PDA

View Full Version : lets hear from the dixon lovers now

AkronSteel
08-29-2010, 09:33 PM
After Dixon's performance tonight, I for one am not ready to throw him out there on a full time basis for the first 4 weeks. He made some really bad mistakes tonight. Mistakes that will kill ya in the regular season!!! I'm okay with Leftwich.....I was just hoping that Double D would be able to give us that exra dimension. Oh well.....he's just not ready for primetime!! Although I'm sure his nerves were a little high tonight considering this was his one opportunity to show what he's got!

hawaiiansteel
08-29-2010, 09:34 PM
Dennis Dixon's 1st half stats:

6/13 58 yds 0 TDs 2 INTs 19.6 QB rating

stlrz d
08-29-2010, 09:35 PM
Now you can see why Lefty was brought back.

Dixon had his shot and he blew it.

Djfan
08-29-2010, 09:37 PM
He's looking bad against a first string defense IMO.

feltdizz
08-29-2010, 09:40 PM

but at least he got a chance to blow it. Denver has a great pass defense. I wish he played better but in all honesty our whole freaking team sucks tonight. The penalties are disgusting. What exactly are we trying to prove with all these flags.

Pouncey looks good though and so does Redman.

Those were 2 very bad passes. The first one should have been an obvious throw out the endzone and the second was a college throw. Way too far across the field. I hope he doesn't lose his confidence. At least he hussled down field to try and catch the guy.

Kid
08-29-2010, 09:40 PM
the guy blows against decent competition. poor passes, bad, bad picks and not enough common sense to run when the situation called for it. at least this qb controvsery should be over. the guy has zero value to us, while ben is gone, if he refuses to use his legs.

papillon
08-29-2010, 09:43 PM

but at least he got a chance to blow it. Denver has a great pass defense. I wish he played better but in all honesty our whole freaking team sucks tonight. The penalties are disgusting. What exactly are we trying to prove with all these flags.

Those were 2 very bad passes. The first one should have been an obvious throw out the endzone and the second was a college throw. Way too far across the field. I hope he doesn't lose his confidence. At least he hussled down field to try and catch the guy.

Timmons looked good for the defense.

Pappy

Discipline of Steel
08-29-2010, 09:45 PM
hilarious if he plays in the third quarter and does better

stlrz d
08-29-2010, 09:47 PM
Some dude on twitter is criticizing arians for not rolling dixon out on every play. LOL!

hawaiiansteel
08-29-2010, 09:49 PM
Some dude on twitter is criticizing arians for not rolling dixon out on every play. LOL!

that dude on twitter is undoubtedly more qualified than Arians to call plays in the NFL... :roll:

feltdizz
08-29-2010, 09:53 PM
Look at our whole team tonight before you throw Dixon under the bus by himself. Some of ou sound happy that Dixon had a rough 1st half. He is a Steeler.

Kyle Orten had 3 INT's his first preseason game as a Bronco too...

Dixon for 30 on the scramble.

Shawn
08-29-2010, 09:57 PM
I'm not ready to throw Dixon to the wolves. He is getting tore up by a very good D. With that said, I still think he is going to be a very good QB in the NFL. But, its obvious he won't win the starters job anytime soon.

Kid
08-29-2010, 10:01 PM
Look at our whole team tonight before you throw Dixon under the bus by himself. Some of ou sound happy that Dixon had a rough 1st half. He is a Steeler.

where was that the first half?

MCHammer
08-29-2010, 10:02 PM
He's currently putting together a fairly decent drive and I'm impressed that he's able to come back from the first half and perform. That said, Dixon is not the QB of our future. Ben still is. So I don't see the point in experimenting with a athletic qb that has a ton to learn for a crucial 4 game stretch. I'd feel differently if Ben was out of the year on an injury.

Leftwich will make less mistakes and give us a better shot of getting to Week 6 with a still viable shot at the playoffs.

feltdizz
08-29-2010, 10:02 PM
I'm not ready to throw Dixon to the wolves. He is getting tore up by a very good D. With that said, I still think he is going to be a very good QB in the NFL. But, its obvious he won't win the starters job anytime soon.

our whole team looked ehhh tonight. Dixon is struggling but it's his second game against starters. I hope he bounces back. He had a few good passes on the first drive of the second half.

steelfin
08-29-2010, 10:04 PM
Good mobility but no presence in the pocket...career backup...could be great in the wildcat / slash role...

feltdizz
08-29-2010, 10:05 PM

where was that the first half?

it wasn't there in thefirst half. Stop acting like it's the SB. The guy finall gets a chance against the first team this preseason and you sound like you want him cut.

SteelStallion
08-29-2010, 10:12 PM
I called for Dixon to get more of a chance. Does that make me a Dixon Lover? He forced throws to unopened receivers, couldn't see the field, couldn't use his checkdowns, ect., and struggled terribly against first team competition. Lewis struggled also. Part of the process. I still think it would have cost them nothing to have a real training camp competition, give the kid more first team reps, and who knows where you'd be now. He's had little first team experience while the other three qbs have extensive starter experience. But I understand he looked bad in minicamp, and they had the Ben situation, ect., ect., I don't see this as a win for any of the fans regardless of how you felt. Leftwich played horribly last year, he has no upside, and there's no guarantee that he can get it done either over 4 games.

BURGH86STEEL
08-29-2010, 10:22 PM
I trust the coaches will make the best decision on who to start at QB until Ben returns.

steelernation77
08-29-2010, 10:26 PM
Sanders did not help Dixon out on that second pick. He needs to attack the ball in the air.

feltdizz
08-29-2010, 10:38 PM
Sanders did not help Dixon out on that second pick. He needs to attack the ball in the air.

