i think pouncey impressed all tonight...hartwig is on the trade block
we looked bad tonight, but hopefully its just preseason

1st and Goal--
08-30-2010, 05:55 AM
I have no idea what to make of last nights game. But, this one stunned me.

I was in a store picking up some goodies for the game and the Steeler pre-game show was on in the background loud and clear. For a good 20 minutes all the guys talked about was how Sep was kicking the living crap out of the ball practicing KO's. I mean they were estatic, laughing as he [according to them] pounded kick after kick out of the endzone. One guy said well there was some wind, but then he turned around and did the same thing in the other direction. I was smiling.

Then the game started. Sep teed the thing up. I was still smiling. Good pin these ______'s down at the 20. Give them some of their own medicine. Then, WTF --a fizzer. Ok stuff like that happens. Then KO #2. I'm thinking. Put this_______in the stands back of the end zone. Then, WTF---a blooper. Go figure!

You know, that has to be the biggest home field advantage in the entire NFL. Their kicking game probably wins them more games than anyone could imagine. They get out of trouble when pinned down deep in their own territory with booming punts, rarely does anyone get great field position to start drives. Sure, both teams have the same opportunity. Right, but the slight difference is they practice this daily year in year out. Like I said this is probably the most lopsided home field advantage in the entire NFL.

Now I have often wondered why this league has never thought to suggest maybe these clowns should have a domed stadium. Denver weather isn't exactly like Palm Springs California year round now. Is it? What I'm saying is would it be possible to regulate the air situation in an enclosed stadium. I don't know? I was just wondering. Any scientists, or engineers or anybody that knows about stuff like that.

jj28west
08-30-2010, 06:21 AM
--> Saw some rare efficient running between the tackles by Mendy. Could this be the Pouncey factor?

--> Suprised to see CB blitzes by Ike in preseason. Maybe its just one more thing for offenses to prepare for and think about.

--> Even though it may not be this year, I still feel Dwyer will be a goood RB in this league.

--> As another poster already stated, Sanders needs to be more aggressive but Dixon hopefully will learn to freeze safeties and DB's better by looking off. Right now the DB's seem to be sitting on the routes.

Discipline of Steel
08-30-2010, 06:24 AM
I have no idea what to make of last nights game. But, this one stunned me.

I was in a store picking up some goodies for the game and the Steeler pre-game show was on in the background loud and clear. For a good 20 minutes all the guys talked about was how Sep was kicking the living crap out of the ball practicing KO's. I mean they were estatic, laughing as he [according to them] pounded kick after kick out of the endzone. One guy said well there was some wind, but then he turned around and did the same thing in the other direction. I was smiling.

Then the game started. Sep teed the thing up. I was still smiling. Good pin these ______'s down at the 20. Give them some of their own medicine. Then, WTF --a fizzer. Ok stuff like that happens. Then KO #2. I'm thinking. Put this_______in the stands back of the end zone. Then, WTF---a blooper. Go figure!

You know, that has to be the biggest home field advantage in the entire NFL. Their kicking game probably wins them more games than anyone could imagine. They get out of trouble when pinned down deep in their own territory with booming punts, rarely does anyone get great field position to start drives. Sure, both teams have the same opportunity. Right, but the slight difference is they practice this daily year in year out. Like I said this is probably the most lopsided home field advantage in the entire NFL.

Now I have often wondered why this league has never thought to suggest maybe these clowns should have a domed stadium. Denver weather isn't exactly like Palm Springs California year round now. Is it? What I'm saying is would it be possible to regulate the air situation in an enclosed stadium. I don't know? I was just wondering. Any scientists, or engineers or anybody that knows about stuff like that.

They would have to put a tight seal on the dome and pressurize the entire interior air space. That would require the worlds largest air handler ever.

ramblinjim
08-30-2010, 07:46 AM
A friend of mine played basketball for a very short time at University of Denver and his sickle cell trait acted up and he couldn't play there either and they said at the time that it was the altitude.

DukieBoy
08-30-2010, 07:47 AM
The highlight of the night for the Steelers was the end of the game.

kiwi_sarah
08-30-2010, 07:51 AM
The highlight of the night for the Steelers was the end of the game.

