PDA

View Full Version : Ben fine with Cowhers comments

SteelCrazy
08-25-2010, 10:13 PM
Ben Roethlisberger hopes to play Sunday night in Denver, expects to hear from NFL commissioner Roger Goodell soon about his conditional suspension and has no problem with recent comments made by former Steelers coach Bill Cowher.

Cowher told the Associated Press in an interview earlier this week that Roethlisberger had been hard to reach in regard to his-off-the-field behavior during the latter’s first three years in the league. Cowher, who told AP that he believes Roethlisberger is a good person, likened it to a child not always listening to his or her parents and having to learn something the hard way.

“Any time a Hall of Fame coach kind of gives that fatherly advice, it’s an honor that he sees you in that light,” Roethlisberger said Wednesday after practice. “I think it’s a good thing.”

Roethlisberger reached out to Cowher during a tumultuous offseason that resulted in a four-to-six game suspension for violating the NFL’s personal conduct policy and led the youngest quarterback to win a Super Bowl to do some serious soul searching.

On how his once uneasy relationship with Cowher has evolved, Roethlisberger said, “It’s gone from being a rookie quarterback and a coach that’s been around for a long time to a guy that I can talk to in an almost fatherly relationship if you will. It’s probably a little easier for both of us to have that relationship.”

Roethlisberger has so far made good on his vow to change, and Goodell during a visit to Steelers training camp earlier this month said Roethlisberger has done everything asked of him and more.

It is all but certain that Roethlisberger will serve the minimum of the conditional suspension Goodell handed down in April. During his stop at St. Vincent College, Goodell said he would meet with Roethlisberger near the end of the preseason.

“I would assume it will be soon,” Roethlisberger said. “We’ve been in contact and I’m not really sure (when they will meet), it’s still on his timetable.”

Roethlisberger said he hasn’t been told whether or not he will play Sunday night against the Broncos. The Steelers may sit him and play Byron Leftwich, the presumptive starter while Roethlisberger is suspended, for the entire first half.

Roethlisberger said there is a benefit to his playing in preseason games even though he will miss the first month of the regular season.

“Just getting reps, getting used to taking snaps with (center Maurkice) Pouncey, (playing) with young guys, guys I’m not used to,” he said. “It’s good to be able to get reps with some of the younger guys and just getting familiar with B.A. (Bruce Arians), the play calling, things like that so I think it’s a big help.”

However much or how little he plays in the Steelers’ final two preseason games, Roethlisberger said, “I’ll be ready when my time is, whenever that is.”

http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the- ... ox+Blog%29 (http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the-press-box/2010/08/25/big-ben-fine-with-cowher-comments/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+triblive%2Fblog%2FViewFromThe PressBox+%28View+from+the+Press+Box+Blog%29)