PDA

View Full Version : IMO, Troy and Aaron smith should only play 1 quarter

steelblood
08-28-2010, 08:35 AM
Why risk injury to two guys our D can't live without? Get them a taste and then wrap them in bubble wrap until the season starts. Our D needs them to be special.

rpmpit
08-28-2010, 08:50 AM
The one thing I didn't like about Troy vs the Giants was the missed tackles. And I know he's had that problem in the past. Going in like the Tazmanian Devil, he sometimes overplays the play. Still, I think he needs a decent amount of reps in this game to better prepare himself for the regular season.

Injuries can happen anytime and even during practice, as we have seen. Tough call to say how long a player should play during pre-season.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
08-28-2010, 08:57 AM
The one thing I didn't like about Troy vs the Giants was the missed tackles. And I know he's had that problem in the past. Going in like the Tazmanian Devil, he sometimes overplays the play. Still, I think he needs a decent amount of reps in this game to better prepare himself for the regular season.

Injuries can happen anytime and even during practice, as we have seen. Tough call to say how long a player should play during pre-season.

:Agree

IIRC, the last time Troy played like an unguided missile, he was hurt and it was like he was trying to overcompensate (obviously before his season-ending injury last year when he was on special teams during that kick :HeadBanger , maybe earlier that season or the year before).

Obviously he's not hurt now, so I guess he's just shaking the rust off.

Hopefully, he's not trying to overcompensate because he's lost a step. He's too young for that right???

Oviedo
08-28-2010, 09:00 AM

:Agree

IIRC, the last time Troy played like an unguided missile, he was hurt and it was like he was trying to overcompensate (obviously before his season-ending injury last year when he was on special teams during that kick :HeadBanger , maybe earlier that season or the year before).

Obviously he's not hurt now, so I guess he's just shaking the rust off.

Hopefully, he's not trying to overcompensate because he's lost a step. He's too young for that right???

I think one quarter to shake off the rust should be enough. Not sure the bad tackling is rust though. Troy has never been a great tackler. He is more like a Kamikaze than a smart bomb.

feltdizz
08-28-2010, 09:58 AM
I wouldn't play them deep into the 3rd Qtr but it's not like you can protect a guy from a freak injury. I'm not worried about Troy's wild style. He has never been a great tackler but he usually slows a guy down enough for the rest of the D to clean up.

steelblood
08-28-2010, 10:43 AM
You may not be able to prevent him from a freak injury (like a fat person falling on him from the upper deck), but you can prevent him from a playing injury. :D