I agree. Dude didn't fight for it as hard as he could have. It's not like Lefty has blown us away with his play outside of the bomb to Wallace.

TheSikOne
08-29-2010, 11:56 PM
Right guys, because half of a pre-season game determines how good a player is. Also, Lefty looked sooooooooooooo great against the backups.
[/sarcasm]

The guy clearly made some bad decisions, yes. But, it is just one half of a pre-season game against a good defense. You can't just fault him for that and throw him under the bus that quick. Especially when the other potential QB's to start wk 1-4 didn't look too great either.

fordfixer
08-29-2010, 11:57 PM
The way Dixon and Lefty looked tonight I say start Batch :tt1 :tt1

Shawn
08-30-2010, 12:09 AM

our whole team looked ehhh tonight. Dixon is struggling but it's his second game against starters. I hope he bounces back. He had a few good passes on the first drive of the second half.

Honestly, I think part of it was him trying too hard to pocket QB it. He didn't look like the Dixon I know. Maybe he was trying to prove something to the coaches and fell flat on his face.

Crash
08-30-2010, 12:38 AM
Against a good defense? Champ Bailey didn't play and Elvis is out for the year.

bostonsteeler
08-30-2010, 01:14 AM
Actually Dixon has played more than this preseason.
He was actually quite good against Baltimore last year.

I think its mostly nerves. Some people done come out and become steely all at once. They have to get their head into the game and it happens with reps.

Dixon will be good IMO. He's not HOF material, but he'll be OK.

hellbanger
08-30-2010, 01:59 AM
Actually Dixon has played more than this preseason.
He was actually quite good against Baltimore last year.

I think its mostly nerves. Some people done come out and become steely all at once. They have to get their head into the game and it happens with reps.

Dixon will be good IMO. He's not HOF material, but he'll be OK.

HE threw a pick and we lost. To me a QB played good when he didnt lose the game for the team. Need wins to survive the regular season.

Djfan
08-30-2010, 02:24 AM
The way Dixon and Lefty looked tonight I say start Batch :tt1 :tt1

Honestly, that is what we were all saying in the stands. Batch looked like an experienced guy to me. Give him some first team reps in game four.

hawaiiansteel
08-30-2010, 03:27 AM
Dennis Dixon takes a big step backward

Posted by Mike Florio on August 29, 2010

After the Steelers' first preseason game against the Lions, we argued that quarterback Dennis Dixon deserves some reps with the first team, given the fact that he played really well against the Lions' reserves -- and that presumed interim starter Byron Leftwich didn't.

The disparity in the performance of the two quarterbacks made the predetermined decision to go with Leftwich seem odd. Dixon had played well when pressed into service last year due to a concussion to Ben Roethlisberger, and Dixon had done nothing to justify not giving him a shot to compete with Leftwich in the 2010 offseason or training camp, because Dixon simply didn't receive an opportunity to compete with Leftwich.

Since nothing in the NFL happens by accident, we tried to identify the reason for the decision to not give Dixon a fair shot. The possible explanations fall into the realm where reasonable minds can differ; we (at least, I) became intrigued by the possibility that the Steelers, who in an apparent effort to keep signing bonuses low don't require late-round draft picks to sign four-year deals, didn't want the third-year quarterback to become a hot commodity as he approached restricted free agency in 2011. If the Steelers intend to follow through on reports that one more false move from Big Ben will get him booted out of the 'Burgh, it makes sense for the Steelers to find a way to keep Dixon around at a reasonable price until Roethlisberger can prove over a full offseason that this specific leopard has truly changed his black-and-gold spots.

Again, all we wanted was for Dixon to get a fair shot. And the coaches in Pittsburgh apparently saw enough through two preseason games to conclude that he deserved one. And so he got one.

And on Sunday night in Denver he apparently blew it.

Dixon completed nine of 16 passes for 94 yards, but he threw two costly interceptions, including a ball that was returned 77 yards by Broncos cornerback Andre Goodman for a touchdown. Though he also gained 33 yards on three carries, Dixon appeared to be out of his element and comfort zone while facing the Denver starting defense.

Does it mean that Dixon didn't deserve a shot with the starters? No. The Steelers needed to see what Dixon could do -- especially since Leftwich hasn't exactly looked a whole lot better the third quarter of Sunday night's game, throwing three passes and completing none.

Though Dixon still has special skills, his inability to step up when he got his chance to take the starting job for the first four games means that he probably won't be the starter come Week One, and that the Steelers won't have to worry as much about someone making Dixon an offer next offseason that the Steelers won't be willing or able to match.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -backward/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/29/dennis-dixon-take-a-big-step-backward/)

Oviedo
08-30-2010, 08:08 AM

Timmons looked good for the defense.

Pappy

Timmons was the best defensive player on the field but I'm sure we'll hear the same old tired "he hasn't lived up to his draft status because Jon Beason made the Pro Bowl." That is total BS. Timmons is just 24 and on the verge of being a star. I could see him having more sacks this season than Harrison.

Oviedo
08-30-2010, 08:10 AM
I called for Dixon to get more of a chance. Does that make me a Dixon Lover? He forced throws to unopened receivers, couldn't see the field, couldn't use his checkdowns, ect., and struggled terribly against first team competition. Lewis struggled also. Part of the process. I still think it would have cost them nothing to have a real training camp competition, give the kid more first team reps, and who knows where you'd be now. He's had little first team experience while the other three qbs have extensive starter experience. But I understand he looked bad in minicamp, and they had the Ben situation, ect., ect., I don't see this as a win for any of the fans regardless of how you felt. Leftwich played horribly last year, he has no upside, and there's no guarantee that he can get it done either over 4 games.