Can't have been a fun flight home though.

My highlight? Seeing Brady Quinn get sacked. Tickled my funny bone for some reason.

Oviedo
08-30-2010, 08:01 AM
These would be mistakes:

1. It would be a huge mistake to cut Brown and keep Logan. Brown will be fine with returns and he looks like a potentially great receiver. So quick!!! If Brown hasn't made this roster then I don't know what a player has to do.

2. It would be a mistake to cut Dwyer and keep Summers. Dwyer showed what he could do if he develops and gets a chance. After last night no way a team desperate for RB depth doesn't grab him.

3. It would be a mistake to start Dixon. He looked very ordinary. I'm all for having him with specific packages but we saw the type of mistakes that we can't afford while Ben is out. Experience and Lefty get the starting job.

4. It would be a huge mistake for anyone to continue to criticize Timmons. He was the best LB on the field last night by a country mile. When he comes on an inside blitz he is unstoppable. His side to side range and closing speed is amazing. Just put away the standard playbook of criticisms and realize once and for all we have a LB who is only 24 years old and is on the verge of being a star.

5. It would be a mistake not to start Pouncey for the next 10 years. It would also be a mistake not to use the next game to look at Foster and Urbik at RG in place of Essex. Urbik got in late last night and looked good again.

Just some random thoughts:

-Redman has proven me wrong. He can be serviceable and congrats to him for his hard work. However, I'm terrified if Mendy gets hurt.
-Sorry, still don't see the Legursky love but I'm no OL expert so I may be missing something.
-Throw the ball to Spaeth more. He always seems to be open.

stlrz d
08-30-2010, 08:04 AM
All those folks who are so sour on Dixon...you have been spoiled by the unearthly success of a rookie Big Ben.

Remember how the Titans took a rather cautious/measured approach with Steve McNair?

That turned out rather well for them...I would suggest that most QB's take 2-3 seasons before they start to "get" it.

I am not suggesting that Dixon is McNair...I am just saying...making a call now is just a bit premature.

brothervad

Dixon is not the future of this team. We need someone for 4 games while our franchise QB is out and he showed last night that he's simply not the guy.

Stewie
08-30-2010, 08:08 AM
Three words describe my reaction to the game: DISAPPOINTMENT, DISAPPOINTMENT, DISAPPOINTMENT.

Officiating was unbelieveably bad. For example when Farrion got hurt, the Denver man was on his back. How is that not called??? There were numerous uncalled incidents of illegal contact that were not called, and the play where Harrison almost killed the Denver QB, should have been blown dead right away.

OL. The absolute worst of the worst was Essex; but he was consistent in that he stunk up the place in both run and pass blocking. Can Foster or Legursky really be worse??? Kemo has retrogressed; and our bookend tackles, well, consecutive false starts pretty much says it all. It is frustrating to see the OTs, especially Hotel, getting beat without even throwing a punch. Pouncey shined, but in doing so he illustrated the weaknesses of his linemates.

DBs. Troy took many bad angles. Keenan Lewis, well he needs to leave the pouting and thuggishness at home. A DB cannot have a memory.

RBs. Dwyer showed flashes, but he is sooooooo out of shape. Summers? Bye!

QBs. Dixon pressed, and did not let the game come to him. Leftwich was eh, as was Ben.

OC. That call for the bootleg by Dixon with a yard or two to go almost cost me a flatscreen. What happened to Legursky in the backfield and strap 'em up???

I'm seeing 4 and 12 without some changes and improvements.

stlrz d
08-30-2010, 08:17 AM
Three words describe my reaction to the game: DISAPPOINTMENT, DISAPPOINTMENT, DISAPPOINTMENT.

Officiating was unbelieveably bad. For example when Farrion got hurt, the Denver man was on his back. How is that not called??? There were numerous uncalled incidents of illegal contact that were not called, and the play where Harrison almost killed the Denver QB, should have been blown dead right away.

