PDA

View Full Version : Ed Bouchette's Steelers chat transcript: 8.24.2010

calmkiller
08-27-2010, 06:05 PM
I didn't see this post anywhere else. Sorry if its a repost. Scout's MB had a big discussion about this chat. I haven't read it myself yet but apparently Ed says Brown will get cut and the Steelers are only going to keep 8 LBs. I will have to read it to make sure that is indeed what he said but if true I find it very hard to believe.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/inde ... pt-8242010 (http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports-town/steelers/104509-ed-bouchettes-steelers-chat-transcript-8242010)

Ed Bouchette: Good afternoon, all. Let's begin.

SteelerFANagh1: Do the coaches support your idea to play both Leftwich and Dixon in the same game or are they going to go with the consistency of one quarterback given the new line and receivers?

Ed Bouchette: Both Mike Tomlin and Bruce Arians said they have special packages for Dennis Dixon and Arians said he will use both quarterbacks, pulling out all the stops while Ben Roethlisberger is absent.

Crowned: Ed, why is Pouncey not the bonafide starter at center at this point? Why do the Steelers have to make every easy decision seem so difficult???

Ed Bouchette: I believe the coaches have done a nice job working Maurkice Pouncey in with the first team and I believe he will open the season as the starter at center.

Scott S.: Ed, is there any way Tomlin switches Starks to the right and moves Adams to his more-natural left tackle position?

Ed Bouchette: Never say never, but I do not believe you will see that.

Paul: Hello Ed!

Ed Bouchette: Paul.

Polamalu43: Ed, Gerry Dulac said last week that the Steelers will only keep 8 Linebackers and the 8th spot is between Sylvester, Bailey and other rookie Gibson. Do you believe they will keep 9 Linebackers and do you think that if Sylvester and Gibson get cut, they won't make it practice squad BECAUSE they get picked up by another team?

Ed Bouchette: Gerry did not write that because he pulled it out of thin air. He got it from a good source. I'd like to see them change their mind over the next few weeks and go with 9.

bob Bottone: I am a transplanted Pittsburgher living in Columbus for the last 30 years ...

Ed Bouchette: Our condolences.

V-coach: Afternoon, Ed. Based on what you have seen thus far, how many RB's and who do the Steelers keep this year?

Ed Bouchette: I think they will go with four -- Mendenhall, Redman, Moore and Tank. If they go with five, it will come down to Wright or Vincent.

Tprod: Ed, while Wallace can absolutely fly, his route running outside the deep routes leaves a lot to be desired. His blocking is also suspect as he collided with Starks allowing penetration for a loss of seven yards. Any concern at this point that Holmes will be missed more than expected?

Ed Bouchette: Who told you about his route running? You certainly cannot get that off television.

Fresnosteel: Ed: Sometimes it seems as if an article you are writing is really intended for Steeler Coaches/Admin; do you ever get feed back that what you have written has had an impact?

Ed Bouchette: I write for you people, not for the Steelers coaches or anyone else who works there. Yes, I often get feedback but rarely do they make a decision based on anything I've written.

Tom: Ed, bigger concern for the Steelers, RT or CB opposite Taylor?

Ed Bouchette: The cornerback at least cannot get your franchise QB killed.

Fresnosteel: Ed: When will we see you resume the "Daily Question?" I really liked that feature.

Ed Bouchette: I'm ready to do it at any time. I haven't received any questions. Perhaps it's not been promoted yet.

Pete: Hey Ed, any chance that my favorite underdog, Tyler Grisham, makes the team?

Ed Bouchette: Little. There are just too many in front of him. But every time I see him, he's making a catch and I know the coaches like him. They are just not going to keep 7 receivers.

Tprod: Ed, if as your article suggested that Adams is set at RT and Essex at RG, is the only competition then for Center, or does Kemo inconsistent play allow some competition?

Ed Bouchette: I think the competition is winding down everywhere and there has not been any at left guard.

axe-skot: What are the rules about rotating quarterbacks? Would Dixon have to be listed as #2 or #3 for Leftwich to return (assuming Byron is #1 QB)?

Ed Bouchette: During Ben's suspension, it does not matter because they will be 1-2. Once Ben returns, the No. 3 QB has limitations. If they use him before the fourth quarter, the other two QBs cannot go back into the game. Once the fourth quarter starts, all 3 can play.

mbfb1090: Ed, is there a possibility of seeing Redman and Mendenhall in the backfield, together, consistently?

Ed Bouchette: I don't know about consistently, but I think you will see them both in the game at the same time on occasion.

Taz: Hi Ed. Thanks for chatting. Do any particular players and/or coaches talk to you after you've written articles about them? Who is most sensitive to the press they receive?

