PDA

View Full Version : Trade possibilities

StarSpangledSteeler
08-26-2010, 03:16 PM
As we look to trim our roster down to 53, this year in particular, there will be at least three difficult cuts. By that I mean players who many posters on this board expect and/or want to make the team.

The question that entered my mind is which (if any) would have trade value to teams in dire need. For example, Minnesota just lost Rice for half the year. Rather than wait for WR's to appear on the waiver wire cuts, they went out and traded for that kid from Miami (i think). If we're going to cut some of our guys that we have under contract anyway, why not look to get some minimal value. I'm talking about a 6th or 7th round pick. Like when we picked up Leftwich. Or when we dumped Mahan.

What do you guys think the trade value might be for the following players?

1) Logan. He may be one dimensional but he is a solid to good return man. Someone out there has got to be in need. I think we spent a 7th on Rossum a couple years ago.

2) Hartwig. I know, I know. He sucks. But he was the starting center on a recent Super Bowl winning OL. And some teams may not fully realize how bad he is. Dallas was probably saying the same thing about Flozell before we gobbled him up.

3) Foote. Again, I know he is not a highly sought after commodity, but he is a Super Bowl winning LB on a top rated defense. And the Lions paid a nice little chunk to lock him up last year.

4) Harris/Eason. It's highly possible one of these two guys is gone. They're both young enough to have some potential, yet they also both carry some experience and could start in a pinch.

Even if we only picked up two 7th rounders for two of them, that's better than nothing.

SteelHoss
08-26-2010, 03:48 PM
As we look to trim our roster down to 53, this year in particular, there will be at least three difficult cuts. By that I mean players who many posters on this board expect and/or want to make the team.

The question that entered my mind is which (if any) would have trade value to teams in dire need. For example, Minnesota just lost Rice for half the year. Rather than wait for WR's to appear on the waiver wire cuts, they went out and traded for that kid from Miami (i think). If we're going to cut some of our guys that we have under contract anyway, why not look to get some minimal value. I'm talking about a 6th or 7th round pick. Like when we picked up Leftwich. Or when we dumped Mahan.

1) Logan. He may be one dimensional but he is a solid to good return man. Someone out there has got to be in need. I think we spent a 7th on Rossum a couple years ago.

2) Hartwig. I know, I know. He sucks. But he was the starting center on a recent Super Bowl winning OL. And some teams may not fully realize how bad he is. Dallas was probably saying the same thing about Flozell before we gobbled him up.

3) Foote. Again, I know he is not a highly sought after commodity, but he is a Super Bowl winning LB on a top rated defense. And the Lions paid a nice little chunk to lock him up last year.

4) Harris/Eason. It's highly possible one of these two guys is gone. They're both young enough to have some potential, yet they also both carry some experience and could start in a pinch.

Even if we only picked up two 7th rounders for two of them, that's better than nothing.

We just got Foote back and you are ready to trade him already? Im not following you on this one. I'm thinking his play on the field even without playing every snap gives us an good advantage. Thats not to mention the depth at position, his leadership and his presence in the locker room. :?:

BradshawsHairdresser
08-26-2010, 04:35 PM
I've got to think the trade value of the players you mentioned would have to be pretty small right now...teams are going to be willing to wait and see who's available after all the teams cut down their rosters.

steelblood
08-26-2010, 05:20 PM
With all of the 3-4 teams out there, we may be able to get something for Harris or Eason. But, I'd really like to keep them both and try to hide Worthington on the PS.

ramblinjim
08-26-2010, 05:40 PM
I'm of the opinion that Foote is our Farrior insurance policy this year so I'd be willing to bet we don't do anything with him.

The other guys?

I see where you are coming from and if a team dangled some 2011 picks out there for some of them I'd certainly consider it but I would figure that other teams will just wait to see what the waiver wire looks like.

aggiebones
08-27-2010, 05:24 PM
A team who maybe just had their Center get hurt, could possibly look at Hartwig, but the rest are unlikely.
Foote would be non2pleased if we sign and trade him.
Logan no value
If we got a 7th rounder for anything, I'd be surprised.

AngryAsian
08-27-2010, 05:31 PM
If Potsie doesn't retire and Woodley goes bye bye after this season. Timmons would most likely be moved to the outside, thus leaving a depth void in the middle. Foote is younger than Potsie and so he's more viable. The others I can live without, but I think we'll be needing Foote's services for another two seasons, until we know what happens to Woodley....

The thing that scares me the most? Come Timmons' contract time, who we have to deal with in terms of agent. :shock:

Shawn
08-27-2010, 06:18 PM
If Potsie doesn't retire and Woodley goes bye bye after this season. Timmons would most likely be moved to the outside, thus leaving a depth void in the middle. Foote is younger than Potsie and so he's more viable. The others I can live without, but I think we'll be needing Foote's services for another two seasons, until we know what happens to Woodley....

The thing that scares me the most? Come Timmons' contract time, who we have to deal with in terms of agent. :shock:

I agree but I think Fox could fill in nicely as well.

JPbucco
08-28-2010, 04:04 AM
Woodley.Is.Not.Going.Anywhere.

Lonbull
08-28-2010, 06:59 PM

1) Logan. He may be one dimensional but he is a solid to good return man. Someone out there has got to be in need. I think we spent a 7th on Rossum a couple years ago..

0 trade value - He's not a young guy, and most teams will probably try to keep young WR's / Running Backs that are on the bubble - and also provide depth somewhere else. Besides the team who needs Logan the most right now....is us.

Very little chance of a trade - Hartwigs contract may come into play here. Unless a contending team loses their starting Center - I think teams would be more interested in Legursky - who is younger and is earning a tenth of what we're paying Hartwig.

None - he's a solid linebacker, but he's a dime a dozen in the NFL. He's just a Steeler because he knows our system.

Eason - is thirty and has never been more than a back-up DE - I don't think he has any trade value - teams will want to give younger guys a shot.

Harris - No trade value here - he's young, but he has very little playing experience and he was orginally a 6th rounder.

Also the problem here - is that we have two guys available - so if any intelligent teams wait they know we'll have to drop at least one of them.

Why pay for any of these guys when they'll most likely be available?

I also think that getting low draft picks 7th and 6th rounders isn't always a good thing. Only teams that have killed their former salary cap, or are bottom dwellers who need time to rebuild get much playing time out of these picks - and these picks don't have much trading value - I mean it's not like two 6th round picks give you a 3rd rounder.....when we reach a rebuilding stage, it's a different story - but I don't believe we're there yet.

L.B.

L.B.

PSU_dropout43
08-29-2010, 03:46 PM
I'd trade Chris Kemoeatu to Dallas for Tashard Choice or TE M. Bennett.