OL. The absolute worst of the worst was Essex; but he was consistent in that he stunk up the place in both run and pass blocking. Can Foster or Legursky really be worse??? Kemo has retrogressed; and our bookend tackles, well, consecutive false starts pretty much says it all. It is frustrating to see the OTs, especially Hotel, getting beat without even throwing a punch. Pouncey shined, but in doing so he illustrated the weaknesses of his linemates.

DBs. Troy took many bad angles. Keenan Lewis, well he needs to leave the pouting and thuggishness at home. A DB cannot have a memory.

QBs. Dixon pressed, and did not let the game come to him. Leftwich was eh, as was Ben.

OC. That call for the bootleg by Dixon with a yard or two to go almost cost me a flatscreen. What happened to Legursky in the backfield and strap 'em up???

:lol:

Over reaction post of the day...congrats on nailing that down early!

Stewie
08-30-2010, 08:27 AM

:lol:

Over reaction post of the day...congrats on nailing that down early!

I hope so, but we'll see. I see 4-5 losses in the Division (we had 4 last year), and high probability losses to Atlanta, Titans, Patriots, Saints and Jets. Up in the air: Bills, Panthers and Dolphins. I am counting heavily on whipping Tampa Bay to the bone.

Oviedo
08-30-2010, 08:40 AM

Very cool...I guess we will be able to finally get that great OT that everyone wants.

I think you need to put down the half empty glass. It was a preseason game not the end of the world.

SteelBucks
08-30-2010, 08:43 AM

Quite possibly.

I would like to see Dwyer stay and Summers go.

I'd like to see them both go. They need to learn how to block before they get their QB killed......of course the same can be said for Adams and Essex.

On the plus side, Pouncey looked great.

1st and Goal--
08-30-2010, 08:43 AM
Discipline of Steel---Ty--- I got the idea. Sort of like getting oil out of shale. Cost billions to get a couple quarts. Not practical but I was curious.

Actually, I was hoping we got Denver again this year. I was confident we would handle them with ease when it counted like last year.

But it really bugs me that when teams play them you can get them pinned down inside their five yard line ---force them to punt out of the end zone--- next thing you know it's 1st and ten at the opponents 30-35 yard line and the field position is negated. Yeah, I guess it works both ways but it just seems to me that it benefits them more. LOL

Stewie
08-30-2010, 08:50 AM

Very cool...I guess we will be able to finally get that great OT that everyone wants.

I think you need to put down the half empty glass. It was a preseason game not the end of the world.

I didn't say it was the end of the world. What I said was that w/o changes and improvements I see 4 and 12. I don't see an advantage to either the half full or half empty perspective. The advantage is being accurate. True, it was a PS game; but it was one that is traditionally a "dress rehearsal for the season"...and it was touted as such by HC. It was game planned. We got exposed in lot of areas, and other teams in our division have improved. I think 4 and 12 is a reasonable expectation if we continue to see the OL play and defense that we saw last night. But thanks for telling me what I need to do. You need to look at the schedule.

Djfan
08-30-2010, 09:05 AM

I didn't say it was the end of the world. What I said was that w/o changes and improvements I see 4 and 12. I don't see an advantage to either the half full or half empty perspective. The advantage is being accurate. True, it was a PS game; but it was one that is traditionally a "dress rehearsal for the season"...and it was touted as such by HC. It was game planned. We got exposed in lot of areas, and other teams in our division have improved. I think 4 and 12 is a reasonable expectation if we continue to see the OL play and defense that we saw last night. But thanks for telling me what I need to do. You need to look at the schedule.

Fair enough Stewie. Just stand by this predeiction towards the end of the season.

Stewie
08-30-2010, 09:13 AM
And so I shall. However, it's a prediction that I cannot lose. If the OL plays like last night, we'll be 4 and 12 and I win. If they improve, I win. In either case, I will be a Steelers fan.

Djfan
08-30-2010, 09:17 AM
And so I shall. However, it's a prediction that I cannot lose. If the OL plays like last night, we'll be 4 and 12 and I win. If they improve, I win. In either case, I will be a Steelers fan.

Not doubting the fan loyalty. Just can't let the "Chicken Little's" get away with it. It wouldn't be message board protocol.

