PDA

View Full Version : Johnson and Parker Could be Cut - Any Interest?

phillyesq
08-24-2010, 12:55 PM
Kind of a slow news day today, and I thought this might be a fun way to :stirpot :stirpot :stirpot

If the Steelers do bring in a veteran facing a cut, I'd prefer Ward over either of these two.

Larry Johnson and Willie Parker could both get cut
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on August 24, 2010 12:04 PM ET
Use up all your jokes about the Redskins backfield while you can, because the 2005 fantasy football All Stars may get broken up before the season even starts.

We've said all offseason that Willie Parker had an uphill battle to make the roster. Now Jason Reid of the Washington Post writes that it "wouldn't be shocking" if Larry Johnson and Parker were both cut. Parker also could possibly pass Johnson with a strong preseason effort this weekend.

Johnson's biggest issue, other than the fact Herm Edwards broke him years ago, remains in pass protection. L.J. "performed woefully" in blitz pickup in his extended work against the Ravens Saturday. (He also rushed eight times for four yards and dropped a pass.)

Reid credits a source that the Redskins have been concerned about their backfield depth even before camp. The team could choose to keep Ryan Torain and Keiland Williams as backups, and possibly look to the waiver wire to fill the backup job behind Clinton Portis.

Parker and Johnson received relatively small signing bonuses totaling $300,000, so cutting them wouldn't be that painful financially.

Sugar
08-24-2010, 01:00 PM
I really can't imagine Willie even wanting to come back. Even though I view RB to be a thin position for us, he just doesn't seem to have a place here.

LJ? Nope.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
08-24-2010, 01:07 PM
All of a sudden there's a strong market for RBs ... hopefully we'll be in good position at there this season (Mendy/Moore/Red Man/...?

RuthlessBurgher
08-24-2010, 01:08 PM
I think the RB with the most promise in Washington could be Ryan Torain.

Steelers>NFL
08-24-2010, 01:40 PM
Pass on both...

cruzer8
08-24-2010, 01:55 PM
The Steelers have already stated they are not interested in bringing Parker back. And Parker has expressed that the feeling is mutual.

Oviedo
08-24-2010, 02:30 PM
As mentuoned by Chadman I would seriously consider Derrick Ward as a legit #2 if he is released by Tampa.

ramblinjim
08-24-2010, 02:43 PM
And isn't Johnson a real horses butt? I pass on both.

Oviedo
08-24-2010, 02:50 PM

That's what evryone thought about Cedric Benson until the Bumgals got him last year. Also Ricky Williams but he is now solid in Miami.

ramblinjim
08-24-2010, 02:55 PM
Cedric and Rickey both had one last opportunity to make some cash and it may have finally sunk in for both of them. I'm certainly not opposed to seeing talented guys finally get it right.

Larry's had his payday though, perhaps he's just milking it at this point.

williar
08-24-2010, 04:22 PM
I'd be tempted to look at Johnson. One thing about Johnson is I think in his heart of hearts he always wanted to be a steeler. With that said, I think he would give us an honest effort. I feel we need another strong, play making RB to complete us. I am not comfortable with our depth if Mendy went down for a few games. I think there are going to be a lot of good backs to be considered in the cut down days to come. A lot of people seem to be satisfied with Summers grabbing that last spot. I am not one of them. I couldn't believe he made the team last season, and he looks a little better this time around, but not that much....

hawaiiansteel
08-24-2010, 04:49 PM
here's our RB depth problem solved right here:

Tue Aug 24

Maurice Clarett hopes to run again, this time in the UFL

By MJD

http://a323.yahoofs.com/ymg/ept_sports_nfl_experts__25/ept_sports_nfl_experts-483855756-1282663234.jpg?ymDdXqDD3XmNxBnF

We here at Shutdown Corner will always love a good comeback story. The longer the odds against someone, the more heartwarming it is if they can fight their way back.

With that in mind, a comeback after being arrested with an assault rifle, three handguns, a bulletproof vest, a bottle of Grey Goose and a hatchet might set some kind of record for longest odds on a comeback. You get to a place that dark in your life, and I'm sorry, but I can't have a ton of faith in you being a productive professional athlete -- or even a productive member of society -- ever again.

But still, Maurice Clarett's trying to find a way. He did his three-and-a-half years in the pokey, and he wants to be a professional running back again. He'd like to go the UFL route. And the UFL's Omaha Nighthawks are interested in him, too.

