PDA

View Full Version : 57 Players

AkronSteel
08-29-2010, 01:24 PM
So there are 57 players who have a legitimate chance of making the final roster. I'm having trouble cutting the last 4.....who do we keep and why??

QB (3 or 4): Ben Roethlisberger*, Dennis Dixon, Byron Leftwich, Charlie Batch

Ben is obviously out for the first 4 games but do we keep 2 or 3 until he is ready to come back? I believe we have a roster exemption for Ben for the first 4?

RB (4): Rashard Mendenhall, Isaac Redman, Mewelde Moore, Frank Summers

I actually think these 4 are locks unless the team would rather keep McHugh over Summers due to his position flexibility and the fact that Summers is really just a FB.

WR (6): Hines Ward, Mike Wallace, ARE, Emmanuel Sanders, Arnaz Battle, Antonio Brown

I truly believe all these guys have made the team and there really isn't any competition except who is going to dress on game days. ARE may be the odd man out on games days because it looks like Brown will be the KR/PR and Battle will be a gunner.

TE (4): Heath Miller, Matt Spaeth, David Johnson, Sean McHugh

There could be a situation where all these guys stay if like I said above the team would rather keep McHugh as opposed to Summers.

OL (10): Max Starks, Chris Kemoeatu, Maurkice Pouncey, Trai Essex, Flozell Adams, Jonathan Scott, Ramon Foster, Doug Legursky, Kraig Urbik, Tony Hills

This is a position that I can't figure out?? I would suppose the team will only keep 9 and will only keep 7 or 8 active on game days. So who is the one to go? Has Hills shown enough to deserve a roster spot when Scott or even Essex can play either tackle position in a pinch? Is it just time for Urbik to go? That would be a shame because we wasted such a high pick on him.

DL (7): Aaron Smith, Casey Hampton, Brett Keisel, Ziggy Hood, Chris Hoke, Nick Eason, Doug Worthington

I think all these guys have made enough of a showing to deserve a spot on the final 53. Worthington probably will not dress all year.

LB (9): James Harrison, Lawrence Timmons, James Farrior, Lamarr Woodley, Jason Worilds, Larry Foote, Keyaron Fox, Thaddeus Gibson, Stevenson Sylvester

This group is pretty much set. The biggest disappointment in my eyes has been Worilds but I don't see the team cutting it's 2nd round pick this early. Could the team let Foote go even though he would add valuable veteran depth or is the team confident enough in Sylvester that if need be he could step in and play in the base defense?

DB (11): Ike Taylor, Keenan Lewis, Troy Polamalu, Ryan Clark, BMAC, Joe Burnett, William Gay, Crezdon Butler, Anthony Madison, Will Allen, Ryan Mundy

Who the heck gets cut here? I think Ike, Keenan, Troy and Ryan are locks without a doubt. I would say that BMAC and Will Allen are locks, but I really don't know who else is going to be be kept at the other spots. Does the team risk going with just three safeties since Allen can play both if need be and Keenan can always slide over the the FS spot if need be, he has had practice time there. Burnett has probably shown enough to warrant a spot but one never knows? Is Anthony Madison worth keeping because of his special teams skills? Can the team hide Crezdon Butler on the practice squad for a year and hope no one picks him up? Will William Gay return to his '08 form as a nickel back?

K/P/LS (3): Jeff Reed, Daniel Sepulveda, Greg Warren

I would say these 3 are locks to make the team unless Matt Stewart can beat out Warren and I don't see it.

So what do you think? Who is the last 4 to go? I am assuming that Hartwig is already gone....probably first cut so he may have a chance to catch on with another team. I would like to hear some of your guys opinions as to which way the team will go....Look forward to it! Either way you look at it....it's a good problem to have most of these guys won't be on the street long after they are cut anyway.

:tt1 :tt1

D Rock
08-29-2010, 03:33 PM
After Ben returns I see it this way...