Before you give up on 12 games, remember who your starting QB is......

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
08-30-2010, 09:51 AM
First, just one comment on returning vet starters in the pre-season. Nobody wants to hear it but this is the way it is. Coaches will tell you this. They can't be judged on preseason play in general. Best way to put it is preseason is a pass-fail course and starting week 1 is letter grading. Gym is the preseason & starting week one is Math. Rookies & back-ups will give you 110% because they are fighting for a spot. Vets will give the "passing grade" play unless the heat is turned on ala Hartwig/Pouncey.

Observations & Conclusions after Pre-season week 3.

Rookie draft class:

Pouncey is the starting C and Hartwig will be released. Pouncey is the best OL the Steelers have through the pre-season. I'm happy he looks the part.

Worilds is a disappointment so far. I hate to make the comparison. I also hate to make reference to the many 2nd round busts. But Worilds reminds me alot of what AJ's label was. Practice likes a player and looks great in one-on-one drills. But the lights go out when the lights come on. I'm hoping it is just a case of "paralysis by analysis" and just a little overwhelmed at game speed. Won't throw in the towel as of yet.

Sanders is doing some nice things. It is good to see the coaches expand his role because that is an indication he is getting it. Looking for some contribution during the season in the 20-30 range if he could move to the #3 ahead of El.

Gibson has shown more than Worilds and looks good on ST. Think he is easily on the 53.

C Scott might have had a shot at winning the RG spot if he was healthy. Essex's weakness in pass pro would have been where Scott should have made the coaches take note. Problem would have been 2 rookies starting on the OL and Essex helping Adams. might have out played Essex on the field but would have to sit for a bit. I expect Scott to go to the PUP and challange for a spot on the 53 if everyone stays healthy when he comes off.

Butler has done some good things. I don't think the Steelers could risk trying to sneak him on the PS. I think they will part ways with Madison because of this and keep Butler on 53.

Sylvester will give them some difficult decisions come the final 53. Will he force them to carry 9 LBs? He will earn his spot by playing STs on gameday. He has shown enough at his position to warrant some coaching up. If I was to guess right now I would say they carry 9.

Before the Broncos game, I would say Dwyer wouldn't even make the PS. I think he now, he makes the PS. I think he needs to duplicate his performance and then some to even get consideration for the 53. My guess is PS unless he fails in the last game. His blocking is terrible.

Brown makes the Steelers think again about going against tradition. I think he has real value at the WR position and has shown enough at returns to take that spot from Logan. He had a bone-head play on the punt but it was a competitive/selfish play I'm sure the coaches told him about. Since I think it will be Butler over Madison, I think the Steelers will carry 6 WRs to keep Battle on STs.

Worthington has been a pleasant surprise and looks to be a keeper project. I think he makes it to the PS and could actually become a starter ala Keisel. I think he will be the first called up if a DL goes down. Probably moves McClendon off the PS.

I will post a different run down of my thoughts for returning players at positions.

ramblinjim
08-30-2010, 09:56 AM
I want to caveat this by saying I'm no O-line expert and I didn't get to see all of the game. But, from what I saw, Pouncey makes some of the other guys on the line look bad. He seemed to get a push, he seemed to get up the field.

I'm with Stewie on Lewis, get it right and leave the thuggery off the field. I'm glad to hear that when he broke the mirror, Tomlin made him pay for it.

It's only one game, so we'll have to wait and see.

AngryAsian
08-30-2010, 10:10 AM
I liked Lewis' physicality (a necessary adjunct in the AFC North) but the "extra's" he tried to integrate was unnecessary and costly. If he can learn to harness that enthusiasm and play with more brain than brawn, then it would be a nice compliment to Ike's game. Troy looked a half step slow last night. I hope he's full force this season.

Oviedo
08-30-2010, 10:12 AM
First, just one comment on returning vet starters in the pre-season. Nobody wants to hear it but this is the way it is. Coaches will tell you this. They can't be judged on preseason play in general. Best way to put it is preseason is a pass-fail course and starting week 1 is letter grading. Gym is the preseason & starting week one is Math. Rookies & back-ups will give you 110% because they are fighting for a spot. Vets will give the "passing grade" play unless the heat is turned on ala Hartwig/Pouncey.