:Agree But that was probably what the coaches have seen for the past 6 months. Good on Tomlin to let everyone else see it so we can move beyond the notion that Dixon is ready to be a fulltime starter.

MCHammer
08-30-2010, 08:42 AM
Honestly, that is what we were all saying in the stands. Batch looked like an experienced guy to me. Give him some first team reps in game four.

At this point, it's time for Tomlin and company to put an end to the qb drama and just annoint Leftwich the starter. We can't afford to waste anymore time splitting reps with the first team between 2 guys, let alone throwing Batch into the mix. The regular season is fast approaching.

For the record, I like Batch - but his days are almost certainly numbered as a Steeler. They didn't bring in Leftwich to let Batch (or Dixon) start. IMO, the quarterback stuff this preseason has been a huge and largely unnecessary distraction and that includes the decision to play Ben as much as we have.

I don't see how we can keep Batch without cutting Dixon or Leftwich anyway.

Djfan
08-30-2010, 09:08 AM

At this point, it's time for Tomlin and company to put an end to the qb drama and just annoint Leftwich the starter. We can't afford to waste anymore time splitting reps with the first team between 2 guys, let alone throwing Batch into the mix. The regular season is fast approaching.

For the record, I like Batch - but his days are almost certainly numbered as a Steeler. They didn't bring in Leftwich to let Batch (or Dixon) start. IMO, the quarterback stuff this preseason has been a huge and largely unnecessary distraction and that includes the decision to play Ben as much as we have.

I don't see how we can keep Batch without cutting Dixon or Leftwich anyway.

Hammer,

I don't see this as an "after Ben retuns" thread. For the time of his absence, I think it should be Lefty, Batch Dixon. In that order. For the record, I thought I heard that Tomlin did say that Lefty was the starter. The calls for Dixon seem to be in the media and fan base, not the FO.

Ghost
08-30-2010, 09:19 AM
If Dixon lofts the ball out of the endone about 15 ft high instead forcing it low to the back of the endzone and Sanders actually does more than stand there, at least trying to go for the ball, I think we're having a much different discussion today. You could work on that over the next 2 weeks.

Lefty was 0-4. Outside of one pass to Wallace this preseason, he would have to improve just to get to mediocre.

And what is the intent of this thread? Are we to be excited Dixon didn't play well? It wasn't against starters but coming in he had a perfect passer rating. He earned some playing time with the first team.

Unless the D figures a way to stop the short dump off pass (that gets 6 or 7 yards everytime) it could easily be 1-3 going into the bye.

MCHammer
08-30-2010, 09:47 AM
Hammer,

I don't see this as an "after Ben retuns" thread. For the time of his absence, I think it should be Lefty, Batch Dixon. In that order. For the record, I thought I heard that Tomlin did say that Lefty was the starter. The calls for Dixon seem to be in the media and fan base, not the FO.

Ok, but I guess my concern at this point is that Leftwich is not quite ready either and we'er running out of time to get him and offense in order. So if we know who the starter is, we should let that person get as much first team reps as possible before the games start counting.

That's one of the reasons why I think letting Ben play made little sense. He's going to be rusty no matter what when he comes back from the suspension. I really don't see the value in starting him in the presason vs. taking that time away from Leftwich (or even Dixon).

AngryAsian
08-30-2010, 09:48 AM
Everyone is so worried about our QB scenario that they're not taking a good look at how vanilla our defense looks... starting front seven for an entire half and 3rd/4th string running back scrubs had their way on the ground. Sure Lenwhale has some starting experience, but the Denver OL is a patchwork of individuals not used to playing with each other and they did a good job of muscling our D enough to get the tough yards on the ground as well as pass protect.

As for Dixon... the faster the opposing D's pass rush is, the faster our loss column will tally up hash marks, because Leftwich can't elude anybody. The skill positions will do their jobs... I think our OL and our front 7's ability to apply pressure on opposing QB's will be the crux of our first four games. JMHO.

Oviedo
08-30-2010, 09:54 AM
Everyone is so worried about our QB scenario that they're not taking a good look at how vanilla our defense looks... starting front seven for an entire half and 3rd/4th string running back scrubs had their way on the ground. Sure Lenwhale has some starting experience, but the Denver OL is a patchwork of individuals not used to playing with each other and they did a good job of muscling our D enough to get the tough yards on the ground as well as pass protect.

As for Dixon... the faster the opposing D's pass rush is, the faster our loss column will tally up hash marks, because Leftwich can't elude anybody. The skill positions will do their jobs... I think our OL and our front 7's ability to apply pressure on opposing QB's will be the crux of our first four games. JMHO.

AA--You are right about the defense. I've been saying it for over a year but everyone just tries to characterize it as me LeBeau bashing versus taking a critical look at the defense. It is obvious schematically that something is wrong. Teams realize that if they get rid of the ball quickly our pass rush is neutralized so they can dink and dunk us all the way down the field because our CBs give up 10 yard completions.

AngryAsian
08-30-2010, 10:01 AM

AA--You are right about the defense. I've been saying it for over a year but everyone just tries to characterize it as me LeBeau bashing versus taking a critical look at the defense. It is obvious schematically that something is wrong. Teams realize that if they get rid of the ball quickly our pass rush is neutralized so they can dink and dunk us all the way down the field because our CBs give up 10 yard completions.

Agreed, bro... its like the OC's have figured out LeBeau's magic and now have the ability to find the holes from both venues of air and ground. Our CB's need work sure, but our pass rush seems not existent and the wall that's suppose to negate running games seems soft. I hope this is remedied or our season will be quite long.

RuthlessBurgher
08-30-2010, 10:30 AM
Hammer,

Ok, but I guess my concern at this point is that Leftwich is not quite ready either and we'er running out of time to get him and offense in order. So if we know who the starter is, we should let that person get as much first team reps as possible before the games start counting.

