PDA

View Full Version : Dennis Dixon will finally get first-team reps

hawaiiansteel
08-26-2010, 03:16 PM
Dennis Dixon will finally get first-team reps

Posted by Mike Florio on August 26, 2010

After the Steelers' first preseason game, we argued that quarterback Dennis Dixon deserves a chance to take some reps with the first-team offense, in order to give the team a chance to determine whether Dixon would be a better option than Byron Leftwich as the interim starter during Ben Roethlisberger's suspension.

And we couldn't understand why, given the obviously special skills that Dixon has displayed in two preseason game, the Steelers had predetermined that Leftwich would be the interim starter, with no competition whatsoever. It prompted us to search for an explanation, and we suggested that the Steelers didn't really want Dixon to become a hot commodity in the third year of a three-year rookie contract.

If it's true that Roethlisberger is one more ugly off-field incident away from being cut or traded, the Steelers need to have a competent long-term replacement on hand, in the event that Roethlisberger reverts to his pre-suspension lifestyle. So if the Steelers do with Dixon after the 2010 season what the Falcons did with Matt Schaub after 2006 and if Roethlisberger ends up being unavailable in 2011 like Mike Vick was in 2007, the Steelers would be screwed.

Regardless of whether the Steelers were hoping to keep Dixon on ice long enough to be sure that Roethlisberger can get through a full offseason without being accused of sexual assault, they're now apparently realizing that the potential gap between Dixon and Leftwich is too big to ignore. On Wednesday, coach Mike Tomlin said that Dixon will get first-team reps in the third preseason game, entering the action against the Broncos after Ben Roethlisberger and before Byron Leftwich.

"I intend to give Dennis Dixon some looks with the first group against some good people," Tomlin said, per Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. "I think he's earned that likewise. And that's what this preseason is all about."

We agree completely. And we think it's overdue. And to the extent that the Steelers had hoped to keep the rest of the football-following world from realizing that Dixon has the potential to be a very good NFL quarterback, maybe the Steelers have realized that folks already are figuring it out, so they may as well use him while they still have him.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... team-reps/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/26/dennis-dixon-will-finally-get-first-team-reps/)

SteelHoss
08-26-2010, 03:58 PM
Does anybody know what this guy is talking about? :Hater

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
08-26-2010, 04:41 PM
Florio really is an idiot.

Let me get this straight. The Steelers have three QBs who could potentially start games at some point this season.

First game Lefty ran with the first team.
Second game it was Ben who ran with the first team.
Third game it will be Dixon.

Where is this conspiracy for the injustice of Dixon? Because he goes third?

proudpittsburgher
08-26-2010, 06:08 PM
It only makes sense that he would, at some point, get a look against some first teamers. Florio has once again inserted himself into the story and has somehow taken credit for this. What a dousch. We should send Savern after him and let him start teeing off on him again. If for no other reason than to watch junker stand there too afraid to jump into the discussion.

SteelStallion
08-26-2010, 08:13 PM
I'm just happy he's getting some first team reps. THe other three qb's have extensive starting experience. Dixon does not.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
08-26-2010, 09:44 PM
Rule of life #1047: When in doubt - Florio sucks.

That is all. Thank you!

Crash
08-27-2010, 01:30 AM
Florio wasn't the first to post the anti-Dixon conspiracy.

John Harris of the Trib (Who is black btw) did after one pre-season game.

feltdizz
08-27-2010, 06:39 AM
Here he comes, here comes Speed Racebaiter
He's a demon on wheels
He's a demon and he's gonna be chasing after someone
He's gaining on you so you better look alive
He's busy revving up the powerful Mach Five
And when the odds are against him and there's daaangerous work to do
You bet your life Speed Racerbaiter's gonna see it through

Go Speed Racerbaiter
Go Speed Racerbaiter
Go Speed Racerbaiter Go!

He's off and flying as he guns the car around the track
He's jamming down the pedal like he's never coming back
Adventure's waiting just aheeeeeeeeaaaaad

Go Speed Racerbaiter
Go Speed Racerbaiter
Go Speed Racerbaiter Go!

proudpittsburgher
08-27-2010, 07:14 AM

What does that have to do with anything? Last I checked, Byron Leftwich is a man of color as well.