Observations & Conclusions after Pre-season week 3.

Rookie draft class:

Pouncey is the starting C and Hartwig will be released. Pouncey is the best OL the Steelers have through the pre-season. I'm happy he looks the part.

Agree. Wasn't thrilled with the pick but he is the real deal

Worilds is a disappointment so far. I hate to make the comparison. I also hate to make reference to the many 2nd round busts. But Worilds reminds me alot of what AJ's label was. Practice likes a player and looks great in one-on-one drills. But the lights go out when the lights come on. I'm hoping it is just a case of "paralysis by analysis" and just a little overwhelmed at game speed. Won't throw in the towel as of yet.

Not worried. It is still early and all I expect is to see him contribute on special teams

Sanders is doing some nice things. It is good to see the coaches expand his role because that is an indication he is getting it. Looking for some contribution during the season in the 20-30 range if he could move to the #3 ahead of El.

I agree. Real deal

Gibson has shown more than Worilds and looks good on ST. Think he is easily on the 53.

Yep. Looks like Woodley, Part II in the making

C Scott might have had a shot at winning the RG spot if he was healthy. Essex's weakness in pass pro would have been where Scott should have made the coaches take note. Problem would have been 2 rookies starting on the OL and Essex helping Adams. might have out played Essex on the field but would have to sit for a bit. I expect Scott to go to the PUP and challange for a spot on the 53 if everyone stays healthy when he comes off.

Agree

Butler has done some good things. I don't think the Steelers could risk trying to sneak him on the PS. I think they will part ways with Madison because of this and keep Butler on 53.

No way I keep Madison over Butler. Butler shows too much potential as a DB where Madison has none

Sylvester will give them some difficult decisions come the final 53. Will he force them to carry 9 LBs? He will earn his spot by playing STs on gameday. He has shown enough at his position to warrant some coaching up. If I was to guess right now I would say they carry 9.

Practice squad IMO

Before the Broncos game, I would say Dwyer wouldn't even make the PS. I think he now, he makes the PS. I think he needs to duplicate his performance and then some to even get consideration for the 53. My guess is PS unless he fails in the last game. His blocking is terrible.

Big mistake to let Dwyer go. After last night no way he makes it to the practice squad. Some RB thin team will grab him. He is better than Summers. They need to keep him. Too much potential

Brown makes the Steelers think again about going against tradition. I think he has real value at the WR position and has shown enough at returns to take that spot from Logan. He had a bone-head play on the punt but it was a competitive/selfish play I'm sure the coaches told him about. Since I think it will be Butler over Madison, I think the Steelers will carry 6 WRs to keep Battle on STs.

How can anyone think Brown doesn't have this team made. A rookie WR can't do much more than he has. He has so much upside it would be a huge mistake to think he would ever make it to our PS. No way would I ever consider keeping Logan over him.

Worthington has been a pleasant surprise and looks to be a keeper project. I think he makes it to the PS and could actually become a starter ala Keisel. I think he will be the first called up if a DL goes down. Probably moves McClendon off the PS.

Not ready yet and should benefit from PS

I will post a different run down of my thoughts for returning players at positions.

See my comments highlighted

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
08-30-2010, 10:39 AM
Offense

QB
I'm a Dixon fan but he showed what every young QB goes through. His decision making was terrible and the game moved to fast for him. Still a keeper but I think Lefty is clearly the choice in Ben's absence. Batch will be the #3 until Ben returns. If everyone is healthy, I expect Batch to be released with his guranteed salary.

RB
Mendenhall, Redman, & Moore are locks. I think Summers stays. The last is difficult. I'm sure Dwyer will be showcased in the last game. If he is productive, does he get a spot on the 53? Do they try to sneak him on the PS and keep Wright or an outside body? Do they want to keep Johnson & McHugh? I think the RBs & TEs are all tied together here. I'm hoping Dwyer takes this game and grows up. Shows good production in game #4 and earns that spot. Than Summers & Dwyer round out the 5 and Johnson or McHugh would be the #3 TE. Johnson kept his name in the running last night. I don't think this all has been determined with last nights game.