That's one of the reasons why I think letting Ben play made little sense. He's going to be rusty no matter what when he comes back from the suspension. I really don't see the value in starting him in the presason vs. taking that time away from Leftwich (or even Dixon).

The starters will play only a series or maybe two in the final preseason game this Thursday.

Oviedo
08-30-2010, 10:33 AM

Agreed, bro... its like the OC's have figured out LeBeau's magic and now have the ability to find the holes from both venues of air and ground. Our CB's need work sure, but our pass rush seems not existent and the wall that's suppose to negate running games seems soft. I hope this is remedied or our season will be quite long.

But isn't the real problem the offense's time of possession and therefore any defensive lapses really Arians' fault???? :stirpot

Slapstick
08-30-2010, 10:40 AM
Leftwich still did little to impress me...

Dixon made a bad decision on the end zone INT, no doubt...

On the pick 6, Sanders ran a lazy route and gave away when he was breaking it off...on top of that, he didn't actually go for the ball...that was a timing route...

While I don't think that Dixon helped himself, I am still in serious doubt about Leftwich's ability to actually help the team...

ikestops85
08-30-2010, 11:29 AM

On the pick 6, Sanders ran a lazy route and gave away when he was breaking it off...on top of that, he didn't actually go for the ball...that was a timing route...

While I don't think that Dixon helped himself, I am still in serious doubt about Leftwich's ability to actually help the team...

I have to disagree with you on the pick 6. The ball was very late and Sanders did go after it. In fact he knocked it loose but it went up in the air and the defender caught it. Dixon was actually lucky because one or two possessions earlier he threw the same route and the corner dropped the ball. Part of that is Sanders didn't get the corner back on his heels.

I'm glad Dixon got the time he did to play with the first string. His performance to date in the preseason games was excellent against the lower competition so he earned the right to move up. Isn't that what TC is for?

Now he needs to step back, regroup and make another run at it. I think the guy has talent but isn't the quickest learner. I don't know if you folks remember but in the good old days they used to sit the QB on the bench for 5 years. It was very rare for a rookie to come in and start. Not many Marino's and Roethlisberger's around that are productive that first year.

proudpittsburgher
08-30-2010, 12:07 PM

I agree, and I think Batch played well enough last night to be considered in the equation of the first four games. At this point, Dixon isn't going anywhere, and I am not sure they are keeping all three backups, so it is a question of Lefty or batch. True enough, Batch played against the third teamers, but he made good decisions with the ball and threw a good ball to recievers. Say all you want about Batch being fragile, but he is more movile than Lefty and he took quite a few good hits last night and got right back up. lus, if we cut Lefty, is he really going to get picked up by another team?

phillyesq
08-30-2010, 12:13 PM
Timmons was the best defensive player on the field but I'm sure we'll hear the same old tired "he hasn't lived up to his draft status because Jon Beason made the Pro Bowl." That is total BS. Timmons is just 24 and on the verge of being a star. I could see him having more sacks this season than Harrison.

Actually, I'm the one who has made that argument, and if you read my post, I said that Timmons played well last night. I hope that it continues.

Perhaps you're a little anxious on preemptively calling people out? :moon

flippy
08-30-2010, 12:13 PM
I thought Dixon was ok. He just needs a little more work with Ward and Hines can be his security blanket and it'll be fine.

RuthlessBurgher
08-30-2010, 12:16 PM

I agree, and I think Batch played well enough last night to be considered in the equation of the first four games. At this point, Dixon isn't going anywhere, and I am not sure they are keeping all three backups, so it is a question of Lefty or batch. True enough, Batch played against the third teamers, but he made good decisions with the ball and threw a good ball to recievers. Say all you want about Batch being fragile, but he is more movile than Lefty and he took quite a few good hits last night and got right back up. lus, if we cut Lefty, is he really going to get picked up by another team?

Leftwich would get picked up by another team if we cut him. I don't think that Batch would.

isonator07
08-30-2010, 12:19 PM

I agree about the D. I think the biggest problem is the cushion we give WR at the line. I'm not gonna pretend to know more than an NFL coach but it seems like a blitzing D would benefit more from jamming the WR. Quick pressure plus tight coverage would make a hot read more difficult IMO.

As for the OP...WTF is wrong with you on this post? What really burns my azz is when Dixon plays well for a couple games people make excuses for why we shouldn't get to excited. Then As soon as he plays poor we want to gloat about it. Isn't it still just one game and lets not over react? Nobody wins here man. I'd rather win then be right.

Dee Dub
08-30-2010, 12:19 PM
After Dixon's performance tonight, I for one am not ready to throw him out there on a full time basis for the first 4 weeks. He made some really bad mistakes tonight. Mistakes that will kill ya in the regular season!!! I'm okay with Leftwich.....I was just hoping that Double D would be able to give us that exra dimension. Oh well.....he's just not ready for primetime!! Although I'm sure his nerves were a little high tonight considering this was his one opportunity to show what he's got!

So what is it that you have seen in Byron Leftwich that has you comfortable with him starting? Basically by what you say about Dixon is what you are upholding in Leftwich. Byron Leftwich has done nothing to prove he is the answer at QB. Nothing. But because Dixon failed in his first attempt with the first team you are ok with anointing Leftwich the starter? Ok that makes sense. :roll:

Isnt Akron where LeBron James is from?? OK..now I get it. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dee Dub
08-30-2010, 12:25 PM
Now you can see why Lefty was brought back.....

Uhhhhhhhhhhhh....no....I am not seeing it. Where is that at? Is that in this??

B. Leftwich 0/4 0 0.0 0 0 39.6

papillon
08-30-2010, 12:41 PM

So what is it that you have seen in Byron Leftwich that has you comfortable with him starting? Basically by what you say about Dixon is what you are upholding in Leftwich. Byron Leftwich has done nothing to prove he is the answer at QB. Nothing. But because Dixon failed in his first attempt with the first team you are ok with anointing Leftwich the starter? Ok that makes sense. :roll:

Isnt Akron where LeBron James is from?? OK..now I get it. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

How would you grade Dixon on last night's performance? Leftwich was no better, but he does bring more experience to the table and that could be enough to get the Steelers through the first 4 games. Actually, Batch played the best, but it was against players that won't be on an NFL roster after Tuesday.

Pappy

Slapstick
08-30-2010, 12:55 PM
I think Lolley has it right...both QBs should get playing time...forcing teams to prepare for both will be a pain for opponents...especially early in the season...

Of course, there is no way to prepare for #7...

MCHammer
08-30-2010, 01:24 PM
So what is it that you have seen in Byron Leftwich that has you comfortable with him starting? Basically by what you say about Dixon is what you are upholding in Leftwich. Byron Leftwich has done nothing to prove he is the answer at QB. Nothing. But because Dixon failed in his first attempt with the first team you are ok with anointing Leftwich the starter? Ok that makes sense.

Leftwich didn't throw a pick 6.

We can't afford to lose games while Dixon learns the ropes. That's what it boils down to for me anyway. Now there are no guarantees that Leftwich won't lose as many or more games than Dixon would, but all things considered he is less likely to make major mental mistakes due to his experience.

I'm all for using Dixon situationally and hopefully he'll be able to contribute even if Leftwich is the starter. But at the end of the day, Leftwich's lack of mobility is probably a lesser handicap than Dixon's lack of experience reading defenses and making throwing decisions.

Dee Dub
08-30-2010, 02:01 PM
How would you grade Dixon on last night's performance? Leftwich was no better, but he does bring more experience to the table and that could be enough to get the Steelers through the first 4 games. Actually, Batch played the best, but it was against players that won't be on an NFL roster after Tuesday.

Pappy

Well Dixon's performance last night wasnt great. But I still think that he will give the Steelers more of a chance to win than Leftwich. All QB's make mistakes....but not all QB's have the ability to make plays. Dixon does...and I do not believe that at this stage in Leftwich's career...he can make plays.

phillyesq
08-30-2010, 02:06 PM

Pappy

Well Dixon's performance last night wasnt great. But I still think that he will give the Steelers more of a chance to win than Leftwich. All QB's make mistakes....but not all QB's have the ability to make plays. Dixon does...and I do not believe that at this stage in Leftwich's career...he can make plays.

Yes, all QBs make mistakes, but they don't all make the same amount of mistakes. Last night, Dixon made very costly mistakes.

Leftwich may not win games for the Steelers, but I don't think he'll lose them. Dixon has the potential to lose games.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
08-30-2010, 02:08 PM
So what is it that you have seen in Byron Leftwich that has you comfortable with him starting? Basically by what you say about Dixon is what you are upholding in Leftwich. Byron Leftwich has done nothing to prove he is the answer at QB. Nothing. But because Dixon failed in his first attempt with the first team you are ok with anointing Leftwich the starter? Ok that makes sense.

Leftwich didn't throw a pick 6.

We can't afford to lose games while Dixon learns the ropes. That's what it boils down to for me anyway. Now there are no guarantees that Leftwich won't lose as many or more games than Dixon would, but all things considered he is less likely to make major mental mistakes due to his experience.

I'm all for using Dixon situationally and hopefully he'll be able to contribute even if Leftwich is the starter. But at the end of the day, Leftwich's lack of mobility is probably a lesser handicap than Dixon's lack of experience reading defenses and making throwing decisions.

:Agree , in my mind this is what it boils down to.

...All QB's make mistakes....but not all QB's have the ability to make plays. Dixon does...

Agreed, but IMO Dixon is more likely to "give away" plays (read pic) than Lefty. This is just based on his apparently poor decision making from yesterday. He has more upside than Lefty, almost certainly, but I don't want him to develop that during the 1st 4 (5?) games if we don't have to. Having him come in situationally during these first games sounds good, but after last night I'm not as comfortable with him starting as I am Lefty.

And this is coming from someone who has stated on the record multiple times before that he is really uncomfortable with Lefty starting. :cry:

Dee Dub
08-30-2010, 02:10 PM

The Steelers won games while Ben was learning the ropes. Why cant they do that when Dixon is? Letís make no mistake here..for Dixon the Steelers need to curtail the offense in a way that is manageable. Just like they did for Ben. This team needs to find other ways to win these first 4 games. Thinking that it is going to come from the QB is wrong.

cruzer8
08-30-2010, 02:32 PM

The Steelers won games while Ben was learning the ropes. Why cant they do that when Dixon is? Letís make no mistake here..for Dixon the Steelers need to curtail the offense in a way that is manageable. Just like they did for Ben. This team needs to find other ways to win these first 4 games. Thinking that it is going to come from the QB is wrong.

Ben was a rookie. Dixon has been in this offense for a few years now. He's been in the meetings, the practices, the OTAs, the film sessions and so on.

That's the difference.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
08-30-2010, 02:38 PM
^^ I may be wrong, but I think the real difference is ability, not so much duration on the team, etc.

proudpittsburgher
08-30-2010, 03:01 PM

Totally different scenario. Ben was being groomed to take over the offense. Dixon isn't. You ar willing to lose a few games to benefit the longterm committment of your franchise QB. In this scenario, we are lookign for the best guy to start against the Falcons, Titans, bucs and Ravens. Period

MCHammer
08-30-2010, 03:03 PM
Dee, I hear what you're saying but Ben was drafted to be the qb of the future for this franchise and was unexpectedly thrust into a starting role early. The Steelers didn't really have much of a choice and Ben had an unheard of winning streak as a rookie. Dixon, on the other hand, was drafted to be a project/back up qb and he hasn't exactly developed as quickly as was hoped.