"Maurice Clarett has paid his debt to society and through recent conversations with Maurice, his lawyer and his family, we believe he is sincerely working at turning his life around," Nighthawks G.M. Rick Mueller said. "Because we believe everyone deserves a second chance, and because Maurice wants to see whether he can still play the game he loves, we've agreed to work Maurice out as soon as the Ohio courts allow. There are no commitments other than we want to help him take positive steps towards being the good citizen and solid family man that he aspires to be."

Fantastic. But what does Clarett have left in the tank? Well, his attorney has an opinion, but keep in mind, of course, that he's a bit biased and that attorneys aren't professional football scouts.

"Since he re-enrolled in summer-quarter classes at Ohio State, he's been going to school and also working out each morning at the Woody Hayes Athletic Center," [Clarett's attorney Michael] Hoague said. "He looks really good."

Clarett needs to get permission from a judge to leave the state of Ohio and head to Omaha for a tryout. If the judge will grant it, Clarett will get the chance to battle Ahman Green(notes), Shaud Williams(notes) and D.D. Terry(notes) for the chance to take handoffs from Jeff Garcia(notes) this season.

My hope is that, professional football career or not, Clarett's life is turned around and that he can live a healthy, happy life. As for football? I wouldn't say I'm optimistic; not after the guy spent three-and-a-half years eating prison food. Then again, this is the same guy who convinced the Broncos to draft him while existing on a diet of Grey Goose, so who knows? Miracles can happen.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdo ... nfl-264747 (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Maurice-Clarett-hopes-to-run-again-this-time-in?urn=nfl-264747)

steelsun7
08-24-2010, 04:59 PM
I think the RB with the most promise in Washington could be Ryan Torain.

He's a Sun Devil man!!!
All Torain!

SteelBucks
08-24-2010, 05:55 PM

Johnson's been arrested four times for assault and battery of women. For all the things that happened this off-season, I think it's safe to say the Rooney's would not be interested.

BURGH86STEEL
08-24-2010, 06:12 PM
I don't think the Steelers would look at either player unless a RB is injured.

feltdizz
08-24-2010, 07:03 PM

Johnson's been arrested four times for assault and battery of women. For all the things that happened this off-season, I think it's safe to say the Rooney's would not be interested.

LJ is a problem child. The guy can't get out of his own way. No thanks.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
08-24-2010, 11:17 PM
Amazing that 2-3 years ago Johnson was considered maybe the top RB in the game. Now he is being cut by Washington.

Also the irony of remembering that LJ was the player that KC took with our 27th pick when we traded up to grab Troy.

Now that I get past the history of it.....the answer is a solid no to both.

fezziwig
08-27-2010, 04:05 PM
I would like to see Willie play for another team ans see what he can do. I think our runningback Wright should remain on our team. He's a dynamo. I heard on the radio today Dwyer is starting to show a glimps of his talent.

Stewie
08-28-2010, 08:36 AM
I watched the Skins game last night. Larry Johnson sat out, but he's got too many miles on him to peak my interest. FWP? No longer has the giddy-up. He had a whole bunch of thre-yards-or-less carries. Last game he almost got McNabb killed by putting out a chickenwing on a blitz. He's never been a powerback or a good receiver, so I pass. Now if we could just find the way to trade ARE ...

fezziwig
08-28-2010, 03:34 PM
I watched the Skins game last night. Larry Johnson sat out, but he's got too many miles on him to peak my interest. FWP? No longer has the giddy-up. He had a whole bunch of thre-yards-or-less carries. Last game he almost got McNabb killed by putting out a chickenwing on a blitz. He's never been a powerback or a good receiver, so I pass. Now if we could just find the way to trade ARE ...

Do you think ARE is done as a reeiver ? I always seen glimps of flash in the guy but, I never misssed him once he left. I just heard somewhere a sporting show that our ex-player Washington isn't worth the cabbage the Titans paid for him. As if we didn't know that.

MaxAMillion
08-29-2010, 12:30 AM
We need to add a RB but I wouldn't add Johnson or Parker. Both guys are pretty much shot. I would much rather see the Steelers try and find a young back who is sitting on the bench. Those types of backs don't have much wear and tear on their bodies. RB is also a position where a young player can come in and play fairly easily.