Ed Bouchette: Yes, I've received feedback through the years, sometimes strong feedback. But it does not occur often and it usually comes in a quick comment, good or bad.

V-coach: Does it look as if Redman is one of 53?

Ed Bouchette: Someone should be arrested if he is not.

chris: Will the Team being watching the waiver wire for another Tackle becoming available?

Ed Bouchette: They inspect that wire like it's their 401K but I would not count on them picking up another right tackle, certainly not one who could actually compete to start. they do not grow on trees or appear on waiver wires

Something Cliche: Is it safe to say that Isaac Redman is 2nd on the depth chart behind Mendenhall? Will he get more touches/game than Mewelde Moore?

Ed Bouchette: I believe they will use Mewelde Moore and Redman in that capacity and maybe mix and match a little, depending on circumstances.

GEvins: Will the Steelers think about taking a look at Tony Hills at Right Tackle to maybe replace Flozell Adams?

Ed Bouchette: I don't know if they will put him there for any practices, but he has done a better job in the first two games at left tackle and is now a threat to make the team where once many had written him off

Steel Curtain Rising: Ed, Mendenhall has averaged 0.4 and then 1.4 yards per carry in two preseason games. Has this raised eye brows with the coaching staff?

Ed Bouchette: No. Jim Brown could not have broken free on a couple of those plays where he was nailed in the backfield when someone missed a block.

Polamalu43: Ed, who are your 9 OL at this point?

Ed Bouchette: Pouncney plus the current starting guards and tackles. Legursky, Foster, Jonathan Scott. The final spot comes down to Hills vs. Hartwig.

axe-skot: Is Dwyer as good as gone?

Ed Bouchette: No, he's as bad as gone.

mbfb1090: Ed, does Ramon Foster have a chance to play RT this year? That is where he played at Tennessee, right?

Ed Bouchette: He played there at Tennessee but he's not playing there in Pittsburgh apparently.

goldsteel: Why not let Grisham return punts or kickoffs? He looks pretty quick from what little I've gotten to see.

Ed Bouchette: Because he wil not be on the team.

Dallas BlackNGold: Hi Ed. I think you're wrong about Sepulveda. The guy can tackle. That provides a tie breaker when you stack him up against Reed.

Ed Bouchette: Yes, he can tackle. They knew that when they drafted him.

carydog: Hey Ed, how is Frank the Tank working out at FB? Think he'll ever be as good as Kreider?

Ed Bouchette: No, he's not in Kreider's league as a lead blocker.

GLASS_REPAIR.SD: Will Tony Hills and Urbik both be cut?

Ed Bouchette: There is little doubt that Urbik will be cut but Hills is making a play for a roster spot.

V-coach: Given Redman's catching and blocking ability, does he replace Moore as third down back?

Ed Bouchette: No, I believe Rashard Mendenhall did that during the second half of last season.

V-coach: How long will the "starters" play this week?

Ed Bouchette: This is normally the game in which they play the entire first half and sometimes into the third quarter.

Hombre De Acero: Ed, now the the Steelers are back to their normal practice routines, might you explain to us lay folk some of the ground rules that reporters like you and Gerry have to work under? How much of what you see can you write about, how much do you have to store away as "background" and how do you draw the distinction between the two?

Ed Bouchette: There are certain ground rules all reporters have while watching practices. Strategy is the big one, such as not writing they practiced the end around all week, things like that.

Polamalu43: Ed, the Steelers drafted OL Scott from Tennessee and he is on PUP, what happens when he returns?

Ed Bouchette: He can stay there the first six weeks of the season and then he has two weeks to practice and they must make a decision -- put him on the roster, release him or put him on IR.

SC Steel: Just for the record what is you prediction for wins and losses this year?

Ed Bouchette: I've bumped it up to 10-6.

jayhawk: What went wrong with Dwyer? Everyone was so high on him even after the mini camps.

Ed Bouchette: It does not appear he could sustain his focus.

Patrick: Ed what did you think of the Giants/Jets new stadium? I live in Jersey and my taxes helped pay for it. Don't you think they could at least be called the Jersey Jets/Giants?

Ed Bouchette: Nice stadium, way, way, way overpriced.

Argentina Steelers Fan: Both you and the fans seem to indicate that Tony Hills has played well in two preseason outings. Might the Steelers make a serviceable back up out of him?

Ed Bouchette: They're trying and so is he.

Steel Curtain Rising: So PG Plus has grown to the point that what you write can cause its own fire storm. I suppose the PG Brian Trust must be pleased.

Ed Bouchette: Yes, I am.

Pete: Hey Ed, I just moved to Boston from Meadville. Are you familiar with any Steeler bars I should be hitting up on Sundays?