2 superbowls later, our focus as a team right now is getting through the first 4 games until Ben can come back. Developing Dixon should not really enter into that equation IMO. I could be wrong and may be proven so, but the Steeler's best bet is to rely on an aggressive defense and mistake free offense to get us to game 5 with a .500 or better record.

Slapstick
08-30-2010, 03:43 PM
If you want the QB who will give you the best chance to win games, you start Dixon...

If you want the QB who will give you the best chance to not lose games, you start Leftwich...

Yes, Dixon made a mistake in the end zone (I don't care what you say about the pick 6...that was all on Sanders) but the offense moved the ball...

Leftwich didn't throw a pick, but neither did he complete a pass...

So, if the Steelers want to put in a QB who won't lose it, they'll go with Leftwich and rely on the D...

SteelAbility
08-30-2010, 03:53 PM
If you want the QB who will give you the best chance to win games, you start Dixon...

If you want the QB who will give you the best chance to not lose games, you start Leftwich...

Yes, Dixon made a mistake in the end zone (I don't care what you say about the pick 6...that was all on Sanders) but the offense moved the ball...

So, if the Steelers want to put in a QB who won't lose it, they'll go with Leftwich and rely on the D...

That and that are the same thing, barring ties, which happen less than 1% of the time. So the two are about 99% equivalent.

RuthlessBurgher
08-30-2010, 04:33 PM

That and that are the same thing, barring ties, which happen less than 1% of the time. So the two are about 99% equivalent.

Not exactly.

If you feel confidence in your defense, running game, and special teams, you pick the QB who will give you the best chance to not lose games (less risky caretaker...the safe pick...the imfamous "game manager").

If you do not feel confidence in your defense, running game, and special teams, you pick the QB who will give you the best chance to win games (more risky playmaker...high risk but also potentially high reward).

The question is...do you feel confidence in your defense, running game, and special teams?

Steelerphile
08-30-2010, 05:29 PM
It was rather nightmarish for Dixon, but I think the Steelers have had some of their worst performances in the thin air. The team overall did not look that good. He played himself out of contention to start but I am still not thrilled about Leftwich.

It was a good experience for him though. The one thing I wish Dixon could do is put on 20 good lbs. I think it would help him a lot. I know we'll never see him testifying in front of a Congressional panel about steroid use.

I think he would look much better in front of a home crowd at Heinz field.

sd steel
08-30-2010, 06:38 PM
The Steelers, with the game plan they put in for Dixon, showed all the fans, media and the rest of the NFL what they wanted you to see from Dixon, which is nothing.

If they want to make Dixon successful they have a strong running game, and a short passing game that can move the sticks, and we can score. They set Dixon up to fail last night so all the people screaming that Dixon is the answer, will now shut up.

fezziwig
08-30-2010, 08:11 PM
Dixon is not the answer to our four game problem. Lefty not much better but, still better than Dixon only if due to experience. I can't beleive Tomlin even had Leftwich behind Dixon and shows a lack of ability to stick to the developemnet of the number one QB. Nothing crushes a team more is to have the quarterback issue up in the air.

Kid
08-30-2010, 09:38 PM
Dixon failed to utilize his best assest last night. He is no use to the team for the first 4 games if he continues to be selfish and not tuck the ball and run.

grotonsteel
08-30-2010, 11:22 PM

Dixon gives Steelers best chance to win??? He could not do that against Ratbirds last season and why all of sudden he gives Steelers best chance to win? What has transpired between that Ratbird game and now? Its not like Dixon was playing exceptionally well in TC. He struggled in red zone offense in TC. Dixon also struggled against Donkeys vanilla defense and minus Elvis. Infact Dixon might be on the chopping block if Steelers think Batch is a better option.

Best play Dixon has...tug the ball and run. BA should utilize it and play Dixon in slash/wild cat during reg season. He could be in pain in the back for opposing D.

Steelers are not looking to develop a QB in those 4 games. Steelers want a QB who can be a good game manager and let Mendy/Moore/Redman take over.

Dixon might end up as a great QB in Joe Montana mold but right now he is not even at Bruce Gradkowski level.

Oviedo
08-31-2010, 08:28 AM

Dixon gives Steelers best chance to win??? He could not do that against Ratbirds last season and why all of sudden he gives Steelers best chance to win? What has transpired between that Ratbird game and now? Its not like Dixon was playing exceptionally well in TC. He struggled in red zone offense in TC. Dixon also struggled against Donkeys vanilla defense and minus Elvis. Infact Dixon might be on the chopping block if Steelers think Batch is a better option.

Best play Dixon has...tug the ball and run. BA should utilize it and play Dixon in slash/wild cat during reg season. He could be in pain in the back for opposing D.

Steelers are not looking to develop a QB in those 4 games. Steelers want a QB who can be a good game manager and let Mendy/Moore/Redman take over.

Dixon might end up as a great QB in Joe Montana mold but right now he is not even at Bruce Gradkowski level.

:Clap :Clap Well said. We aren't looking for the next franchise QB in the first four games (Dixon will never be that). We are looking for an experienced game manager who can get the ball to Hines and Miller in the passing games and hand off to Mendy and Moore. We also need a QB who can read a defense and take advanatage of what he sees. Dixon is not the guy for that.

