PDA

View Full Version : The 18 game season.

Stewie
08-26-2010, 11:23 AM
I think that it will reduce the quality of play and the value of each game. With only 2 PS games, it will be harder for younger players to show their stuff. Attrition will be increased, and each game will be worth 1/18th of a season instead of 1/16th.

phillyesq
08-26-2010, 11:30 AM
I'm not a fan of the 18 game season. Part of what makes football so popular is how little of it there is - just 16 games. It used to just be Sunday and Monday night. Part of me likes having more football to watch, but I feel like Thursday night, and the Saturday games later, all water things down a bit. The 18 game season will continue to water things down.

I'm also worried about the quality of play towards the end of the season - injuries catch up with a lot of teams now by week 17 - imagine the injury lists in week 19.

steelblood
08-26-2010, 11:34 AM
The season is long enough.

Virtually ever record will be broken in a couple of years. And they'll all deserve an asterisk.

grotonsteel
08-26-2010, 11:42 AM
Greed i would say. One big reason owners bent to Goodell. Really a sad thing.

Players struggle to keep themselves fit in a 16 game season. This will decline quality of play in regular season/playoffs.

Its like killing the golden goose.

Sugar
08-26-2010, 11:55 AM
I'm agreeing with all of you so far. The players don't like the idea for the very real reason that they are the ones who will live with the literal impact that this puts on their bodies.

While I love football, I would rather them actually decrease the season to 15 games than increase it to 18.

rpmpit
08-26-2010, 11:58 AM
How can more football be bad?? And I'm thinking that fans and players were having many of the same concerns as you guys/gals when they moved up to 16 from 14.

Steelskin
08-26-2010, 12:12 PM
I'm not a proponent of the 18 game season, but what if the pre-season was shortened to 2 games (or eliminated entirely in favor of scrimmages) and teams played every other week instead of every week?

This would offer several benefits:

-Players have more time to rest and recover from any accrued injuries

-Players will have both more time to practice and more time with their families

-Coaches have more time to plan for upcoming games

-Teams are given more time to travel from stadium-to-stadium

-The need for a then-useless bye week is eliminated

-The football season would be extended, increasing cash flow and fan interest

The only con is that the off-season is shortened, but most of the activity seems to be pretty concentrated; there are times when absolutely nothing occurs in the football world.

Another idea would be to schedule games every week, but each team only plays every other week. What I mean is that there are 8 games per week (in the regular season), every week, for 32 weeks. This would require a complex scheduling system, but it could be done.

It just seems like this could be a way that would benefit the players, coaches, fans and ESPECIALLY the NFL.

grotonsteel
08-26-2010, 12:23 PM
32 weeks NFL season?? I think it will be way too long. People will definitely lose interest.

Atleast i ain't gonna wait 2 weeks for a Steelers game.

ikestops85
08-26-2010, 12:33 PM
32 weeks NFL season?? I think it will be way too long. People will definitely lose interest.

Atleast i ain't gonna wait 2 weeks for a Steelers game.

Yes you will ... just like the rest of us would :moon
:lol:

Ghost
08-26-2010, 12:52 PM
ESPN radio had clips from two players yesterday about this. Carlson Palmer said he hadn't spoken to a single player on mutiple teams that didn't hate the idea of adding 2 games. Matt Ryan also said the palyers don't want it and he was very concerned that having 18 games meant the games would mean less. A couple of early losses would be easier to overcome.

Someone else on ESPN stated this was a huge deal for the owners and a leading issue for a lock out.

Knowing serious injury can happen on any play, adding 30 to 40 snaps for two more games really is a lot of opportunity for a star player to get injured.

And what if a team has it locked up with 4 or 5 games to go - those last games become not much more than exhibition games.

Notleadpoisoned
08-26-2010, 01:21 PM
How can more football be bad?.
I'd actually like to see the NFL play year-round. After the Super Bowl the league could hold the draft then the following weekend they could begin a whole new season. If MLB can have a 9 month season I see no reason why the NFL couldn't sustain itself for 12 months a year.

MCHammer
08-26-2010, 01:58 PM
It's interesting how little fan support this idea seems to have. I'm sure most of us would love more football, but it probably is not the best thing for the players or sport.

I'm picturing losing Ben or Troy in game 17 so that the NFL can make more money. They'll probably also eventually get around to softening the game up even more in order to protect players, making the game less enjoyable than it already is with all that patty-cake calls if you touch a qb, etc.

Sugar
08-26-2010, 02:44 PM
Between amateur ball (HS, College) and the various "pro" teams (arean, CFL, etc) and the NFL there is plenty of football out there now.

I really hate the idea of an 18 game season. I think the current season is too long, but manageable. The NFL is supposed to be the crowning jewel of American-style Football. Adding games doesn't make it more special, it makes every game that much less special and increases chances of injury to these players.

At the end of the day, I think this is a negotiating ploy by Goodell for labor talks. He knows that the players won't want it so he can use it as a bargaining chip to get something he really wants.

papillon
08-26-2010, 02:54 PM
The pre-season games would simply be added to the end of the year rather than the beginning. The final 3-4 games for 2/3 of the teams would be meaningless pre-season type games where players would be trying to fulfill their bonus incentives.

