PDA

View Full Version : Question about 53 man roster

steelerkeylargo
08-28-2010, 06:46 AM
Will Ben count toward the 53 man while suspended??? Or, is their an exemption and someone will have to be cut to make room once he returns?

Oviedo
08-28-2010, 08:29 AM
From what I understand he does not count until he comes back. Once he comes back someone needs to get cut.

calmkiller
08-28-2010, 03:41 PM
From what I understand he does not count until he comes back. Once he comes back someone needs to get cut.

Correct

focosteeler
08-28-2010, 03:56 PM
do you think they keep batch in the 53 and then when ben comes back they cut him?

hawaiiansteel
08-28-2010, 03:58 PM
although a roster spot needs to be opened up a player wouldn't necessarily need to get cut.

a player could also be traded or placed on the Injured Reserved list...

JPbucco
08-28-2010, 04:14 PM
No reason to keep Charlie...he's not going anywhere else and is a phone call away.

RuthlessBurgher
08-29-2010, 11:22 AM
No reason to keep Charlie...he's not going anywhere else and is a phone call away.

:Agree

In the unlikely even that both Leftwich and Dixon got knocked out in the same game, we have Antwaan Randle El, Arnaz Battle, and Hines Ward, all of whom played QB for a major college program once upon a time (for Indiana, Notre Dame, and Georgia, respectively). After the game, you could call Charlie up and re-sign him for the following week (I highly doubt that another team will snatch him up, since he is older and he won't know that team's system).

AkronSteel
08-29-2010, 12:39 PM
I wouldn't keep Batch on the final 53 (or 54) however you wanna look at it. It would be a waste of a roster spot. Give the guy a field pass so he can help the QB's from the sidelines with a view of what he is looking at, and if something happens to Dixon or Leftwich then you can always resign the guy. I just don't see the sense in keeping him around at the expense of another player who can actually contribute. We still have ARE who could be an emergency QB if the worst case scenario were to happen.