Slapstick
08-31-2010, 08:34 AM
:Clap :Clap Well said. We aren't looking for the next franchise QB in the first four games (Dixon will never be that). We are looking for an experienced game manager who can get the ball to Hines and Miller in the passing games and hand off to Mendy and Moore. We also need a QB who can read a defense and take advanatage of what he sees. Dixon is not the guy for that.

Based upon what I've watched, Leftwich is not that guy either...

Maybe Batch IS the best choice...

Oviedo
08-31-2010, 08:38 AM

I'd have no issue with that but not sure Charlie is even on the roster. To me Leftwich and Batch are two sides of the same coin. Both have the necessary experience but both have flaws.

proudpittsburgher
08-31-2010, 08:39 AM

And if I were making the decisions, Batch IS the guy I would choose, with a heavy dose of Dixon mixed in in wildcat scenarios.

frankthetank1
08-31-2010, 08:40 AM

im starting to think this as well. i think i would rather have batch play than lefty. i bet batch would beat lefty in a race. this situation is starting to worry me a lot. it would be one thing if we had a dominant run game and o-line to take the pressure off the qb but we don't. watching any qb play instead of ben is painful.

Slapstick
08-31-2010, 11:02 AM

Except that they aren't...

Ben Roethlisberger is the QB who won SB XLIII

Trent Dilfer is the QB who didn't lose SB XXXV...

feltdizz
08-31-2010, 11:32 AM

Totally different D's though.... our D gave up a ton of points in the 4th.

IF, and I repeat.... this is a big IF...our D shut down AZ in the fourth all the haters would call Ben Dilfer 2.0 because he had a so-so game until that last drive.

The reality is Ben DID have THE DRIVE, THROW and CATCH.

It all comes down to the D in IMO. If they play lights out we Lefty can get it done. If we need to move the ball and our D gives up points early...

SteelAbility
08-31-2010, 12:21 PM

With two totally DIFFERENT defenses. We're talking about QBs on the SAME team. So that and that are the same (given that they are statements about the SAME team).

flippy
08-31-2010, 12:46 PM
Dixon, Lefty, and Batch have all screwed up. I hope to see what ARE can do behind center. He has a better career passer rating that any of the backups.

SteelAbility
08-31-2010, 01:55 PM
Dixon, Lefty, and Batch have all screwed up. I hope to see what ARE can do behind center. He has a better career passer rating that any of the backups.

You ARE crazy! :P :wink:

Slapstick
08-31-2010, 02:26 PM
Two totally different D's is exactly my point...

If the Steelers' D is going to dominate then putting in Leftwich, the DLG QB (Don't Lose the Game) is the right choice...but, if the offense needs to actually move the ball to score, then maybe DLG isn't the way to go...

Oviedo
08-31-2010, 02:44 PM

If the Steelers' D is going to dominate then putting in Leftwich, the DLG QB (Don't Lose the Game) is the right choice...but, if the offense needs to actually move the ball to score, then maybe DLG isn't the way to go...

You have much more faith in our defense after last season and with what we have seen in the preseason than I do.

SteelAbility
08-31-2010, 03:29 PM

Ok. I see your point. You believe Dixon is higher risk (more potential for mess up) and higher potential reward (but also more potential for scoring) than Lefty. So, now the D dictates QB choice. K. I'll go along with that. :Bow

feltdizz
08-31-2010, 03:32 PM

Ok. I see your point. You believe Dixon is higher risk (more potential for mess up) and higher potential reward (but also more potential for scoring) than Lefty. So, now the D dictates QB choice. K. I'll go along with that. :Bow

Can we really let the D dictate QB choice in game one? What if the D shows they can't hold teams and play like they did in Denver. Not bad but mistakes and penalties put us behind... can we just switch QB's or will we need a week to revamp?

It's a tricky situation. I would go with Batch.

frankthetank1
08-31-2010, 03:36 PM

Can we really let the D dictate QB choice in game one? What if the D shows they can't hold teams and play like they did in Denver. Not bad but mistakes and penalties put us behind... can we just switch QB's or will we need a week to revamp?

It's a tricky situation. I would go with Batch.

i also would go with batch or dixon but i dont think it really matters who plays qb the first four games. i think we are screwed without ben. if we could run the ball and eat up clock as well as playing dominant defense than we will be ok. i would be very happy with 2-2 but i could see 1-3 as more of a possibility after seeing both qb's play badly this preseason

feltdizz
08-31-2010, 03:44 PM
I still think Batch can make the best reads and knows the O so well he gives us a chance in every game. He won't be throwing the bomb to Wallace like Lefty though.

Lefty has a big arm but can't throw underneath to save his life.

Dixon can move the chains but he had WTF decision making last game. If he can play within himself he would be the obvious choice. I wish he would have thrown that endzone pass away. It would change the whole convo IMO.

papillon
08-31-2010, 03:50 PM
I still think Batch can make the best reads and knows the O so well he gives us a chance in every game. He won't be throwing the bomb to Wallace like Lefty though.

Dixon can move the chains but he had WTF decision making last game. If he can play within himself he would be the obvious choice. I wish he would have thrown that endzone pass away. It would change the whole convo IMO.

But, he didn't throw that pass away and it appeared that the thought of throwing it away never crossed his mind. If it had, the ball would have been in the cheap seats long before he got to the sideline. He was still believing that there was a play to be made and there wasn't. It's that decision making or lack of it that scares the Hades out of me.

Pappy

aggiebones
08-31-2010, 05:21 PM
For those of you that don't remember, Leftwich has won games in this league. Maybe 50%.
If he could win 50% while Ben is gone, we should be dancing in the streets like we won the SB, cause 2-2 is not a bad situation. We've been worse many times and made playoffs.

fezziwig
08-31-2010, 08:28 PM
For those of you that don't remember, Leftwich has won games in this league. Maybe 50%.
If he could win 50% while Ben is gone, we should be dancing in the streets like we won the SB, cause 2-2 is not a bad situation. We've been worse many times and made playoffs.