Pappy

birtikidis
08-26-2010, 04:10 PM
It's interesting how little fan support this idea seems to have. I'm sure most of us would love more football, but it probably is not the best thing for the players or sport.

I'm picturing losing Ben or Troy in game 17 so that the NFL can make more money. They'll probably also eventually get around to softening the game up even more in order to protect players, making the game less enjoyable than it already is with all that patty-cake calls if you touch a qb, etc.
what's REALLY interesting is that there isn't much support ANYWHERE yet the Commish makes it sound like EVERYONE is for it.

Steelerphile
08-26-2010, 04:14 PM
However Goddell got elected, someone needs to do a recall or a coup of his throne before he pusshes this through. It is a terrible idea that none of the coaches or players wants and he is using everything in his power to push it through.

eniparadoxgma
08-26-2010, 04:32 PM
The season is long enough.

Virtually ever record will be broken in a couple of years. And they'll all deserve an asterisk.

:Agree

Sugar
08-26-2010, 04:43 PM
However Goddell got elected, someone needs to do a recall or a coup of his throne before he pusshes this through. It is a terrible idea that none of the coaches or players wants and he is using everything in his power to push it through.

I'm wondering what genius asked for this? Did Goodell think of this himself or was it somebody else?

BTW- A RB would only have to average 56 yards a game to have a 1,000 season. :HeadBanger

cruzer8
08-26-2010, 05:21 PM
So far I have yet to see one player who hasn't said this will result in more injuries.

Owners want this. Networks want it. Players don't. Fans don't.

pepsyman1
08-26-2010, 05:35 PM
What I really love is how Goodell loves to claim how badly fans hate the preseason games and that's some of his reasoning for pushing for more regular season games. The reality is that fans hate paying FULL PRICE for preseason games as if they are regular season games. Especially season ticket holders who are given no choice but to have to cough up the money for games that are meaningless... It's a vicious cycle anymore between player salaries, the push to raise salary caps, PSL's, the cost of tickets. I think the fans would be more than happy with keeping things the same but reduce the cost of the preseason games to the point that a much larger amount of fans would turn out. The increased turnout and concession sales would offset the lost revenue from cheaper tickets and we wouldn't have to worry about extending the season to create more revenue.

ramblinjim
08-26-2010, 05:37 PM
the beauty of the NFL is that you can never get enough. You make the season two games longer and people will start to "get enough" so to speak.

As it is, you have the draft, then rookie camp, summer OTA's, four pre-season games, the regular season and four weeks of playoffs. So, you have 26 weeks of actual football counting the pre-season. You're looking at half the year anyway and the half of the year that there is very little football news has ALL OF US clamoring, begging for it (and hoping none of our beloved Steelers does anything dumb).

I think they should do a better job of putting together a developmental league of some sort, for smaller markets, like minor league baseball. Most minor league baseball players never sniff the big leagues, most minor league football players wouldn't either. But if they could be called up for a game or two b/c of injury, etc it could be a good thing. Or they could expand the rosters a bit.

But I digress, 18 games is too many. The Market for the NFL as of right now is about as good as it gets IMHO.

BURGH86STEEL
08-26-2010, 06:18 PM
I believe this all boils down to money/greed. It's ironic that the owners want the players to take less money and then attempt to extend the season. I don't think that is going to fly over well with a lot of players.

The increased risk of injury is the biggest reason why I am against an 18 game sched.

NJ-STEELER
08-26-2010, 09:39 PM
i'm not for it

but i think we make the playoffs if there were 18 games last year

Ghost
08-27-2010, 08:31 AM
I know its popular to bash Goodell but it is the Owners who want this and are really pushing for it. More $$: gate receipts and consessions, TV contracts and advertising.

It's Goodell's job to use smoke and mirrors to convince everyone this is the best course of action even if he doesn't believe it. That's what he is doing.

The owners could be using this as leverage to change the current 59%-41% revenue split in favor of the players. They tell the players they can keep the split percentages but they have to play 2 more games. Or the agree to not push for 2 more games but the players agree to a more equitable over all revenue split, cloers to 50-50.

It makes me sad but this time next August I think we'll be discussing when or even if the season will start :cry:

grotonsteel
08-27-2010, 02:42 PM
Just a conspiracy Theory:

Are owners pushing 18 game season so that they can play more games in London or outside USA and tap the money resource outside US?

Ghost
08-27-2010, 03:12 PM
Just a conspiracy Theory:

Are owners pushing 18 game season so that they can play more games in London or outside USA and tap the money resource outside US?

Throw in an extra bye week and you've got a lot more opportunity to send teams to Europe. I don't think you have a conspiracy theory at all.

fezziwig
08-27-2010, 03:56 PM
I live for NFL football but, 18 games waters down the quality of the game. I want to know that traveling into the playoffs the best playes are playing the game. No backups to an injured star that got them so far. I realize injuries happen but now when you want your first string player to put their stamp upon the playoffs, they might be watching the game from home with their butt in a cast.

It's either greed or a bargain chip for the owners or both.