PDA

View Full Version : 18 game season - question

rpmpit
08-27-2010, 07:02 AM
Seems like most fans and players are against the longer season. And the biggest reason given is the potential for more injuries. I wonder if there are stats to support this? Do teams that regularly make the playoffs (and therefore play 1 to 4 more games) have a much higher injury rate than teams that normally don't make the playoffs?

proudpittsburgher
08-27-2010, 07:12 AM
Actually, the question I have is what does adding 2 games actually solve int he way of problems? When they make a rules change in the league, it is usually to solve a problem. What problem does adding two games solve, other than putting more money into the NFL's pockets?

rpmpit
08-27-2010, 07:13 AM
Actually, the question I have is what does adding 2 games actually solve int he way of problems? When they make a rules change in the league, it is usually to solve a problem. What problem does adding two games solve, other than putting more money into the NFL's pockets?

Interesting. Like I said yesterday, someone should go back and research the league's decision to go from 14 to 16 games. And see what their reasons were and if there were any negative effects of the change.

Oviedo
08-27-2010, 07:52 AM
Seems like most fans and players are against the longer season. And the biggest reason given is the potential for more injuries. I wonder if there are stats to support this? Do teams that regularly make the playoffs (and therefore play 1 to 4 more games) have a much higher injury rate than teams that normally don't make the playoffs?

From what I hear, at a recent fan forum Goodell got overwhelming support from fans on an 18 game schedule.

Injuries can occur during the first game of the season. I don't think that you will see players dropping like flies because they play two more games. Do the teams that make it to the Super Bowl have rosters devastated by injuries?

What it will require coaches to do is smarter performance management and the use of more reserves over the course of the season. They will need to do things like not use starters on special teams, etc. I would also expect that team roster size will increase and game day rosters will be larger so some players don't have to do double duty.

All in all I think this is a good thing and manageable. All the "concerns" you hear from players are "talking points" put out by the union to establish a negotiating position going into the new CBA discussions. Everything you hear a player say is almost word for word what DeMarccus Smith said on Mike and Mike a couple of months ago.

frankthetank1
08-27-2010, 08:19 AM
injuries are a big issue with the expanded season but the quality of football is just as big of an issue with me. i think we will see the quality of football diluted even more. players will be worn down towards the last few weeks of the season and if the rosters are expanded it will give jobs to players that dont deserve them. how can rosters not be expanded if they go to 18 games?

stlrz d
08-27-2010, 08:33 AM
Ovie - Gotta call BS on you. Everywhere I have gone fans are *overwhelmingly* against this. NFL.com, ESPN.com, twitter, etc. Fans HATE the idea.

Goodell and the owners are twisting what fans are saying to try and get an 18 game schedule. Fans don't like paying *full* price for pre-season games.

The commish and the owners are saying, "Fans don't like pre-season games".

Not quite the same thing, is it? Most fans I know like pre-season games so they can see the new guys who might not see the field much during the regular season.

18 games is BS and I hope the players don't let it happen.

Oviedo
08-27-2010, 09:07 AM
Ovie - Gotta call BS on you. Everywhere I have gone fans are *overwhelmingly* against this. NFL.com, ESPN.com, twitter, etc. Fans HATE the idea.

Goodell and the owners are twisting what fans are saying to try and get an 18 game schedule. Fans don't like paying *full* price for pre-season games.

The commish and the owners are saying, "Fans don't like pre-season games".

Not quite the same thing, is it? Most fans I know like pre-season games so they can see the new guys who might not see the field much during the regular season.

18 games is BS and I hope the players don't let it happen.

It was stated on "the Drive" yesterday afternoon on ESPN 1250. Maybe they are wrong but they specifically cited a fan forum in Philly so they must be looking at something real.

