PDA

View Full Version : Sepulveda vs. Reed - KOs

phillyesq
08-25-2010, 03:57 PM
Steelersdepot (quickly becoming one of my favorite blogs) did a breakdown of both Sepulveda's KOs and Reed's KOs. Here are the results:

Sepulveda:
Kick #1 - 4.10 seconds - 5 yard line
Kick #2 - 3.86 seconds - 13 yard line (immediately following penalty)
Kick #3 - 3.81 seconds - 11 yard line
Kick #4 - 3.87 seconds - 1 yard deep end zone
Kick #5 - 3.90 seconds - 4 yard line

Avg: 3.91; 6.4 yard line

Reed:
Kick #1 - 3.70 seconds - 9 yard line
Kick #2 - 3.72 seconds - end zone
Kick #3 - 3.94 seconds - 2 yard line
Kick #4 - 3.96 seconds - 12 yard line
Kick #5 - 3.82 seconds - 12 yard line
Kick #6 - 3.86 seconds - 6 yard line

Avg: 3.83; 6.8 yard line (note: I was unclear how far kick #2 went into the endzone, so I treated it as though it touched the goalline; if it was deeper, obviously, that will improve Reed's average).

Bottom line: Sepulveda's averages are slightly better, but this is a very small sample size. I'd be ok with giving him another shot. First, he isn't as experienced kicking off, and there is the chance he could improve. Second, he is fast and can hit hard - an asset to the problematic coverage units. However, it doesn't look like he'll step in immediately and improve the KO situation.

I was unable to find the average hang time for an NFL kickoff - if anybody knows, that would give some depth to the analysis.

Shawn
08-25-2010, 04:12 PM
Even if they are dead even you keep Sep in for KOs. It's like having another linebacker on the field for STs. We seen last game how important that could be.

Sugar
08-25-2010, 04:18 PM
Even if they are dead even you keep Sep in for KOs. It's like having another linebacker on the field for STs. We seen last game how important that could be.

:Agree

Yeah, I thing it's huge having a guy in there who will actually try to hit somebody and do it with proper form. Just think, there's a possibility the Steelers would have made the playoffs last year had Sep been kicking. :shock:

birtikidis
08-25-2010, 04:35 PM
I really would like to see the difference in hang times. that to me is the most important aspect.

Steelskin
08-25-2010, 04:51 PM
I'm not an NFL player and I'm not saying it's easy, but the concept of kickoffs seems pretty elementary; it's not like learning the free safety position.

That said, I think we could go into the season trying one and if need be, we could swap the other in--essentially what we've done in pre-season.

As you noted, Sepulveda has been superior thus far, so I'd like to see him get the first crack. His special teams value (as another mentioned) is also appealing.

The two aren't THAT different based on your statistics, so it'd be hard to imagine that the impact would differ greatly either way, but you always want to have the guys that can do their job the best on the field; give Sep a shot.

Flasteel
08-25-2010, 05:15 PM
Sepulveda's tackle the other night showed me everything I need to see. His slightly better distance and hang time are simply bonus material.

skyhawk
08-25-2010, 06:12 PM
Sepulveda's tackle the other night showed me everything I need to see. His slightly better distance and hang time are simply bonus material.

:Agree

I was laughing at the announcer that said the returner should be embarrassed that he got caught and tackled by a punter. How obviously didn't know that Sep is a beast and was recruited to play LB for Baylor until their kicker got hurt.

steelblood
08-25-2010, 08:02 PM
Sep's tackle was even more impressive because he was very obviously being held as well. I couldn't believe that wasn't called.

skyhawk
08-25-2010, 08:48 PM
Sep's tackle was even more impressive because he was very obviously being held as well. I couldn't believe that wasn't called.

Oh yeah, you're right, he was.

frankthetank1
08-26-2010, 09:39 AM

you dont think reed would of made that tackle lol? i agree i think sepulveda should be kicking off. i think he is already my favorite punter of all time, but that isnt saying a whole lot

Ghost
08-26-2010, 01:06 PM
It is ridiculous that the kicker having to make a tackle could be the deciding factor for who kicks off. That's an embarrasment to the ST players and the ST coach. Kick the damn thing into the endzone to limit returns or put guys on the field that can actually get down the field and make tackles.

We're all going to be bummed if Sep gets hurt because he was making a tackle.

And with Reed wanting a new contract for big $$; he should have been working out this entire off season to add yardage to his kick offs.

StarSpangledSteeler
08-26-2010, 03:14 PM
It is ridiculous that the kicker having to make a tackle could be the deciding factor for who kicks off. That's an embarrasment to the ST players and the ST coach. Kick the damn thing into the endzone to limit returns or put guys on the field that can actually get down the field and make tackles.

And with Reed wanting a new contract for big $$; he should have been working out this entire off season to add yardage to his kick offs.

Agreed on all counts.

Steelerphile
08-26-2010, 09:16 PM

The kicker doesn't lead the charge down the field. He's not going to lead the special teams units in tackles, but there are absolutely going to times when the kicker is needed to make a play and it's silly to keep stating that everybody else needs to do it because there will still be times when the kicker is needed to make a play.

Sep isn't going to get hurt making a few special teams tackles. Reed wouldn't get hurt making a few special teams tackles if he only tried to do it. But he didn't and he has his defenders who think that's right Reed, you don't need to make no tackle.

Well he only hurt himself, but now they're looking elsewhere for a kickoff man and rightfully so.

focosteeler
08-27-2010, 06:34 PM
Steelersdepot (quickly becoming one of my favorite blogs) did a breakdown of both Sepulveda's KOs and Reed's KOs. Here are the results:

Sepulveda:
Kick #1 - 4.10 seconds - 5 yard line
Kick #2 - 3.86 seconds - 13 yard line (immediately following penalty)
Kick #3 - 3.81 seconds - 11 yard line
Kick #4 - 3.87 seconds - 1 yard deep end zone
Kick #5 - 3.90 seconds - 4 yard line

Avg: 3.91; 6.4 yard line

Reed:
Kick #1 - 3.70 seconds - 9 yard line
Kick #2 - 3.72 seconds - end zone
Kick #3 - 3.94 seconds - 2 yard line
Kick #4 - 3.96 seconds - 12 yard line
Kick #5 - 3.82 seconds - 12 yard line
Kick #6 - 3.86 seconds - 6 yard line

Avg: 3.83; 6.8 yard line (note: I was unclear how far kick #2 went into the endzone, so I treated it as though it touched the goalline; if it was deeper, obviously, that will improve Reed's average).

Bottom line: Sepulveda's averages are slightly better, but this is a very small sample size. I'd be ok with giving him another shot. First, he isn't as experienced kicking off, and there is the chance he could improve. Second, he is fast and can hit hard - an asset to the problematic coverage units. However, it doesn't look like he'll step in immediately and improve the KO situation.

I was unable to find the average hang time for an NFL kickoff - if anybody knows, that would give some depth to the analysis.

i kicked for 3 years in college a couple of years ago and what the coaches wanted was minimum 4.05 seconds and nothing shorter than the 5 yard line... that was at UW so i would think that pro level should be slightly more on each....this week should be a good comparison, matt prater the broncos kicker bombs them, im guessing he gets around 4.25 or more on most of his kicks.