Good point. after seeing our game against the Broncos, I'd take 50% wins about now.

frankthetank1
08-31-2010, 09:37 PM

lefty has an amazing record of 25-26 in the nfl. keep in mind he had jimmy smith and fred taylor in their prime. if we are 2-2 after the first four i will be very very happy. week one is so important. if we win against the falcons at home we will go 2-2. the bucs are horrid. i dont think the falcons will be an easy out this season.

feltdizz
08-31-2010, 10:08 PM

But, he didn't throw that pass away and it appeared that the thought of throwing it away never crossed his mind. If it had, the ball would have been in the cheap seats long before he got to the sideline. He was still believing that there was a play to be made and there wasn't. It's that decision making or lack of it that scares the Hades out of me.

Pappy

I know he didn't...

but people need to stop acting like Dixon was the first QB to throw an ill advised pass in the endzone.

I know he blew his chance but it's a little crazy to point to that one throw and say Dixon is done. I think he was pressing to make plays...

papillon
09-01-2010, 08:01 AM

Pappy

I know he didn't...

but people need to stop acting like Dixon was the first QB to throw an ill advised pass in the endzone.

I know he blew his chance but it's a little crazy to point to that one throw and say Dixon is done. I think he was pressing to make plays...

The reality is that Dixon was indecisive in the pocket the entire time he was on the field. He was given ample time to complete passes by the offensive line, either the WRs weren't open or Dixon didn't see them. It wasn't just the one play, it was his entire time on the field. The INT in the end zone was simply the result that you knew was coming by watching him play.

I hope he'll become the player the Steelers believe he can become, but for the first 4 games give me very few mistakes, very few out of the ordinary good plays and a chance to win each game; that's about all we can ask for at this point.

Pappy

feltdizz
09-01-2010, 08:43 AM
Hmm.... Dixon made a few good reads IMO. He wasn't in a groove but he made a few throws that were good. The pass to Johnson in the flat was good. The first pass on 3rd down that was batted down(throwing lane wasn't good but it happens to the best of them) and that would have been a first down. He hit Hines in the second half. He was drilled on a pass that was just out of bounds but he hung in there and took the hit.

I didn't see Dixon as this fish out of water... I saw a kid who pressed some and hasn't had that much time vs first team speed. I wasn't expecting Dixon to come out looking like Montana or Ben... I think it's clear he will miss a few reads but get those first downs that give him and our O another chance.

While I like Lefty's experience the guy seems to have a lot of 3 and outs... maybe with Pouncey Lefty will have more time to find the WR's in time. As of right now though he hasn't been so impressive I'm convinced he is the best chance to win 4 games.

proudpittsburgher
09-01-2010, 08:51 AM
Hmm.... Dixon made a few good reads IMO. He wasn't in a groove but he made a few throws that were good. The pass to Johnson in the flat was good. The first pass on 3rd down that was batted down(throwing lane wasn't good but it happens to the best of them) and that would have been a first down. He hit Hines in the second half. He was drilled on a pass that was just out of bounds but he hung in there and took the hit.

I didn't see Dixon as this fish out of water... I saw a kid who pressed some and hasn't had that much time vs first team speed. I wasn't expecting Dixon to come out looking like Montana or Ben... I think it's clear he will miss a few reads but get those first downs that give him and our O another chance.

While I like Lefty's experience the guy seems to have a lot of 3 and outs... maybe with Pouncey Lefty will have more time to find the WR's in time. As of right now though he hasn't been so impressive I'm convinced he is the best chance to win 4 games.

I certainly am not calling DD a bum, there is just too much to lose, IMO, by putting him in there as a starter, and he can provide so much of a boost in a small package of plays off the bench.

RuthlessBurgher
09-01-2010, 09:35 AM
I certainly am not calling DD a bum, there is just too much to lose, IMO, by putting him in there as a starter, and he can provide so much of a boost in a small package of plays off the bench.

Starting Leftwich and bringing in Dixon for a boost in a small package of plays off the bench is the best option. It seems like that was Tomlin's plan all along, and it is the way we will go. Force the opponent to prepare for two contrasting styles at QB each week while Ben is on the shelf.

steelcurtain44
09-01-2010, 11:50 AM

Pappy

I know he didn't...

The reality is that Dixon was indecisive in the pocket the entire time he was on the field. He was given ample time to complete passes by the offensive line, either the WRs weren't open or Dixon didn't see them. It wasn't just the one play, it was his entire time on the field. The INT in the end zone was simply the result that you knew was coming by watching him play.

I hope he'll become the player the Steelers believe he can become, but for the first 4 games give me very few mistakes, very few out of the ordinary good plays and a chance to win each game; that's about all we can ask for at this point.

Pappy

That's it right there Pappy. You can give Dixon the benefit of the doubt on the interceptions, but other than one drive in the 1st quarter, he was given lots of time in the pocket. There was never really much pressure, but Dixon wouldn't stay in the pocket to wait for an open receiver if he didn't see one. His first thought was to leave the pocket. That's what the coaches see from him.

People keep talking about the coaches set him up to fail. What by seeing if he can throw the ball down field? Isn't that what he's suppose to be able to do if he's named the starter? How can people say he's the better option, if he can't handle being in the pocket and throwing the ball. Like others have said, let Lefty be the starter, and bring Dixon in for plays specifically designed for him to succeed. Because you can't have him running options plays the whole game, just because that's all he can do at this point in his career.