TE
As mentioned above, I think this position is linked to the RBs. Miller & Spaeth are on but who is #3? A true TE in McHugh or will Johnson be the #3. I think this is still TBD.

WR
I think the Steelers will need to carry 6. Ward, Wallace, El, Sanders, Battle, & Brown. I think Brown has shown enough at his postion & at returning to move on without Logan.

OL
Yikes! Hard to get a gauge on the big uglies in the preseason. I did see improvement in Adams. Essex is still the weakest link in pass pro. Being that no competition has come to Essex and Foster has been a disappointment to me, I believe you saw the starting OL last night. Pouncey starts at C and Hartwig will be released. I would have thought Hartwig stays another year but the uncertainty at RT and the improved play of Hills will move both Hartwig & Urbik off the roster. Urbik could be safely brought back to the PS if so desired. I have been a Urbik fan, but Colon's injury and the fact he is PS elligible gives the Steelers their best option and still gives a #3 C if needed. If they want to move on without him, Dorian Brooks will fill that void on the PS. Legursky has shown he could be a solid player at both G, C, & in the "Bronco" package so I believe he remains.

ST
Reed & Sepulveda have the easiest jobs in camp. No comp & playing on 1 years. Don't know what is going on at the LS position but this would be one of the years the Steelers could really use a position player who could LS to save a roster spot.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
08-30-2010, 10:56 AM
DEFENSE

DL
Some competition going on here. I think Worthington deserves a PS spot. I believe Eason & Harris are battling for the last spot. We know what we get with Eason. Being that Hood has clearly moved to the #3 DE I think the spot is open more for Harris. I think it is still TBD and the last game still holds the answer.

LB
As I said before, the Steelers might have to carry 9. If they carry 8, Sylvestor to the PS. Based on the play, Foote & Fox are not going anywhere. I think Gibson & Worlids are locks. Can Sylvestor sneak onto the PS? Let's hope. The Steelers need that spot.

S
Allen is safely on. I believe Mundy still might have the edge but Thorton & Cromartie-Smith are not going quietly. I believe one will make the PS.

CB
I think we will see 6. Perhaps the Steelers will keep 3 Safeties since Lewis & Gay can play FS. I do believe Butler has to remain on the 53 or he won't clear to the PS. Madison's ST skills are nice to have but the Steelers wills have to rely on others to hold onto some young promising position players.

kindlecatsb'ng
08-30-2010, 11:24 AM

brothervad

Amen. Think the same thing. when I heard Hines say this was the first time he worked with Dixon---what???? What do they do in practice? This seemed odd to me but others may have a rational explanation.

Kindle

Jigawatts
08-30-2010, 12:00 PM
Mendenhall played decent for a guy with a broken arm.

steelernation77
08-30-2010, 12:09 PM
Sanders did NOT help himself at all in that game. He is not fighting for the ball in the air and I would say is a long way away from being a "real deal." He needs to get much more physical.

phillyesq
08-30-2010, 12:16 PM

brothervad

Amen. Think the same thing. when I heard Hines say this was the first time he worked with Dixon---what???? What do they do in practice? This seemed odd to me but others may have a rational explanation.

Kindle

That comment stuck out to me as well. I thought that Dixon was getting reps with the first team at some point.

papillon
08-30-2010, 12:31 PM
These would be mistakes:

1. It would be a huge mistake to cut Brown and keep Logan. Brown will be fine with returns and he looks like a potentially great receiver. So quick!!! If Brown hasn't made this roster then I don't know what a player has to do.

2. It would be a mistake to cut Dwyer and keep Summers. Dwyer showed what he could do if he develops and gets a chance. After last night no way a team desperate for RB depth doesn't grab him.

Double 3. It would be a mistake to start Dixon. He looked very ordinary. I'm all for having him with specific packages but we saw the type of mistakes that we can't afford while Ben is out. Experience and Lefty get the starting job.