I as a fan don't hate the idea.

phillyesq
08-27-2010, 01:02 PM
As I discussed a bit in the other post, my opposition, more than injuries, was diluting the games. The NFL is awesome because each game is important, and it isn't on all the time. Adding the Thursday night games and the Saturday games takes away a bit from the specialness of Sunday. Now, adding 2 more Sundays is going to dilute things a bit more.

rpmpit
08-27-2010, 01:06 PM
As I discussed a bit in the other post, my opposition, more than injuries, was diluting the games. The NFL is awesome because each game is important, and it isn't on all the time. Adding the Thursday night games and the Saturday games takes away a bit from the specialness of Sunday. Now, adding 2 more Sundays is going to dilute things a bit more.

I hear ya. But let me ask you this...would you go from whatever you're doing now, to having "relations" with your wife/girlfriend, manfriend (NTTAWWT), etc only once a year to make it more special??

For me there are certain things that can't possibly be diluted. Steeler football is probably 2nd on the list :wink:

cruzer8
08-27-2010, 01:46 PM
This is something I absolutely hope the players will not cave on.

birtikidis
08-27-2010, 02:21 PM
Someone made the point earlier, it's not that fans dislike preseason games, and it's not necassarily true that they want more regular season games. what fans dislike is paying full price for a preseason game. most fans would take a regular season game over a preseason game if they had the choice of what to buy.

grotonsteel
08-27-2010, 02:36 PM

I hear ya. But let me ask you this...would you go from whatever you're doing now, to having "relations" with your wife/girlfriend, manfriend (NTTAWWT), etc only once a year to make it more special??

For me there are certain things that can't possibly be diluted. Steeler football is probably 2nd on the list :wink:

Here is my theory:

To play 18 games players are going to make sure they don't go all out every game. So obviously there might be drop in a play/intensity.

Goodell could very well convert NFL to flag football so as to preserve star football players. It not like commish is not converting NFL to Flag Football but process might get triggered.

By making season to 18 games there is a possibility that mediocre teams might just give quite early in season (for them its a long season already)...i mean say by 14th game...so in an 18 game season that are 4 games...18 game season won't make games competitive IMO.

Few team qualifies for playoff early and the coach decides to play back ups for remaining of the season??? What happens then?? In other words we will be seeing preseason games during NFL regular season games. Why should i pay 100 bucks to watch backups play in a regular season.

What happens to play offs??? Steelers qualify for playoffs say in 13th game. What will they do?? Play the starters and risk injury?? Or bench the starters and they come out rusty in playoffs???

We have few of these issue in 16 game season but 18 game season will simply magnify those issues.

Roger Goodell will do better if he understands a basic rule in life:

Supply and Demand,,,,if he has problem grasping it NFL will go the Real Estate way...down.

phillyesq
08-27-2010, 03:02 PM

I'm completely speechless. And after looking at your sig, perhaps a bit confused as well. :lol: :lol:

rpmpit
08-27-2010, 07:47 PM

I'm completely speechless. And after looking at your sig, perhaps a bit confused as well. :lol: :lol:

She's an ex-girlfriend. Dated her in the 60s. I look very young for my age. :lol:

Sugar
08-27-2010, 10:06 PM

From what I hear, at a recent fan forum Goodell got overwhelming support from fans on an 18 game schedule.

Injuries can occur during the first game of the season. I don't think that you will see players dropping like flies because they play two more games. Do the teams that make it to the Super Bowl have rosters devastated by injuries?

What it will require coaches to do is smarter performance management and the use of more reserves over the course of the season. They will need to do things like not use starters on special teams, etc. I would also expect that team roster size will increase and game day rosters will be larger so some players don't have to do double duty.

All in all I think this is a good thing and manageable. All the "concerns" you hear from players are "talking points" put out by the union to establish a negotiating position going into the new CBA discussions. Everything you hear a player say is almost word for word what DeMarccus Smith said on Mike and Mike a couple of months ago.

I'm sorry Mr. Goodell, I still hate the idea. If anything, the season should be shortened.