QB-3-Ben, Lefty*, Dixon
RB-4-Mendy, Moore, Redman, Summers
WR-6-Ward, Wallace, ARE, Sanders, Brown, Battle
TE-3-Miller, Spaeth, Johnson*
OL-9-Starks, Kemo, Pouncey, Essex, Adams, Hills, Foster, Legursky, Urbik*
DL-7-Smith, Hampton, Keisel, Hood, Hoke, Eason, Worthington*
LB-9-Harrison, Timmons, Farrior, Woodley, Worilds*, Gibson, Fox, Foote, Sylvester*
DB-9-Troy, Clark, Ike, Lewis, BMAC, Burnett, Butler*, Allen, Mundy*
ST-3-Reed, Sepulveda, Warren

*are game-day inactives

I think Hartwig and Gay are the big-name cuts. Madison goes because Battle can be the gunner and also have a role other than special teams. They brought Sunny Harris back last year, but he doesn't seem to have made a difference...I think they go with Worthington instead. Butler has more potential than Gay in the long run so Gay is gone. He's fallen to #4 on the depth chart anyways, so he is expendable. Johnson is kept over McHugh for age reasons.

ramblinjim
08-29-2010, 03:39 PM
My take on this is probably not worth much but I see where you are going and I think the following moves gets it to 53

Summers gets cut. He hasn't shown me enough to keep him around again.

David Johnson can play fullback, he's the third tight end; Sean McHugh doesn't make it.

Not sure about your DL picks, Sunny Harris may have one last shot, sending Worthington to the Practice Squad. Not sure on that though.

I think Foote is a lock as the James Farrior insurance package. I don't see Larry going anywhere.

I see Madison getting cut this year. Battle and Allen are also excellen special teamers and his time is probably about done. Anthony Madison has been a very good Steeler.

I could also see Urbik or Legursky not making it this year. I could also see one of Gay, Burnett or Butler also not making the team. Gay and Burnett are kind of the same player when it's all said and done, Burnett could maybe sit on the practice squard? Perhaps Urbik could too? Maybe they'll try and hide Butler this year.

StarSpangledSteeler
08-29-2010, 05:28 PM
My take on this is probably not worth much but I see where you are going and I think the following moves gets it to 53

David Johnson can play fullback, he's the third tight end; Sean McHugh doesn't make it.

Not sure about your DL picks, Sunny Harris may have one last shot, sending Worthington to the Practice Squad. Not sure on that though.

I think Foote is a lock as the James Farrior insurance package. I don't see Larry going anywhere.

I see Madison getting cut this year. Battle and Allen are also excellen special teamers and his time is probably about done. Anthony Madison has been a very good Steeler.

I could also see Urbik or Legursky not making it this year. I could also see one of Gay, Burnett or Butler also not making the team. Gay and Burnett are kind of the same player when it's all said and done, Burnett could maybe sit on the practice squard? Perhaps Urbik could too? Maybe they'll try and hide Butler this year.

I agree with almost everything you said. I don't understand how or why everyone including our own coaches is so set on Summers. The guy cannot block. Let me repeat that... He is a fullback who cannot block. "Well he can play RB in a pinch." And what kind of pinch would that be? If Mendy, Moore and Redman all get hurt, that's not a pinch, that's a crisis. And we would be bringing in actual half-backs to carry the load. CUT SUMMERS and use either Johnson or McHugh, or even Redman.

The same thing applies for Gay. He's a cornerback who cannot cover. (Or tackle for that matter). Where do you play him? Third down dime packages? What can Gay do that Burnett cannot? CUT GAY. That way you can keep Butler who may develop into a starting number two corner.

The biggest question mark on this entire team is Urbik. One year later, we still just don't know if this guy is going to cut it. Opinions are all over the place. Hills is finally showing us something in year three. Sometimes it takes a little longer. Could this be the case with Urbik? Are there unknown injury issues involved? Combine that with the uncertainty over Hartwig's role and I don't know that we have an extra spot to keep him. I would like to think that the battle comes down to Legursky and Hartwig but we might be looking at Legursky-Hartwig-Urbik keeping two.

AkronSteel
08-29-2010, 05:43 PM
The biggest question mark on this entire team is Urbik. One year later, we still just don't know if this guy is going to cut it. Opinions are all over the place. Hills is finally showing us something in year three. Sometimes it takes a little longer. Could this be the case with Urbik? Are there unknown injury issues involved? Combine that with the uncertainty over Hartwig's role and I don't know that we have an extra spot to keep him. I would like to think that the battle comes down to Legursky and Hartwig but we might be looking at Legursky-Hartwig-Urbik keeping two.

I just don't see the team keeping 10 OL on the roster this year. There are alot of guys with position flexibility which is a big thing for Coach Tomlin. Heck even Essex could slide out to LT or RT. If you look at the numbers!