Ed Bouchette: I believe you will find that Meadville, being Steelers country, is full of Steelers bars.

Mugato: I saw you took a shot at John Russell's managing the other day and it reminded me, don't you have a Baseball Hall of Fame vote? Did you cover baseball earlier in your career?

Ed Bouchette: A former life, is what it was.

Taz: He moved to Boston. Bostonville Grill up in Saugus, I think, is a pretty good one.

Ed Bouchette: Thanks. Sorry, I gave that a dyslexic read

Chucksberries: Hey Ed, know of any Patriot bars in Pittsburgh?

Ed Bouchette: None.

laura: Why did you bump up your win-loss prediction?

Ed Bouchette: I think I was giving Cincinnati and Baltimore too much credit.

Ed Bouchette: OK, that's it. See you next Tuesday.

jj28west
08-27-2010, 08:24 PM
Am I missing something here or does this guy come across as an arrogant S.OB.? Maybe its part of his act to get some type of reaction? I dont get it, it seems like like the whole experience for him is painful in engaging in his transcript. Sure, you get all types but you do not have to stoop down to their level.

Maybe its me taking this guy too seriously.

hellbanger
08-27-2010, 09:29 PM
Am I missing something here or does this guy come across as an arrogant S.OB.? Maybe its part of his act to get some type of reaction? I dont get it, it seems like like the whole experience for him is painful in engaging in his transcript. Sure, you get all types but you do not have to stoop down to their level.

Maybe its me taking this guy too seriously.

He probably has to read alot of really dumb questions by people. These questions he does print arent exactly intriguing question either. He probably gets irritated. I Find him pretty entertaining and one of the most credible Steelers writer out there.

calmkiller
08-27-2010, 09:55 PM
Ed actually does not enjoy the chats.

The one thing that bothers me about this chat is apparently they reference Gerry dulac reporting that the steelers will only keep 8 lbs and the last spot comes down to Bailey, Gibson, or Sly. Most everything I have seen is everyone expects us to keep all our draft picks at LB.

NJ-STEELER
08-28-2010, 01:58 AM
why would they keep tank instead of that 9 th LB. rambo and gibson show promise.

tank shows that he sucks...dude whiffs on blocks like our secondary drops INTs

mchugh is a better blocker at the FB spot and can also be the 3rd TE

the kid wroght even looks better running the ball

and it would be a lot easier sneaking summers onto the PS then one of the LBs

Stewie
08-28-2010, 08:29 AM
Ed, who are your 9 OL at this point?

Ed Bouchette: Pouncey plus the current starting guards and tackles. Legursky, Foster, Jonathan Scott. The final spot comes down to Hills vs. Hartwig.

He sees Urbik as toast (I concur, who needs a guard that is too slow to pull?), and if it's my decision, Hills stays over Hartwig...and it's not a lose-sleep decision. Legursky would be the b/u center. Why pay Hartwig $2M+ to b/u???

Oviedo
08-28-2010, 08:45 AM
Ed, who are your 9 OL at this point?

Ed Bouchette: Pouncey plus the current starting guards and tackles. Legursky, Foster, Jonathan Scott. The final spot comes down to Hills vs. Hartwig.

He sees Urbik as toast (I concur, who needs a guard that is too slow to pull?), and if it's my decision, Hills stays over Hartwig...and it's not a lose-sleep decision. Legursky would be the b/u center. Why pay Hartwig $2M+ to b/u???

You pay Hartwig because Legursky has never proven he can be a tarting Center in the NFL and if Pouncey goes down you probably want experience there. Hartwig as a starting Center has also prepared for the NTs in the AFC North that Pouncey will face for the first time and can probably better prepare him for that challenge than Legursky who has never played center in a meaningful game.

Not saying it will happen but don't be shocked if Legursky is a surprise cut on the OL. I see them keeping Hills because we are thin at OT and Adams is just a one year solution and nobody has any idea what Colon's status will be between his injury and contract.

calmkiller
08-28-2010, 10:00 AM
IMO Hartwig hasn't really proven he can be a starting Center either. That is why they drafted a center with the number one pick. He gets no push up front. Actually he usually is the in the backfield after the snap. So if Legursky can manage that much why pay Hartwig 2 mill + to do it?

NJ-STEELER
08-28-2010, 11:53 AM
who's the swing back up OT that dresses on gameday if what ed says is true?

a rookie scott? foster?

unless they move essex there , how how is hills not that guy right now?

Stewie
08-28-2010, 12:20 PM
Hills has improved greatly, and he has been a force in the first two ps games; but he only plays LT. Make no mistake, I keep him, but he's not the swing tackle. I think Essex is the swing RT, and then Foster? moves to RG.