PDA

View Full Version : Is no news, bad news?

Discipline of Steel
08-29-2010, 04:28 PM
I heard hardly anything about Jason Worilds this summer. Compared to the glowing reviews of Pouncey, Sanders, Sylvester, Butler, and Brown, there has been very little on Worilds. I guess it's safe to say he is not overachieving like the others. Anyone with any insight as to his progress?

AkronSteel
08-29-2010, 04:35 PM
I know he was a little banged up early in TC but the guy just hasn't stepped up and made the plays you would expect from a 2nd round pick!! As always it seems the Steelers reached for a 2nd round guy and at this point the guy doesn't look like he is going to be anything special, at least not this year. Gibson has outplayed him all TC and preseason. Here's hoping that all he needs is a year of seasoning and he will make his step up next year. I could see the guy being inactive all year because Timmons would probably step outside if something happens to Woodley/Harrison during a game and Foote or Fox would take over his spot on the inside. I think Worilds makes the Final 53 just won't contribute much if at all!!

:2c

hawaiiansteel
08-29-2010, 04:54 PM
Worilds is obviously a bust... :D

steelsnis
08-29-2010, 04:55 PM
know he was a little banged up early in TC but the guy just hasn't stepped up and made the plays you would expect from a 2nd round pick!! As always it seems the Steelers reached for a 2nd round guy and at this point the guy doesn't look like he is going to be anything special, at least not this year.

Haha, glass half empty much??? :wink: Worilds will be fine. He had a bum hamstring that kept him out of a bunch of practices plus the 1st preseason game, so all we've seen of him was last week vs. the Giants. He dropped into coverage a TON during that game, hopefully we'll see him some more tonight.

I think it's pretty dangerous to write someone off for the the entire year based on one single preseason game.

birtikidis
08-29-2010, 04:57 PM
As always, we reach for a guy in the second who we should never have drafted. just like we did with woodley. damn second round pics never work out.

AkronSteel
08-29-2010, 05:23 PM
I'm not saying he guy is going to be a bust. All I said was we haven't seen much or heard much from him. I just don't see the guy contributing much this year. I would love for him to be a special teams ace, I guess it will depend on him and Sylvester and who is the better special teams player, at least this year. I'm not being negative just realistic! I hope the guy turns into the 2nd coming of Wood....that would be great!

Shawn
08-29-2010, 05:36 PM

:lol:

The fact is he has been banged up. And when you are a rookie that is HUGE. It's impossible to make any determination about him on any level at this point.

Discipline of Steel
08-29-2010, 05:39 PM

:lol:

The fact is he has been banged up. And when you are a rookie that is HUGE. It's impossible to make any determination about him on any level at this point.

Wasnt he injured his senior year of college too? hmmm...

Shawn
08-29-2010, 06:26 PM
Again...making any determination this early is reactionary and nothing more.

Relentless7
08-29-2010, 06:28 PM
To compare Worilds to Woodley is negligent at best and downright silly at worst. Woodley was a guy that had first round talent who we were lucky enough to get in the 2nd round. Worilds was a guy that was projected to go in the 3rd or 4th round and we over drafted him in the 2nd. I'm not saying he's going to be a "bust" based on one pre-season game. I'm saying that it was an overdraft in April and will always be an overdraft. I just don't think he will help the Steelers in ANY way this year, "hamstring issue" or not.

Discipline of Steel
08-29-2010, 06:51 PM
Again...making any determination this early is reactionary and nothing more.

Yes but now im suspiscious.

AkronSteel
08-29-2010, 06:52 PM
To clarify I was only comparing Worilds to Woodley in that they were 2nd round selections. I wouldn't mind if he turned into a player the quality of Woodley is what was meant by my statement. I agree that the only way this guy will contribute this year is on Special Teams, if at all....guess we will all have to wait and see???

Eddie Spaghetti
08-29-2010, 06:59 PM
I really wanted Mt Cody with that pick.

hope worldis turns into another woodley.

hawaiiansteel
08-29-2010, 07:05 PM

in addition to Mt. Cody, I also wanted ILB Sean Lee, WR Golden Tate and OT Charles Brown ahead of Jason Worilds...i think the Steelers just fell in love with Worilds at his Pro Day workout.

Shawn
08-29-2010, 07:09 PM

I'm right with ya.

Discipline of Steel
08-29-2010, 07:13 PM
I can think of a lot of players i would have preferred over Worilds, including Gerhardt but the Vikings jumped in front of us and snacked him up. What do they need him for anyway when they have AP?

Eddie Spaghetti
08-29-2010, 07:16 PM
Pouncey/Cody

talk about getting stronger up the middle.

buckeyehoppy
08-29-2010, 07:49 PM
I don't really know if this guy being silent in the midst of some good camps by the rest of his draft class is necessarily bad. It just sucks that he is not standing out as someone we took in the 2nd Round.

Also, he has had legitimate injury concerns. That can happen to anyone. I also think he was drafted as a possible injury liability. Why we would have taken him in the 2nd under those circumstances is beyond me. But the Steelers need to make the best of this. Jason Worilds will make the team, unless his injuries relegate him to the IR. But, if he does make the 53, he'd better be good to go!

buckeyehoppy
08-29-2010, 07:51 PM

in addition to Mt. Cody, I also wanted ILB Sean Lee, WR Golden Tate and OT Charles Brown ahead of Jason Worilds...i think the Steelers just fell in love with Worilds at his Pro Day workout.

Under the circumstances so far, Charles Brown would have looked really good in Black and Gold.