Starters:
LT: Max Starks
LG: Chris Kemoeatu
C: Maurkice Pouncey
RG: Trai Essex
RT: Flozell Adams

Ramon Foster (LG/RG/RT)
Doug Legursky (LG/C/RG)
Jonathan Scott (LT/RT)

I think the last roster spot comes down to Urbik or Hills because I would suppose that the team plans to release Hartwig and save the cash left on his contract (not sure how that is affected by the uncapped year). So there is one spot for Urbik or Hills......who stays and who goes? If the Steelers could they might be able to move Urbik to the practice squad because he didn't dress last year.....although I doubt he would make it there.....someone would pluck him up if he was cut I would think???

SanAntonioSteelerFan
08-29-2010, 05:58 PM
Seems like we are in a good position - too many good players to fit into the available slots.

I wonder - are we the rule or the exception in this regard, in the NFL?

If everyone is in the same boat, I guess our "extra" guys may be safe on the PS. Otherwise, it'll really hurt to cut them, as we'll probably wind up playing against them ...

buckeyehoppy
08-29-2010, 06:05 PM
So there are 57 players who have a legitimate chance of making the final roster. I'm having trouble cutting the last 4.....who do we keep and why??

Let's take a look under Ziggy's hood...LOL!

FWIW, the one disadvantage to rookies sticking on the 53 is that they have yet to be activated which makes them easy targets for the PS

QB (3 or 4): Ben Roethlisberger*, Dennis Dixon, Byron Leftwich, Charlie Batch

Ben is obviously out for the first 4 games but do we keep 2 or 3 until he is ready to come back? I believe we have a roster exemption for Ben for the first 4?

I'm pretty sure Ben would be exempt. If that's the case, the Steelers could keep three. Once Ben returns however, it will be a toss up between Lefty and CB for who would be the 3rd QB.

RB (4): Rashard Mendenhall, Isaac Redman, Mewelde Moore, Frank Summers

I actually think these 4 are locks unless the team would rather keep McHugh over Summers due to his position flexibility and the fact that Summers is really just a FB.

Most of the one-trick ponies, like Summers, are far from locks for the final roster. I think the winner between McHugh and Johnson will also serve as FB and save a roster spot between the two positions.

WR (6): Hines Ward, Mike Wallace, ARE, Emmanuel Sanders, Arnaz Battle, Antonio Brown

I truly believe all these guys have made the team and there really isn't any competition except who is going to dress on game days. ARE may be the odd man out on games days because it looks like Brown will be the KR/PR and Battle will be a gunner.

I don't think they'd keep ARE if they aren't going to activate him for every game. He'll either be active or he'll be gone and we can go with 5. If anyone will make the team but be inactive, it'll be Sanders. And if they are thinking that ARE is on the bubble, why keep him anyway? Brandon London has looked fabulous so far and is making settling this position increasingly hard.

TE (4): Heath Miller, Matt Spaeth, David Johnson, Sean McHugh

There could be a situation where all these guys stay if like I said above the team would rather keep McHugh as opposed to Summers.

I can't see a situation where we keep all four, even if Summers gets cut. I think the last spot here is the winner between McHugh and Johnson. Johnson has youth and isn't as banged up. McHugh is much larger and might be able to handle the dual role more efficiently.

OL (10): Max Starks, Chris Kemoeatu, Maurkice Pouncey, Trai Essex, Flozell Adams, Jonathan Scott, Ramon Foster, Doug Legursky, Kraig Urbik, Tony Hills

This is a position that I can't figure out?? I would suppose the team will only keep 9 and will only keep 7 or 8 active on game days. So who is the one to go? Has Hills shown enough to deserve a roster spot when Scott or even Essex can play either tackle position in a pinch? Is it just time for Urbik to go? That would be a shame because we wasted such a high pick on him.

The disadvantage Urbik has is that I don't believe he has been game active yet. If that's the case, the Steelers could try to sneak him onto the PS. And I am probably in the minority here, but I am not sold that Slowzell has locked up a roster spot. If the Steelers believe Scott could handle the starting duties at RT and if Slowzell keeps showing how slow he is and isn't much of an upgrade over Colon (so far, I say he hasn't shown that), then I can see the Steelers launching Slowzell, too.

I think the actives will be your starting 5, minus Slowzell, and it would mean the rest will make it with Legursky and Urbik being your inactives.

DL (7): Aaron Smith, Casey Hampton, Brett Keisel, Ziggy Hood, Chris Hoke, Nick Eason, Doug Worthington

I think all these guys have made enough of a showing to deserve a spot on the final 53. Worthington probably will not dress all year.

Pretty much nothing I can add to this logic. The only way DW gets any activated is if someone gets hurt... stay tuned!

LB (9): James Harrison, Lawrence Timmons, James Farrior, Lamarr Woodley, Jason Worilds, Larry Foote, Keyaron Fox, Thaddeus Gibson, Stevenson Sylvester

This group is pretty much set. The biggest disappointment in my eyes has been Worilds but I don't see the team cutting it's 2nd round pick this early. Could the team let Foote go even though he would add valuable veteran depth or is the team confident enough in Sylvester that if need be he could step in and play in the base defense?

The question to ask here is whether you keep both Farrior and Foote when they both provide the same set of qualities? If that's the case, then I say Foote might be standing in quick sand come cut day. I don't think Worilds gets cut either. But he may be nothing more than a ST one-trick pony. Can anyone say Scott Shields?

DB (11): Ike Taylor, Keenan Lewis, Troy Polamalu, Ryan Clark, BMAC, Joe Burnett, William Gay, Crezdon Butler, Anthony Madison, Will Allen, Ryan Mundy

Who the heck gets cut here? I think Ike, Keenan, Troy and Ryan are locks without a doubt. I would say that BMAC and Will Allen are locks, but I really don't know who else is going to be be kept at the other spots. Does the team risk going with just three safeties since Allen can play both if need be and Keenan can always slide over the the FS spot if need be, he has had practice time there. Burnett has probably shown enough to warrant a spot but one never knows? Is Anthony Madison worth keeping because of his special teams skills? Can the team hide Crezdon Butler on the practice squad for a year and hope no one picks him up? Will William Gay return to his '08 form as a nickel back?

It's doubtful we keep 11. If that's the case, Madison is gone from this list. He's a ST player almost exclusively who doesn't bring enough to the D to keep him around for ST alone. They might try to sneak Butler onto the PS. But do you do that just to keep Madison around? I don't think so.

K/P/LS (3): Jeff Reed, Daniel Sepulveda, Greg Warren

I would say these 3 are locks to make the team unless Matt Stewart can beat out Warren and I don't see it.

The three you've listed will make the team, barring injury.

So what do you think? Who is the last 4 to go? I am assuming that Hartwig is already gone....probably first cut so he may have a chance to catch on with another team. I would like to hear some of your guys opinions as to which way the team will go....Look forward to it! Either way you look at it....it's a good problem to have most of these guys won't be on the street long after they are cut anyway.

:tt1 :tt1

I'll be looking at the C tonight. If Pouncey outplays Hartwig, Hartwig might be in the short first round of cuts to give him time to get another gig. It's not that he's horrible (that would be Sean Mahan). It's just that he's ordinary when we have a chance to start a potential ROTY if he stays healthy and executes his position.

The guys I think are really singing for the supper tonight are the following:

Frank Summers
ARE
Sean McHugh
David Johnson
Flozell Adams
Jonathan Scott
Doug Legursky
Kraig Urbik
Larry Foote
William Gay
Crezdon Butler
Anthony Madison

buckeyehoppy
08-29-2010, 06:29 PM
Seems like we are in a good position - too many good players to fit into the available slots.

I wonder - are we the rule or the exception in this regard, in the NFL?

If everyone is in the same boat, I guess our "extra" guys may be safe on the PS. Otherwise, it'll really hurt to cut them, as we'll probably wind up playing against them ...

One thing the Steelers have managed to do the last couple drafts is that they have really shored up the bench. It's why I am not that concerned about injuries at most of our positions. I think we will have issues on both interior lines, altho I feel good about the DL if they can stay as healthy as possible. I think the OL is still the weakest link no matter how you slice it. If we have injuries on the OL, we're f^cked with a red hot cattle prod.

aggiebones
08-29-2010, 08:14 PM

I agree with almost everything you said. I don't understand how or why everyone including our own coaches is so set on Summers. The guy cannot block. Let me repeat that... He is a fullback who cannot block. "Well he can play RB in a pinch." And what kind of pinch would that be? If Mendy, Moore and Redman all get hurt, that's not a pinch, that's a crisis. And we would be bringing in actual half-backs to carry the load. CUT SUMMERS and use either Johnson or McHugh, or even Redman.

The same thing applies for Gay. He's a cornerback who cannot cover. (Or tackle for that matter). Where do you play him? Third down dime packages? What can Gay do that Burnett cannot? CUT GAY. That way you can keep Butler who may develop into a starting number two corner.

Some was funny, some sad and true.
"Well he can play RB in a pinch."
Yea, so can Casey Hampton frankly. Doesn't mean he will be good. And yes, we would get someone else if any of the 3 get hurt.

""Well he can play RB in a pinch."