4. It would be a huge mistake for anyone to continue to criticize Timmons. He was the best LB on the field last night by a country mile. When he comes on an inside blitz he is unstoppable. His side to side range and closing speed is amazing. Just put away the standard playbook of criticisms and realize once and for all we have a LB who is only 24 years old and is on the verge of being a star.

5. It would be a mistake not to start Pouncey for the next 10 years. It would also be a mistake not to use the next game to look at Foster and Urbik at RG in place of Essex. Urbik got in late last night and looked good again.

Just some random thoughts:

-Redman has proven me wrong. He can be serviceable and congrats to him for his hard work. However, I'm terrified if Mendy gets hurt.
-Sorry, still don't see the Legursky love but I'm no OL expert so I may be missing something.
-Throw the ball to Spaeth more. He always seems to be open.

Along with Urbik and Foster I think that Tony Hills has earned some snaps with the first team. He's played well in every game thus far, but never really against the number ones. Ovi, I'm with you on everything said in your post.

They should give Dwyer a few series early as well to see how he does against the big boys. He did exactly what you hope for against the third team and that is run over and around them. Lets see what he's got.

Pappy

dsmith
08-30-2010, 01:35 PM

brothervad

Kindle

On the other hand, everyone was treating Dixon as the next Big Ben when he was playing against 3rd stringers. I thought he deserved the chance to play against the 1's and I am glad he got it. That being said, he showed that he has a lot to learn and things aren't quite so easy in the NFL. As much as it pains me to say it, I think Leftwich is the best option we have right now to stay in this season until Ben gets back.

Overall, I was pretty disgusted with the entire team last night. I know it is preseason, but special teams and defense were especially frustrating to watch. I have been mildly optimistic up to this point, but last night has me a bit worried.

Dwyer - A lot of people are backing him now, but I was not too impressed. His yards came against the 3rd teamers. He was hesitant at the hole and didn't run with as much power as he looks capable of - barring the one run.

Pouncey - There is no way that he is not the starting center. Easily the bright spot on the OL right now. I think Adams and Starks were serviceable at tackle. Our guards are awful right now, esp. Essex.

Do the Steelers just give lip service to special teams? How many years have we heard about their commitment to special teams to end up having the same old crap again and again. The Steelers have the worst special teams year in and year out. It is getting old.

SteelAbility
08-30-2010, 03:59 PM
I've been critical of Timmons (but really of the wisdom of the pick at the draft position) but dude looked really good last night. I'm hoping he proves me wrong.

Oviedo
08-30-2010, 04:06 PM
I've been critical of Timmons (but really of the wisdom of the pick at the draft position) but dude looked really good last night. I'm hoping he proves me wrong.

Timmons was 20 years old when drafted. He is now an experienced NFL starter at 24. Embrace the fact that he is going to be a star. Don't be surprised if he has more sacks than Harrison this season.

Eddie Spaghetti
08-30-2010, 04:30 PM
nice to see the lights coming on for timmons in year 4. just in time for a new deal.

another 20 year old rookie drafted around the same slot looked equally impressive last night.

ikestops85
08-30-2010, 04:33 PM
Mike Wallace is practically uncoverable.

Timmons was a beast against the run. He is getting better and better at that position.

What happened to Larry Foote?

Pouncey could be our best offensive lineman.

I've finally gotten a Dwyer sighting. He showed power and even some speed in the game.

Colquit's punts looked like I always imagined Sep's punts would look like. Why the hell can't we kick in that thin air?

Do our special teams guys ride the short bus to the games? We might even be worse than last year if that is possible.

Brown has looked better than Sanders in the pre-season games. If the draft positions were reversed would people still be clamouring to keep Sanders?

Gay looked like the guy from 2 years ago and not like the guy from last year. He made a nice play coming off his man to make the interception.

I like how some of the new DBs attack the short routes and try to jump them. I just wonder how long it will be before we teach them to stop doing that and let the guy catch the ball and then make the tackle? :HeadBanger :HeadBanger

Can anyone deny that Ben is the difference between this team being good and this team being average?