Oviedo
08-27-2010, 07:44 AM
Florio openly acknowledeges he is a Pittsburgh hater. He doesn't hesitate to try to cast anything the team does in a negative light. Pretty much anything he writes should be on a roll next to your toilet.

stlrz d
08-27-2010, 08:27 AM
Florio openly acknowledeges he is a Pittsburgh hater. He doesn't hesitate to try to cast anything the team does in a negative light. Pretty much anything he writes should be on a roll next to your toilet.

What's funny is before he took a beat down from Stan he talked about how he's from right outside of Pittsburgh.

Jooser
08-27-2010, 09:09 AM
Floracio is an editorialist (if that even), not a journalist. He simply scours the web for news and posts it with his own 2 cents thrown in. Ignore him, he sucks anyways.

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/Zumiez64/DOUCHEBAG.jpg

(FLORIO)

feltdizz
08-27-2010, 09:51 AM

What does that have to do with anything? Last I checked, Byron Leftwich is a man of color as well.

Florio's white too btw! :stirpot

hawaiiansteel
08-27-2010, 08:11 PM
Tomlin may not reveal Week One starter until gametime

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on August 27, 2010

Dennis Dixon gets his chance to play with the Steelers first team this weekend. If he performs well enough, he figures to have a fighting chance to open the season against the Falcons as the Steelers' starting quarterback.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin doesn't sound like he's in a hurry to declare anything.

"It's probably beneficial to us to hold our cards," Tomlin said. "I know coach [Mike] Smith does an awesome down in Atlanta, I've got a great deal of respect for him. I would imagine it would be increasingly difficult for him to prepare to play us if we don't provide that information for him."

It's difficult to keep the identity of a starting quarterback secret through a full week of practice, but Tomlin may as well try. If we had to guess, both Dixon and Byron Leftwich will probably see action against Atlanta anyhow.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -gametime/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/27/tomlin-may-not-reveal-week-one-starter-until-gametime/)

Crash
08-28-2010, 11:36 AM

I guarantee that if Dixon were to start, and even go 2-2 and they insert Ben? Harris' next article will be how they are holding back a "young promising black quarterback" and instead are playing Ben despite his alleged past.

He hinted at it when he first wrote his article, but he didn't come out and say it.

hawaiiansteel
08-28-2010, 03:37 PM

I guarantee that if Dixon were to start, and even go 2-2 and they insert Ben? Harris' next article will be how they are holding back a "young promising black quarterback" and instead are playing Ben despite his alleged past.

He hinted at it when he first wrote his article, but he didn't come out and say it.

and if Harris were to come out and say that he would look like a racist himself...

feltdizz
08-28-2010, 05:16 PM

There was a time not too long ago where you said if the fans were still sour on Ben and Dixon went 3-1 or 4-0 Ben would/could find himself on the trading block. :stirpot

Harris didn't come right out and say it..... but you know it's what he wanted to say because???? :?

Captain Lemming
08-28-2010, 10:38 PM

Are you talking about "this" quote:

"The Steelers don't know what they have in Dixon, who performed well in his only NFL start at Baltimore last season but lost 20-17 in overtime. At this rate, they might never find out. However, if Dixon opened the season 4-0, his potential as a young quarterback could spark some debate about the Steelers allowing the kid to continue playing.

The Steelers' strategy to limit Dixon's reps with the first team is a safe move, but that doesn't mean it's the right one."

Look closely Crash. The "some debate" he talks about is not expressed as being "HIS" opinion. He says there could be be a debate if Dixon does well. Guess what? Who around here says the EXACT SAME THING?

YOU CRASH.

His opinion is that fear of a debate should not keep the team from giving Dixon a chance against Leftwich. Dixon versus Leftwich (not Ben) is all the article is about.

Dont believe me?

Next Harris article:

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 95163.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_695163.html)

"First things first. Whoever begins the season under center has no bearing on Ben Roethlisberger's role as the franchise quarterback. It's Roethlisberger's team. You don't sit talent and money. Roethlisberger has plenty of both."

This is expressed as HIS opinion Crash. Contrary to what you just said.

HARRIS SAID HE BELIEVES THIS IS BENS TEAM NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS.